Georgetown 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2019

Post by rolldodge »

Perhaps it would be more accurate to say “rare out of conference resume building win”. In-conference games are a bit of a different duck as they are played by default every year, regardless of schedule shuffling. And winning in-conference games is necessary and valuable regardless of the strength of the opponent as they determine entrance to and seed in the big east tournament. Of the two paths to the NCAAs, they fall in the “win Big East tournament” path although you are right that that’s not to say that those wins can’t help on the other “at large” path.

Out of conference schedule is another beast. If you have a number of very strong out of conference opponents, they become “nice to win” games that help your tournament resume even if you lose. Pick up one or two of those wins and you can make the tournment at-large, as well as playing for the big east championship. Think of Villanova last year getting into the tournament after losing in the BE semifinals. Georgetown would not have made it if they lost in the finals.

As it stands now, I would say that only Towson and Loyola are out of conference games that will help us with an at-large if we win, and may help us and certainly won’t hurt us if we lose. All the other out of conference games don’t help much if we win and definitely hurt if we lose.

It’s not the end of the world, and you are right that we will have chances to play our way in, but also that the margin is slim. Improving our schedule going forward is something that the program needs to work on, and it has gotten worse year over year the past few. I think a good, achievable goal would be to get back one ACC opponent.

Regardless, looking forward to watching the team progress as the year advances and looking forward to a battle with Towson!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

I am well aware of how OOC differs from conference games. Your initial comment, which you now clarified, didn’t differentiate. That prompted my response in regard to the Hoyas overall schedule and games that can improve a playoff resume away from the AQ route. Agree with all your comments about path to playoffs, in conference vs out etc. Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Your point was well taken and thus the clarification, apologies if it came off as pedantic. One game at time. Let’s go hoyas!
callaxdad

Post by callaxdad »

Suffice it to say that only 2 of the 10 non conference games are resume builders. The goal, IMO, is to win the 8 OOC game you're supposed to, finish first or second in the BE regular season and make it to the BE Championship game. Ambitious but doable goals. Winning the AQ and a quality non conference win might get you a game at The Coop!! Ok, I will slow my roll! Haha. Plenty to work on and tighten up, but, off to a good start to the season.

Go Hoyas!!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Tough one for the Hoyas yesterday. Too much time on defense turned a close game through 3 quarters into a fairly decisive Towson victory. Woodall was very strong, as expected, at the face off X. Thought Gtown actually did a nice job of containing the break off face off and caused a good amount of turnovers between the restraining boxes throughout the game. Turning it back over after causing a turnover, some inside chances not finished and lack of success on man up hurt vs a high quality opponent with a hot goalie. Not sugarcoating the loss but Towson is a legit team - Combination of dominant fogo, very strong goalie and dynamic attack is a formula that wins a lot of games. A Game the Hoyas needed to play much better overall in order to win. Learn from the experience and move forward.

Mount on Tuesday will be interesting test. They are 0-3 but have played 3 quality opponents tough - Delaware, Towson (12-7) and UMBC. Plus weekday games always a wildcard. Think this team can bounce back but has to start with a strong effort on Tuesday.

Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Defense looked really solid for 3 quarters then ran out of gas. Love the aggressiveness and ability to take away the ball. The ride is superb and kept them in the game.

It's too bad they could not get more possessions off the faceoff. Some untimely turnovers hurt too. With more possession time, the attack could have been more aggressive. I think our guys could have challenged the D more one-on-one with success -- and Towson has a very solid D, so that is a positive sign.

Goalie play not as strong as the first two, but not a terrible effort and I think he will bounce back.

FOs need work. Tough being a freshman going up against one of the top FO men in the country who is also a beast. Gotta hit that weight room. Woodall is great, but I doubt he goes 83% on the season, so we definitely underperformed.

Defense allowing Sunday 4 goals in the fourth quarter brought back PTSD flashbacks of Marr in the playoffs last year. That's a coaching issue -- can't let one man beat you that many times over and over in that short a time span.

Not a great loss, but I think we can learn a lot from it, and think the team is stronger than the score indicates.

On to St. Mary's where we should be able to take care of business.
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Roll Dodge - Agree completely on the Marr comparison. Have to make someone else beat you. I do love the aggressive style, but to your point, if you are losing that percentage of face offs, you have to value each possession more than Hoyas did vs Towson. Need to sacrifice some of the marginal fast break opportunities to control tempo. This team has talent, plays incredibly hard and can use Saturday’s lessons to get better. Go get em tomorrow night. Let’s go Hoyas!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

As we are learning in D1 lacrosse, any win is a good win. Kudos to the Hoyas for taking control in 4th quarter and getting the W. The Mount is a physical team, with a strong goalie and has some legit shooters. Like ROMO, this game easily could have gone the other way. This Hoya team plays incredibly hard and found a way. One at a time. Upperclassmen led the way but the young players continue to contribute. 4th quarter showed a lot about this team and it’s character.

Good news - won the face off X, ground balls, overall shots and shots on goal (by a good margin), and turnover stat almost 2-1 in Hoyas favor. Offensive ball movement was excellent and this team can put up goals. Defense settled down after rough 1st quarter and, especially in 2nd half, looked in full control in 6 V 6.

Not so great news - Man up 1-5 and now 2-10 in last two games. With amount of offensive weapons on this team that has to get better. Goalies only had 6 total saves, but give Warne credit for making the switch early in 3rd. Freshman Brandau made some nice saves and seemed to give defense a spark at a crucial time in the game. All three goalies are strong and think Hoyas are fine there (McElroy was lights out first two games) over long haul.

On to Hofstra Saturday. Should be another battle.

Let’s go Hoyas!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Towson takes down #1 Loyola.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Our only loss is to the #1 team in the nation. 😀🤪
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Nice decisive win for the hoyas!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Hoyas were locked in from the opening whistle. Offense continues to have great rhythm, with numerous different goal scorers stepping up each game. That was one of the Big preseason questions. Could the Hoyas find more middie scoring/consistent scoring on attack away from just Bucaro and Carraway. So far the answer is yes and I think gives this team huge upside. I love the defense, and away from a few pick plays that set up Favorable matchups, this close unit continues to impress. Hoyas are consistently very tough between restraining lines and that was no different today. Riding, 50/50 GBs, and transitioning both ways are really becoming strengths of this team. McElroy big bounce back game in cage and outlets and clearing were strong. Face offs a work in progress but freshman Reilly has a ton of talent and do think the percentages get better as year goes on. Big shoutout as well to Alum turnout. Dutch Dome was heavily Blue and Gray and team definitely fed off the support. With Towson beating #1 Loyola and Hoyas with an impressive effort today, will be interesting to see where ranking comes in this week. My guess is #13 in Media poll. Furman next up on Tuesday. One at a time. Let’s go Hoyas!
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

Agree, the Hoyas looked like a playoff team. Strong all around, nice passing, lots of firepower. Good luck the rest of the way.
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Nassaufan wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:15 pm HU-GT highlights:

https://www.lisportsnews.com/georgetown-at-hofstra/
Thank you Nassaufan and good luck to Hofstra the rest of the way!
Uklax

Post by Uklax »

Anyone know why wittenberg isn’t playing vs Furman?
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Hoyas continue to roll with an 18-6 win over Furman. Not that this was unexpected but Furman did play UNC to 14-10. Now, with only loss to #1 Towson, Mount win looking better after they beat Richmond today etc. the Hoyas are on a roll heading up to Fairfield for game on Saturday.

The issue for the Hoyas, as Roll Dodge has said numerous times, is that despite the strong start and the improving resume of teams they have played so far, there remains almost no wiggle room for a hiccup in order to make NCAAs (away from a BE Championship or maybe loss in finals). Fairfield, Drexel, Providence, SJU etc have to be wins. I still believe the path taken the past two years was the right one - rebuild a winning tradition, amass great recruiting classes and find a way to make NCAA playoffs. Check the box on all three. Hoyas look like a legitimate playoff team and I love how this team is playing. SoS is only concern but can only control the schedule they have at this point. Go get after the Stags on Saturday. One at a time. Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK25 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:14 pm Hoyas continue to roll with an 18-6 win over Furman. Not that this was unexpected but Furman did play UNC to 14-10. Now, with only loss to #1 Towson, Mount win looking better after they beat Richmond today etc. the Hoyas are on a roll heading up to Fairfield for game on Saturday.

The issue for the Hoyas, as Roll Dodge has said numerous times, is that despite the strong start and the improving resume of teams they have played so far, there remains almost no wiggle room for a hiccup in order to make NCAAs (away from a BE Championship or maybe loss in finals). Fairfield, Drexel, Providence, SJU etc have to be wins. I still believe the path taken the past two years was the right one - rebuild a winning tradition, amass great recruiting classes and find a way to make NCAA playoffs. Check the box on all three. Hoyas look like a legitimate playoff team and I love how this team is playing. SoS is only concern but can only control the schedule they have at this point. Go get after the Stags on Saturday. One at a time. Let’s go Hoyas!
Encouraging to see some decisive victories and the offense really seeming to gel. Defense also stepping up particularly on the ride and with Caused Turnovers. SOS still an issue (#40 on Massey ranking, and #36 on LaxBytes). I do wonder if it was a deliberate strategy, or if in the conference re-shuffling, higher tier teams just decided to drop us. Hopefully, with the increase in parity, it will start to be less of an issue. Either way, as you say, just gotta keep winning games.

Hoya Saxa!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Was up at Fairfield Saturday. The team continues to do all the little things well, play great team D and the offense is legit. The off ball movement is excellent, they are unselfish and have multiple scoring threats beyond Bucaro, Carraway and Whittenberg. Was looking at the YTD stats. Hoyas are decisively winning in every single category except FO, where it’s about 46% but trending the right way as freshman Reilly coming on and other two boys are very capable.

Watched Drexel play Michigan and Villanova. This team can really play. Given loss last year, I am sure the Hoyas know that and will be prepared to play a strong opponent.

With Drexel, Marquette, Denver, Loyola and Villanova coming up, we will find out soon how good the Hoyas are. Should be a fun next few weeks for this team.

Let’s go Hoyas!
HGK25

Post by HGK25 »

Hoyas continue to fly under the radar, as the record is overshadowed by the resume in the “experts” eyes. Drexel was a very nice win vs a quality opponent who had just beaten Villanova. Hoyas again showed a lot of character after losing a 9-5 lead late in 2nd quarter (9-8 at half). Hoyas came out strong early in 3rd quarter and result was never really in doubt after scoring two early 2nd half goals to take an 11-8 lead. Marquette up next, coming off A strong effort in beating Michigan Saturday. Always a battle when Hoyas and Marquette square off. One at a time.

Let’s go Hoyas!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”