D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxfan1313

Re: Maryland 2021

Post by laxfan1313 »

Congrats Terps.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Great teams always find a way to win ... whether pretty or ugly.

Don’t know how far the Terps will go, but this is one heck of a squad. Good luck in the tournament.

Ok, I’m going to throw up now.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I remember those early Tills years upsets of Hopkins and how Hop seemed so tight and to just crumble to the nerves and now seeing the Terps in the position of favorite you really see how crazy this rivalry is. The underdog just plays with such energy and emotion and the pressure of losing the game always gets to the favorite. Glad the Terps could battle through it. Onto the dance!
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 pm Great teams always find a way to win ... whether pretty or ugly.

Don’t know how far the Terps will go, but this is one heck of a squad. Good luck in the tournament.

So it seems like you are doubting the Terps national quest, and that's very fair, but I would just say that Hopkins is a really good team now. Of course there is zero analytical justification that they are as good as the others, but lacrosse watchers can see that beating Hop now is not like beating Hop 2 months ago
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:36 pm Great teams always find a way to win ... whether pretty or ugly.

So it seems like you are doubting the Terps national quest, and that's very fair, but I would just say that Hopkins is a really good team now. Of course there is zero analytical justification that they are as good as the others, but lacrosse watchers can see that beating Hop now is not like beating Hop 2 months ago
They’ve actually jumped up quite a bit in the analytical rankings. Defensive efficiency up to 31st, right around where UNC is and offensive efficiency is up to Top 25
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Should I assume Cluck U Chicken is going to be rocking tonight?
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

So Hop showed the defensive formula to beat MD. #6 had a sweet goal and at least tonight looked like he may be the best self-creating scoring threat besides the great one. Maybe he will be the secret sauce.

This was a great test for the Terps and it's insanely hard to beat a blood rival 3x especially when they are very talented and improved 100% from April.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

keno in reno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 pm So Hop showed the defensive formula to beat MD. #6 had a sweet goal and at least tonight looked like he may be the best self-creating scoring threat besides the great one. Maybe he will be the secret sauce.

This was a great test for the Terps and it's insanely hard to beat a blood rival 3x especially when they are very talented and improved 100% from April.
I think zone confuses the Terps a bit, but I’m not sure the formula to beat the Terps is “Jared and Logan misplace and drop tons of passes they normally make in their sleep.” Hop played well on D but the # of routine errors was just kind of wild. I doubt that happens much often again
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

jrn19 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:26 pm
keno in reno wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:24 pm So Hop showed the defensive formula to beat MD. #6 had a sweet goal and at least tonight looked like he may be the best self-creating scoring threat besides the great one. Maybe he will be the secret sauce.

I think zone confuses the Terps a bit, but I’m not sure the formula to beat the Terps is “Jared and Logan misplace and drop tons of passes they normally make in their sleep.” Hop played well on D but the # of routine errors was just kind of wild. I doubt that happens much often again
They were also uncharacteristically bad on ground balls and pushed exactly zero transitions. I know they’re not run and gun but they’re usually good for a couple fast break goals.

And I’d also like to point out how unlucky we got on a few of Hopkins early goals were. Puglise slips, smith trips himself up, and then puglise breaks a stick...all three directly led to a Hopkins player getting an open look and a goal.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:05 am

They were also uncharacteristically bad on ground balls and pushed exactly zero transitions. I know they’re not run and gun but they’re usually good for a couple fast break goals.

And I’d also like to point out how unlucky we got on a few of Hopkins early goals were. Puglise slips, smith trips himself up, and then puglise breaks a stick...all three directly led to a Hopkins player getting an open look and a goal.
I don't think anyone is arguing against you. Despite how bad Hopkins looked in March, it is very difficult to beat a team of their talent level 3 times in a season. That is a huge accomplishment, and it will never be appreciated how good it really is because Hop will not get a chance prove themselves outside the B1G sphere.

This is a great Terps team. Not perfect, but great. They have what, maybe a 33% chance of winning the national championship, just like Duke, UNC, ND and UVA. Winning the B1G tournament should be celebrated, and beating a (now) very good JHU team twice in the past 2 weeks is a big accomplishment.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:15 am

I don't think anyone is arguing against you. Despite how bad Hopkins looked in March, it is very difficult to beat a team of their talent level 3 times in a season. That is a huge accomplishment, and it will never be appreciated how good it really is because Hop will not get a chance prove themselves outside the B1G sphere.

This is a great Terps team. Not perfect, but great. They have what, maybe a 33% chance of winning the national championship, just like Duke, UNC, ND and UVA. Winning the B1G tournament should be celebrated, and beating a (now) very good JHU team twice in the past 2 weeks is a big accomplishment.
Right I was just saying that I wouldn’t read too much into this game being a “formula” for how to beat the terps (not that I’m suggesting they can’t be beat or anything). Some bad bounces, some very sloppy play, some really unlucky defensive mishaps...all played a part. Just like how I don’t think the 2nd Hopkins game was any blueprint either. Marcille was the reason that one was even close.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:30 am

Right I was just saying that I wouldn’t read too much into this game being a “formula” for how to beat the terps (not that I’m suggesting they can’t be beat or anything). Some bad bounces, some very sloppy play, some really unlucky defensive mishaps...all played a part. Just like how I don’t think the 2nd Hopkins game was any blueprint either. Marcille was the reason that one was even close.
Yeah, that should have been the perfect formula to beat MD. They did a great job on Jared, and JHU scored a bunch of goofy goals in the first half. As the youngsters say, it was a low-key great game by the Terps. Makar and the defense won it for them.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am

Yeah, that should have been the perfect formula to beat MD. They did a great job on Jared, and JHU scored a bunch of goofy goals in the first half. As the youngsters say, it was a low-key great game by the Terps. Makar and the defense won it for them.
Yeah I’ll definitely give them credit for their game plan on JB. Second straight game they’ve really limited his impact.
viho

Post by viho »

Resurrection from the gettysburg varsity team put down. May it speed their return to D3. :lol:
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

What the heck did Tillman say in the postgame huddle that sent the team into a frenzy? :lol:
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:40 am What the heck did Tillman say in the postgame huddle that sent the team into a frenzy? :lol:
They put it out in this video
https://twitter.com/terpsmlax/status/13 ... 38657?s=21
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 11:40 am What the heck did Tillman say in the postgame huddle that sent the team into a frenzy? :lol:
"We're going to Disney world!!"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

NYterp09 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:59 am
keno in reno wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:55 am

Yeah I’ll definitely give them credit for their game plan on JB. Second straight game they’ve really limited his impact.
crazy quick double and pack in. recover before they find backside.
kryptonite?
terp talk

Re: Maryland 2021---#1 Seed

Post by terp talk »

All the "experts" minus Mark Dixon (the brightest of the bunch) have been pushing the narrative of the weakness of the Big Ten. Hogwash, we won't know the reality of this until the tournament starts. But to beat a rising Hopkins team 3 times, Rutgers twice, Ohio State twice, etc is no small task. Can anyone think the that the Big Teams would have not been successful against anyone else..

Maryland is 12-0 and going into the tournament should clearly be the #1 seed. Anything less would be an insult to both Maryland and the Big Ten.
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2021---#1 Seed

Post by keno in reno »

terp talk wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:42 pm All the "experts" minus Mark Dixon (the brightest of the bunch) have been pushing the narrative of the weakness of the Big Ten. Hogwash, we won't know the reality of this until the tournament starts. But to beat a rising Hopkins team 3 times, Rutgers twice, Ohio State twice, etc is no small task. Can anyone think the that the Big Teams would have not been successful against anyone else..

Maryland is 12-0 and going into the tournament should clearly be the #1 seed. Anything less would be an insult to both Maryland and the Big Ten.
Agreed that going 12-0 in the B1G should get them the #1 seed. That's amazing to not blink or lose focus one time and, B1G may be down a bit, those are all top notch athletes.

That said, UNC 'looks' like the best team right now and there is certainly an argument to put them #1. In the end, it doesn't matter that much. This is a pretty brutal path for any team to win the national championship.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”