Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
nyjay

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by nyjay »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:09 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 pm Again, I like Cole, but how else did Hop benefit from the situation?
"Benefit" is the key word here, no? Kirson certainly didn't help you all this year. Had Fernandez not torn his ACL, maybe he would have helped (although Delaney...who wouldn't be playing lax had not COVID hit... seems like a pretty good LSM, no?). Pretty sure you're happy Szuluk didn't stay at Lafayette, as I'm sure he is, too. Let's not act like Hop didn't hit the portal or use the COVID year to add talent to its roster. Again, "benefit" is the key word there...
Everything is relative - did Hop "benefit" (however defined) as much as the ACC teams or UMd or Rutgers? Nope. They sure did benefit more than the Ivies or Army or Navy. My point being that all of the serious 2021 national title contenders aren't reasonable facsimiles of a "normal, non-COVID" DI team. They all have multiple great 5th year guys and/or transfers (grad or otherwise). This situation will continue to work itself out over the next 3 years (due to the eligibility extensions) and maybe Hop will benefit from it one of these years. But the competitive balance in D1 in 2021 has been markedly affected by the changes resulting from COVID (I mean, the Ivies didn't even play). I'm not sure anyone can really deny that.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

nyjay wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:17 am
nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:58 pm Again, I like Cole, but how else did Hop benefit from the situation?
"Benefit" is the key word here, no? Kirson certainly didn't help you all this year. Had Fernandez not torn his ACL, maybe he would have helped (although Delaney...who wouldn't be playing lax had not COVID hit... seems like a pretty good LSM, no?). Pretty sure you're happy Szuluk didn't stay at Lafayette, as I'm sure he is, too. Let's not act like Hop didn't hit the portal or use the COVID year to add talent to its roster. Again, "benefit" is the key word there...
Everything is relative - did Hop "benefit" (however defined) as much as the ACC teams or UMd or Rutgers? Nope. They sure did benefit more than the Ivies or Army or Navy. My point being that all of the serious 2021 national title contenders aren't reasonable facsimiles of a "normal, non-COVID" DI team. They all have multiple great 5th year guys and/or transfers (grad or otherwise). This situation will continue to work itself out over the next 3 years (due to the eligibility extensions) and maybe Hop will benefit from it one of these years. But the competitive balance in D1 in 2021 has been markedly affected by the changes resulting from COVID (I mean, the Ivies didn't even play). I'm not sure anyone can really deny that.
I mean, Duke had what, 4 straight years of 5th year guys? Turned em into F4 berths every year and a national title. There's never going to be a reasonable facsimile of a D1 team every year. Scenarios and different situations will always turn up. As Wheels said; if Kirson was awesome all year long and Fernandez provided more depth at LSM, maybe Hopkins is 7-6 instead of 4-9 and they look like a team that really benefitted. Instead, Kirson sucked and Fernandez got hurt.
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

No one denies that. What I deny is pretending like seniors staying is the same as snagging transfers who jumped ship. Because only a select few teams really benefited, in a significant way, from that.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I took your original comment on the matter as a comparison between a team in Maryland that has transfers/grad transfers/COVID transfers/COVID graduate students and one that did not in Hopkins. Hopkins might not have benefitted from their transfers but they certainly had those transfers.

With Bloomberg's Billions, it's going to be really interesting to see how Milliman sorts out his quite bloated roster. He probably doesn't want to carry 56 players on the roster like he did this year, although Bloomberg's Billions could certainly allow him to do just than and not run afoul of the 12.6 athletic scholarship NCAA requirements. Milliman is going to have a lot more flexibility in taking advantage of the COVID bonus year than most programs. Will be interesting to see who he picks to stay around for the the bonus year. I'm sure the 2022 Hopkins Forum will have 100 pages dedicated just to roster moves.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:30 am
I took your original comment on the matter as a comparison between a team in Maryland that has transfers/grad transfers/COVID transfers/COVID graduate students and one that did not in Hopkins. Hopkins might not have benefitted from their transfers but they certainly had those transfers.

With Bloomberg's Billions, it's going to be really interesting to see how Milliman sorts out his quite bloated roster. He probably doesn't want to carry 56 players on the roster like he did this year, although Bloomberg's Billions could certainly allow him to do just than and not run afoul of the 12.6 athletic scholarship NCAA requirements. Milliman is going to have a lot more flexibility in taking advantage of the COVID bonus year than most programs. Will be interesting to see who he picks to stay around for the the bonus year. I'm sure the 2022 Hopkins Forum will have 100 pages dedicated just to roster moves.
Why will Milliman have a lot more flexibility with the bonus year vs. all the other teams?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

I thought the Hopkins close defense had their best game of the season. Can’t remember a contest when I saw the D knock down so many shots. Marcille only saved three shots, but his communication with the D was palpable.

9CTs and 30GBs for the team outside Narewski’s 7. Terps scored 18 goals in the first game, 14 in the second and 11 tonight if you don’t count the empty netter. That’s progress.

Reinson had a remarkable game: 6GBs and 2CTs. Delaney added 4GBs and 1CT.

Watching the Jays’ offense after the 1st qtr. was like watching a faucet turned off—just a trickle of O. 3 six on six goals scored in the last three qtrs. and two were Epstein’s GLE unassisted efforts.

I haven’t checked, but believe the 10 turnovers in the 3rd qtr. were the most committed in a qtr. this season. Blame tired legs, tightness and the Terps’ vise like pressure, but the Jays’ gave up numerous possessions without even a shot on goal. Yet their D managed to keep the Terps at bay.

Degnon learned that he is not a good shooter when he doesn’t set his feet—as Dixon noted. 1 for 9 shooting. The whole attack disappeared after Baskin’s goal to start the 3rd, suffering from stickitis (holding the ball in your stick too long which causes your teammates to stand around). I know, I know, players are desperate to make something happen, but the opposite happens—turnovers.

Still, the freshmen middies continued to produce with three goals, albeit all in the 1st qtr.

Overall, the Hopkins D was the equal of the Maryland D, but the offense was a notch below. Jays don’t have anyone like Maltz who can consistently finish inside, although McDermott shows promise. Casey was a three-year starter at attack in HS.

Congratulations to Matt Narewski, Garrett Degnon and Jared Reinson who made the BIG All-Tournament team along with five Terps, one Wolverine and one Scarlet Knight.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

stat line of the attack

Epstein 3g 0a 3 turnovers
Williams 0g 1a 2 turnovers
DeSimone 0g 0a 2 turnovers

7 turnovers out of your veteran starting attack unit while producing 4 points is the ball game right there.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Whether it was the extra game in the 7 days or the Maryland defense - probably both - but the 14 turnovers in the second half was the story. I'm trying to remember the 14 Hopkins shots in the second half - I would have guessed way less. As HOB noted - it spoiled a fantastic performance by the defense - 3 goals over 30 minutes from the Terps - 11 goals before the empty netter has to way under their average. But Maryland is just a better team.

I didn't look back to see who raised the issue but if Milliman did not use a time out before the one he called at 14 seconds left in the game then I think that was maybe a mistake. You could see it slipping away inch by inch as the third quarter went on and I think a TO Baby would have been a good move. I know he probably thought that he should have them to save possessions in a tight game so it's defensible but you likely had a tired bunch that were taking body blows from a better team.
Young Warrior

Post by Young Warrior »

Great effort last night by the Jays. Sets up for a very interesting next year.
Would think MD is still the favorite till proven otherwise
Hop and Michigan look to be strongly on the rise and return a lot.
Rutgers and OSU lose a ton
I still have no idea what to make of PSU but would guess they may be near the bottom next year.
Curious how all of these coaches balance roster sizes and the transfer portal (both coming and going) in the offseason.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

nyjay wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:02 pm
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am
3. Not a big fan of the refs tonight. Really seemed like every borderline call went against the Jays (the call on the Degnon goal excepted). You could hear it in Dixon's call too (on the McManus slash, the Makar/DeSo push/crosscheck no call and the Makar laying on/holding the ball call in particular).
I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end. You gotta let teams play in the fourth quarter, not micromanage the game like it's HS girl's lacrosse. Reminded me of the totally bogus endline call in the last MD game where Marcille was CLEARLY closer to the ball going out than the UMD player. The Z film analysis on that one says it wasn't even close. Conspiracy theory? Hmmm.....

D looked great all game. IF the Jays could have done much of anything on offense in the second half they would have won that game anyway despite the refs. Jays went toe-to-toe with the best team in the country last night after a very long chaotic year. The team showed a ton of heart last night. I didn't think there was much hope for the future three weeks ago but now I definitely do.
IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am

IMO, the officiating was fine... with the possible exception of the first half goal where Hop player wound up in goal mouth. Thought flag should have been thrown and push called on Terps.
And wave off the goal?
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am
tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:46 am

And wave off the goal?
Sorry. Yes 44, isn't that the rule, incidental contact or not?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:27 am Whether it was the extra game in the 7 days or the Maryland defense - probably both - but the 14 turnovers in the second half was the story. I'm trying to remember the 14 Hopkins shots in the second half - I would have guessed way less. As HOB noted - it spoiled a fantastic performance by the defense - 3 goals over 30 minutes from the Terps - 11 goals before the empty netter has to way under their average. But Maryland is just a better team.

I didn't look back to see who raised the issue but if Milliman did not use a time out before the one he called at 14 seconds left in the game then I think that was maybe a mistake. You could see it slipping away inch by inch as the third quarter went on and I think a TO Baby would have been a good move. I know he probably thought that he should have them to save possessions in a tight game so it's defensible but you likely had a tired bunch that were taking body blows from a better team.
when you're going 10, then 15, then 20 minutes without a goal, without really decent or for ling stretches any shots, and turning the ball over on about every time down, you need a timeout.
not cheering for hopkins mind you, but i was imploring for milliman to get a t.o. for about ten minutes.

settle them, get them in something. give them some kind of direction. the looked lost. attack a bit intimidated and hesitant.
maybe it was just me, but it looked like the coaches kept sending out the 1s in late. the freshies got in once inside 5 minutes left, but before that they seemed to be left out. if that happened, don't believe that ultimately helped anyone.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:49 am
44WeWantMore wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:47 am And wave off the goal?
If that's the rule it's a brain-dead stupid one. You may as well push the kid in the crease every time. Better to get an EMO than an automatic score. I credit the refs for making a fair call here then playing to rank stupidity. The rest of the calls, I'm not so sure about.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:53 am
If that's the rule it's a brain-dead stupid one. You may as well push the kid in the crease every time. Better to get an EMO than an automatic score. I credit the refs for making a fair call here then playing to rank stupidity. The rest of the calls, I'm not so sure about.
Take it up with Rules Committee, I'm sure you know better.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

tech37 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:56 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:53 am
Take it up with Rules Committee, I'm sure you know better.
Yeah, I'll debate with morons. Good idea.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 am I have to agree with this. I thought the officiating was very one-sided. Especially those bogus EMO's for Maryland at the end.
Exactly what planet do you live on? There was only one penalty on Hopkins in the 4th quarter and it WAS DEFINITELY a penalty that would have been called by 100% of the refs - you cannot blast an opposing player into his own bench way after he's let go of the ball - cross check or unnecessary - should have been called. Whether it was fatigue or frustration it was a horrible decision. The ball was live and being contested and it was essentially your last chance. The one on Epstein is by rule - he broke his stick hitting a player. I don't remember the McManus slash - might have been ticky tacky but it didn't cost Hopkins a goal - so it was 3 personal fouls Hopkins 2 personal fouls Maryland and one of Maryland's was non releasable. What exactly was one-sided? Refs didn't matter AT ALL. 14 turnovers and 5 shots on goal in the second half is why Hopkins lost
DMac

Post by DMac »

Watched the game, was pulling for Hop. Not disputing whether or not the officiating favored one team or the other. Officiating wasn't the reason Maryland won though, it was Hop's inability to capitalize on the many opportunities they had to score. I don't know what happened to them but it was a different team coming down the stretch and not a different team in a good way. Credit Maryland's D to a certain extent but it was Hop's shooting themselves in the foot and squandering golden opportunities that cost them this game more than anything else. Hop should have won this one, they had Maryland on their heels but they helped them regain their balance with TOs and missed shots. A much improved team from the beginning of the season so at least they've given the Hop faithful a lot of hope for a good season next year.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

HappyHourLax wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 3:55 am...Yes I took this personally. No I do not care. Unless you have anything positive to say about him, keep it to yourself.
Happy, this is a discussion-based forum. If people want to share a thought, a perspective, they have every right to share it. If it's fabricated and/or libelous, that's a different issue. But sharing negative opinions about a coach, even if you know the coach personally (which is the case for all but all of us as the lacrosse world is a small world), is not something we rail against. Which is not to say that you can't post your post that I quoted above. I just wanted to give you a heads-up that if someone does deride a coach that you have an emotional connection to, the rules of this forum will not be on your side.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”