Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by laxbro11 »

Laxfan01 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:25 pm Where are the critics now?? I guess we do have the guys! Great win for the boys, so proud of how the team has responded. A win on Sunday would put a ribbon on the last week and a half

This is the Loyola I think we all expect to see and I have been a big critic of Loyola this first 3/4s of the season... There was no passion, enthusiasm, heart... We would not have had a play like Benus had running out the Gb late in the game the first half of the season. Credit to the coaches for getting the switch flipped and putting the players in the opportunity for a PL championship and for the players rising to the occasion.

When coaches started switching up the middie lines that = more production. This has allowed Lindley, James and Olmstead and even Poitras to to thrive. Which we now see close defenders having to slide to the attack which is allowing better shots from the Mids and more scoring opportunities.

Keys to Lehigh

1. Remember Savio was just coming back from injury against Lehigh, he was not 100%. Double pole, beat Sissleburger up, win the wing battle.
2. IMO SSDMs are their weak point on the D... Keep having Olmstead or even James run in and get the shortie.
3. Defense keep doing what you do... I dont care what the play by play said last night about Wyers on Nichtern, Wyers did a great job shutting him down and not allowing hip to take over. I like the aggressiveness of the D as a whole.

I like our chances... Even if we lose, I believe we get an at large, the only thing that could hurt us is if Hopkins wins. I think Army is out, Rutgers out
lorin

Post by lorin »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am
lorin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 am
GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 1:49 am
cantrelax wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:19 am Are we in, win or lose?
I'm going to contradict myself and say, I think we are in now. What happens in other conferences still matters. Hopkins beating UMD will steal an at-large bid, for example. But the run we're on, with consecutive wins against Georgetown, Navy, and Army is hard to ignore.

Winning on Sunday and removing all doubt would be extra special. Note that no team has ever won the PL championship after having to play in the quarterfinal round. Let's make history!
What history are you making?
No team has won the Patriot League tournament after having to play in the quarterfinal round. If Loyola wins tomorrow, they will be the first in history to do so.
Army won 3 games in 2019 to win it
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

lorin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 12:24 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 10:47 am
lorin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:42 am
I'm going to contradict myself and say, I think we are in now. What happens in other conferences still matters. Hopkins beating UMD will steal an at-large bid, for example. But the run we're on, with consecutive wins against Georgetown, Navy, and Army is hard to ignore.

Winning on Sunday and removing all doubt would be extra special. Note that no team has ever won the PL championship after having to play in the quarterfinal round. Let's make history!
What history are you making?
No team has won the Patriot League tournament after having to play in the quarterfinal round. If Loyola wins tomorrow, they will be the first in history to do so.
Army won 3 games in 2019 to win it
I guess that was so long ago that I forgot all about it. :D

Thanks the correction.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

So I figured I'd give you blind homers a few hours to enjoy that gift from the Lax Gods.

We eeked out a 1 goal game against Army. My guess is if the Black Knights had gotten one more possession, we'd probably be starting a "2022 Loyola" thread. Fortunately, we're still alive, albeit on life support. Unfortunately, I think Lehigh is about to pull the plug on us.

Last game against Lehigh we got murdered. Now we get to return to the scene of the crime and get killed again. We didn't win ONE quarter against them. We couldn't draw a slide. We couldn't make a save. It was ugly. There is a reason they are 10-1 and have been ranked in the top 10 all year. They have way more talent and depth than us. Their defense held us to 6 measly goals last time and their offense is en fuego. They haven't scored under 10 goals this whole year. You think we can keep up on offense? :lol:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But Lehigh is the class of the PL this year, guys. It was a nice run, but Lehigh will cruise. And I have a feeling Lehigh is probably gonna flex on the Hounds. You won't want to DVR this one.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Well, the Hounds have a win against the Big East Champions.

Tonight, we need to be Terps fans.

Again, I am eating my own words, but I think the Hounds are in the tournament given our signature win against Georgetown is stronger than Army's against Syracuse. Drexel's win today helps us too. Of course, it would be ideal to beat Lehigh tomorrow and remove all doubt.

Congratulations to the lady Hounds on their 5th Patriot League Championship and 11th win in a row!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Long time ago but reminds me a lot of Hobart’s 2004 season (for people who weren’t paying attention then while the open butler loss was odd, Stan Ross had built them into a regular near top 20 program somewhere similar to like Richmond/Robert Morris area today). The OSU one was a killer because we were up like 9-3 mid Q3 or something maybe even an 8 goal lead and that was an undefeated team probably Breachi’s best before he left for UNC. We got in even w a L to national runner up Navy in the PL finals (in OT) but otherwise pretty hot down the stretch. Beat Cornell is reg season final and got them right back in Rd 1. Would be hilarious if you got GTown as that would make this comparable better.

*and then the PL kicked us out and the following year we joined he league Loyola was in, ECAC, until 2013 or around there when Loyola joined the PL.

OVERALL 9 - 7
PCT .562
CONF 6 - 1
CONF PCT .857
STREAK1 L1
HOME 5 - 1
AWAY 3 - 5

Butler University
Sat, Feb. 28, 2004 1:00 PM
vs Butler
Brooklandville, Md.
LOSS 6 - 7
Game Recap
Box Score

Holy Cross
Sat, Mar. 6, 2004 1:00 PM
at Holy Cross
PLWorcester, Mass.
WIN 14 - 6
Game Recap
Box Score

Lehigh University
Sat, Mar. 13, 2004 1:00 PM
at Lehigh
PLBethlehem, Pa.
WIN 11 - 4
Game Recap
Box Score

United States Naval Academy
Tue, Mar. 16, 2004 1:00 PM
at #9 Navy
PLAnnapolis, Md.
LOSS 8 - 13
Game Recap
Box Score

Georgetown University
Sat, Mar. 20, 2004 1:00 PM
at #6 Georgetown
Washington, D.C.
LOSS 7 - 9
Game Recap
Box Score

Lafayette College
Sat, Mar. 27, 2004 1:00 PM
vs Lafayette
PLGeneva, N.Y.
McCooey Field
WIN 18 - 7
Game Recap
Box Score

Syracuse University
Tue, Mar. 30, 2004 1:00 PM
at #3 Syracuse
Syracuse, N.Y.
LOSS 10 - 16Box Score

Bucknell University
Sat, Apr. 3, 2004 1:00 PM
vs Bucknell
PLGeneva, N.Y.
McCooey Field
WIN 13 - 9
Game Recap
Box Score

Colgate University
Wed, Apr. 7, 2004 7:00 PM
vs Colgate
PLGeneva, N.Y.
McCooey Field
WIN 8 - 4
Game Recap
Box Score

Penn State University
Sat, Apr. 10, 2004 1:00 PM
vs Penn State
Geneva, N.Y.
Boswell Field at David J Urick Stadium
WIN 8 - 7
Game Recap
Box Score

Ohio State University
Sat, Apr. 17, 2004 1:00 PM
vs #8 Ohio State
Geneva, N.Y.
Boswell Field at David J Urick Stadium
LOSS 12 - 13
Game Recap
Box Score

Army
Sat, Apr. 24, 2004 1:00 PM
at #13 Army
PLWest Point, N.Y.
WIN 14 - 8Box Score

Bucknell University
Fri, Apr. 30, 2004 12:00 PM
vs Bucknell
Annapolis, Md.
WIN 10 - 9
Game Recap
Box Score

United States Naval Academy
Sun, May. 2, 2004 1:00 PM
at #2 Navy
Annapolis, Md.
LOSS 8 - 9OT

Cornell University
Fri, May. 7, 2004 7:00 PM
vs #9 Cornell
WIN 12 - 10

Cornell University
Sat, May. 15, 2004 12:00 PM
at #9 CornellLOSS 5 - 11
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat May 08, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:44 pm Well, the Hounds have a win against the Big East Champions.

Tonight, we need to be Terps fans.

Again, I am eating my own words, but I think the Hounds are in the tournament given our signature win against Georgetown is stronger than Army's against Syracuse. Drexel's win today helps us too. Of course, it would be ideal to beat Lehigh tomorrow and remove all doubt.

Congratulations to the lady Hounds on their 5th Patriot League Championship and 11th win in a row!
im confused, how does Drexel's win help Loyola?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Because they’d be in contention for an At large had they lost
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

got it, okay. Also another question - does Georgetown winning the Big East today, further improve the Value of Loyola's win over them?

if i was a committee member, i'd see that the Hounds beat a top 10 team who also just won their conference by beating top 10 Big east team..

Maybe i'm biased but that's what i was thinkin after the final horn sounded
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think you are good. I know the display is garbage but look at the Hobart resume. We got three in from PL that year w Navy, Hobart and Army.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:38 pm So I figured I'd give you blind homers a few hours to enjoy that gift from the Lax Gods.

We eeked out a 1 goal game against Army. My guess is if the Black Knights had gotten one more possession, we'd probably be starting a "2022 Loyola" thread. Fortunately, we're still alive, albeit on life support. Unfortunately, I think Lehigh is about to pull the plug on us.

Last game against Lehigh we got murdered. Now we get to return to the scene of the crime and get killed again. We didn't win ONE quarter against them. We couldn't draw a slide. We couldn't make a save. It was ugly. There is a reason they are 10-1 and have been ranked in the top 10 all year. They have way more talent and depth than us. Their defense held us to 6 measly goals last time and their offense is en fuego. They haven't scored under 10 goals this whole year. You think we can keep up on offense? :lol:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news. But Lehigh is the class of the PL this year, guys. It was a nice run, but Lehigh will cruise. And I have a feeling Lehigh is probably gonna flex on the Hounds. You won't want to DVR this one.
I like your predictions Kramerica. Spot On!! :D
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

NovaHound wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 8:41 pm
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:38 pm So I figured I'd give you blind homers a few hours to enjoy that gift from the Lax Gods.

I like your predictions Kramerica. Spot On!! :D
;) :D
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Hey Kramerica, great to hear from you. I was worried you had suffered an aneurysm during that 4th quarter flurry by the Hounds. :)

Nice choice to double down on your predictions. You have a good chance of extending your (lack of) success. The Hounds are poised to pull their 4th consecutive upset.

One correction: Lehigh was held to just 8 goals in their humiliating loss to Villanova last week. They've struggled mightily in their last two contests, including against hapless 3-win Colgate, the worst clearing team in the nation. Clearing was an adventure for the Mountain Hawks the entire game. Maybe they switched jerseys?

Go Hounds!
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Anybody hear reports on your end that a positive Loyola COVID test has cancelled today’s game?
lorin

Post by lorin »

TopShelf585 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:08 am Anybody hear reports on your end that a positive Loyola COVID test has cancelled today’s game?
Yes I think Rutgers started the rumor
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

Don’t think it’s a rumor
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

lorin wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 7:52 am
TopShelf585 wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:08 am Anybody hear reports on your end that a positive Loyola COVID test has cancelled today’s game?
Yes I think Rutgers started the rumor

Or Hopkins (professional jealousy)
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

Wow did you see what Loyola posted on their website- seems that Lehigh is the 2021 National Champion now!

BETHLEHEM, Pa. – Due to a positive COVID-19 test from the Tier 1 testing pool of Loyola University Maryland men's lacrosse team, the Greyhounds will withdraw from the Patriot League Championship Game out of an abundance of caution due to health and safety protocols.

After an 11-10 win over the U.S. Military Academy on Friday night, Loyola was due to play Lehigh University in the Championship Game on Sunday, May 9. By virtue of the no-contest, Lehigh will be the 2021 NCAA Division I Men's Lacrosse Championship.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Maybe better for them potentially than a L. Going to complicate selections a little IMO
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”