Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

Agree with much of what everyone has said here. I’m lovin’ the aggressive, but disciplined Team Defense. Good to see the lumber thrown around and the D pressing out. The O has done their part by cutting down on all the maddening turnovers and being more efficient on offense.

Maryland will present a very different challenge for the Hopkins D. The Terps are patient on O and really move the ball well until they get a high percentage shot on net. Blue Jays need to be aggressive but will need to play well together to work their off-ball D. Hopkins has had problems with their off-ball D all season. The Terps will test (again) whether the Blue Jays have improved there.

Go Blue Jays!

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:11 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:09 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am hopkins played well. narewski and the d were very good.

surprised no mention was really made at the lack of assisted goals (2 non- manup?), just dodging to score praised.
There were plenty of assisted scoring chances that should have gone in on any other night where Kirst wasn't a brick wall to any and all shots coming from point blank range. He got huge on 1 of Coles cuts to the crease that deflected off his shoulder and absolutely robbed two or three other off post quick stick dunks. While I'd like to have seen a bit better ball handling in traffic at times which would have led to even more assisted opportunities from the interior I can't really be unhappy with how the offense played at the end of the day.
The passer can’t also shoot it.
petey lasalla must have 180 shots this year.
You know how many assists I could have had if I could have passed it to myself!
“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm Last observation. Lacrosse is a Players' game. (like hockey, soccer, basketball). The Coaches give you schemes and patterns that you use in games. But as a Player, you need to read the changing situation in front of you and react, You need to read the "field". I think that the current Coaches understand that and are trusting the players. That is the way Scotty, Chic, etc coached. My impression is that Pietramala did not and put his players in a controlled "box". No fun and not, in MHO, the way the Game should be played.
I have never seen Chic (or any coach in the Hopkins NCAA era) described as a "let the players figure it out on the field" coach. They always have been described as having systems, and serious game plans.

What you're describing sounds like Simmons Jr. and the Syracuse program. ;)

My own observation is that a freshman middie scored more goals than the entire attack, and Hopkins won by two.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am hopkins played well. narewski and the d were very good.

surprised no mention was really made at the lack of assisted goals (2 non- manup?), just dodging to score praised.
There were plenty of assisted scoring chances that should have gone in on any other night where Kirst wasn't a brick wall to any and all shots coming from point blank range. He got huge on 1 of Coles cuts to the crease that deflected off his shoulder and absolutely robbed two or three other off post quick stick dunks. While I'd like to have seen a bit better ball handling in traffic at times which would have led to even more assisted opportunities from the interior I can't really be unhappy with how the offense played at the end of the day.
George Gervin had that slick move where he passed to himself...brought his left arm across his body and floated the ball upwards, then grabbed it slammed it. He was smooth.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

a fan wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:00 pm
Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm Last observation. Lacrosse is a Players' game. (like hockey, soccer, basketball). The Coaches give you schemes and patterns that you use in games. But as a Player, you need to read the changing situation in front of you and react, You need to read the "field". I think that the current Coaches understand that and are trusting the players. That is the way Scotty, Chic, etc coached. My impression is that Pietramala did not and put his players in a controlled "box". No fun and not, in MHO, the way the Game should be played.
I have never seen Chic (or any coach in the Hopkins NCAA era) described as a "let the players figure it out on the field" coach. They always have been described as having systems, and serious game plans.

What you're describing sounds like Simmons Jr. and the Syracuse program. ;)

My own observation is that a freshman middie scored more goals than the entire attack, and Hopkins won by two.
Sorry that I don't write clearly ;) . I said JHU players received "schemes and patterns" to use against an opposing team PLUS detailed scouting reports on the other teams players and schemes. Plus there would be a lot of talking to each other on the field. But the players had to "read" what the other team was doing in real-time. Nothing "loosey-goosey" like Syracuse :lol:

Yes, a Freshman scored a lot of goals. :D But do you think that he scored on designed plays or he had the leeway to "read the defense" and take what Rutgers gave him? 8-)
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm I thought that Dixon's comments were more of a criticism than praise. A Team needs to intimidate

Good for the current Coaches and Players. Keep it up. :)
Agreed. I think Dixon were meant more as a criticism too. Maybe in the view that it would lead to a penalty. But, I agree that you are either be intimidated or intimidating.
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:16 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

George Gervin had that slick move where he passed to himself...brought his left arm across his body and floated the ball upwards, then grabbed it slammed it. He was smooth.
Remember it...Did that count as an assist? Pete flipped it from behind his back and over his shoulder...
“I wish you would!”
OutToPasture

Post by OutToPasture »

Hartford goes D3, Hopkins professors will be pressuring their Administration and Board to follow suit. All is well with academia.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Ink has already dried. ;) :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Proof? Link?
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

OutToPastureTroll
OutToPastureTroll
B458E403-3336-46E6-AA35-F06D8C6A6A42.jpeg (249.16 KiB) Viewed 2457 times
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OutToPasture wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:56 pm Hartford goes D3, Hopkins professors will be pressuring their Administration and Board to follow suit. All is well with academia.
You created an account just to post this?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:22 pm Yes, a Freshman scored a lot of goals. :D But do you think that he scored on designed plays or he had the leeway to "read the defense" and take what Rutgers gave him? 8-)
Dunno, but what we both know is that Petro didn't have access to his skills to find out one way or another! ;)
Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:22 pm Sorry that I don't write clearly ;) . I said JHU players received "schemes and patterns" to use against an opposing team PLUS detailed scouting reports on the other teams players and schemes. Plus there would be a lot of talking to each other on the field. But the players had to "read" what the other team was doing in real-time. Nothing "loosey-goosey" like Syracuse :lol:
:lol: I was just giving you grief for sounding like one of us barbaric, laissez-faire Syracuse fans.

Have a great weekend!
Typical Lax Dad

OutToPasture wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 3:56 pm Hartford goes D3, Hopkins professors will be pressuring their Administration and Board to follow suit. All is well with academia.
My guess is that the Ivy League is next.
“I wish you would!”
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hey Sag - any idea who posted this?

"You can say there's a kind of Hemingwayan Victory in Defeat here, but the future is just not looking bright.
This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
The goalie situation is a hot mess. The guy who set the Hop freshmen scoring record is now keeping both teams in the game.
The best player is leaving.
By the end of year # three everyone is going to be screaming for PM's head and we'll be back to the Nads/Marr conversation again.
I don't know why they thought they could go off the farm and it was going to work out. It never has before.
Jenny, you have some 'splainin to do."

This is why you take into account all the variables that go into the situation - the coaching change, COVID, no fall, interrupted spring, no OOC games etc. etc. I do think Milliman deserves some credit - a decent amount in fact but it is NOT due to the fact that Marcille is now in goal. Tim is playing great - I am so happy for him but he is not the only reason they gave Maryland a good run and have won the last two games. The reason Milliman has to be given some credit IMO is that he kept a train on the track despite all those variables and they have always played hard. After losing to Michigan at home they could have packed it in down 10-5 at OSU - they didn't. Then after losing that game they could have gotten boat raced @ Rutgers after falling behind a couple of times - they didn't - then after taking the gut punch of all gut punches against Maryland they have won a couple games and have played well AS A TEAM. That's what a coach is responsible for.

Marcille did not win a face-off yesterday - he didn't guard one of the most lethal attack groups in the country - and he didn't ping a single corner. He was the last line of defense and he did his job - better than Hopkins fans have seen for certainly a while.

In terms of the lack of assists - I think it is worth noting that 9 of the 15 goals against Penn State were assisted - none on the EMO so I chalk this up to a combo of strategy and players taking advantage of the situations - middies were likley told if you can take Coyne and some others to the middle of the field - do it.

I always thought Petro's coaching style - when it was exhibited in public - was potentially problematic in situations because some players could put avoiding failure ahead of achieving success to not incur the wrath. But to be fair - we were all pretty happy with Petro's style from 01-08. And Chic was certainly not John Gagliardi in his approach to coaching. Then there's the point that when you have Jack Thomas, Mike O'Neill, Jeff Cook, Brendan Schneck, Dave Huntley, Brian Wood, Del Dressel, Kyle Harrison, Paul Rabil etc. etc. etc. it's easier for them to "figure it out".
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:09 pm
My guess is that the Ivy League is next.
they'll create an ivy-league light conference. full of brainiacs. league academic honor roll will be the most competitive you've ever seen.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm I always thought Petro's coaching style - when it was exhibited in public - was potentially problematic in situations because some players could put avoiding failure ahead of achieving success to not incur the wrath. But to be fair - we were all pretty happy with Petro's style from 01-08. And Chic was certainly not John Gagliardi in his approach to coaching. Then there's the point that when you have Jack Thomas, Mike O'Neill, Jeff Cook, Brendan Schneck, Dave Huntley, Brian Wood, Del Dressel, Kyle Harrison, Paul Rabil etc. etc. etc. it's easier for them to "figure it out".
This is the part where I have gone round and round with great Hop fans like HopFan16.....my opinion (opinion) is that Petro hasn't had the Wood's-Bubier's of the world, etc. the last few years, and that''s why no Final Fours. All the x's and o's in the world, or pats on the back from the coach won't get you to Memorial day when the other teams have multiple elite players, and your team has none.

And it's why I razzed Chitown about Petro not having a freshman middie Peshko dropping four badly needed goals when the season was on the line...

Not trying to start up that argument that's best left for the offseason, btw. At this point, who cares? Hop is winning, and I think that's great for our sport.

I'm with Wombat----i'm just THRILLED we have games to watch, and can't wait to catch the Final Four in person next season!

Best of luck against Terps. It should be a heckuva game!
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm Hey Sag - any idea who posted this?

"You can say there's a kind of Hemingwayan Victory in Defeat here, but the future is just not looking bright.
This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
The goalie situation is a hot mess. The guy who set the Hop freshmen scoring record is now keeping both teams in the game.
The best player is leaving.
By the end of year # three everyone is going to be screaming for PM's head and we'll be back to the Nads/Marr conversation again.
I don't know why they thought they could go off the farm and it was going to work out. It never has before.
Jenny, you have some 'splainin to do."

This is why you take into account all the variables that go into the situation - the coaching change, COVID, no fall, interrupted spring, no OOC games etc. etc. I do think Milliman deserves some credit - a decent amount in fact but it is NOT due to the fact that Marcille is now in goal. Tim is playing great - I am so happy for him but he is not the only reason they gave Maryland a good run and have won the last two games. The reason Milliman has to be given some credit IMO is that he kept a train on the track despite all those variables and they have always played hard. After losing to Michigan at home they could have packed it in down 10-5 at OSU - they didn't. Then after losing that game they could have gotten boat raced @ Rutgers after falling behind a couple of times - they didn't - then after taking the gut punch of all gut punches against Maryland they have won a couple games and have played well AS A TEAM. That's what a coach is responsible for.

Marcille did not win a face-off yesterday - he didn't guard one of the most lethal attack groups in the country - and he didn't ping a single corner. He was the last line of defense and he did his job - better than Hopkins fans have seen for certainly a while.

In terms of the lack of assists - I think it is worth noting that 9 of the 15 goals against Penn State were assisted - none on the EMO so I chalk this up to a combo of strategy and players taking advantage of the situations - middies were likley told if you can take Coyne and some others to the middle of the field - do it.

I always thought Petro's coaching style - when it was exhibited in public - was potentially problematic in situations because some players could put avoiding failure ahead of achieving success to not incur the wrath. But to be fair - we were all pretty happy with Petro's style from 01-08. And Chic was certainly not John Gagliardi in his approach to coaching. Then there's the point that when you have Jack Thomas, Mike O'Neill, Jeff Cook, Brendan Schneck, Dave Huntley, Brian Wood, Del Dressel, Kyle Harrison, Paul Rabil etc. etc. etc. it's easier for them to "figure it out".
Dave Pietramala was, and still is, a great coach. Time passed him by, especially on his approach to defense (and perhaps ... the way he interacted with some of his players).

His admission a few months ago that he should have hired a true defensive coordinator (a change some of us were encouraging him to implement for years) was very revealing in a positive way. I think it showed Coach Pietramala is willing to change.

When (not if) Coach Pietramala gets a new head coaching job, I am confident he will do many things differently. And he will succeed ... I have no doubt about that. I’m actually looking forward to watching the next chapter of his coaching career.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

he did not say he should have hired a true defensive coordinator. he said he shouldn't have made himself defensive coordinator and head coach at the same time.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:01 pm he did not say he should have hired a true defensive coordinator. he said he shouldn't have made himself defensive coordinator and head coach at the same time.
He didn’t have anyone on his staff who could serve as a true defensive coordinator, so your point is kind of meaningless. If he wasn’t going to serve as defensive coordinator himself, he would have had to hire someone to fill that role.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”