THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
houndace1

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by houndace1 »

hello everyone, first time poster here, been a huge fan of hopkins since 2011 when i was 15 and my sister started her first year there, I personally just graduated last may from Loyola so my head/heart is always torn when these two play and it gets really interesting in my household.

anyway my personal thoughts on today-

Hopkins has much much talent, but IMO, like many other here, i do not believe it is being used correctly especially given their physically imposing, highly touted recruiting class.
SSDMS got burned by Loyola middies today,
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
Actually Scott took three penalties on the play. Two for hand ball that was missed where he made his feelings known and then he REALLY lit into the ref when he came over to the scorers table. Hat went up and that was three. Shame to hear Coach dropping that many F bombs on a ref. The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Darby in goal was average but the vaunted defense ranked by IL, US Lax, let him down with on the crease looks and snipes from 12-15 yards out.

The attack- praised again in pre season by IL but like in the towson game; marr, williams and the other knows failed to produce and it really hurts to see the team get off to a poor start given how much success they had last year.
Epstein is a truly special player in my opinion, his first step is unbelievable. He will be your version of Loyola's PS#7 I'm sure of it.

most important thought of mine today- if hopkins recruited BIG freshman in the midfield.... Why not use them
DMac

Post by DMac »

flalax wrote
The reality is his fogo is gone, his all world attackman is gone and the heir apparent got bullied and quit. Not a good day for the Danes. Coach took it out on a ref who didn't deserve it. That play had no impact on the game.
Yup, the frustrations of the day came out on that play, I didn't see what happened from where I was sitting (what caused all the fire). Cost him big, Cuse took a lot of valuable seconds off the clock then put one in...didn't help the Dog's cause at all.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

I'm more than a little concerned after hearing the press conference. Petro is putting this all on the D. Said the O was improved. Well Epstein was better and Marr scored a few more but the rest was horrible. Sending out the smurf crew wont get it done and he is about to learn a hard lesson against a large ACC team down in Durham. We all see it. Apparently Coach does not.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

This could be a historically bad season - Hopkins probably not favored against anybody except the Mt and maybe Delaware - could go 0-fer in the BIG nothing is off the table. As much as I am loathe to admit it - QK may be 100% correct that Hopkins' issues are not solvable:
- Look at the ground balls again - this tells you all you need to know - Hopkins starting 10 for the second straight game didn't get to 10 ground balls. The starting mid-field had ZERO. The only reason Hopkins got to 9 was Darby was credited with 5. So the 9 starting field players were out gb'd by the Hounds 16-4
- Hopkins starting mid-field had 2 assists - no goals and 9 shots - Loyola's had 20 shots - 8 goals and 2 assists
- Hopkins d-mids are playing at a level that is truly awful - whether it is the starting 3 or the converted attackmen that get trapped - it's as bad as I have seen it in the Petro era
- Darby is inside a shooting gallery and plenty of folks are getting time and room to the nth degree but he's not bailing anybody out that's true
- Marr had the worst 5 goal game I think I have ever seen - i'm not really suggesting Hopkins had any ability to win that game but if there was ever a spark of hope it was quelched by the awful turnover in the second quarter - throw in the BTB that was a poor choice, the penalty, and the exaggerated quick stick when he could have caught it and tried to fake Stover out and you have a senior captain making bad, selfish decisions
- I was at the comeback at UVA last year - I thought Hopkins really had something in DeSimone - he can't get by anybody
- Maybe the worst performance was turned in by the Hopkins student body - beyond embarrassing - 40-50 stalwarts in one section for a while and then the rout scattered them by the second half - Loyola had hundreds if not in the 4 figures - Home game for the guys in green
- Sometimes Petro is full of you know what - he was so all fire and brimstone about how everybody was going to get a chance to show what they can do - implying changes were on the way - nothing changed

I have certainly seen several Petro post 2008 teams get torched and abused. This was another level of disrespect - Loyola was laughing at Hopkins and couldn't decide whether to run out the clock or try the next craziest backyard school play because Hopkins couldn't stop anything

I think 0-5 is unfortunately very realistic
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 pm This could be a historically bad season - Hopkins probably not favored against anybody except the Mt and maybe Delaware - could go 0-fer in the BIG nothing is off the table. As much as I am loathe to admit it - QK may be 100% correct that Hopkins' issues are not solvable:
- Look at the ground balls again - this tells you all you need to know - Hopkins starting 10 for the second straight game didn't get to 10 ground balls. The starting mid-field had ZERO. The only reason Hopkins got to 9 was Darby was credited with 5. So the 9 starting field players were out gb'd by the Hounds 16-4
- Hopkins starting mid-field had 2 assists - no goals and 9 shots - Loyola's had 20 shots - 8 goals and 2 assists
- Hopkins d-mids are playing at a level that is truly awful - whether it is the starting 3 or the converted attackmen that get trapped - it's as bad as I have seen it in the Petro era
- Darby is inside a shooting gallery and plenty of folks are getting time and room to the nth degree but he's not bailing anybody out that's true
- Marr had the worst 5 goal game I think I have ever seen - i'm not really suggesting Hopkins had any ability to win that game but if there was ever a spark of hope it was quelched by the awful turnover in the second quarter - throw in the BTB that was a poor choice, the penalty, and the exaggerated quick stick when he could have caught it and tried to fake Stover out and you have a senior captain making bad, selfish decisions
- I was at the comeback at UVA last year - I thought Hopkins really had something in DeSimone - he can't get by anybody
- Maybe the worst performance was turned in by the Hopkins student body - beyond embarrassing - 40-50 stalwarts in one section for a while and then the rout scattered them by the second half - Loyola had hundreds if not in the 4 figures - Home game for the guys in green
- Sometimes Petro is full of you know what - he was so all fire and brimstone about how everybody was going to get a chance to show what they can do - implying changes were on the way - nothing changed

I have certainly seen several Petro post 2008 teams get torched and abused. This was another level of disrespect - Loyola was laughing at Hopkins and couldn't decide whether to run out the clock or try the next craziest backyard school play because Hopkins couldn't stop anything

This is the most accurate post I've read. And that is my concern. Post Towson -"We are opening it up" and no changes. Now it is everything is fine with the exception of the D. Was he watching the same game as us? O gbs and essentially zero points out of the midfield SCREAMS for changes.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:43 pm This could be a historically bad season - Hopkins probably not favored against anybody except the Mt and maybe Delaware - could go 0-fer in the BIG nothing is off the table. As much as I am loathe to admit it - QK may be 100% correct that Hopkins' issues are not solvable:

As much as Hopkins lacrossse means to the fans, alums, current/former players, it doesn't hold much weight in the student body as compared to Loyola. Every home game at Ridley we show up in support. I think one of the reasons it's not much for hopkins is because every student is so crammed with work that they don't have time to take a 2 hour break. There's people i've seen studying in Brody, in the library, etc during the HOMECOMING game. That, and i guess the lax team isn't much appreciated by the student body too though that could be a reach.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I haven't been a student there for a decade. When I was there in the harrison/rabil era we went and even tho some of the games were on local tv it wasn't an option and I don't think I even had or wanted a tv in my room. It was saturday afternoons at homewood watching them and then of course we went to the ncaa tournament games except during preakness weekend because kegasus was legit.
Would defer to a current student/recent alum what the story is, but "students have studying" is bs. Duke kids pack their mens hoops games, stanford kids-a tougher school to get into than hopkins go to their games and notre dame football goes w/out saying.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm I haven't been a student there for a decade. When I was there in the harrison/rabil era we went and even tho some of the games were on local tv it wasn't an option and I don't think I even had or wanted a tv in my room. It was saturday afternoons at homewood watching them and then of course we went to the ncaa tournament games except during preakness weekend because kegasus was legit.
Would defer to a current student/recent alum what the story is, but "students have studying" is bs. Duke kids pack their mens hoops games, stanford kids-a tougher school to get into than hopkins go to their games and notre dame football goes w/out saying.
i'm friends with current students, and they just aren't that interested in watching the team play which is sad to see since this varsity team is Hopkins' pride
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:26 pm Would defer to a current student/recent alum what the story is, but "students have studying" is bs. Duke kids pack their mens hoops games, stanford kids-a tougher school to get into than hopkins go to their games and notre dame football goes w/out saying.
This is a completely insane comparison
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Just catching up on today's games tonight....Lotta good ones. Not a whole lot to say here, which says a lot. It was nice to have Dixon in the booth for a minute. Been spoiled with out the regular three. I mean, Anish drives with two feet and can't swim. At best, one or the other, but good lord, that is shameful.

Should the game even be spoken of? Lotta of looks early for the Jays but garbage shots. Some sticks were whipped "af", as the kids say. That's relatively meaningless, but a maybe three of goals none the less.

Never heard praise like the praise by the three announcers today on PS. That said, Spencer absolutely deserves it, and they might be right that it's time to put CW on midfield.

I'm optimistic! Nerewski.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:33 pm I'm more than a little concerned after hearing the press conference. Petro is putting this all on the D. Said the O was improved. Well Epstein was better and Marr scored a few more but the rest was horrible. Sending out the smurf crew wont get it done and he is about to learn a hard lesson against a large ACC team down in Durham. We all see it. Apparently Coach does not.
Johns Hopkins O scored 12 goals, even with 7 failed clears by the defense. That should be enough to win or at least make the game competitive.

I cannot recall a worse Hopkins defense in the several decades I have been following the team. They look completely lost and demoralized.

Last season, the Blue Jay defense didn’t really show up until Homecoming against Maryland.

Besides needing more size out there, it’s pretty obvious that the D isn’t thinking about the game in front of them. At one point, I saw a SSDM simply trot past Patrick Spencer to the middle of the field during active play, leaving Spencer completely unguarded (of course, he said thank you and scored a goal). In a school yard pick up game, Patrick Spencer would never be left unguarded. But in Petro’s Defense???

That episode reminds me of a game years ago in the Dome against Syracuse when a Hopkins SSDM was guarding an Orange middie. Suddenly, he realized that in Petro’s complex defensive scheme, he was supposed to be somewhere else, so he simply stopped guarding his opponent and moved away. Like Spencer today, the Syracuse midfielder took a couple of open steps and scored. The point is, the Hopkins defensive players seem to be thinking more about Petro’s complex defensive schemes than the game playing out in front of them. Even Petro alluded to this last season when he worried that his D was thinking too much and not reacting fast enough.

When you look at perennially excellent defenses like Maryland and Loyola, they aren’t that complex. Maryland tends to slide less frequently and Loyola plays an aggressive, athletic man-to-man that doesn’t seem to have a whole lot of sophistication.

I remember (vaguely) listening to a Hopkins defenseman on video try and describe what they do to a group of high school players. Couldn’t understand it a bit. Just way too much to think about.

How about this ... just play straight up man-to-man (shutting your own man off), and if someone dodges and gets within ten yards of the net, double team and level him. As Quint K described it ... make them taste their own blood for their insolence.

Or, just copy what Loyola does. Whatever.

DocBarrister :roll: <——— Yep, they’re rolling again.
@DocBarrister
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

"A worse defense in decades", Doc. Please. You have a short memory.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

johnnyonthegunpowder wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:26 am "A worse defense in decades", Doc. Please. You have a short memory.
Well ... when was the last time Hopkins surrendered 35 goals in the first two games? I don’t know, I’m asking.

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

well, as i visit the hop board after another game, much to my surprise i see the freshmen are all the best players again and yet they can't get on the field.
must be lacrosse season! love this time of year!
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Hard to watch the Hopkins D made a laughingstock on Sportscenter’s highlights of Spencer. Public humiliation is not cleansing—-more like defiling the legacy of Hopkins lacrosse. Particularly difficult to watch Loyola fans laughing about it in the stands.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I was just woken up by one of the womcats barfing up a hairball repeatedly onto the hallway rug (never the easier to clean hardwood floor). 4 AM. Argh.

So, I had to get up. We have a rule - first one to spot a disaster has to clean it up (or do a really good job at claiming you didn’t see it). So, I had a talk with the offending cat.

“What happened? You watch the game too?”

Then I proceeded to clean up the rug. Partially digested dry cat food, fresh and warm, straight out of the kitty.

My Sunday is off to a great start.

W
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Argh. And I just stepped into the hidden all liquid barf which was within a yard of the first feline IEH.

Now have to change out my gold toe socks.

I don’t think I’m going to leave the house today. Got to be careful. What else could go wrong?

laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Petro consistantly has a top five ranked recruiting class, you have players that are making hs mistakes on field, D is struggling just to do the basics, this should not happen at hopkins. I looked around homewood at the signs and 2007 was the last time hop has won it all. This looks like more of a coaching issue than a player problem

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”