Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 am -keogh who has been the 7th most productive middie starting over peshko was interesting.
The “2nd” line of all freshmen played just as much if not more than the 1s last night. So long as Peshko is seeing time I don’t really care which line it’s on. He clearly has some chemistry with the other freshmen, particularly McDermott who has assisted on a bunch of his goals.
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 am Mabett is down to 7 gp.
He has been hurt for a month. Please confirm receipt of this information. For some reason it is not getting through. You’re like an android in Westworld looking at something they’re not programmed to understand. “Doesn’t look like anything to me.”
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

laxrat78 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm Everyone in this forum that was b*tching about Milliman and Hopkins a couple weeks ago coming for his head is the worst kind of lacrosse fan. All of you are a bunch of back seat drivers. Trust the process. As an outsider you guys are f*cking wack jobs. Nice win!!
laxrat, let's try and make the same posts but without profanity. thanks.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Not sure if it was just for Rutgers, but it looked like we moved Delaney to close and ran Szuluk at LSM. Szuluk was really disruptive up top. Curious to see if they revert back for Maryland.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Good game. One thing that it is tangentially mentioned. The defense has played much better than they have over the last 4-5 years. But, the one thing that got me was how aggressive players were with stick checks. Hopkins long sticks and short sticks were constantly on offensive player's hands making it tough to shot. As Dixon said "they are laying the lumber." They caused a number of turnovers and forced Rutgers players to make either decisions quicker than they wanted or bad ones.

Compare the defense last night to the past years under Petro where it was a passive positional type. Both have pros/cons but I think most players want to more aggressive and just live with the consequences.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:16 am Not sure if it was just for Rutgers, but it looked like we moved Delaney to close and ran Szuluk at LSM. Szuluk was really disruptive up top. Curious to see if they revert back for Maryland.
Delaney was still playing LSM, but Szuluk was running as #2 LSM to spell Delaney. They've been doing some mixing and matching with McManus and Szuluk bumping up and down between close and LSM but to my knowledge Delaney has never left the LSM spot. But that #2 LSM role has been a carousel of Szuluk, McManus, Deans, Jaronski, and Shure—though the latter two appear to have settled in as SSDMs and Deans isn't playing much lately. Longpole could be a position of strength moving forward...hoping Reinson returns next year. 35 GBs in 12 games for a pole who doesn't play on faceoff wings is a very good number.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:01 pm I'll be fascinated by the final stats but one is obvious - Rutgers had 10 goals - 6 below its average in the two prior games with Hopkins and if memory serves me correct the Rutgers attack had only 50 or 55% of its goals instead of low/mid 70's. A great job by Marcille and the D.

They need to really work on that play where the defenseman gets "hung up". I don't like the goalie jumping all the way behind the goal - with two this game and one against PSU I believe - it's not working. Be patient - stay with the cutters and be ready to take names wichever side the attackman chooses. If they do that against Bernhardt - he might get to double digits.
Seemed like all of their goals were either in transition, EMO, or in chaotic unsettled situations (including the two times Marcille came out of the cage). In settled 6-on-6 sets, they couldn't get much going. Neither could Penn State. Maryland is going to be a different animal but that says a lot about the work Coach K has done with that unit. All three poles had stellar games, Reinson in particular with 5 GBS (a few of which were huge) and 2 CT. Szuluk and Delaney were also strong. Shorties can still be a bit of an adventure but they are no longer the gaping liability that they once were. I thought they got pretty gassed toward the end there. A lot of minutes for Martin and Jaronski. Getting their legs back for Saturday will be key if we have any hope of a miracle.

I don't want to get ahead of myself—I certainly hope we win on Saturday and while the chances are slim they ain't zero—but either way these past three games have shut a lot of people up.
Agree with most of this except the comment on SSDMs. I think vastly improved SSDM play has been one of the turning points of this season, and tonight was no different. There was really only one goal (the first one) where a true SSDM got beaten 1v1, and that was by Mullins. The other goals against shorties (2 of them) were when offensive middies got caught on the defensive end. Even if you count those, we scored at least 6 by exploiting their SSDMs. I thought it was one of the big differences in the game.
I thought our SSDMs had a great game. When’s the last time we could say that?

Coach Koesterer deserves a raise. :)

DocBarrister :D
+1
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hopkins played well. narewski and the d were very good.

surprised no mention was really made at the lack of assisted goals (2 non- manup?), just dodging to score praised.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am
Playing their best lacrosse of the season right now. Might not be enough to pull off the upset on Thursday but if ever there were a time for one...
If Marcille can save ~55% and Narewsky can win ~60% of the draws, the Jays have a chance.
The postseason is mostly about face-offs and goaltending.
Unlike Penn State though, there's no one guy like OKeefe that you can shut down and curtail their offense.
The Jays will have to play some serious team defense to pull off the upset. Let's hope Rutgers comes in overconfident...
This is exactly why the Jays have a shot here. Goaltending appears to have stabilized and they have a face-off tandem with Narewski and Dunn who can hang with anyone.
Marcille saved 12/22 for 54.4545% rounding up to 55%.
Ha, I called it! LOL
This is definitely the best goalie play we've seen in years. The mark of a really good goalie is the ability to close out the game in the 4th quarter.
I'd say TM did a great job of that last night.
Major Kudos to Milliman for making the switch to an unproven goalie so late in the season. The move has paid off big time for this program.
Kudos also for giving the freshmen major minutes.
I think this team definitely has a shot Saturday night.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am hopkins played well. narewski and the d were very good.

surprised no mention was really made at the lack of assisted goals (2 non- manup?), just dodging to score praised.
I did notice that - and oddly the same was true for Rutgers. Not sure that's how the offense should look going forward, but frankly, I'm just happy to see people winning one on one matchups. If that starts happening regularly, there will be more slides and the middle will open up, leading to a lot more assisted goals. If they can consistently dodge and draw slides, pretty easy to imagine Degnon start scoring a ton of goals. He's turned into a legit sniper - pretty awesome seeing him overpower Kirst from range. Also hard not to get excited about Peshko - that didn't look like a one-off, fluke performance from him.

Amazing that they won with Epstein going 0/0.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:11 pm
Playing their best lacrosse of the season right now. Might not be enough to pull off the upset on Thursday but if ever there were a time for one...
If Marcille can save ~55% and Narewsky can win ~60% of the draws, the Jays have a chance.
Unlike Penn State though, there's no one guy like OKeefe that you can shut down and curtail their offense.
The Jays will have to play some serious team defense to pull off the upset. Let's hope Rutgers comes in overconfident...
This is exactly why the Jays have a shot here. Goaltending appears to have stabilized and they have a face-off tandem with Narewski and Dunn who can hang with anyone.
Ha, I called it! LOL
This is definitely the best goalie play we've seen in years. The mark of a really good goalie is the ability to close out the game in the 4th quarter.
Major Kudos to Milliman for making the switch to an unproven goalie so late in the season. The move has paid off big time for this program.
It was only three weeks ago you were saying we should have hired Nadelen or another alum because Towson's "trajectory" was better than ours. You were saying our future was hopeless. Tomorrow we play for a conference title and an NCAA tournament berth while Nads and Towson will be watching at home.

This season was always, ALWAYS, going to be a weird one. It won't be fair to fully assess this hire for quite some time. Maybe now you see that? Patience, my friend. Patience.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:21 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:11 pm
Ha, I called it! LOL
It was only three weeks ago you were saying we should have hired Nadelen or another alum because Towson's "trajectory" was better than ours. You were saying our future was hopeless. Tomorrow we play for a conference title and an NCAA tournament berth while Nads and Towson will be watching at home.
Three weeks ago this program looked dead in the water.
PM took a huge gamble and it paid off. Definitely a Black Swan event.
But you have to give credit where credit is due. The man saw the ship sinking and took action.
The Jays have looked so good the last three games that I think they could bring in some high profile transfers in the off season.
It they only lose Williams to graduation, you'd have to think this team could really be something next year.
180 degree turn around for sure.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

wgdsr wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:50 am hopkins played well. narewski and the d were very good.

There were plenty of assisted scoring chances that should have gone in on any other night where Kirst wasn't a brick wall to any and all shots coming from point blank range. He got huge on 1 of Coles cuts to the crease that deflected off his shoulder and absolutely robbed two or three other off post quick stick dunks. While I'd like to have seen a bit better ball handling in traffic at times which would have led to even more assisted opportunities from the interior I can't really be unhappy with how the offense played at the end of the day.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Just some thoughts:

You take advantage of what the other Team gives you. You don't play a rigid game plan. Good for the Players and Coaches to be flexible in "real time".
steel_hop wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 11:29 am Good game. One thing that it is tangentially mentioned. The defense has played much better than they have over the last 4-5 years. But, the one thing that got me was how aggressive players were with stick checks. Hopkins long sticks and short sticks were constantly on offensive player's hands making it tough to shot. As Dixon said "they are laying the lumber." They caused a number of turnovers and forced Rutgers players to make either decisions quicker than they wanted or bad ones.

Compare the defense last night to the past years under Petro where it was a passive positional type. Both have pros/cons but I think most players want to more aggressive and just live with the consequences.
Some weeks ago, Coach Milliman stated in his weekly message to Alumni that the Team needs to be more aggressive and physical. Coach Scott and Chic always preached the same sermon. I thought that Dixon's comments were more of a criticism than praise. A Team needs to intimidate the other side. Lacrosse is a very physical game and is often "won" by the plays not on a stat sheet or noticed by the fan in the stands. Coach Scott insisted on the execution of "fundamentals" and that specifically included aggressive physical play. I remember Scotty stopping practice when someone scored off the crease and was not knocked to the ground, singing in a high sarcastic voice, "Little Johnny Hopkins boys, don't knock anybody down. If you hit someone with an elbow, say sorry sir." We knew what He wanted. We had a big physical Team. No pretty boy was going a celebrate a goal in front of our Goal. They were going to get hit hard and go down. This 2021 Team is now playing aggressive and energized lacrosse. That is good to see.

Last observation. Lacrosse is a Players' game. (like hockey, soccer, basketball). The Coaches give you schemes and patterns that you use in games. But as a Player, you need to read the changing situation in front of you and react, You need to read the "field". I think that the current Coaches understand that and are trusting the players. That is the way Scotty, Chic, etc coached. My impression is that Pietramala did not and put his players in a controlled "box". No fun and not, in MHO, the way the Game should be played.

Good for the current Coaches and Players. Keep it up. :)
6ftstick

Post by 6ftstick »

What a country!

Jays were 2-8 and now playing for an AQ—then anything can happen.
goldeneagle

Post by goldeneagle »

Agree 100% with last post.
goldeneagle

Post by goldeneagle »

I meant to agree 100% with this:

"Last observation. Lacrosse is a Players' game. (like hockey, soccer, basketball). The Coaches give you schemes and patterns that you use in games. But as a Player, you need to read the changing situation in front of you and react, You need to read the "field". I think that the current Coaches understand that and are trusting the players. That is the way Scotty, Chic, etc coached. My impression is that Pietramala did not and put his players in a controlled "box". No fun and not, in MHO, the way the Game should be played.

Good for the current Coaches and Players. Keep it up. "
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

There were plenty of assisted scoring chances that should have gone in on any other night where Kirst wasn't a brick wall to any and all shots coming from point blank range. He got huge on 1 of Coles cuts to the crease that deflected off his shoulder and absolutely robbed two or three other off post quick stick dunks. While I'd like to have seen a bit better ball handling in traffic at times which would have led to even more assisted opportunities from the interior I can't really be unhappy with how the offense played at the end of the day.
The passer can’t also shoot it.
“I wish you would!”
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:09 pm
Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:05 pm

The passer can’t also shoot it.
petey lasalla must have 180 shots this year.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chitown wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:26 pm Just some thoughts:

You take advantage of what the other Team gives you. You don't play a rigid game plan. Good for the Players and Coaches to be flexible in "real time".
sure. i agree. i posted on what the commentary was. both on the broadcast, and also out in the ether.
seems other team(s) get a different assessment.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Rutgers' SSDMs couldn't stop Hopkins middies getting to the middle of the field on simple sweep dodges. No need for assists when you can do that.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”