Rutgers 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Rutgers 2021

Post by 10stone5 »

AOD wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:43 pm
bananas wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:26 pm
AOD wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:46 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am the face-off bug hits RU again. almost lost this one cause they can't win a face off. Please BB, recruit some high level face off talent. in the beginning of the year it seemed to have corrected itself but lately it's been more of the same old struggles.

this is going to be a huge problem if they make the tournament and play schools like g'town, denver, duke, unc, lehigh, etc.
NJ high schools routinely produce some of the best FOGOs in the nation. And these players aren't just attracted to the glamour programs. BB really has recruited poorly for this position.
Been a critic of Brecht for not keeping best defenders in NJ but not sure fogo is a position of strength in NJ. Baptiste a HOF but only current ones that come to mind are Cole of St Joes and Labetti of Richmond. NY produces plenty of good ones, St Anthonys is a factory.. Dugenio is a NJ product and thought he would be the answer but hasn't. Faceoffs are the one part of game that will hold us back from making a serious run in tourney. Frustrating because other pieces are in place this year.
Well, clearly he missed Baptiste. Baptiste was headed to F&M until Tierney discovered him in New Jersey. Baptiste was playing HS lacrosse less than an hour from New Brunswick. You are correct in naming Cole and Labetti (playing at Fairfield), two who also played within an hour of NB. Mentioned upthread is Pedicine. Then there's Connor Gaffney at Lehigh (#4 in the nation in 2019) and the current #4 in the nation at Monmouth. That's off the top of my head without any research at all. BB didn't need to look far to improve that position - he just needed to look in NJ.
Not to pile on.
I’ve liked Brecht since Siena.
But,
this guy got away.
CAA MEN'S LACROSSE WEEKLY AWARDS - APRIL 20
RICHMOND, Va. (April 20, 2021) – Towson senior goalie Shane Brennan and Delaware graduate student attack Charlie Kitchen are this week’s Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Men’s Lacrosse Co-Players of the Week,

Charlie Kitchen,
Delaware Graduate Student | Attack |
Marlton, N.J. / St. Augustine Prep

Charlie Kitchen led the Blue Hens to a 14-13 overtime road victory over No. 17 Hofstra on Saturday. He tied his career-best mark with nine points on a career-high six goals to pair with three assists. Trailing 10-6 entering the fourth quarter, Kitchen scored four goals in the final 15 minutes of action to help the Blue Hens erase the deficit and take the lead. He then assisted on the game-winning goal for Delaware in overtime. His performance helped the Blue Hens capture their first win over a ranked opponent since March 25, 2017.
AOD

Post by AOD »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 pm
Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am the face-off bug hits RU again. almost lost this one cause they can't win a face off. Please BB, recruit some high level face off talent. in the beginning of the year it seemed to have corrected itself but lately it's been more of the same old struggles.

this is going to be a huge problem if they make the tournament and play schools like g'town, denver, duke, unc, lehigh, etc.
NJ high schools routinely produce some of the best FOGOs in the nation. And these players aren't just attracted to the glamour programs. BB really has recruited poorly for this position.
Been a critic of Brecht for not keeping best defenders in NJ but not sure fogo is a position of strength in NJ. Baptiste a HOF but only current ones that come to mind are Cole of St Joes and Labetti of Richmond. NY produces plenty of good ones, St Anthonys is a factory.. Dugenio is a NJ product and thought he would be the answer but hasn't. Faceoffs are the one part of game that will hold us back from making a serious run in tourney. Frustrating because other pieces are in place this year.
Well, clearly he missed Baptiste. Baptiste was headed to F&M until Tierney discovered him in New Jersey. Baptiste was playing HS lacrosse less than an hour from New Brunswick. You are correct in naming Cole and Labetti (playing at Fairfield), two who also played within an hour of NB. Mentioned upthread is Pedicine. Then there's Connor Gaffney at Lehigh (#4 in the nation in 2019) and the current #4 in the nation at Monmouth. That's off the top of my head without any research at all. BB didn't need to look far to improve that position - he just needed to look in NJ.
Not to pile on.
But,
this guy got away.
RICHMOND, Va. (April 20, 2021) – Towson senior goalie Shane Brennan and Delaware graduate student attack Charlie Kitchen are this week’s Colonial Athletic Association (CAA) Men’s Lacrosse Co-Players of the Week,

Charlie Kitchen,

Charlie Kitchen led the Blue Hens to a 14-13 overtime road victory over No. 17 Hofstra on Saturday. He tied his career-best mark with nine points on a career-high six goals to pair with three assists. Trailing 10-6 entering the fourth quarter, Kitchen scored four goals in the final 15 minutes of action to help the Blue Hens erase the deficit and take the lead. He then assisted on the game-winning goal for Delaware in overtime. His performance helped the Blue Hens capture their first win over a ranked opponent since March 25, 2017.
You're certainly right about that. Charlie comes from good stock. His mother was a heckuva softball pitcher in HS, and of course his brother played at Hofstra.

But, if I'm not mistaken, the last St. Augie alum to play for Brecht transferred out after a couple of years. That school produces quality D1 players each year (Mike Sutton, the Pontrello brothers, Tommy O'Neil, Bryce Young just to name a few in addition to UDel's Joe Eisele and Chase Young) and Brecht is never in the running to recruit any of them.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:16 pm

Not to pile on.
But,
this guy got away.

Charlie Kitchen,

Very Well endowed small Southern Private school-University of Richmond and very large Northeast public University-Rutgers................ They both get a lot of students from the Northeast but think Pretty different places culturally and otherwise...... I would doubt there is that much cross over in students applying to both places, so maybe as simple as that. They aren't the same fit for the same kind of kid.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:48 am Wow, folks! As many of you probably saw, I did a "national title predictions" poll. My choices were:

Maryland, Notre Dame, Duke, North Carolina, Virginia, Denver, Georgetown, and Other

Multiple people, including maybe some of you on this thread, said they are picking Rutgers. Wow, looks like I made a mistake not including them among the individual choices! Would be one of the best stories in the history of College Lacrosse if they did hoist the gold trophy!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Rutgers looks excellent. But looking past Michigan would be a mistake. Especially since they are well aware of what "bad" losses have done to them multiple times they were a bubble team come Selection Sunday.
livelovelax

Post by livelovelax »

One of the best things that can happen to D1 mens lacrosse would be Rutgers winning the National Championship, or at least getting to the final game. This would raise the national lax conversation that Rutgers is elite and it can be that place where the NJ student athlete can compete for titles. A great majority of the best players in NJ go out of state. And that is a shame when you consider NJ is in the top 3-4 lax playing states. While you will never get all of the top players to come to Rutgers, it would get them in the door of so many more top players.

The idea of more Jules Heningburgs or Scott Biedas playing in Scarlet is exciting. Maybe more players like the Kirst Brothers would consider coming back home. Either way, it would change the trajectory of their recruiting and as we all know, recruiting is the life blood of all sports. Coaching and scheme can win but you need the Jimmys and the Joes to take it to the next level.

Landing Moorestown's Shane Knobloch was a nice start but more players like him would be attracted to the thought of playing on the Banks.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’d bet that Cole Kirst makes it to Rutgers for his
5th year, seems like a natural fit albeit you get him
for just one year.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

FO’s from NJ:

Minard, Hun/Delby, committed to Delaware
Ramsey, Delby, Yale
Labetti, Moorestown, Fairfield
Hollander, West Morris, Bucknell
Orenstein, Howell, Albany/Villanova

That’s just off the top of my head.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

For Rutgers, take the win against Michigan, move on, and, if you lose in the Big Ten Tournament, make it to Maryland ONLY!
bananas

Post by bananas »

Would have been a bad day If not for the Kirst brothers . Michigan improving each week.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Hello :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
laxrat78

Post by laxrat78 »

Classic Rutgers. Somethings never change
calourie

Post by calourie »

Except this year I think they get into the NCAAs if Hopkins loses to Maryland. Backing in would be better than not getting in at all. If they do get in they will get a tough first round matchup.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

calourie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 pm Except this year I think they get into the NCAAs if Hopkins loses to Maryland. Backing in would be better than not getting in at all. If they do get in they will get a tough first round matchup.
Agreed. And all about match-ups at that point. Draw a team that wants to run as much as Rutgers, and you'll get a 18-17 game. UNC's athleticism is probably too much for Rutgers, but a UVA or Denver...probably wouldn't want to see Rutgers in your opening round game. If Cuse gets a seed and draws Rutgers? I wouldn't want to be Cuse.
GSP

Post by GSP »

Wheels wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm
calourie wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:17 pm Except this year I think they get into the NCAAs if Hopkins loses to Maryland. Backing in would be better than not getting in at all. If they do get in they will get a tough first round matchup.
Agreed. And all about match-ups at that point. Draw a team that wants to run as much as Rutgers, and you'll get a 18-17 game. UNC's athleticism is probably too much for Rutgers, but a UVA or Denver...probably wouldn't want to see Rutgers in your opening round game. If Cuse gets a seed and draws Rutgers? I wouldn't want to be Cuse.
Rutgers always chokes in big games on the extremely rare occasions when they even have a big game. 'Cuse would annihilate Rutgers. Not to fear however as Rutgers will not get in. If Rutgers were to get in by some miracle and drew an ACC team matchup, it is very likely that they would get shut out. There are no Ohio States, Michigans, Hops or Penn States in the ACC.
Last edited by GSP on Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Brecht strikes again :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

GSP wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:25 am
Wheels wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:56 pm
Rutgers always chokes in big games on the extremely rare occasions when they even have a big game. 'Cuse would annihilate Rutgers. Not to fear however as Rutgers will not get in. If Rutgers were to get in by some miracle and drew an ACC team matchup, it is very likely that they would get shut out. There are no Ohio States, Michigans, Hops or Penn States in the ACC.
one of the most absurd statements i've read on this board. shut out? when's the last time ANY d1 program has been shut out? 'cuse is lucky if they make the tournament - they've been abysmal this year. a last second game against RMU isn't going to propel them into the tournament.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

You can't give any BIG team the benefit of the doubt (maybe MD) when the conf didn't play any OOC competition. There's no way to know just how good Rutgers or Hopkins actually are. Hopkins has gotten hot in the BIG Tourney in past only to be crushed by OOC competition in first round and those were years when they were able to play outside of conf. Rutgers just seems sort of "all hat, no cattle." There's no way they should have lost last night.

Now, if SU loses to RoMo later today, I'll STFU.
Last edited by tech37 on Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

GSP stand for Got Some Pot? Can't be thinking too clearly when you're saying the under achieving and imploding Cuse is going to annihilate anyone.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

tech37 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:49 am Hopkins has gotten hot in the BIG Tourney in past only to be crushed by OOC competition in first round and those were years when they were able to play outside of conf.
Sorry - ran across this and thought some clarification was necessary. This is not really true. The first year Hopkins won the BIG title - they went to the Final Four and lost in the semis by one goal (to another BIG team BTW). The second time they won the tournament they had eventual National Champion Duke worried in the quarters (down by one goal late in the third). In 2019 - Hopkins did reach the BIG title game and did not play well at Notre Dame in the first round but that was not a very good Hopkins team but then "getting hot" in the BIG tourney constitutes a single upset of Maryland. This Hopkins defense is better and the new goalie is really helping. And to be very clear - Hopkins has been crushed in the NCAA tournament - usually by Duke - but no correlation to the BIG tourney.

I of course know this is a Rutgers thread and can feel for your frustration. Your attack is a wonderful trio and there are other nice pieces - the goalie, Jean-Felix etc. Hopefully they'll get into the tournament. I would like to see them play a team from another conference too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”