Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by DocBarrister »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:45 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:14 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:01 pm I'll be fascinated by the final stats but one is obvious - Rutgers had 10 goals - 6 below its average in the two prior games with Hopkins and if memory serves me correct the Rutgers attack had only 50 or 55% of its goals instead of low/mid 70's. A great job by Marcille and the D.

They need to really work on that play where the defenseman gets "hung up". I don't like the goalie jumping all the way behind the goal - with two this game and one against PSU I believe - it's not working. Be patient - stay with the cutters and be ready to take names wichever side the attackman chooses. If they do that against Bernhardt - he might get to double digits.
Seemed like all of their goals were either in transition, EMO, or in chaotic unsettled situations (including the two times Marcille came out of the cage). In settled 6-on-6 sets, they couldn't get much going. Neither could Penn State. Maryland is going to be a different animal but that says a lot about the work Coach K has done with that unit. All three poles had stellar games, Reinson in particular with 5 GBS (a few of which were huge) and 2 CT. Szuluk and Delaney were also strong. Shorties can still be a bit of an adventure but they are no longer the gaping liability that they once were. I thought they got pretty gassed toward the end there. A lot of minutes for Martin and Jaronski. Getting their legs back for Saturday will be key if we have any hope of a miracle.

I don't want to get ahead of myself—I certainly hope we win on Saturday and while the chances are slim they ain't zero—but either way these past three games have shut a lot of people up.
Agree with most of this except the comment on SSDMs. I think vastly improved SSDM play has been one of the turning points of this season, and tonight was no different. There was really only one goal (the first one) where a true SSDM got beaten 1v1, and that was by Mullins. The other goals against shorties (2 of them) were when offensive middies got caught on the defensive end. Even if you count those, we scored at least 6 by exploiting their SSDMs. I thought it was one of the big differences in the game.
I thought our SSDMs had a great game. When’s the last time we could say that?

Coach Koesterer deserves a raise. :)

DocBarrister :D
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 pm
Chitown wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:18 pm What happens if we beat the Terps? Will the NCAA let us in with a losing record?
Yep. If you win the AQ, you're in. Record doesn't matter. Essentially an NCAA play-in game at this point. Crazy that we even have this opportunity.

Before we turn our attention to Maryland, feels good to just soak this in for a second. It's a great day to be a Jay.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... id-thieves
IF we beat an 11-0 team w/the tewaraaton candidate that has beaten us twice this year, we're looking at getting syracuse, rutgers or army's bid. Not to be nutty but if we handle Maryland, and no I'm not on crack (at the moment) are we looking at a first round home game?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

laxrat78 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm Everyone in this forum that was b*tching about Milliman and Hopkins a couple weeks ago coming for his head is the worst kind of lacrosse fan. All of you are a bunch of back seat drivers. Trust the process. As an outsider you guys are f*cking wack jobs. Nice win!!
A couple people here do not speak for everyone. Should be clear with some of the wackjobs you're used to that run around the Syracuse forums and threads.

Gonna go back to enjoying my victory beer. Love beating Rutgers. Not as good as beating MD though, so lets go do that. :twisted:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxrat78 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:49 pm Everyone in this forum that was b*tching about Milliman and Hopkins a couple weeks ago coming for his head is the worst kind of lacrosse fan. All of you are a bunch of back seat drivers. Trust the process. As an outsider you guys are f*cking wack jobs. Nice win!!
well, then....

in fairness, a number have preached patience.
still. it's hopkins thread, sabre board, cuse bord, and navy thread (when they don't like the coach) in some kind of order.

throw in the loyola thread making a run in 2021.

edit to add: the twitter miami vice milliman to epstein finger was the 2021 moment of the year
Last edited by wgdsr on Thu May 06, 2021 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Marcille, Degnon and Pesko are gods :o
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Not everyone
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The save by Marcille in the 4Q, when we up 10-8 but incredibly rattled and our D inexplicably threw the ball to the Rutgers guy standing alone on the crease, was the key moment of the game. If they score there, I don't think we win.
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

Drcthru wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 pm Marcille, Degnon and Pesko are gods :o
And M.Narewski
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I mean geez I hope the guys are licking their chops here:

Saturday they can win and...

1. End MDs undefeated season.
2. Make the NCAA tournament at 5-8 and make the collective lacrosse world groan in agony.
3. Knock Rutgers and/or Syracuse and/or Loyola out of the NCAA tournament.
4. Win their 2nd B1G tournament in 3 tries and come 1 goal away from 3-peating.
5. Beat MD (because that is enough sometimes ignoring everything else)

What else do you need? go get it gentlemen!
Last edited by Catbird on Thu May 06, 2021 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:50 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:30 pm
Chitown wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:18 pm What happens if we beat the Terps? Will the NCAA let us in with a losing record?
Yep. If you win the AQ, you're in. Record doesn't matter. Essentially an NCAA play-in game at this point. Crazy that we even have this opportunity.

Before we turn our attention to Maryland, feels good to just soak this in for a second. It's a great day to be a Jay.
https://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/m ... id-thieves
IF we beat an 11-0 team w/the tewaraaton candidate that has beaten us twice this year, we're looking at getting syracuse, rutgers or army's bid. Not to be nutty but if we handle Maryland, and no I'm not on crack (at the moment) are we looking at a first round home game?
Definitely not. No way they give a 5-8 team a seed even if they're coming in red hot.

Also don't forget the first-round games are at predetermined locations this year. So a "home game" might not actually be a home game anyway.

But, again, way ahead of ourselves.

I've been hard on him so credit where credit it's due—Baskin had a good game. He's a scrappy little guy. As long as your entire midfield isn't comprised of guys like that its not the worst thing to have one or two. Sometimes it pays to have a very low center of gravity when dodging against a D-mid. One of his two goals was a direct result of getting underneath leverage from just being flat out short—was able to just roll off the check.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Nawreski 18 of 23, with 12 gbs. Kid deserves a lot of credit for the win. Marcille, Peshko, Degnon, Reinson, Szuluk all really good too, but 18 of 23 goes a long way.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

As a Terps fan... it would be almost awesome if Hopkins won Saturday and Rutgers squeaked in over Syracuse

Then the ACC got pummeled in the NCAA from all angles with UMD winning the title
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

RumorMill wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 pm
Drcthru wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:56 pm Marcille, Degnon and Pesko are gods :o
And M.Narewski
+1
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
laxrat78

Post by laxrat78 »

I am happy to see JHU starting to turn it around! I am also happy the terps have a hot team they are gonna be playing in the conference championship. It's going to be nice seeing Jared B going for 4-2 and Maryland takes a big ole fat dookie on Hopkins cruising into the NCAA play!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Essexfenwick wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 pm As a Terps fan... it would be almost awesome if Hopkins won Saturday and Rutgers squeaked in over Syracuse

Then the ACC got pummeled in the NCAA from all angles with UMD winning the title
yes. there's a lot of this on these threads.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-the team was 2-8
-keogh who has been the 7th most productive middie starting over peshko was interesting.
-One of the terp forums mentioned that williams has been a problem. 25 pts in 7 career games would warrant that statement.
-the curious case of joey epstein took another turn tonight. he had one early that looked close.
-delaney reinson have roughly the gb haul through 12 that a lot of our guys had through 16 in 2019.
-some were asking about jaronski earlier in the year and they've shown a lot more confidence in him and martin as the year has gone on. Martin had a big closeout gb tonight. Mabett is down to 7 gp.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 am
-the team was 2-8
-keogh who has been the 7th most productive middie starting over peshko was interesting.
-One of the terp forums mentioned that williams has been a problem. 25 pts in 7 career games would warrant that statement.
-the curious case of joey epstein took another turn tonight. he had one early that looked close.
-delaney reinson have roughly the gb haul through 12 that a lot of our guys had through 16 in 2019.
-some were asking about jaronski earlier in the year and they've shown a lot more confidence in him and martin as the year has gone on. Martin had a big closeout gb tonight. Mabett is down to 7 gp.
I believe Epstein may be playing through some injuries based on Coach Milliman’s recent comments.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

So Hopkins executed the things they had to do in order to pull the upset - they tried to give it away in the 4th but through 3 quarters they were spot on
- Limiting turnovers - only 5 in the first half - Kirst's heroics in goal kept the Blue Jay lead at only two
- Winning face-offs and possessions - sometimes face-off stats are very deceiving but they meant alot in this game as Rutgers only went on two 3 goal runs and the 4th quarter run was in part fueled by Rutgers only successful part of the game at the face-off dot.
- Ground balls - while Narewski's 12 means that Hopkins' non FO ground balls was 24 and Rutgers was at 1 or 2 - that means still that non F/O ground balls was pretty much 50/50 and the ground balls by the defense in the 4th when the fingernails were down to the quick were critical
- Marcille was great - he probably saved the game with the stop on Mullins - no question. He also got in the way of 9 of the 14 shots on goal by the Rutgers attack - Rutgers feeds off the emotional contriubutions from those three and that went a long way
- They made others beat them and the Rutgers middies couldn't do it.
- Would have been hard to believe that in the middle of the season - you would be watching a game against a good opponent where Hopkins was living off 10 yard + bombs - if they can start to capitalize on defenses pressing out to contest those shots - they'll be even better
- For the life of me '06 - why do you keep bringing up Mabbett? HE IS INJURED - so's Keogh BTW - you can see he's gutting it out on one leg.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 am
jhu06 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:29 am
-the team was 2-8
I believe Epstein may be playing through some injuries based on Coach Milliman’s recent comments.

DocBarrister
Was he hurt when he was benched a few weeks ago for poor play?
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

At large hopefuls will be rooting against Hop because if Hop wins, Terps will take an at large bid. Hop haters will continue to hate.

Just how Hop wants it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”