A Senior Dad's Rant

D3 Womens Lacrosse
netrip

A Senior Dad's Rant

Post by netrip »

OK, I’m ranting.

But I just watched my last competitive lacrosse game involving my kids after 22 seasons, so I hope you’ll agree I’m entitled.

Consider two talented Centennial Conference players, Middie A and Middie B –

Scoring totals are more or less a wash; A played 2 more games overall (8 to 6), but she actually had more points in the same number of conference games.

B had negligible GBs, surely a valuable MIddie stat; A led all players in the conference.

B had a nice total of 17 DCs; A more than doubled her up with 40 and finished 2nd in the conference while taking almost every draw (at 5’3”)

A tripled up B in CTs and led all players in the conference.

In sum, B had nice scoring totals for an offensive Middie; A matched her in offense and realistically could have been considered for DEFENSIVE POY, too.

I ask you: who deserves Conference Midfielder of the year? Is this strictly a goals scored award? Even that’s not that different. Or are the awards limited solely to the two top Centennial teams?

Ok, rant over! Yes, I'm the Dad of A, so snark away. Great job by the girls and the coaches at WAC this year, and for the last four! We should have had Attacker, Midfielder, Coach, AND Rookie of the year and all four went to the monster squads.
Matnum PI

Re: A Senior Dad's Rant

Post by Matnum PI »

At the risk of poking the bear, What's the SOS for A's team vs. B's team?
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
netrip

Post by netrip »

In the conference, we played each other (A = WAC, B=F&M), Gettysburg, Dickinson, McDaniel, Muhlenberg, and Ursinus. In addition, A played Salisbury and Rowan, and B played a second game vs McDaniel. So, I'd venture to say that A's team's SOS (games against three top 5ish teams) was not insignificantly higher than B's (#5 Gettysburg and WAC).
Bart

Post by Bart »

netrip wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:52 pm OK, I’m ranting.

But I just watched my last competitive lacrosse game involving my kids after 22 seasons, so I hope you’ll agree I’m entitled.

Consider two talented Centennial Conference players, Middie A and Middie B –

Scoring totals are more or less a wash; A played 2 more games overall (8 to 6), but she actually had more points in the same number of conference games.

B had negligible GBs, surely a valuable MIddie stat; A led all players in the conference.

B had a nice total of 17 DCs; A more than doubled her up with 40 and finished 2nd in the conference while taking almost every draw (at 5’3”)

A tripled up B in CTs and led all players in the conference.

In sum, B had nice scoring totals for an offensive Middie; A matched her in offense and realistically could have been considered for DEFENSIVE POY, too.

I ask you: who deserves Conference Midfielder of the year? Is this strictly a goals scored award? Even that’s not that different. Or are the awards limited solely to the two top Centennial teams?

Ok, rant over! Yes, I'm the Dad of A, so snark away. Great job by the girls and the coaches at WAC this year, and for the last four! We should have had Attacker, Midfielder, Coach, AND Rookie of the year and all four went to the monster squads.
Interesting. What was the totals when they went head to head? How about vs the other strong opponent Gettysburg? How do they stack up in Turnovers? IF you have a bunch of CT's but a bunch more TO's that is a net loss. Did the TO's lead to goals? What about shots? Shot percentage or shot vs shots on goal? All important.

Or it could just come down to two qualified middies and the spoils go to the winner.

Return to “D3 WOMENS LACROSSE”