THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:34 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:57 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Having said that, this team’s main problem is cognitive, not physical.
It's both.

The midfield is too small. That is an unassailable fact.
What else needs to be said. Size and strength freezing on the sidelines seeing zero minutes. Makes no sense.
begs the question........how long does that "dynamic stretch" last :roll:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:30 pm

Not sure. He would still draw a pole and the thought of Williams having to play D is ...um...not good.
He's 6'5'', 210 lbs, and athletic. He can't possibly play worse defense than the current cast of middies.

He'd likely still draw a pole but I feel like he wouldn't have to work as hard to switch the matchup. Maybe don't need to turn him into a "midfielder" but with Epstein looking good at X you could invert (or "outvert," whatever you want to call it) Williams to the top of the formation more often. He at least has more speed to get back in the hole after a turnover than the other guys do. Call me crazy but the thought of dodging directly at a dude of Williams's size is slightly less appealing than seeing Baskin or Concannon and absolutely salivating at the chance to take them to the rack.
Williams needs to play more physical, more like the BIG MAN that he is, and look less to feeding the ball. I know that’s exactly the opposite of what they have been working on. He also needs to work on his shooting again. Heck, the entire team does. Maybe when Epstein puts in his extra shooting practice in, the rest of the team should follow his lead.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:37 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:08 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:29 pm
moore mr. briteside.....BIG conference games can't start soon enough. Not fairing well against Patriot league so far, but not to worry, Patriot is only a one team bid invite league, so plenty of room for those BiG teams with barely above .500 winning percentagle.
Big 10 will get 5 teams. Guess who still won’t be in?!
Rutgers
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

You cherry picked one year. My lax friend researched clearing stats over 30 years.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Just wondering and it is a serious question because I dont know. Is this a contract year for the Hopkins staff?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:13 pm You cherry picked one year. My lax friend researched clearing stats over 30 years.
Listed by past 5 years champions, past five cherry picking years.

Shooting percentage and assists per goal/game are way better predictors.

Just curious where did he get the past 30 years for all of the ncaa?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:19 pm Just wondering and it is a serious question because I dont know. Is this a contract year for the Hopkins staff?
Petro's contract was extended after the 2015 Final Four run to last through the 2020 season. So he has one more year left on his deal after this one.

Scary to think we could hit March without a single win. We're entering must win territory...not just for the team's confidence but because the resume-boosting non-conference wins are starting to dwindle. Delaware and Mt. St. Mary's probably won't be "quality wins." Princeton is a maybe. That leaves the 3 ACC teams. Think we'd have to win 2 of them, starting next week in Chapel Hill where the Jays found some success two years ago.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

3-0
0-2
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

From Ernie's game recap:
Epstein's six points are the most by a Johns Hopkins freshman since Paul Rabil had six (2g, 4a) against Marist in the first round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament
In his second game. Against the soon-to-be #1 team in the country. The stage wasn't too big for him. Unfortunately he's just one guy. This season is off to an alarming start but at least we've got this kid for four years.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:35 am First Battle of Charles Street for me today....What should I expect?
That was fun....great atmosphere...a little cold, but enjoyed the experience. Watched the Women's game before the men.

Loyola Men are wicked good.
admin
Site Admin

Warning

Post by admin »

During a break in play, Referee pulls Doc Barrister aside and says, "Number Doc, there are kids in the stands watching the game. take it easy on the s- and f- words." Play resumes...
molo

Post by molo »

Princeton a "maybe" as a win or as quality win?
molo

Post by molo »

Epstein is clearly the best offensive player on the team. The reluctance to go to directly to him when the game was (sort of) competitive took me back almost four years to the similar reluctance to let their then best player, also a freshman, initiate late in a game they almost lost to Penn State. On a tough day, the freshman FOGO stood out.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What am I missing? Why not change, or get a look at another goalie?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:24 pm Princeton a "maybe" as a win or as quality win?
Both
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

35-21 and the games weren't that close to prompt the first 0-2 start since 1971 is pretty bad. I don't know if this is second half of 2010 bad, 2013 bad, or the successive blowouts to end most of the ncaa tournament games since 2009 bad, but it's the latest chapter of a story that's had too too many for a program with this tradition and resources. They dominated the sport making almost annual ff runs from 2001-2008 and the decade since has been a lot of hyped incoming kids and mediocrity to awful with some rare moments of greatness and some nice moments.

You can point to bright spots today-Epstein, but then you look at the rest of the offense and williams, connor, concannon, forry, baskin, keough all of whom were expected to do bigger things this year and you see a mess of regression, mental and physical mistakes and questions about where the bigger stronger freshmen are. I got heat 2 weeks ago here for pointing out that marr and williams had too many penalties last year and marr took them out of any kind of opportunity to capitalize on matt narewskis run at the X with his mind numbing penalty. He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.

The defense is a dumpster fire, and easily collapsed as it has in may games for the last decade and beyond in what should have been a signature performance. Spencer is a great player but one they've seen for years. Danny Jones, it's been a decade of watching mighty mouse ssdms get run over in big games. We're also in must win territory and back to where we were in 2010 and 2013 and some other years where you see ineffective veterans and wonder why other options aren't being tested as the same players make the same mistakes over and over again. If it's not the coaching change the player.

You look at the bright spots-matt narewski and say ok, so why wasn't he out there to start?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If the kid's helmet is strapped in tighter that's not a penalty on Marr. In any case, he had 5 goals. He's one of 3 or 4 guys, coaches included, who playued/coached well enough to win: Marr, Epstein, Narewski, maybe Hubler who had a couple nice GBs and is apparently the only guy capable of clearing the ball. I think it's silly to direct any ire at Marr, especially on a day when the defense gave up 18 goals, 17 of them in the 6v6.

Narewski didn't really show enough at Towson to warrant being the #1 guy today from the first whistle but after this performance I would assume he and Prouty swap roles—Narewski as "the guy" and Prouty as the change of pace option. But it's funny how faceoffs no longer look like the biggest problem. I've said this before. It's been whack-a-mole with this team. One area of the game seemingly improves but then another immediately rears its ugly head. It's mid February so I'm not expecting everything to be perfect but it's certainly an ominous sign. When a good team loses, usually you can point to one, maybe two things as the obvious culprits. Defense ball-watched. Couldn't win a faceoff. Shooting was terrible. Etc. But for us in these losses it's always a grab bag of debacles. Systemic.
DocBarrister

Re: Warning

Post by DocBarrister »

admin wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:18 pm During a break in play, Referee pulls Doc Barrister aside and says, "Number Doc, there are kids in the stands watching the game. take it easy on the s- and f- words." Play resumes...
Aw, c’mon ... that’s bullpucky! I even used asterisks.

DocBarrister (innocent) ;)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:01 pm
jhu06 wrote
He can score goals, congrats but a senior and son of one of the better coaches in the game is not supposed to display that kind of immaturity.
His father got a 2 min bench penalty today in the UA-Cuse game, assistant got a one minute too. Don't know what they were all fired up about, but they sure pizzed the refs off whatever it was.
The Cuse player pulled a Maradona "Hand of God"—used his non-stick hand to literally catch the ball and put it on the ground. Legal in hockey. Not legal in lacrosse. No idea how the refs missed it. Doesn't excuse cursing out the refs, but it was a horrendous non-call.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”