D1 Men Rankings

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Cooter

Re: Inside Lacrosse rankings

Post by Cooter »

hens62 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:34 pm Let the over reactions begin..

ND already getting jumped by Rutgers and Towson, hasnt even gotten a chance to play. Rutgers was down to St Johns in the 4th..

Who would pick HPU head to head against UNC, Hopkins, Syracuse (not to mention Georgetown, Lehigh, Colgate, Hofstra, UMass) if they were playing today? Why cant we just let upsets be upsets and not a "sign of parity" ?

Now for my over reaction - the top 6 are the real contenders this year (would keep Duke in that mix as well)

Also.. who is out there putting UMass Lowell on their top 20 poll?
I think jumping Towson all the way up to #7 seems a little questionable. I probably would have Duke at #7. Filling out the rest of the top 10 is hard though. So I guess in the end maybe you have Towson among the teams filling out the top 10. Maybe High Point should be there too.
Live Free or Die!
DaneFan

Post by DaneFan »

Cooter wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:53 pm

ND already getting jumped by Rutgers and Towson, hasnt even gotten a chance to play. Rutgers was down to St Johns in the 4th..

Who would pick HPU head to head against UNC, Hopkins, Syracuse (not to mention Georgetown, Lehigh, Colgate, Hofstra, UMass) if they were playing today? Why cant we just let upsets be upsets and not a "sign of parity" ?

Now for my over reaction - the top 6 are the real contenders this year (would keep Duke in that mix as well)

I think jumping Towson all the way up to #7 seems a little questionable. I probably would have Duke at #7. Filling out the rest of the top 10 is hard though. So I guess in the end maybe you have Towson among the teams filling out the top 10. Maybe High Point should be there too.
Hard to say, but from going unranked to top 10 is difficult. Football may not be the best analogy anymore since there are just so many good players coming out of high school and still only 73 Div I opportunities, but I don't think we have ever seen a week one in college football where three top ten teams were beat, and at least one or two of them looked physically outmatched at times.

The question I have is the jump of HPU and Towson questionable or was the evaluation of Duke and in particular Hopkins' rosters off base? I don't think any of us would have had either team as a top 20 preseason, and in some circles given Towson's style of play, I heard them as one of the teams which would struggle the most adapting to the new rules.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

USILA Coaches Poll
https://usila.org/sports/2019/2/11/MLAX_0211194310.aspx

Yale 1 0-0 378 (18) 1
Loyola Maryland 2 1-0 354 (1) 4
Maryland 3 2-0 331 3
Penn State 4 2-0 309 9
Denver 5 1-0 299 8
Cornell 6 0-0 296 5
Notre Dame 7 0-0 243 10
Duke 8 2-1 233 2
Rutgers 9 2-0 202 12
Towson 10 1-0 189 NR
Virginia 11 0-1 176 6
North Carolina 12 2-0 158 13
Ohio State 13 2-0 151 15
Albany (NY) 13 0-0 112 16
Johns Hopkins 15 0-1 109 7
High Point 16 2-0 86 NR
Georgetown 17 1-0 65 18
Princeton 18 0-0 53 17
Army 19 1-0 51 NR
Colgate 20 1-0 48 NR

Also receiving votes: Syracuse. Marquette, Hofstra, Michigan, Lehigh, Massachusetts, Navy, Bucknell, Penn, Richmond, Brown, and Villanova.
Live Free or Die!
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

I think the USILA coaches poll seems to be a little more conservative, not moving teams around quite as much. Overall, I think it is preferable.
Live Free or Die!
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

circular perversion fer sur......... a few examples of just how silly people are when dismissing the reality of parity

All from last year.

St. Johns was tied with UNC last year. Heels scored the game winner with 7 seconds left.
Maryland was only up by 1 goal for most of the 4th quarter against HIGH Point
UNC needed OT to beat Furman.
Yale lost to Bucknell
Oh...and that jumping Rutgers had a six goal lead until a 1:20 was left in the game against Syracuse. Oh, and 'Cuse making the tourney was a joke too. Sorry, but who did 'Cuse beat last year. UNC? The team that barely beat St. Johns and Furman.
It's like the Boston Food scene of 1979.............way more options besides Hilltop and Locke Ober
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
hens62

Post by hens62 »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:14 pm
circular perversion fer sur......... a few examples of just how silly people are when dismissing the reality of parity

All from last year.

St. Johns was tied with UNC last year. Heels scored the game winner with 7 seconds left.
Yale lost to Bucknell
Oh...and that jumping Rutgers had a six goal lead until a 1:20 was left in the game against Syracuse. Oh, and 'Cuse making the tourney was a joke too. Sorry, but who did 'Cuse beat last year. UNC? The team that barely beat St. Johns and Furman.
It's like the Boston Food scene of 1979.............way more options besides Hilltop and Locke Ober
The post was about over reacting to week 1 results (upsets) and how lacrosse media loves to push parity when its not there. Im sure after all the upsets you listed, the same media was quick to write off Yale, Maryland... and look who still ends up in the final 4. Surprised no one on that media poll list put in Utah as receiving votes :roll:

Case in point - the coaches poll is much less reactionary as they have no other agenda
Dunker

Post by Dunker »

Here is how I look at the polls or at least what I think the polls should represent. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Pre-season poll: This is where the pollsters think the teams might place come Memorial Day.

Weekly Polls: This is where teams stand now. PSU and Towson's impressive start warrant a high rating. `Duke, Cuse, and Hop, deserve big slides in rankings because of their showing so far.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

hens62 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm

All from last year.

Yale lost to Bucknell
The post was about over reacting to week 1 results (upsets) and how lacrosse media loves to push parity when its not there. Im sure after all the upsets you listed, the same media was quick to write off Yale, Maryland... and look who still ends up in the final 4. Surprised no one on that media poll list put in Utah as receiving votes :roll:

Case in point - the coaches poll is much less reactionary as they have no other agenda
I'm reacting to using the term "upset" in the first place. Besides a handful of teams, they don't exist, imho

Media doesn't need to "push" anything regarding parity. We can start with how many "new" champions in the past ten years and go from there.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

runrussellrun wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:55 pm
hens62 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:44 pm

All from last year.

Yale lost to Bucknell

I'm reacting to using the term "upset" in the first place. Besides a handful of teams, they don't exist, imho

Media doesn't need to "push" anything regarding parity. We can start with how many "new" champions in the past ten years and go from there.
Yep.... you could see this coming. Three or four teams don't can't to pass the trophy around any longer. Hell even Maryland is considered "new".
“I wish you would!”
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Dunker wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm Here is how I look at the polls or at least what I think the polls should represent. Tell me where I'm wrong.

Pre-season poll: This is where the pollsters think the teams might place come Memorial Day.

Weekly Polls: This is where teams stand now. PSU and Towson's impressive start warrant a high rating. `Duke, Cuse, and Hop, deserve big slides in rankings because of their showing so far.
Where you are wrong is that 1 game is not much data. You have other sources of data, which can allow you to make better assessments of the strengths of the various teams. Most of these other sources of data were those you used in the preseason rankings, but not all, some can be ongoing - for example, a team might have had a question mark in goal at the start of the season, and the new goalie is looking good.
As the season moves onward, the rankings should become more and more dependent on game results.
Last edited by Cooter on Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Free or Die!
Nassaufan

Post by Nassaufan »

One-third of the top 20 teams are winless. If Duke, JHU and UVA can drop their first game, who's to say Yale, Cornell, ND, Albany and/or Princeton couldn't.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

With Yale losing in ot to Villanova, we should have a new #1 this week.

If Loyola holds on against Hopkins, it looks like they will be the choice.
Live Free or Die!
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Pretty clear that Loyola will be #1

#2 and #3 are not as obvious.

Does Penn State move ahead of Maryland based on their close win over Penn in OT?
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DU-fan wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:47 pm Pretty clear that Loyola will be #1

#2 and #3 are not as obvious.

Does Penn State move ahead of Maryland based on their close win over Penn in OT?
You're forgetting the Terps close win over Richmond too. Nitme Lions just rolling, easy choice for number 2. High Point gotta be in the mix for a top spot. Along with Towson.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Looking at the Coach's poll
Ohio State and UNC both had nice wins today.
OSU had a solid 11-7 win over UMass on the road and had a big home win over Boston U last weekend to put them at 3-0.
UNC had a 16-11 win over Harvard today to go to 3-0
Will they possibly jump over #11 UVa.

Rutgers losing to Army 10-9, will drop from the top 10 - so UNC and OSU should at least move up 1.

High Point edged out Drexel today, and should move past Albany and Hopkins, probably Rutgers.

Syracuse rebounding and beating Albany 13-5, should reenter the top 20.
Live Free or Die!
Boxster54

Post by Boxster54 »

Top 5 next week should be the following:
Loyola
Maryland
Penn St
Duke
Yale

Cornell should be good but can't put a team inside the top 5 that has not played a game yet and its week 3! You got to earn it. Yale drops to 5 despite the OT loss today to Nova. That loss didn't hurt them last year!
calourie

Post by calourie »

Yale will fall to the bottom of the top ten if not further. Next week against "we are" will be a clearer determinant. Loyola and PSU looking like 1 and 2 to me.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

calourie wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:31 pm Yale will fall to the bottom of the top ten if not further. Next week against "we are" will be a clearer determinant. Loyola and PSU looking like 1 and 2 to me.
Loyola (little biased since i graduated last May) should be #1 with Penn State close 2nd and Maryland 3rd
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

I think the top 10 will be:

1 Loyola
2 Penn State
3 Maryland
4 Cornell
5 Towson
6 Duke