Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
lagerhead

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by lagerhead »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:17 pm I have a few end of season thoughts to close out the year. I’m not saying Thursday will be the end. Hope not. But I have a few things to say before we move onto 2022:

First: This season has been both a gift and a blessing. W-L record aside, I’m very glad that the team, staff and parents got to enjoy a nearly full season, and safely. And I’m glad that the fans got to experience it in some form or fashion: through TV coverage, YouTube, here at FanLax, and by some of you persistent bastards who got tickets somehow or went to some of the away games like Rutgers. Good for you.

I’ll add second, third and fourth.. thoughts in future days.

I can’t add anymore at the moment. A triple shot of Barenjager on an empty stomach wasn’t a good idea. Damn near instant migraine.

W
+1
I think this goes for all lacrosse teams and fans!!
SocHop72

Post by SocHop72 »

Hey Wombat...the headache is from the sugar content not the alcohol. Maybe you should chase it. I hope the players are hungry and that they continue to have fun (as long as it lasts).
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

I’ve recovered. Big salad and some diet soda.

Hopkins is playing with nothing to lose. Every step forward now is just another stone in building the foundation for the future, while having fun while doing it, which I think is the case but I haven’t had my boots on the ground at Homewood to know much by meeting and greeting folks in person.

Playing loose, without fear of mistakes and having fun, can breed a different level of success. I’m sure there is still a lot of yelling and teaching moments.

I will always tell you that one huge key to the success in 2005 and 2007 was the levity provided by Jake Byrne. That guy once appeared at a rain-soaked practice wearing flippers and a mask with snorkel. It takes a whole team, and a lot of those guys are legendary, but I’ve always felt Jake’s contribution was under appreciated but yet an absolutely essential ingredient to those years.

Dixon on the Penn State broadcast said something that made me laugh: he said Hopkins had “old man mo” - momentum.

Hope the guys have fun and ride that wave.

W
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 pm I’ve recovered. Big salad and some diet soda.

Hopkins is playing with nothing to lose. Every step forward now is just another stone in building the foundation for the future, while having fun while doing it, which I think is the case but I haven’t had my boots on the ground at Homewood to know much by meeting and greeting folks in person.

Playing loose, without fear of mistakes and having fun, can breed a different level of success. I’m sure there is still a lot of yelling and teaching moments.

I will always tell you that one huge key to the success in 2005 and 2007 was the levity provided by Jake Byrne. That guy once appeared at a rain-soaked practice wearing flippers and a mask with snorkel. It takes a whole team, and a lot of those guys are legendary, but I’ve always felt Jake’s contribution was under appreciated but yet an absolutely essential ingredient to those years.

Dixon on the Penn State broadcast said something that made me laugh: he said Hopkins had “old man mo” - momentum.

W
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

ohmilax34 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:49 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 pm I’ve recovered. Big salad and some diet soda.

W
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

W
Jake Byrne ... not just the funniest guy on the team, but also one of the most clutch players of the Petro era. Game-tying magical goal against Virginia with less than 2 seconds left in the 2005 NCAA semifinals; the game winning goal against Duke in the 2005 finals; and four goals against Duke in the 2007 finals.

Best thing I heard Milliman say since he arrived is his instruction to the team not to worry about mistakes. I sometimes thought players under Petro worried more about making a mistake than winning a game.

Anyway, good luck to the Blue Jays on Thursday. Their hard work is finally paying off.

DocBarrister :)
@DocBarrister
RumorMill

Post by RumorMill »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 pm
Best thing I heard Milliman say since he arrived is his instruction to the team not to worry about mistakes.

Anyway, good luck to the Blue Jays on Thursday. Their hard work is finally paying off.

DocBarrister :)
Yes, easy to say now... but during season play mistakes seemed to draw a different response. Not saying that’s wrong, just saying easy to change tone in one and done play. Still rooting for the Jays Thursday!
dms87

Post by dms87 »

Best thing I heard Milliman say since he arrived is his instruction to the team not to worry about mistakes.

Exactly, be dangerous, it's infectious. It just looked fun out there on the field the last two weeks. That perceived feeling and the positive energy being displayed made me smile and feel good about the direction of the future. Although I am not there I am trying to watch the subtle things on the sidelines when guys come off the field and during coaching interactions. I see, and hopefully it is not just my BlueJay lens being applied, culture being built. Stop the runs of easy transition goals vs Rutgers and get a few easy, non 6 v 6, yourself Thursday and Hop wins.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 4:09 pm Well - slow Sunday and I looked through the first two Hopkins/Rutgers match-ups and there's some pretty obvious issues to over come for the Blue Jays:
The numbers don't tell the whole story but they tell a good deal:
- Shots - Rutgers averaging 45 shots (90 total) Hopkins averaging 32 (64 total) so 13 more a game - interestingly the teams are virtually even in shots on goal 49 S. Knights 47 Jays - so Rutgers takes more shots doesn't put many more on goal but this puts pressure on the defense and brings us to the second point:
- Saves - 27 Kirst 17 Kirson - so 5 more per game for the Knights - momentum killers and more possessions - clearly Hopkins will start Marcille so if he can change that dynamic at all Hopkins will benefit
- Turnovers/Caused Turnovers - Hopkins has committed 35 turnovers - Rutgers 22 Rutgers has been credited with 14 caused turnovers Hopkins 10 so unforced turnovers Hopkins 21 - Rutgers 12 - Rutgers has just done a much better job of taking care of the ball and creating more havoc when Hopkins has the ball.
- Clears - Hopkins did have 4 failed clears in the second game in NJ - Rutgers 1 each game
- Ground Balls - as Homer Simpson would say "Here We Go" - while the nominal ground ball number is only 7 in favor of Rutgers 56 to 49 if you dive a bit deeper there is more trouble lurking beneath the surface. Narewski and Dunn have accounted for 21 of Hopkins 49 ground balls. The Rutgers face-off men have accounted for 7 - so non face-off personnel ground ball swells to 49-28. Another ground ball stat that can't be on PM's hit list is ground balls by the 10 identified starters in the score sheet - that Rutgers advantage is 28-12 including 17-5 in the second match-up
- Face-offs - While Hopkins has nominally dominated this statistic - 37-21 and it certainly helped fuel the comeback Rutgers has shown an uncanny ability to win face-offs late when they really need them. In the first game of course there were two face-off wins and goals and in the second after Williams tied the game at 11 - Rutgers won 2 of the next 3 which helped Charambalides' 3 goal run and Hopkins only won 1 in the 4th quarter (on a violation) - Hopkins not only needs to win more - they need to win the critical late ones
- EMO is pretty even - both teams 3-6 so you certainly don't want to be at bad end of the penalty stats
- Rutgers attack - AC/KM/CK have scored 23 (9, 7 and 7) of the 32 Rutgers goals vs. Hopkins - 72% (Hopkins attack is at 55% for comparison). Rutgers has done a pretty good job on DeSimone as he has only taken 5 shots in the 2 games. I just think you have to do something here 3/3/5 and 6/4/2 - 11 or 12 goals by these three and I don't think you win. Easy to identify the problem not so easy to design a solution.

Have to take care of the ball - have to figure out a way to compete better for 50/50 ground balls - have to win late face-offs - and better goalie play and figuring out a way to slow down the 3 amigos wouldn't hurt
this was well done
people to watch/click tomorrow
-epstein-connor, degnon, my friend cole, the freshmen 2nd midfield line have all had their moments of late, but we haven't seen an epstein monster. He's due.
-martin/lilly/jaronski/delaney-need to control the middle of the field and this group needs to generate the extra possessions
-jameson-This is Millimans team, but Blue Jay lore runs through his blood and his whistle and he has a chance in his game plan to bring back some of the pride in the program and programs self confidence tomorrow.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

I know you guys have a big game today and I will be pulling hard for you. So I just throw this out there. What are the chances Coach Milliman comes home and takes the head coaching job at Gettysburg that opened up yesterday with the retirement of HOF coach Hank Janczyk? I realize that sounds a little crazy but he would inherit a perennial top 10 program. I know Gettysburg can't compete with Bloomberg money but coaching is coaching.
Good Luck today and GO BULLETS!
SocHop72

Post by SocHop72 »

Slowing down RU and their run and gun offense begins with Narewski, If Hop can get them in 6v6 situations, I believe that we can play with them. It also goes without saying that Marcile must be on his A game. The Blue Jay offense looked much more confident last week and a number of different players are beginning to step up. With the various new scoring options, it would be nice to see Joey become more of a sniper (one shot on goal in four out of the last five game). I know his assist numbers are good, but a bit of 2019 Penn St. Joey would be a nice addition to the mix. I am thankful that the players have realized some success and are coming together at the best possible time of the year. Go Blue...and I don't mean Michigan!
SocHop72

Post by SocHop72 »

One more thought...shot placement will be extremely important. Arguably, RU's goalie Colin Kirst has been their most valuable player. He has averaged over 15 saves per game through the last four and has registered a better than 60% save percentage. Changing levels of your shots and picking corners will be more important than just firing away. Again, I think this is where Joey can leave his mark on the game.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Well as I pointed out earlier - Rutgers has enjoyed a significant advantage in shots but not shots on goal. So that either implies that Rutgers goalie has played better or Hopkins has not shot as well - or both - probably both. Again as I think about it - Hopkins has to do a few things to make this a contest:
- Limit turnovers - if you are supposed to be the ball control team and they are supposed to be the freewheeling running team you can't have 17.5 turnovers per game and they have 11 per game. If that happens again - Hopkins probably loses
- Groundballs - maybe you can survive this but 10.5 non face-off personnel ground ball advantage per game is a tough hill
- Limit Runs - In both games there have been key runs that have been back breakers - in the first game in Baltimore - two face-off run outs, the blown clear and the ball knocked out of Kirson's stick cued Dandy Don singing "turn out the lights the party's over". In the second game - 3 goal run to start the game, 3 goal run after you fought back to tie it at 4 and then 6 goals to finish the game highlighted by Charambalides' 3 goal run in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd quarter. And if you look at those 3 goals - what was the Hopkins defense thinking? Szuluk was in no trouble on Kirst's alley dodge so there was no reason for Lilly to go chasing which directly led to him getting left with #8. Then a rare appearance by DiPietro on Sprock and again Sprock has clearly decided he is not going to shoot but Lyne hedges way too far and can't catch up to an easy pass to Rutgers most dangerous player. Then of course the final goal of the 3 with 10 seconds on the game clock - I think Viper and Charlie have clearly identified this as not how you play an attackman who has the ball behind the goal. Hopkins has to say - this is not the guy that's going to beat us. He's scored close to 30% of their goals against Hopkins - has to be someone else and shake their hand if it happens.
- We have this supposed 60-40 advantage in face-offs but in the 4th quarters of the 2 games Rutgers 7 - Hopkins 6 and they have outscored Hopkins in the 4th 10-1
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Lax Vegas Lines has Hop +2.5 (+170 on the moneyline). O/U at 24.5. I'd probably take Rutgers and the over, but closer than I would have thought.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Vegas is all Hopkins money. The RU boys are betting on the street in Jersey.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

nyjay wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 pm Lax Vegas Lines has Hop +2.5 (+170 on the moneyline). O/U at 24.5. I'd probably take Rutgers and the over, but closer than I would have thought.
Take the over and don’t screw with picking a winner.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 5:33 pm
nyjay wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:56 pm Lax Vegas Lines has Hop +2.5 (+170 on the moneyline). O/U at 24.5. I'd probably take Rutgers and the over, but closer than I would have thought.
Is there any way to watch this game??
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Drcthru wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:17 pm
Big Ten Network or Fox Sports app
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:45 pm
Drcthru wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:17 pm
Big Ten Network or Fox Sports app
thks
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
HappyHourLax

Post by HappyHourLax »

Garrett Degnon should catch a charge for that. Good lord what a SHOT.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”