Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
lagerhead

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by lagerhead »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm Pretty good review of what went wrong in Newark effort:
https://www.npr.org/2015/09/21/44218308 ... ic-schools

and by Business Insider...note, the Newark school system, nor the city, didn't get the money...a foundation did.

https://www.businessinsider.com/mark-zu ... ker-2018-5

and by Vox: https://www.vox.com/future-perfect/2019 ... rk-schools
Corey Booker started the foundation, where is he now?
Oprah? Really?
ggait

Post by ggait »

FFG.

Sorry, but things can get hijacked when Peter starts throwing poop around.

Like claiming above that the little people are too stupid to understand how awesome trickle down economics is for them. Or how Bill Gates is tax scamming by sending billions of dollars to his foundation that serves the poor.

I’ll try harder to just boycott the stupid.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

lagerhead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 8:53 pm Pretty good review of what went wrong in Newark effort:

and by Business Insider...note, the Newark school system, nor the city, didn't get the money...a foundation did.

Oprah? Really?
Yup, a lot of mistakes, a lot of learning from that experiment particularly around engaging with community rather than top down; you hear that refrain heavily with most any philanthropic intervention these days...interestingly scores have indeed gone up (though not at first), significant improvement relative to other school systems with similar economic demographics.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

lagerhead wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:41 pm

Oprah? Really?

This whole fiasco demonstrates why Booker (and frankly almost any Democrat) is unsuited to leadership. Almost none of Zuck’s money went to improving the public non-charter schools themselves! Consultants and administration bonuses, natch.

Any person on this website (except for libs) could have done a better job than Foundation for Newark's Future. Corey uses the Fdn to advance his own income via assigning board posts to guys who then pay him $200k to speak at a company retreat.

Total unexpurgated horse manure. Criminal tbh.

Typical of how Dems could screw up selling cold drinks in the Sahara.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Leaders around the world -- many of whom dislike Trump -- condemned Facebook's/Twitter’s removal of Trump

Leaders in the democratic world -- unlike US liberals -- are able to see past their emotions about Trump and recognize the grave danger to democracy that tech censorship/liberal censorship of political speech poses.

Wannabe petty-tyrant censors. So many liberals are. Censorship is one of the things that most animates them.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... roblematic

(Compliments of Glenn Greenwald)
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

LOL you people sent lawsuit after lawsuit to allow private businesses to discriminate and do business how they want, and now you're crying about it.

It's hilarious.

"'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs man who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 pm FFG.

Like claiming above that the little people are too stupid to understand how awesome trickle down economics is for them. Or how Bill Gates is tax scamming by sending billions of dollars to his foundation that serves the poor.

No worries. I’m trying to just ignore “it” as much as possible myself.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm

It’s not really a wonder when someone has absolutely nothing interesting to offer.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:28 pm LOL you people sent lawsuit after lawsuit to allow private businesses to discriminate and do business how they want, and now you're crying about it.

It's hilarious.

"'I never thought leopards would eat MY face,' sobs man who voted for the Leopards Eating People's Faces Party."
Any specifics or links to the lawsuits to which you speak? Could it be your just talking out of your rear end? :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The gay cakes and some of that stuff.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The gay cakes and some of that stuff. There’s been plenty of that out there.

Basically a lot of my party behaves like middle eastern dictators stealing from the people they pretend to reflect and represent, talk tough but you’ll always find them hiding in spider holes when you actually stand up. Will use the media and western free and liberal cultural norms to play the role of victim and then do dastardly things like gas their own people.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

It’s not really a wonder when someone has absolutely nothing interesting to offer.
Then why are you still posting? Getting a response doesn’t mean most of the community hasn’t checked out on your humanity already.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Why I love working for the CIA

https://twitter.com/blaireerskine
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 am

Then why are you still posting? Getting a response doesn’t mean most of the community hasn’t checked out on your humanity already.

Thanks for again for proving the point.
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 9:47 am
NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:28 pm LOL you people sent lawsuit after lawsuit to allow private businesses to discriminate and do business how they want, and now you're crying about it.

It's hilarious.

Any specifics or links to the lawsuits to which you speak? Could it be your just talking out of your rear end? :roll:
Straight from my rear end to your ears... Here's a couple that were in the news. Plenty more if you walk with your fingers over to your favorite search bar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masterpie ... Commission

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arlene%27 ... rs_lawsuit
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:29 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:42 am

Thanks for again for proving the point.
Worthless
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am The gay cakes and some of that stuff. There’s been plenty of that out there.

Basically a lot of my party behaves like middle eastern dictators stealing from the people they pretend to reflect and represent, talk tough but you’ll always find them hiding in spider holes when you actually stand up. Will use the media and western free and liberal cultural norms to play the role of victim and then do dastardly things like gas their own people.
I get it now. IMO if a baker does not want to make a cake that is his/her business decision. If they don't want to make gay cake, that is their choice. If the don't want to bake an Adolph Hitler themed birthday cake also their choice. The one thing i know, for the right money, someone will bake the cake your heart desires. For the right money, you can probably get any cake baked that your heart desires.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:41 am The gay cakes and some of that stuff. There’s been plenty of that out there.

I get it now. IMO if a baker does not want to make a cake that is his/her business decision. If they don't want to make gay cake, that is their choice. If the don't want to bake an Adolph Hitler themed birthday cake also their choice. The one thing i know, for the right money, someone will bake the cake your heart desires. For the right money, you can probably get any cake baked that your heart desires.
Point is my party has talked out of both sides of their mouths when it comes to liberties too often to have credibility at the moment.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Already creating carve outs. This is why I still can’t trust democratic leadership. It’s still protecting their interests over principle. Don’t know this woman but her position on this sucks.

OLITICS
Farm-District Democrats Raise Caution Flag on Capital-Gains Tax Plan
Lawmakers in closely divided House seek assurances that protections for farm families will be included in final legislation

Rep. Cindy Axne speaking at a town hall in Ankeny, Iowa, on Jan. 25, 2020.
PHOTO: FRITZ NORDENGREN/ZUMA PRESS
By Richard Rubin
Updated May 6, 2021 1:10 pm ET
SAVE
TEXT
Listen to this article7 minutes

00:00 / 06:51
1x

WASHINGTON—Rural Democrats issued a warning Thursday about the Biden administration’s plan to tax unrealized capital gains at death, saying they are worried about the potential impact on family farms.

In a letter to House leaders, 13 members said they appreciated the administration’s proposal so far to let family-owned farms and businesses defer the taxes if they stay in family control and operation. They said they would push to ensure strong protections for farms as the plan advances and details get written.

“I’m all in support of the Jeff Bezoses of the world paying their darn fair share because they can afford it and we need it,” Rep. Cindy Axne (D., Iowa), the letter’s lead author, said Thursday. “But we can’t create an unintended outcome of losing family farms.”

Other signers include Rep. Jim Costa (D., Calif.), Abigail Spanberger (D., Va.) and Kurt Schrader (D., Ore.).

The Democrats’ letter doesn’t draw any red lines, unlike a Republican letter this week that raised similar concerns and opposed any change to capital-gains rules. But with Democrats enjoying a slim 218-212 advantage in the House, just a handful of Democrats could hold up President Biden’s broader plans to raise taxes and use the money for preschool, child tax credits and other initiatives.

“I’m laying down the marker, and I’ve got 13 colleagues who say we agree,” Ms. Axne said. “And many of us come from really difficult seats.”

President Biden’s tax plan would raise the top capital-gains tax rate to 43.4% from 23.8%. It would also alter what happens when people die with unrealized gains in stocks, land, businesses or other assets.

Related video
Biden Speech Takeaways: Big Plans With Price Tags to Match
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

UP NEXT

0:00 / 3:57
In his first address to Congress, President Biden called for huge federal investments, including $2.3 trillion in infrastructure and $1.8 trillion in family and education programs. Gerald F. Seib unpacks the four main takeaways from the speech. Photo illustration: Ksenia Shaikhutdinova
Currently, no capital-gains tax is due upon death, and heirs have to pay the tax only if they sell the asset and then only on the increase in value since the prior owner’s death. The estate tax is separate, applying to net worth upon death and only above an $11.7 million per-person exemption that spares almost all farms.

Democrats say today’s rules offer an unjustified break to a handful of very wealthy people, letting enormous asset appreciation escape the income tax. Under the Biden proposal, capital gains would be taxed as if sold at death, with a $1 million per-person exemption and existing exclusions for principal residences.

The plan also includes a special rule for farms and family-owned businesses: Heirs who continue to own and operate the business could defer the tax payment until they sell or stop running the business.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture says these rules mean that more than 98% of farms won’t owe tax if the farm stays in the family, with the remainder paying because of their nonfarm assets.

“No one should have to sell a family farm they inherit to pay taxes and the president’s tax reform guarantees that,” the department said in an April 28 statement.

These proposals come in addition to Mr. Biden’s proposal to limit real-estate investors’ ability to defer capital gains when exchanging property, a change that could affect many farmers.

A dairy farm in Westby, Wis., last October.
PHOTO: KEREM YUCEL/AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE/GETTY IMAGES
The American Farm Bureau Federation will be fighting any efforts to change capital-gains taxes, said Pat Wolff, the group’s senior director of congressional relations. She said the administration’s idea about deferring taxes for family-owned and operated businesses still needs work to protect farmers who are land-rich and cash-poor.

“That’s a very simple statement, and the way that farms transfer from one generation to the next is very complicated,” she said. “The administration was unable to provide a lot of details.”

There also could be administrative challenges in determining the cost basis for assets purchased long ago. Similar concerns helped doom a previous attempt to change capital-gains tax rules in the 1970s.

Beyond that, the leading congressional proposals for changing capital-gains rules at death so far don’t offer specific farm exemptions, though they do allow payments tied to illiquid assets to be spread over 15 years in the Senate version and seven years in the House version.

Rep. Bill Pascrell (D., N.J.), the lead House author, said current tax rules that allow unrealized gains to escape income taxation are a prime cause of inequality. The current rules reduce federal revenue by more than $40 billion a year.

NEWSLETTER SIGN-UP
Capital Journal

Scoops, analysis and insights driving Washington from the WSJ's D.C. bureau.

PREVIEW
SUBSCRIBE
“Of course we would be open to discussing ways to strengthen our legislation to reform our tax system,” he said. “But ultimately our main focus remains on sealing this loophole because its abuse by the super wealthy must end.”

Designing rules that satisfy farm-district Democrats without leaving gaps for others to exploit could prove difficult. Wealthy non-farmers have long found ways to get agricultural tax breaks. For example, former President Donald Trump put goats on his New Jersey golf courses to reduce property tax bills.

“The more of those nuances you write in, the more estate planners try to shove other assets into family businesses in order to protect them,” said Jennifer Bird-Pollan, a tax law professor at the University of Kentucky. “A lot of this is a political question rather than an actual tax-consequence-for-real-people question.”

Canada, which has taxed capital gains at death for nearly 50 years, has no general exemption, but it does have a special exemption for farming and fishing property, along with deferred payments if those businesses stay within families. Canada has no estate tax.

J.R. Peterson farms soybeans and corn on 700 acres in northern Iowa that has been in his wife’s family for three generations and is concerned about the potential changes. Even if there is a carve-out for farms that stay within a family, he worries that his children would be faced with a tax bill in the millions if they chose to sell the family’s land after inheriting it.

“We don’t consider ourselves wealthy, we scrape and claw for everything,” Mr. Peterson said. “If something like this would go through, there are a lot of people responsible for putting safe and healthy food on people’s tables that are going to be massively impacted.”

In Kentucky Thursday, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R., Ky.) singled out the capital-gains tax changes as he criticized Mr. Biden’s broader agenda.

“These are not necessarily rich people, these are people who worked hard throughout their lifetime and would like to be able to leave behind their family farm or their small business to their children,” he said. “This is not something that I or do I think any of my Republican colleagues are prepared to support.”

—Rachel Louise Ensign and Andrew Duehren contributed to this article
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Seriously, why is a “family farm” different than any other asset? Really annoying. This is how fast the intelligent and libertarian side of the Republican Party who pushed Biden over the top are going to check out. Either inheritance of assets of some threshold amount is immoral/wrong whatever or it’s not. You don’t get to start carving this and that out for your favored political class.

Return to “POLITICS”