ACC Tourney

D1 Womens Lacrosse
seacoaster

Re: ACC Tourney

Post by seacoaster »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:22 pm
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 am Watched the UNC-SU game this AM. Very competitive, and some really strange officiating. That three-second call on Syracuse that gave Sconone (sic?) the FPS to put UNC up 7-4 with around 13:00 left was just a bad call. But Syracuse just shot poorly, and the UNC defense pushed Syracuse players out and into poor angles constantly.

UNC is beatable, but their defense is remarkable.
Everyone keeps saying they are beatable....but it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see anyone beating that defense.
Well I for one would like to see one of the best defenses in recent memory go up against the highest scoring offense in women’s lacrosse history (by three goals per game). No 1 D against No 1 O.
Highest scoring offense in women's lacrosse history [HUGE ASTERISK -- PLAYED ONLY AGAINST SIX OTHER TEAMS, THE CALIBER OF WHICH WERE KIND OF SUSPECT AND WHO THEY PLAYED MULTIPLE TIMES, GETTING INCREASING INTELLIGENCE ON THEIR DEFENSES IN THE PROCESS].

Fixed it.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:53 pm
seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 am Watched the UNC-SU game this AM. Very competitive, and some really strange officiating. That three-second call on Syracuse that gave Sconone (sic?) the FPS to put UNC up 7-4 with around 13:00 left was just a bad call. But Syracuse just shot poorly, and the UNC defense pushed Syracuse players out and into poor angles constantly.

Everyone keeps saying they are beatable....but it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see anyone beating that defense.
Well I for one would like to see one of the best defenses in recent memory go up against the highest scoring offense in women’s lacrosse history (by three goals per game). No 1 D against No 1 O.
Highest scoring offense in women's lacrosse history [HUGE ASTERISK -- PLAYED ONLY AGAINST SIX OTHER TEAMS, THE CALIBER OF WHICH WERE KIND OF SUSPECT AND WHO THEY PLAYED MULTIPLE TIMES, GETTING INCREASING INTELLIGENCE ON THEIR DEFENSES IN THE PROCESS].

Fixed it.
Cmon Seacoaster you’re better than that. UNC didn’t accomplish that number even against Mercer 18, Louisville 19, JMU 15, Duke 12/13, High Point 19, Stony Brook 14. You play who you play. Any team in the Big Ten could beat any of the teams listed above.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxallday wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm

Fixed it.
Cmon Seacoaster you’re better than that. UNC didn’t accomplish that number even against Mercer 18, Louisville 19, JMU 15, Duke 12/13, High Point 19, Stony Brook 14. You play who you play. Any team in the Big Ten could beat any of the teams listed above.
Just joking. But the whole year feels asterisky to me. And I think that may say something about UNC.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:13 pm
Laxallday wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm

Fixed it.
Just joking. But the whole year feels asterisky to me. And I think that may say something about UNC.
I kind of agree with you on the whole season. I don’t know if it says anything about UNC and everybody played most teams twice and a bunch three times. Can’t wait to see the real crossover games. I give 5 teams a chance to win with UNC as a favorite.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Fixed it.
LOL I was thinking to myself wow thats emphatic!
DMac

Post by DMac »

2015 possession clock brought to the women's game.
Game changer, then add play on whistles, then add
3v3 on draws. Stats compared to previous stats don't
mean much.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Cuse has to change up their game plan against UNC. They now have been beaten both ways. IMO, they are not playing patient enough to have success against a defense like UNC which almost harrasses you to a slow death. They are rushing shots, making hasty decisions with the ball and overall just not cohesive enough as an offensive unit to beat a team of this caliber. Asa really stepped up, but I'm not sure you can count on a performance like that everytime. The X-Factor could be if Cockerille has a big game or two in the Tournament. They need her to contribute with Carney down...

Joemauer89!
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

NU's mediocre defense means that even against far inferior teams, they spent much less time with a running clock than did 2021 UNC (or any other elite team in recent memory). That's good for at least a couple extra goals per game.
Laxallday wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:06 pm Cmon Seacoaster you’re better than that. UNC didn’t accomplish that number even against Mercer 18, Louisville 19, JMU 15, Duke 12/13, High Point 19, Stony Brook 14. You play who you play. Any team in the Big Ten could beat any of the teams listed above.
"Any team in the Big Ten could beat any of the teams listed above."

......no..
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:50 pm 2015 possession clock brought to the women's game.
Game changer, then add play on whistles, then add
3v3 on draws. Stats compared to previous stats don't
mean much.
That's a great point. Same has to be said for all the records that are being "broken" by players who are doing in 5 and sometimes 6 years what the original record setters did in 4.
njbill

Post by njbill »

You wanna borrow Ford Frick’s asterisk?
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:27 pm You wanna borrow Ford Frick’s asterisk?
I often borrow ol' Frick's asterisk. Me 'n Ford go way back. Man was a true pioneer. The asterisk is alive and well--and relevant--in the world of sports.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

njbill wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:27 pm Ford Frick’s asterisk
Say that five times, fast. 🤣
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Think about it though--how many more dingers would The Sultan have hit if he had 8 more games to play in 1927? It has to be factored in. Same with our sport. One cannot attach the same significance to a player who scored 250 career goals and competed in the ACC or Big 10 with someone from say, oh, I don't know, the America East Conference? Most assuredly not.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 4:29 am Think about it though--how many more dingers would The Sultan have hit if he had 8 more games to play in 1927? It has to be factored in. Same with our sport. One cannot attach the same significance to a player who scored 250 career goals and competed in the ACC or Big 10 with someone from say, oh, I don't know, the America East Conference? Most assuredly not.
The player who holds the record for most points in NCAA history ....was from America East and I dont see that record falling for a 5 or 6 year * player any time soon.

We might as well *** the next few years because the 5th year players are going to be playing through this for a few years.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 am We might as well *** the next few years because the 5th year players are going to be playing through this for a few years.
Fine by me.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

2021 ACC All-Tournament Team
Taylor Moreno, G, North Carolina (MVP)
Katie Hoeg, A, North Carolina
Jamie Ortega, A, North Carolina
Emma Trenchard, D, North Carolina
Caroline Wakefield, D, North Carolina
Kerry Defliese, D, Syracuse
Asa Goldstock, G, Syracuse
Emma Ward, A, Syracuse
Charlotte North, A, Boston College
Belle Smith, M, Boston College
Kasey Choma, M, Notre Dame
Maddie Howe, A, Notre Dame
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Brownlax wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am 2021 ACC All-Tournament Team
Emma Ward, A, Syracuse
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see Wakefield and Defliese get this recognition, as I thought both of them played exceedingly well over the days of the tournament. I'm a little surprised Emma Tyrrell didn't make this team; maybe only allowed two Emmas per team.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

seacoaster wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 am
Emma Ward, A, Syracuse
Thanks for posting this. Nice to see Wakefield and Defliese get this recognition, as I thought both of them played exceedingly well over the days of the tournament. I'm a little surprised Emma Tyrrell didn't make this team; maybe only allowed two Emmas per team.
I'm not 100% positive, but I think the way the All-Tournament team works is this - Winner gets 5 players, 2nd place gets three and 3rd and 4th get two each.

I agree that Wakefield really stepped it up and could have been the MVP with the way she played in the Championship. She was all over the field. She had 5 of UNC's 14 Caused Turnovers on the day. Cuse had 4 as a comparison.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Emma Ward, A, Syracuse
She didn’t have a great championship game . Maybe for that reason.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Emma Ward, A, Syracuse
I was going to say DiFliese was my D star....Wakefield not far behind.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”