Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

BTW - the young man has often taken a verbal beating on this forum so I think it should be pointed out and celebrated that Cole Williams scored his 100th goal for Johns Hopkins. I guess with 102 now - he is tied for 14th all time goals with Mike Morrill - and if Hopkins could somehow pull the upset Thursday and he gets to play another 2 games he could theoretically get into Top 10 all time - Benn and Huntley tied for 9th with 109 goals. There was also a run out for a shot in the game on Saturday where he busted his you know what to win the possession. A 5th year player on a 2-8 team? Could have mailed it in.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

I think the past frustration with Cole is that he doesn't play like that more often when we all know he has it in him. He was spectacular Saturday.

Cole does always seem to show up in the Big Ten tournament though.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

Hoponboard wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:24 am
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 3:05 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:50 pm
pcowlax wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:33 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:21 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:06 pm To answer RURICK's question - everyone was granted an extra year of eligibility for the suspended 2020 season. So if you are a true senior - and minus 2020 this is your third full season - you are eligible to return in 2022. So for Hopkins - everyone but Cole WIlliams is eligible. Looking at your user name I believe Rutgers will lose its entire starting attack. Charambalides has already exercised 3 reshirt years (2 medical redshirts).

I didn't say Marcille was TOO short. I said he IS short. I think everything else being equal - extra height/reach/taking up more of the cage is an advantage. Obviously there have been great goalies that have not been tall. I thought Penn State took alot of low shots and played into one of Marcille's strengths. Rutgers presents a different challenge with all of AC's clever shot placements and Kirst/Sprock bringing high heat etc. etc.

More to say on Thursday later - if Marcille is anywhere above 50% that will go a long way.
Marcille in HS played in a really exaggerated crouch stance. This, more than height, had me worried about his ability to catch up with the high/hard stuff he would see in D1. He seems to have modified that a bit while keeping his explosiveness to the ball. Was impressed to see him catch up to a couple of O'Keefe high lasers yesterday.
Amazingly, now due to COVID, I believe Charambalides actually has eligibility left (correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think I am). I have heard however he will not exercise this which, given this is his 7th yr since enrolling, certainly makes sense.
Yep.

2015 - injured, redshirt (4 years remaining)
2016 - played (3 years remaining)
2017 - injured, redshirt (3 years remaining)
2018 - injured, redshirt (3 years remaining)
2019 - played (2 years remaining)
2020 - played but Covid (2 years remaining)
2021 - playing (1 year remaining)

And you’re correct, he has said this is his last year. But in a one in a million occurrence; he could have been an 8th year senior
If I'm not mistaken, he would be 27 y.o. at the start of next season.
“Christ, seven years of college, down the drain.”

John Belushi
I'm more a fan of Tommy Boy

Tommy: Hey, you know a lot of people go to college for seven years.
Richard: I know. They're called doctors.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:08 am BTW - the young man has often taken a verbal beating on this forum so I think it should be pointed out and celebrated that Cole Williams scored his 100th goal for Johns Hopkins. I guess with 102 now - he is tied for 14th all time goals with Mike Morrill - and if Hopkins could somehow pull the upset Thursday and he gets to play another 2 games he could theoretically get into Top 10 all time - Benn and Huntley tied for 9th with 109 goals. There was also a run out for a shot in the game on Saturday where he busted his you know what to win the possession. A 5th year player on a 2-8 team? Could have mailed it in.
Also just the 15th player in school history with 100+ goals and 50+ assists.

And, from what I've heard, one of the most universally liked and admired players to come through the program in some time.

I hope Thursday is not his last game but if it is, it's been a solid career. jhu06 will tell you he is a worthless POS because some of the teams he was on were not very good but the truth of the matter is if we had more guys like Cole Williams, the team would probably be a lot better.

Playing their best lacrosse of the season right now. Might not be enough to pull off the upset on Thursday but if ever there were a time for one...
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HF16, the team had it's first win in weeks. I'm not going back down the "why our guys have been a disappointment" road we've been on for years when we could wake up in the ncaa tournament a week from now. plenty of time for that later.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Catbird wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 am I think the past frustration with Cole is that he doesn't play like that more often when we all know he has it in him. He was spectacular Saturday.

Rather have that than someone dropping stat lines against MSM and Manhattan then going 0 or 1 for 9 with 1gb and 3tps against UMD
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 am
Playing their best lacrosse of the season right now. Might not be enough to pull off the upset on Thursday but if ever there were a time for one...
If Marcille can save ~55% and Narewsky can win ~60% of the draws, the Jays have a chance.
The postseason is mostly about face-offs and goaltending.
Unlike Penn State though, there's no one guy like OKeefe that you can shut down and curtail their offense.
The Jays will have to play some serious team defense to pull off the upset. Let's hope Rutgers comes in overconfident...
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:05 am
If Marcille can save ~55% and Narewsky can win ~60% of the draws, the Jays have a chance.
Unlike Penn State though, there's no one guy like OKeefe that you can shut down and curtail their offense.
The Jays will have to play some serious team defense to pull off the upset. Let's hope Rutgers comes in overconfident...
This is exactly why the Jays have a shot here. Goaltending appears to have stabilized and they have a face-off tandem with Narewski and Dunn who can hang with anyone.

As for Cole, short of leading the Jays to the NCAA tournament I believe he is symbolic of what has been wrong with the program the last decade. Extremely talented player but has he really developed into what we thought he would be? I don’t remember his IL ranking but it was up there, All American in High School, MVP of the UA AA game. So many predicted he was the second coming of Terry O’Riordan. Too often inconsistent play, too often he hangs onto the ball far too long. When he plays like last weekend I just wonder what prevents him for putting that out every game or more often. It’s not like he’s drawing the top defender game in and game out.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:40 am
This is exactly why the Jays have a shot here. Goaltending appears to have stabilized and they have a face-off tandem with Narewski and Dunn who can hang with anyone.

As for Cole, short of leading the Jays to the NCAA tournament I believe he is symbolic of what has been wrong with the program the last decade. Extremely talented player but has he really developed into what we thought he would be? I don’t remember his IL ranking but it was up there, All American in High School, MVP of the UA AA game. So many predicted he was the second coming of Terry O’Riordan. Too often inconsistent play, too often he hangs onto the ball far too long. When he plays like last weekend I just wonder what prevents him for putting that out every game or more often. It’s not like he’s drawing the top defender game in and game out.
He was never an AA guy and thus if you consider his HS ranking of #6 you’d consider him a disappointment. But look at the 3 names behind him. Joey Manown, William Perry, Brian Willetts. He’s better than Manown was. Perry is an All-American this year but UNC fans were saying similar things about him and some of their other guys as you guys do about Williams before Chris Gray arrived on campus. Willetts...don’t think he ever amounted to much more than a serviceable body. Of course, #10 that year was Michael Sowers but not everyone is Michael Sowers. You look at the Top 20 that year and there’s a lot of Duke guys who wound up being just okay. It was a year with 3 perennial All-American guys (Teat, Bernhardt, Sowers) but then a lot of good players and Williams was at the top end of that group
bananas

Post by bananas »

Williams is a PLL caliber player with his size and skillset.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:55 pm

He was never an AA guy and thus if you consider his HS ranking of #6 you’d consider him a disappointment. But look at the 3 names behind him. Joey Manown, William Perry, Brian Willetts. He’s better than Manown was. Perry is an All-American this year but UNC fans were saying similar things about him and some of their other guys as you guys do about Williams before Chris Gray arrived on campus. Willetts...don’t think he ever amounted to much more than a serviceable body. Of course, #10 that year was Michael Sowers but not everyone is Michael Sowers. You look at the Top 20 that year and there’s a lot of Duke guys who wound up being just okay. It was a year with 3 perennial All-American guys (Teat, Bernhardt, Sowers) but then a lot of good players and Williams was at the top end of that group
You missed Dox in that list but it’s not just me apparently. The guy at LaxWeekly declared that Cole Williams has underperformed in college given his ranking and expectations.
Last edited by flalax22 on Mon May 03, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

bananas wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm Williams is a PLL caliber player with his size and skillset.
They just had a draft last week.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:02 pm

You missed Dox in that list but it’s not just me apparently. The guy at LaxWeekly declared that Cole Williams has underperformed in college given his ranking and expectations.
I’m gonna be honest with you I have no idea who that is
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Catbird wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:09 am I think the past frustration with Cole is that he doesn't play like that more often when we all know he has it in him. He was spectacular Saturday.

Some of that inconsistency is definitely on Williams, but his teammates haven’t always worked hard enough to put Cole in a position to score. Good examples of teammates helping Cole out are the skip pass from DeSimone to Williams that led to a goal Saturday and Peshko with a good pick a couple of weeks ago that allowed Williams to dodge to the middle and score.

When the team doesn’t work in sync with Cole (and again, some of that is on Williams himself), you wind up with Cole dodging and running into a vicious double team.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Never heard of LaxWeekly either.

Williams is a good player. The "expectations" thing is dumb, especially for college athletes. He had nothing to do with his ranking. If he's not the 6th best player in the country, that's not his fault. Objectively speaking, leaving the predictions of IL out of it, he has had a solid, productive career, as evidenced by his inclusion alongside some very good company in the Hopkins history books. And, as noted, he has played particularly well in postseason environments. Some guys are just a little inconsistent. That's the way it is. It's a shame he won't get more time in this system because I think it suits him—he's done a much better job this year getting to high percentage areas and taking good shots. His shooting % is worlds higher than it has ever been. I'm not looking forward to him leaving.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Perry was a 20+ goal, 30+ point guy from the midfield even before Gray got there. He mostly delivered from day one. Williams did better than Willetts & Manown for sure, but the guys above him became stars, and there are a number of attack men behind him in the top 25 and top 50 that became all-time greats; Kraus, Morrill, Tierney, O'Keefe to name a few. This is all to say Cole has been a victim of being a decent player in an absolutely loaded class, which is somewhat out of his control. I thought #6 was too high a rating at the time, and it's borne out to be true. But he's been a solid player when judged on his own merits, and certainly not a "miss" like a lot of other highly touted guys have been over the years.
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Re Cole Williams' performance, just maybe the JHU coaching this year is better than in the past ;) Same re Connor DiSimone's performance.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:25 pm Never heard of LaxWeekly either.

Williams is a good player. The "expectations" thing is dumb, especially for college athletes. He had nothing to do with his ranking. If he's not the 6th best player in the country, that's not his fault. Objectively speaking, leaving the predictions of IL out of it, he has had a solid, productive career, as evidenced by his inclusion alongside some very good company in the Hopkins history books. And, as noted, he has played particularly well in postseason environments. Some guys are just a little inconsistent. That's the way it is. It's a shame he won't get more time in this system because I think it suits him—he's done a much better job this year getting to high percentage areas and taking good shots. His shooting % is worlds higher than it has ever been. I'm not looking forward to him leaving.
Milliman and Grant Jr. emphasize team offense. That’s precisely what Cole Williams needed. He’s big and athletic, but he can’t consistently beat double (or even triple) teams on a regular basis. The Blue Jays’ new motion offense has helped to open things up for Williams (and others).

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Chitown wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:36 pm Re Cole Williams' performance, just maybe the JHU coaching this year is better than in the past ;) Same re Connor DiSimone's performance.
Could you imagine the previous staff saying this?

"When we came together, I think at the end of the first quarter, we said ‘Keep asserting yourself, make mistakes, nobody cares. Just be you, be aggressive."

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tate/57808

Really hoping DeSimone comes back next year, he's been unleashed. Throwing bounce passes, that high bounce shot off the turf from the point (circa Dudley Dixon 1997)... Kid is having fun out there.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

random observer wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Perry was a 20+ goal, 30+ point guy from the midfield even before Gray got there. He mostly delivered from day one. Williams did better than Willetts & Manown for sure, but the guys above him became stars, and there are a number of attack men behind him in the top 25 and top 50 that became all-time greats; Kraus, Morrill, Tierney, O'Keefe to name a few. This is all to say Cole has been a victim of being a decent player in an absolutely loaded class, which is somewhat out of his control. I thought #6 was too high a rating at the time, and it's borne out to be true. But he's been a solid player when judged on his own merits, and certainly not a "miss" like a lot of other highly touted guys have been over the years.
Perry Year 1: 14 G, 4 A, 18 points, 28 GB, 32% shooter, 1.1 PPG
Williams Year 1: 6 G, 4 A, 10 points, 19% shooter, 0.6 PPG

Perry Year 2: 22 G, 9 A, 31 points, 17 GB, 26% shooter, 2.2 PPG
Williams Year 2: 35 G, 14 assists, 49 points, 19 GB 27% shooter, 2.9 PPG

Perry Year 3: 26 G, 6 A, 32 points, 13 GB, 27% shooter, 2.1 PPG
Williams Year 3: 27 G, 19 A, 46 points, 23 GB, 26% shooter, 2.9 PPG

Perry Year 4: 8 G, 4 A, 12 points, 3 GB, 23.5% shooter, 1.7 PPG
Williams Year 4: 11 G, 6 A, 17 points, 14 GB, 25% shooter, 2.8 PPG

Perry Year 5: 25 G, 9 A, 34 points, 10 GB, 41% shooter, 2.8 PPG
Williams Year 5: 22 G, 10 A, 32 points, 10 GB 39% shooter, 2.9 PPG

Obviously Williams has a bump in PPG from being an attackmen compared to Perry as a midfielder; but I think the #'s bear out they were both good players at their positions relative to the country for most of their careers until this year when Perry jumps 14% in sh% from his previous best and 0.6 in PPG from previous career best. Playing on the best offense in the country.

I don't know if I'd call Kraus, Morrill, and especially Tierney "all-time greats." Kraus was elite and Morrill's been very good, but Kraus also played with Matt Moore and Ryan Conrad and Dox Aitken. Morrill played with Ben Reeves for a couple of years. Williams didn't have that talent around him for most of his Hopkins career

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”