Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Peter Brown

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by Peter Brown »

Kerry is weak.

Unimpressive.

Married for money.

Hypocritical.

Phony.

Pedantic.

Inwardly scared.

Jealous of doers.

In other words, a typical lefty.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Progressives (or just, Democrats) are unhappy with the final scene of Snow White where the Prince kisses Snow White to awaken her.

Imagine spending even a second considering a fairy tale’s ending to be problematic. That’s who a Democrat is.

“The new grand finale of Snow White's Enchanted Wish is the moment when the Prince finds Snow White asleep under the Evil Queen's spell and gives her "true love's kiss" to release her from the enchantment. A kiss he gives to her without her consent, while she's asleep, which cannot possibly be true love if only one person knows it's happening.

Haven't we already agreed that consent in early Disney movies is a major issue? That teaching kids that kissing, when it hasn't been established if both parties are willing to engage, is not OK?”

https://www.sfgate.com/disneyland/artic ... 144353.php

What a party of identity lunatics. There is zero chance these loons have intact families: ‘either you’re with me or you’re totally deplorable’.

I truly have no idea how any of you proudly and loudly admit you are a Democrat.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:11 pm"Special Presidential Envoy Kerry agreed to divest the assets identified by the Ethics Office and has done so."
So, FFG...just curious. Have you posted this story as a peon to how it should work in terms of divestment and "doing things the way they should be done" when a member of the .01% decides to take part in government...or was this posted in a more negative way meant to reinforce your comment about Massachusetts?

I know you're far from a T**** person, but can you imagine what might have been had HE gone the route of disclosure and divestment? Of disclosing his taxes?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I think I’ve made my position on trump clear so any comparison back that way would feel like moral relativism to me. Trump didn’t disclose and wouldn’t anything except he’d list his junk size as 18” and include a note from his doctor confirming it except that it’s in his handwriting.

Rather, I never cared for Democrats who would look in everyone else’s pockets while in their official position yet behave otherwise with their own assets. It’s a fact that Kerry was parking his yacht in a neighboring state to save nearly $10mm/year while running for President in 04. Obviously broke kids with limited world experience like AOC are different but there a whole wealthy class of dem politicians throughout my childhood in the 80s and into the 90s (as well as 2000s) that talks about taking your money and redeploying it while doing everything in their own power to not share their own wealth. And that’s not even counting the percentage of wealth donated or given charitably as a citizen in which case Bill Gates blows all those cats away.

I don’t hate Pelosi but she’s the same way. “We have to take your money, but I’m sure as s**t not giving up my nice stuff and will definitely be wearing Bichon shoes and cashmere sweaters on the days I go into the office to see if I can get the Prizer CEO on the phone to extract some cash for me and my pac”

I don’t like any wealthy folks given authority to create a wealth transfer or changes in property rights if those folks aren’t all in, and frankly should be doing it before the law or regulation they want passed as a private citizen.

We all know Biden is more of a corporate Dem and he’s going to drag back plenty from 15-20yrs who into his circle. Let’s just make sure the person standing at the podium talking about some wealth transfer (taxes or whatnot) isn’t wearing $10,000+ of clothing on when they do so.

Say what you want now but the Democratic Party that I knew for two decades had a ton of affluent folks pining to tax you while having their money in Panama and Switzerland (so to speak). We can talk about Iran Contra all day and night but meanwhile Jesse Jackson (non politician but hooked to hip where in prison the politician would’ve had his finger hooked through Jackson’s belt loop) probably was a net negative for the causes he represented or pick your behavior that was allowed.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:07 am I think I’ve made my position on trump clear so any comparison back that way would feel like moral relativism to me. Trump didn’t disclose and wouldn’t anything except he’d list his junk size as 18” and include a note from his doctor confirming it except that it’s in his handwriting.

Rather, I never cared for Democrats who would look in everyone else’s pockets while in their official position yet behave otherwise with their own assets. It’s a fact that Kerry was parking his yacht in a neighboring state to save nearly $10mm/year while running for President in 04. Obviously broke kids with limited world experience like AOC are different but there a whole wealthy class of dem politicians throughout my childhood in the 80s and into the 90s (as well as 2000s) that talks about taking your money and redeploying it while doing everything in their own power to not share their own wealth. And that’s not even counting the percentage of wealth donated or given charitably as a citizen in which case Bill Gates blows all those cats away.

I don’t hate Pelosi but she’s the same way. “We have to take your money, but I’m sure as s**t not giving up my nice stuff and will definitely be wearing Bichon shoes and cashmere sweaters on the days I go into the office to see if I can get the Prizer CEO on the phone to extract some cash for me and my pac”

I don’t like any wealthy folks given authority to create a wealth transfer or changes in property rights if those folks aren’t all in, and frankly should be doing it before the law or regulation they want passed as a private citizen.

We all know Biden is more of a corporate Dem and he’s going to drag back plenty from 15-20yrs who into his circle. Let’s just make sure the person standing at the podium talking about some wealth transfer (taxes or whatnot) isn’t wearing $10,000+ of clothing on when they do so.

Say what you want now but the Democratic Party that I knew for two decades had a ton of affluent folks pining to tax you while having their money in Panama and Switzerland (so to speak). We can talk about Iran Contra all day and night but meanwhile Jesse Jackson (non politician but hooked to hip where in prison the politician would’ve had his finger hooked through Jackson’s belt loop) probably was a net negative for the causes he represented or pick your behavior that was allowed.

This post is eminently sensible, therefore sure to be rejected by Democrats.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Well, Geneva, you did get that "feedback" you didn't want ;) ...I agree with much of what you say about concern about the Dem party elite.

It's just that the choice being offered by the GOP for the past 5 years has been so egregiously disgusting, that until the GOP cleans house, I gotta vote for their opponents.

The "hate the Dems" and "own the libs" crap just doesn't cut it.

And we need to incentivize the GOP to get cleaning.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I voted for Biden hoping for the best but aware I might not love the outcome. This doesn’t mean I’m suddenly for a government takeover of industry or any of the things the further left crowd would like. I’m sticking to me while hoping to continue to evolve myself but not running away from anything into the arms of the other side for warmth and protection. Guess that makes me in good company with a guy I like in George Will.

(Not to suggest you are doing what I stated just there seems to be this binary mentality floating around that if you aren’t 100% in you’re out and it’s the dumbest thing in the world in this context)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:55 am Well, Geneva, you did get that "feedback" you didn't want ;) ...I agree with much of what you say about concern about the Dem party elite.

It's just that the choice being offered by the GOP for the past 5 years has been so egregiously disgusting, that until the GOP cleans house, I gotta vote for their opponents.

The "hate the Dems" and "own the libs" crap just doesn't cut it.

And we need to incentivize the GOP to get cleaning.

Anyone ever wonder why so much of Trump’s biggest support came from self-made businessmen, the same group which despises the Democratic Party? Help MD understand this please.
ggait

Post by ggait »

Anyone ever wonder why so much of Trump’s biggest support came from self-made businessmen, the same group which despises the Democratic Party? Help MD understand this please.
Yup. All the richest self made guys are huge Trumpers -- Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Buffet and on and on.

Understandable, since Trump has such a compelling story of pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.

The stupid is off to a strong start this week.
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:00 pm
Yup. All the richest self made guys are huge Trumpers -- Gates, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Buffet and on and on.

Understandable, since Trump has such a compelling story of pulling himself up by his own bootstraps.

Someone tell Gait that one person = one vote. He listed 4 persons. That’s 4 votes (unless you live in Baltimore, then it’s unlimited).

Compare that to the thousands and thousands of small business owners who like Trump’s policies/hate Democratic policies.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:00 pm

I loathe the the guy and hate what he’s done to our country but while I know about the real estate side to be completely fair he built this ridiculous intangible asset for himself as a brand or identity. It’s the same sort of respect you have to give to Kim Kardashian despite the fact that she’s a horrid c**bucket who took down an impressive RayJay and align with her family basically turned Bruce Jenner our and ruined the careers of any athlete they dated. (Lamar Odom and miles Austin come to mind) But she turned being a hooker into a half billion dollar industry that serves morons and teenage girls.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I should add a brand does not equal a business. There’s no evidence in his brand development and cultivation of business acumen. Im fact we have observed that over time he’s sold it cheap to awful developers from Stamford and New Rochelle to scummy oligarch money in the Stans. He clearly isn’t going to monetize the presidency very well in the long run though he’s raking it in short term.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'm a "self-made businessman", didn't inherit my dough from daddy, didn't marry it either, entrepreneur. Built multiple businesses, bought and sold and financed businesses. Both failure and success...took risk.

That said, I've had a ton of advantages. Two healthy, working, white parents, with some Episcopalian 'blue blood' on mom's side, Catholic father rode athletic opportunity to UVA, banking, then entrepreneurship in real estate, etc. My own top notch education from pre-school through MBA, academic and athletic talents with lots of opportunities to hone them.

And this is America where those advantages all really matter.

Also lucky in love to meet freshman yr, working class gal, public school valedictorian, Harvard MBA, paid her own way thru college and grad school.

so..."self-made" is a bit presumptuous given those inherent advantages in life. The self congratulatory preening of "self-made" is a bit gross.

That said, my wife would be closer to the "self-made" label, though she's acutely aware of her own advantages in America.

I "get" the pocket book appeal of the GOP for those in my economic position. But not the rampant bigotry, the corrupt incompetence, and the rejection of truth and expertise.

Clean that out.

Compete on policies that enable a more just opportunity society.
Stop the "hate Dems" and "own the libs" nonsense.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Mon May 03, 2021 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

So FFG, you see the Dem penchant for tax and spend as a "wealth transfer" and not "paying for our programs".

Seems to me the idea that empowering the middle class through "spending on them" is - in fact - an INVESTEMENT in the nation...the more money common folks have to spend, the better off the higher-ups will be, no? That kinda tacks with the "it takes a village" idea, IMHO. Remember that the social programs Biden seeks to empower will benefit PLENTY of actual 'pub voters...

Dems seem to want to tax and spend while the Pubs want to borrow and spend. How different is all that?

The common thread being "spend".

Would you go so far as to agree with Joebiden that trickle down ('voodoo") economics is actually a Big Lie all it's own?

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm I'm a "self-made businessman", didn't inherit my dough from daddy, didn't marry it either, entrepreneur. Built multiple businesses, bought and sold and financed businesses. Both failure and success...took risk.

That said, I've had a ton of advantages. Two healthy, working, white parents, with some Episcopalian 'blue blood' on mom's side, Catholic father rode athletic opportunity to UVA, banking, then entrepreneurship in real estate, etc. My own top notch education from pre-school through MBA, academic and athletic talents with lots of opportunities to hone them.

And this is America where those advantages all really matter.

Also lucky in love to meet freshman yr, working class gal, public school valedictorian, Harvard MBA, paid her own way thru college and grad school.

so..."self-made" is a bit presumptuous given those inherent advantages in life. The self congratulatory preening of "self-made" is a bit gross.

That said, my wife would be closer to the "self-made" label, though she's acutely aware of her own advantages in America.

I "get" the pocket book appeal of the GOP for those in my economic position. But not the rampant bigotry, the corrupt incompetence, and the rejection of truth and expertise.

Clean that out.

Compete on policies that enable a more just opportunity society.
Stop the "hate Dems" and "own the libs" nonsense.

If you love the Democratic party policies so much, why haven’t you yet donated your net worth to government? Democrats want estate taxes to be 75%. What’s holding you from walking the talk? Just because Buffet and Gates avoid the taxman doesn’t mean you should too. C’mon! :lol:

Also, unless you are in person significantly different than your online persona, there’s zero chance your lack of humility translates into being an effective leader. Just saying.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Boy, that's rich. :roll:
Back to ignoring trolls.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm Boy, that's rich. :roll:
Back to ignoring trolls.
If trollboy is talking to me, i am blissfully unaware, thanks to our nice "ignore" function...

Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:03 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm Boy, that's rich. :roll:
Back to ignoring trolls.
If trollboy is talking to me, i am blissfully unaware, thanks to our nice "ignore" function...

I don’t block anyone. One, I like to know what my enemy is thinking (why I mostly watch MSNBC and CNN). Two, occasionally a person I disagree with says something intriguing, so it expands my brain while simultaneously humanizing the abhorrent left.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

dislaxxic wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:20 pm So FFG, you see the Dem penchant for tax and spend as a "wealth transfer" and not "paying for our programs".

Seems to me the idea that empowering the middle class through "spending on them" is - in fact - an INVESTEMENT in the nation...the more money common folks have to spend, the better off the higher-ups will be, no? That kinda tacks with the "it takes a village" idea, IMHO. Remember that the social programs Biden seeks to empower will benefit PLENTY of actual 'pub voters...

Dems seem to want to tax and spend while the Pubs want to borrow and spend. How different is all that?

The common thread being "spend".

Would you go so far as to agree with Joebiden that trickle down ('voodoo") economics is actually a Big Lie all it's own?

I use wealth transfer in the technical sense, as an economist would, without judgement or in a pejorative sense. That is exactly what it is. Some are good some are not in my view but the world would be better off if we got rid of the weaponization of language and have a transparent discussion about what is proposed to be put into affect.

The problem is you immediately assumed I meant it in some nasty or mean way. But that’s what it is and to have a collective society we have to agree to some wealth transfers but they should be evaluated by citizens in a very transparent manner without the heuristics and gymnastics along with salesmanship.

Now do I think people act or think like me in this regard? Absolutely not. I’ve been more or less run out of the neighborhood organization because I didn’t object to our moving towards becoming a historic neighborhood which gives you a cute street and house sign but explicitly reduces property rights of homeowners as is codified. The org head was pitching it partly (substantially) by pointing to the adjacent neighborhood (Inman Park) who got it around the turn of the prior decade (right before/in/right after financial crisis) and how property values went up to state that the designation “increase property values” but that was specious at best as the other neighborhood was set to skyrocket for a number of other ways (think tipping point plus other variables). I required some debate because while we have CDC doctors and researchers and professors (and Shawn Mullins baby momma) on our block in like $500k-$2mm homes on 1/6-.25ad lots they don’t know about how real estate markets work. I insisted the discussion acknowledge that there’s no basis to expect property values will go up (better than 50/50 IMO but less than 80%) and just a light coverage of the changes in how we can use our proper properties and all of the sudden the org heads who were all in fully pregnant with it plus a very small cohort who think like they do we’re acting like and accusing me of being some vulture who just moved into the neighborhood (5yrs prior) And couldn’t understand that all I wanted is all my neighbors to know what was the coats and benefits and implications of approving this thing. I never even once said I was against it.

So given all this you can see why I’m a lost cause on these political boards. If not the worst around here....
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

You've been reading my posts a long time FFG and so, i'm sorry if it sounded to you like i was in some way attacking your position. Sorry. Was actually asking about how the usage of the term "wealth transfer" DOES in fact get mangled in a political way, and there were times in my yout (h/t Joe Pesci) where my post would've been written in a more flaming kinda way. Didn't think (or mean for) it to be so here.

Would like to circle back to my question to you about trickle down. Your feelings about it? Your feelings about it relative to income inequality? Is income inequality a real "thing"? When j'biden says "pay your fair share", does that get your hackles up? or does it ring true somewhat...the tax rates on upper level income earners have certainly been all over the place in recent decades...

...but at the end of the day, i agree with j'biden that the economy needs to be built up from the bottom/middle UP and THAT's where i feel that MOST of the elements of his very large infrastructure initiative are a good idea. It's an INVESTMENT in America, and i feel the economy in general will benefit YUGE-ly from it...

Return to “POLITICS”