THE 2019 Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: THE Hopkins Lacrosse Fallout Shelter (44, we want more!)

Post by jhu06 »

looks like they found something in weston narewski. absolute dumpster fire of a 6v6, marr/williams/concannon another nothing disaster and picking nothing off the turf.

Epstein is an absolute beast.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Epstein looks like the only Blue Jay ready to play today.

Good comeback by the faceoff crew.

Defense is a complete mess. How can Pat Spenser be left so wide open with no one defending him? :roll:

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i wouldn't worry too much.
the jays return the entire d from last year
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Petro had a prescient quote many years ago when a similarly veteran defense returned ... he said it didn’t matter and that you have start all over again each season.

Marr’s three goals are nice, but he really screwed up the Blue Jays for about 6 or 7 minutes with a turnover and a truly stupid penalty.

There is a serious lack of discipline and smart play on this team.

Blue Jays can definitely win this, but they need to start getting their heads in the game.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Lot of chirping why Hopkins is on tv. That's a ff atmosphere, energy, intensity, deep rivalry, everywhere you look there's current/former aa's/IL top 10 recruits, championship coaches and tradition-and it's mid February.

Up-
-matt narewski-looks like they found something there, what a run by the kid and only a freshman. After loyola put together a championship level effort, he brought hopkins back.
-epstein-another frosh balling out. Needs to demand it more and just rack it.
-man down. Loyola had some 6v4 and couldn't convert.

Down
-Not as much from darby this week
-6v6 a dumpster fire
-foley burned repeatedly.
-we're not drawing penalties
-nothing from forry/williams again a mess.
-concannon not changing levels at point blank
-late first/second quarter again a struggle as teams adjust to the game plan.
-prouty.
-9 turnovers.

whatever
-like cattonis aggressiveness, not getting a lot of run but he's not shying away from the moment.
-hubler came on late. working hard.
-marr put them on man down for a large part of the second half but it woke him up.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

May want to have someone other than Jones on Scanlon
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Been less than impressed by the play in goal from Darby during this game
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
primitiveskills

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm Been less than impressed by the play in goal from Darby during this game
If he can't stop 12-15 yard shots, its a big problem
laxalife

Post by laxalife »

FWIW seems to me we can’t stop an outside shot. Am I missing something?
primitiveskills

Epstein is great at the ride
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Smith’s last minute shot when he should have held it (to have possession to start the 4th quarter) is just exemplary of these boys not having their heads in the game. Second absolutely stupid error from a captain in this game.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
viper

Post by viper »

Outside of a smattering of good things (Narewski and Epstein), this team looks like they are together for the first time. The offense needs to learn to finish, I saw them generate opportunities that went unfinished and their outside shooting is mostly playing catch with Stover in goal. I can't even start about the defense......for two weeks now I see individuals walking though double teams, as if we cannot cover in man???

How long does this go on before it's panic time? They supposedly "get the talent" but seem to have trouble developing it. It seems that this team has not evolved with the sport in recent years.

Unless this changes quickly, it might be best to just clean house and replace the ineffective upper class men with some of these big and fast freshman that they recruited. Might not improve things this year, but getting them experience wouldn't hurt the years ahead.
baltlaxdad1966

Post by baltlaxdad1966 »

My take about Hop finishing in the final four might have been wrong. Hand up my fault.
viper

Post by viper »

When was the last time a Hopkins D gave up 35 goals in 2 games?????
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:34 pm Epstein looks like the only Blue Jay ready to play today.
He is a workaholic and has prepared for this. I would regularly see him at Landon on weekends all by himself working on his craft. Hopefully Petro does not ruin him.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Let me be among the first to say this: Joey Epstein is the best player on the Johns Hopkins lacrosse team.

I couldn’t give a terd that he’s a freshman with just two games under his belt. It’s just a fact.

What that means is that he should at least touch the d*mn ball on each possession. But what do we see instead? On the 3rd and 2nd to last Hopkins possessions, Epstein doesn’t even touch the ball. On the very last possession, he touches the ball and assists on the Blue Jays’ final goal. Seriously??? :roll:

The faceoff crew and offense did their jobs. Petro, Dwan, and the defense had another atrocious game. And two time violations on clears in the second half??? Really :?:

Blue Jays have a week or so to turn this around on defense. Do that and you have a pretty good team that could go far.

Fail, and we could be watching the Blue Jay team that might just finish Petro’s tenure at Hopkins.

I remain optimistic, but this team isn’t helping my blood pressure.

DocBarrister :roll:
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

viper wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 pm Outside of a smattering of good things (Narewski and Epstein), this team looks like they are together for the first time. The offense needs to learn to finish, I saw them generate opportunities that went unfinished and their outside shooting is mostly playing catch with Stover in goal. I can't even start about the defense......for two weeks now I see individuals walking though double teams, as if we cannot cover in man???

How long does this go on before it's panic time? They supposedly "get the talent" but seem to have trouble developing it. It seems that this team has not evolved with the sport in recent years.

Unless this changes quickly, it might be best to just clean house and replace the ineffective upper class men with some of these big and fast freshman that they recruited. Might not improve things this year, but getting them experience wouldn't hurt the years ahead.
Several good points here. It's shocking how overmatched this team is physically. Whether a guy like Zinn is ready for this level mentally (as Quint suggested) is up for debate, but what is not up for debate is how badly our midfield is being dominated at both ends of the field. Our first two opponents have has size and stregnth all over the field, we have size and stregnth all over our bench.

As for getting the talent, the story at the end of the game about John Duffy says it all. We have no room to even consider him as a HS sophomore, so Bill Dwan simply hands him over to his brother at Loyola.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Loyola is probably the best team in the country right now, with one of the best players ever, but that does not excuse the fact that this was another debacle.

Not really much else to say. Epstein is the real deal. Kid is special. And looks like we might have something in Narewski #2. But everything else is, as the kids say, a clusterf%^$.

Another day, another game running out a bunch of munchkins at midfield when Evan Zinn is sitting on the bench. Quint cryptically alluded to something about how maybe he's "not ready for a game of this magnitude." Got news you for, Q, nobody on Hop was ready (with a few exceptions). You have to give the kid a chance. He can't possibly make things worse. It is a crime that Brett Baskin, Alex Concannon, and Taite Cattoni keep having to play defense. That is awful coaching.
ptjhu

Post by ptjhu »

viper wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:55 pm How long does this go on before it's panic time? They supposedly "get the talent" but seem to have trouble developing it...
Well, this has been the trajectory of the program for pretty much the last ten years -- or since there was no Harrison/Rabil/Huntley on the roster. They make it to the Tournament -- and then get drilled at home by Duke, who could have scored 30 goals if John Danowski hadn't called off the dogs early in the 3rd Quarter. And then there was the thumping loss at Brown. And what's changed with the program in all that time? Nothing. So where is the surprise in this?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”