ACC Tourney

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Cletus

Re: ACC Tourney

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm
Cletus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:12 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 am So we've got Cuse v UNC, NU v Md, both starting at noon. C'mon!!
Yep--two blowouts (and maybe 3 if you count UMass) to begin at noon.
You're not a big gambler are you?
4-2 UNC at the half, you've done pretty darn good if you've held this
team to 4 for the first 30. 30 more to go. :?
:lol: I know it. I don't know why I feel compelled to make predictions. Well over half of them are wrong.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You've got to give Gary a lot of credit, he gets absolutely every ounce out of these girls, and they give him absolutely every ounce. To have contained the unbeatable beast that is UNC this deep into the game is highly commendable.
Goldstock playing completely out her mind. Marino makin' it look easy too...tough to get a good shot on this team.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

Not sure why Ward didn't take the FPS there with the man up - not gonna get a better opportunity than that and clock isn't on your side.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Good game. Marino got pretty deep into the Cuse gals' heads, she's awfully good. Asa might have even been better today.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:43 pm You've got to give Gary a lot of credit, he gets absolutely every ounce out of these girls, and they give him absolutely every ounce. To have contained the unbeatable beast that is UNC this deep into the game is highly commendable.
Goldstock playing completely out her mind. Marino makin' it look easy too...tough to get a good shot on this team.
ACC Coach of the year should be GG or AWW.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 12:53 pm
Cletus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:12 am
DMac wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:03 am So we've got Cuse v UNC, NU v Md, both starting at noon. C'mon!!
Yep--two blowouts (and maybe 3 if you count UMass) to begin at noon.
You're not a big gambler are you?
4-2 UNC at the half, you've done pretty darn good if you've held this
team to 4 for the first 30. 30 more to go. :?
Stop the presses!
Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:39 pm I guess for me a 5 goal win is a blow out.
According to the good doctor, I had a 3-Sweep today:

NU 17 UMd 12
NC 9 Syr 4
UMass 18 STJ 7

:lol:
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Watched the UNC-SU game this AM. Very competitive, and some really strange officiating. That three-second call on Syracuse that gave Sconone (sic?) the FPS to put UNC up 7-4 with around 13:00 left was just a bad call. But Syracuse just shot poorly, and the UNC defense pushed Syracuse players out and into poor angles constantly.

UNC is beatable, but their defense is remarkable.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Thank you, I thought the same thing during the game. Did not like the officiating in this game.
I didn't like the charge call on Ward either...and how 'bout that freshman? Cuse scores four and
she's got 2 and 2. I was thinking Gary told her to drive to the cage and try to beat her defender
1v1...had to try something.
Shots: Cuse 22, 9 on goal. UNC 28 shots, 20 on goal. Not a good shooting day for Cuse.
Valiant effort by the Cuse gals nonetheless....and on this day I think #s 51 and 22 make
a big difference.
I'd bet most gamblers who bet on the over-under lost.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 am Watched the UNC-SU game this AM. Very competitive, and some really strange officiating. That three-second call on Syracuse that gave Sconone (sic?) the FPS to put UNC up 7-4 with around 13:00 left was just a bad call. But Syracuse just shot poorly, and the UNC defense pushed Syracuse players out and into poor angles constantly.

Everyone keeps saying they are beatable....but it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see anyone beating that defense.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:55 am
seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:09 am Watched the UNC-SU game this AM. Very competitive, and some really strange officiating. That three-second call on Syracuse that gave Sconone (sic?) the FPS to put UNC up 7-4 with around 13:00 left was just a bad call. But Syracuse just shot poorly, and the UNC defense pushed Syracuse players out and into poor angles constantly.

Everyone keeps saying they are beatable....but it hasn't happened yet. I just don't see anyone beating that defense.
Well, I don't think everyone keeps saying that; in fact, I think the basic sentiment is to the contrary: that if UNC were to not win the NC, it would go down as an upset for the ages (like Man 'o War losing, the Jets beating the Colts, the USA beating the Soviets in 1980). Everyone back from 2020, and you added a national team player, Kerrigan Miller, and Wurzburger, the most highly touted freshman since Cummings? This team is the working embodiment of the phrase "prohibitive favorite." You better win the trophy.

As for the game against Syracuse, and UNC's beatability (new word? Fun!)? I thought the Syracuse defensive effort was off the freaking charts. Be mindful that Syracuse held that juggernaut to 9 -- (1) in perfect weather, (2) at UNC's home field, (3) with what sounded like a good compliment of UNC fans cheering them on, and (4) after an extraordinary and exhausting battle with BC on Friday afternoon and evening.

It was 6-4 about halfway, maybe a little more, through the second half, when the officials called the complete bullsh*t three-second call that put Sconone on the Eight. She ripped it past Asa, and UNC had the three goal cushion they needed. I thought Syracuse shot very poorly, in part for sure a testament to the excellent defense played out in front of Moreno, which pushed Syracuse shooters to poor angles, and made Syracuse shooters far too tentative. UNC is beatable; I don't think they will lose this year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Well said...oh, and don't forget the Giants Super Bowl win over the undefeated Patriots in '07. :D
It's verrrrry tough to go undefeated for an entire season.
Jus' sayin'.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 am Well said...oh, and don't forget the Giants Super Bowl win over the undefeated Patriots in '07. :D
Jus' sayin'.
In the NFL, yes, it’s well nigh impossible. Once since the 1920’s. Women’s lacrosse produces a decent amount of undefeated seasons. Not saying it’s easy, but not like the NFL.

I can’t see anyone beating NC unless NC chokes—which they have been wont to do. My dream season will end with the Wildcats hoisting the hardware after a relatively easy win over NC. But that’s all it is at this point is a dream.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Cletus wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:16 am
DMac wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:49 am Well said...oh, and don't forget the Giants Super Bowl win over the undefeated Patriots in '07. :D
Jus' sayin'.
In the NFL, yes, it’s well nigh impossible. Once since the 1920’s. Women’s lacrosse produces a decent amount of undefeated seasons. Not saying it’s easy, but not like the NFL.

I can’t see anyone beating NC unless NC chokes—which they have been wont to do. My dream season will end with the Wildcats hoisting the hardware after a relatively easy win over NC. But that’s all it is at this point is a dream.
Yeah, that is a dream all right. Like me retiring when I'm 55. I'm 61 now.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

seacoaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:18 am

Well, I don't think everyone keeps saying that; in fact, I think the basic sentiment is to the contrary: that if UNC were to not win the NC, it would go down as an upset for the ages (like Man 'o War losing, the Jets beating the Colts, the USA beating the Soviets in 1980). Everyone back from 2020, and you added a national team player, Kerrigan Miller, and Wurzburger, the most highly touted freshman since Cummings? This team is the working embodiment of the phrase "prohibitive favorite." You better win the trophy.

As for the game against Syracuse, and UNC's beatability (new word? Fun!)? I thought the Syracuse defensive effort was off the freaking charts. Be mindful that Syracuse held that juggernaut to 9 -- (1) in perfect weather, (2) at UNC's home field, (3) with what sounded like a good compliment of UNC fans cheering them on, and (4) after an extraordinary and exhausting battle with BC on Friday afternoon and evening.

It was 6-4 about halfway, maybe a little more, through the second half, when the officials called the complete bullsh*t three-second call that put Sconone on the Eight. She ripped it past Asa, and UNC had the three goal cushion they needed. I thought Syracuse shot very poorly, in part for sure a testament to the excellent defense played out in front of Moreno, which pushed Syracuse shooters to poor angles, and made Syracuse shooters far too tentative. UNC is beatable; I don't think they will lose this year.
Fair enough...yea kudos to Syracuse, Gait did a great job in switching things up for UNC. Def some poor shooting on UNC’s part . I think they played too tight and that didn’t help them . Ortega shoots with usual efficiency that’s 4 more goals and not a close game. Hoeg and Wurtzburger did not play great and that def hurt them. But again I’d say 50% credit to Syr defenders, the other 50% UNC playing tight and a little frantic .
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:57 am

Fair enough...yea kudos to Syracuse, Gait did a great job in switching things up for UNC. Def some poor shooting on UNC’s part . I think they played too tight and that didn’t help them . Ortega shoots with usual efficiency that’s 4 more goals and not a close game. Hoeg and Wurtzburger did not play great and that def hurt them. But again I’d say 50% credit to Syr defenders, the other 50% UNC playing tight and a little frantic .
Yes, don't disagree with any of that.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

BC, NU or SU should hire David Tyree as a temporary coach and put him on the sideline for their game against Carolina. Patriots fans can tell you that the impossible does occasionally become possible against undefeated juggernauts.
Attachments
tyree.jpeg
tyree.jpeg (27.62 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Well I for one would like to see one of the best defenses in recent memory go up against the highest scoring offense in women’s lacrosse history (by three goals per game). No 1 D against No 1 O.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

I'd say most touted recruit since Cortney Fortunato but I'm splitting hairs :lol:
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Can Opener wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 2:21 pm BC, NU or SU should hire David Tyree as a temporary coach and put him on the sideline for their game against Carolina. Patriots fans can tell you that the impossible does occasionally become possible against undefeated juggernauts.
Yep--that was all the Spygate cheating come back to bite 'em right in the instant karma. Couldn't have happened to a nicer organization. What's the old adage? Scratch a liar, find a thief.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:31 pm

I'd say most touted recruit since Cortney Fortunato but I'm splitting hairs :lol:
Damn. Good hairsplit.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”