Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Essexfenwick

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Essexfenwick »

Terp fan here.

Hopkins isn’t too small. This is the best all around UMD team I’ve seen maybe ever. Not fair to compare Hopkins against them this year. Next year will be totally different.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

DMHS

DMHW
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:44 pm I can't believe it took two different coaches and like 16 games before they went "hm...maybe we should give Marcille a shot." Kid must be the worst practice player of all time. He has been LIGHTS OUT today.
Some people thought Marcille was too short to play goalie.
He looked like he was standing pretty tall in there last night.
One player has changed the course of this season and given us hope for the future.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

I have a question. With the covid stuff, do the current seniors have an opportunity to come back and play next year or has that not been determined yet?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:12 am Terp fan here.

Hopkins isn’t too small. This is the best all around UMD team I’ve seen maybe ever. Not fair to compare Hopkins against them this year. Next year will be totally different.
keogh and baskin are both listed at 5'9 srs and have 15 pts combined on the year in 20 games of action. kavanaugh for notre dame has 19 pts in 2 games against a cuse defense that was supposed to be good.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Very happy for the team - they taken some real gut punches late in games and to go up there and dominate the game had to feel good.

63% save percentage in a total win or go home scenario - I wonder when the last time that happened. The save he made on Kelly I think on the doorstep in the first quarter that kept the score at 3-1 was huge. Dixon is right - Marcille does not like to guess and he's very good down low.

Saves by Kirst against Hopkins in the 2 Rutgers games - 27 - Saves by the Hopkisn goalie - 17 - Hopefully Marcille and the defense can keep up their aggression and confidence - they will need it.

You really have to give some credit to the coaching staff - every game over the last 5 has been competitive and culminating in the Maryland game this team could have quit quit and quit. Obviously they did not. And even though they played a very good game - Milliman is telling them they aren't close to what they should do.

Can someone articulate the call against Epstein for warding? He clearly stuck his arm out away from his body but if you look at the replay the glove/arm never tocuhed anything - don't you actually have to engage the defender? If not - learn something new every day.

Great bounce pass by DeSimone

12 ground balls by the close D including Marcille and 2 more by Szuluk - that will do pig

Another key moment in the game - O'Keefe pipes it at 6-4 and Degnon scores on his low angle shot - that's when I sat up and said hmmm - maybe
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:19 pm I don’t know, losing to Michigan wouldn’t be the end of the world.

If it happens, I would then root for going 0-10, winning the B1G AQ, and watching the rest of the lacrosse world scream.

3-10 tourney team. I like the sound of peaking in May and everyone having a whinge.
Quote of mine from February. So it was 2-8 instead of 0-10.

Does NOT matter.

The only thing that matters is Thursday: Rutgers.

Survive and advance. Playing with house money.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 am Very happy for the team - they taken some real gut punches late in games and to go up there and dominate the game had to feel good.

63% save percentage in a total win or go home scenario - I wonder when the last time that happened. The save he made on Kelly I think on the doorstep in the first quarter that kept the score at 3-1 was huge. Dixon is right - Marcille does not like to guess and he's very good down low.

Saves by Kirst against Hopkins in the 2 Rutgers games - 27 - Saves by the Hopkisn goalie - 17 - Hopefully Marcille and the defense can keep up their aggression and confidence - they will need it.

You really have to give some credit to the coaching staff - every game over the last 5 has been competitive and culminating in the Maryland game this team could have quit quit and quit. Obviously they did not. And even though they played a very good game - Milliman is telling them they aren't close to what they should do.

Can someone articulate the call against Epstein for warding? He clearly stuck his arm out away from his body but if you look at the replay the glove/arm never tocuhed anything - don't you actually have to engage the defender? If not - learn something new every day.

Great bounce pass by DeSimone

12 ground balls by the close D including Marcille and 2 more by Szuluk - that will do pig

Another key moment in the game - O'Keefe pipes it at 6-4 and Degnon scores on his low angle shot - that's when I sat up and said hmmm - maybe
Not 63%. 66.6%. One goal was given up on man down by Darby while Marcille was in the penalty box.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Coach Milliman to be enshrined as greatest coach in Johns Hopikins history after PSU win.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:27 am
HopFan16 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 7:44 pm I can't believe it took two different coaches and like 16 games before they went "hm...maybe we should give Marcille a shot." Kid must be the worst practice player of all time. He has been LIGHTS OUT today.
One player has changed the course of this season and given us hope for the future.
I seem to remember this old laxpower poster that proclaimed the "sky's the limit" on Brock Turnbaugh after double digit saves against Navy and Loyola I think - again - over reaction - changed the "course of the season"? - let's not get carried away - the Hopkins goalie played lights out and the team played excellent defense in front of him. But this is a Penn State team that has struggled to score - they averaged what 8 or 8.5 goals against Hopkins prior to last night - Hopkins doubled them up +1 earlier. Beat Rutgers and the winner of the other game before proclaiming the season has changed course.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 am Very happy for the team - they taken some real gut punches late in games and to go up there and dominate the game had to feel good.

Closest I can remember is when Bassett played out of his mind and saved the 2010 team at Loyola to close the season and sneak them into the NCAA tourney (where they were summarily dismissed by Duke within about 10 minutes... but yea).
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

How big was/is QK?
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:16 am
nyjay wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:57 am
Hoponboard wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:13 pm When was the last time Jays had 15 six-on-six goals? Add nine assists to that total.

Both Reindon and Lyne contributed 3GBs and 2CTs. On a day when Jays were only 9-26 (34.62%) at the dot, the 12 saves and 6GBs by Marcille changed the tide of the game.
I know it’s only been two games, but Marcille is an awful lot of fun to watch. Quick hands, active, good outlets, hustle and a ton of positive energy. Seems like an infectious personality. Have to imagine the d loves playing in front of him.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... tate/57808
Marcille came on in Hopkins’ loss to Rutgers and started vs. Maryland in the wake of an injury to Josh Kirson, and Milliman says the sophomore has benefited from a change in the staff’s approach to training goalies about three weeks ago.

“The mechanics we were working on,” he says. “I started making some phone calls, asking for ideas, we came up with things to try, and it’s really resonated with Timmy. … I thought we were a little slow, a little hesitant to start the game. … When we came together, I think at the end of the first quarter, we said ‘Keep asserting yourself, make mistakes, nobody cares. Just be you, be aggressive.’ I think that’s why he’s playing like he is. I don’t even know if it’s confidence, it’s just being assertive. He’s been battling all year. He was far and away our third goalie to start the year, we changed things up, he benefited from that. Now he’s yelling at guys on the clear, in the defense.”
Most impressive thing yesterday was that the Blue Jays won every quarter against Penn State on the Nittany Lions’ home field. Great effort from start to finish.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Drcthru wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:13 am
How big was/is QK?
He’s a body double for Al Pacino
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

How big was/is QK?
Not very ... I met Quint briefly as a student advisor during orientation when I took him to an orientation event (he wasn’t my advisee, but was tagging along with one of my advisees). I recognized his name from the Hopkins News Letter, and remember thinking, “This guy’s pretty short.” And I’m no Paul Bunyan.

Quint is arguably the best Hopkins goalie since Larry Quinn, although he rarely gets the recognition he deserves. More than most goalies, he was pretty active around the net. Frankly, Quint should already be in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

So, size in a goalie is nice, but hardly a requirement for success.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:54 am Can someone articulate the call against Epstein for warding? He clearly stuck his arm out away from his body but if you look at the replay the glove/arm never tocuhed anything - don't you actually have to engage the defender? If not - learn something new every day.
haven't seen the game yet, not sure if i would watch it all. congrats hopkins.
when was it?

as far as the rule, you have to physically move something out of the way or keep it from moving at you apace while free arm not still. my guess without seeing is whatever angle the ref had, that's what he thought he saw. erroneously or not.
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:18 am
How big was/is QK?
He’s a body double for Al Pacino
May not be an unimpeachable source https://www.answers.com/Q/How_tall_is_Quint_Kessenich
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Is assume that’s about the same is the height and weight of guys in the WWF like the undertaker was listed at 7’3” for a while when he played college basketball at like 6’8”
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:23 am
How big was/is QK?
Not very ... I met Quint briefly as a student advisor during orientation when I took him to an orientation event (he wasn’t my advisee, but was tagging along with one of my advisees). I recognized his name from the Hopkins News Letter, and remember thinking, “This guy’s pretty short.” And I’m no Paul Bunyan.

Quint is arguably the best Hopkins goalie since Larry Quinn, although he rarely gets the recognition he deserves. More than most goalies, he was pretty active around the net. Frankly, Quint should already be in the National Lacrosse Hall of Fame.

So, size in a goalie is nice, but hardly a requirement for success.

DocBarrister
Quint is 5"8" or so. And a truly great goalie. Active and aggressive and a great shotstopper. Talked a lot too. Fun guy to watch. Didn't hurt that he was playing behind Petro, Voelker, et al.

Marcille seems a little smaller than Quint, but not a dissimilar play style, though Quint had much more of an edge to his game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:29 am
Ultimately, I still feel like this team is too "small" in physical stature to compete nationally. This will need to be addressed by PM and staff in future classes. I remember watching them against Maryland earlier in the year and seeing some of their offensive players just getting thrown around by Maryland SSDMs. You don't see that happening in a Syracuse Notre Dame match up.
I’m not totally buying this. Let’s look at the SSDMs for instance: Is experience an issue? Yes. Is speed an issue? For a few, yes, but not for all. But size? Martin, Zinn, Lilly, Mabbett, Jaronski, Shure—none of these guys are small.

On the offensive end, getting Degnon, Peshko, and Grimes on the midfield has helped. Epstein and DeSimone are average size for attackmen and obviously Williams is huge. There are still a few small converted attackmen at the midfield, but every team has a couple of those, and I don’t think the issue is so pervasive as to make the team physically incapable of competing. The staff has done a good job making sure not all of the munchkins are on the field at the same time.

Defensively—they’re all pretty big. Delaney isn’t the biggest guy but he makes up for it with athleticism. The rest of the poles are giants.

I really don’t see it as some systemic issue anymore. Two years ago yes but a lot has changed since then. If anything foot speed might be more of a focus moving forward but Martin should help there. If Zinn is going to be an SSDM then it’d be nice to get another offensive middie who can blow by you with speed and get the defense rotating. Angelus has done that in spurts. Maybe Teachout coming next year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”