Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
51percentcorn

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by 51percentcorn »

I'll be watching the game hoping Hopkins wins.

On some of your points I'll think you'll be disappointed:
- this isn't like a 7 game basketball series where you play every other night - Hopkins needs to worry about Hopkins (and I am sure Penn State is thinking the same) so this 3rd time in a season between the 2 coaches is overblown IMO (who cares if Milliman coached against Tambroni with another team?) - as somebody said a great chess match adjustment for Hop will be to not let #3 shoot
- about every player you mentioned in your third bullet will play next year (assuming they are here) so your evaluation as to their options potential is meaningless
- Reinson has started every game - Lyne has started 9 (hurt last week I guess) McManus has started 7 - Szuluk 4 - what mystery is there for you on close D? And what will you put in your notebook if its McManus vs. Szuluk?
- Angelus has been on the 1st midfield since pretty much Day 1 - why are you concerned about his "fate"? Otherwise Lyne will play if he's able - Keogh the same - Zinn will likely continue in his SSDM/transition role - Lilly played against Maryland - the others will likely not play (I assume Marcille starts) again what fate do you think awaits these players - Ned Stark's?
- Given the turmoil that could be unleashed with the extra year - I don't think you'll be able to discern who is out there for the last or next to last or next to next to last time

The only two issues you raise that resonate are
- Epstein - he was 2 for 11 the last time on this field - and it was the start of the little kerfluffle with him. While his assists have gone up I think Hopkins could use a performance befitting all of his talents
- It would certainly help for Narewski to be closer to 12 for 21 rather than 5 for 19 - the reasons Hopkins lost last game in State College? 5-0 on face-offs, 5-2 on saves for the Lions in the 4th quarter - only 6 Penn State turnovers kept the 4th from being another total collapse

Congratulations to Coach Tucker on her first BIG Tournament win last night - they limped home a little bit - looking like terminators in the first half and almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the second leading 10-2 and emerging with the win 11-9 and the refs had a hand in the last 3 minutes. She's a great lady and a great coach - they have played the mighty lady Terps tough twice this year - it would be cool to see them get the program's first win against them.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:28 am I'll be watching the game hoping Hopkins wins.

On some of your points I'll think you'll be disappointed:
- this isn't like a 7 game basketball series where you play every other night - Hopkins needs to worry about Hopkins (and I am sure Penn State is thinking the same) so this 3rd time in a season between the 2 coaches is overblown IMO (who cares if Milliman coached against Tambroni with another team?) - as somebody said a great chess match adjustment for Hop will be to not let #3 shoot
- about every player you mentioned in your third bullet will play next year (assuming they are here) so your evaluation as to their options potential is meaningless
- Reinson has started every game - Lyne has started 9 (hurt last week I guess) McManus has started 7 - Szuluk 4 - what mystery is there for you on close D? And what will you put in your notebook if its McManus vs. Szuluk?
- Angelus has been on the 1st midfield since pretty much Day 1 - why are you concerned about his "fate"? Otherwise Lyne will play if he's able - Keogh the same - Zinn will likely continue in his SSDM/transition role - Lilly played against Maryland - the others will likely not play (I assume Marcille starts) again what fate do you think awaits these players - Ned Stark's?
- Given the turmoil that could be unleashed with the extra year - I don't think you'll be able to discern who is out there for the last or next to last or next to next to last time

The only two issues you raise that resonate are
- Epstein - he was 2 for 11 the last time on this field - and it was the start of the little kerfluffle with him. While his assists have gone up I think Hopkins could use a performance befitting all of his talents
- It would certainly help for Narewski to be closer to 12 for 21 rather than 5 for 19 - the reasons Hopkins lost last game in State College? 5-0 on face-offs, 5-2 on saves for the Lions in the 4th quarter - only 6 Penn State turnovers kept the 4th from being another total collapse

Congratulations to Coach Tucker on her first BIG Tournament win last night - they limped home a little bit - looking like terminators in the first half and almost snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the second leading 10-2 and emerging with the win 11-9 and the refs had a hand in the last 3 minutes. She's a great lady and a great coach - they have played the mighty lady Terps tough twice this year - it would be cool to see them get the program's first win against them.
this is a lot of confidence in a 4-13 core.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

steel_hop wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:04 am
CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:45 pm Okay, reality check. I don’t think at this point that Hopkins has anything to offer that is better than what Georgetown has to offer except possibly a more rigorous science curriculum that most lacrosse players are not interested in, while they attempt to navigate the rigors of D1 lacrosse. Homewood is not NW DC. No basketball. DC nightlife superior to the Block. It’s a difficult task to beat out the likes of most universities in the recruiting arena unless you can promise Nattys. Those days seem gone. Sorry but that’s how I am seeing it now.
Oh, so we are at this point in the page count that we are back to Hopkins location doesn't attract top recruits.

While school matters, what matters most to a majority of recruits are (not necessarily in this order)
- am I going to play
- do I like the coach
- does the system work for my skillset
- is there potential to win championships
- is the program set up to support winning championships (i.e. weight room, etc.)
- does it have my major I want
- can I get a good job after school
- will my parents/friends/family be able to watch me play
- are the girls on campus hot. If not, are there hot girls on nearby college campuses.

Way down the list are things like
- is it close to where the stripers hang out (btw, Baltimore strip clubs blow away DC strip clubs).
- is the night life better (this is college - there is always night life)
- do I need a car to visit said strip clubs

Things that concern parents
- is it safe
- will Johnny be in bed by 11 PM every night
- will I get to watch Johnny play
- will Johnny get a good job so he doesn't come back and live at home for the next decade

In other words, winning cures all ills. If Hopkins was winning, all the stuff we are currently complaining about would disappear.
Agreed except bolded. A friend who was a waiter at Ozio on M St got me a hookup at a few clubs, DC isn’t bad. Or you could go to West Baltimore where the gentlemen’s clubs are a cross between Truck Driver from Old South meets Prop Joe and...DCs density and Uber make needing a car irrelevant. Plus a train system that actually serves the community unlike the city I live in now which probably shouldn’t have bothered with what they even built.

Oh and if a college kid needs a strip club he’s failing in life. Should have a cohort of groupies that serve that function. Even if you have a drag a few out into the light from their dorm rooms that otherwise wouldn’t be under consideration to round out the pool.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

44WeWantMore wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:45 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm A perfect motto for the ‘21 season. “At least we aren’t Cuse”
Always fun to rag on SU, but they beat UVA twice this year, even with locker room drama. Whom have we beaten twice?

Edit: I found a rumor, and learned two things:
- As much as I hate when insiders here play "I got a secret", our posters here conduct themselves admirably.
- If the worst version of the rumor were to be proven correct, my snark above would have badly missed the point.
Yeah based on the stories a little time and space before making cracks is probably appropriate. Seems odd to point to that as a reflection of ones own relative (lack of) success.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 am this is a lot of confidence in a 4-13 core.
Truly, what the f*ck does this even mean

Game notes are up, nothing new that I can tell. This is our first proper BTN game of the season—hopefully Joe B. and Dixon are on the call.

Sun story on Marcille: https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/col ... story.html

Women have won 4 in a row and 6 of their last 7. Only loss in that stretch was by a goal to Maryland. They haven't lost to a non-Maryland team since February. Pretty good year for Tucker and co. after a rough start. But they wear sweatpants around campus so 06 wants to give them the death penalty.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 am
flalax22 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:04 pm A perfect motto for the ‘21 season. “At least we aren’t Cuse”
Always fun to rag on SU, but they beat UVA twice this year, even with locker room drama. Whom have we beaten twice?

- As much as I hate when insiders here play "I got a secret", our posters here conduct themselves admirably.
- If the worst version of the rumor were to be proven correct, my snark above would have badly missed the point.
Yeah based on the stories a little time and space before making cracks is probably appropriate. Seems odd to point to that as a reflection of ones own relative (lack of) success.
pretty sure he posted it when a prevailing initial story (granted, it maybe was a twitter/media guy) to the unconnected masses pointed to a locker room incident.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

TOO SOON?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:43 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 am

pretty sure he posted it when a prevailing initial story (granted, it maybe was a twitter/media guy) to the unconnected masses pointed to a locker room incident.
-It was notable how cuse handled it and I wonder how Hopkins would've done it differently. I would have thought that as a much bigger institution cuse would have a playbook for this kind of issue but they really struggled with it. There were a lot of things that I didn't realize before like how much media coverage there is around the cuse program, how big their student run media is, that their coaches/players talk on camera to media every week. The Hopkins program makes such a big deal of how important and unique the sport is to the school, and how much interest there is and I was impressed w/how much more coverage cuse gets and how forthright desko was when it wasn't related to the scanlan matter.
-there are winning players and losing players. in 01-09 the notes used to talk about how good Petros record was in one goal games and how good certain players were in closing out other teams and this unit has not shown an ability to a)keep a lot of games close enough to get there b)when it does that it can't finish. This guy if memory serves for example scored an enormous amount of clutch goals over the course of his career.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... opher/3189
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Wlax beat Penn State yesterday in the quarterfinals and will play Maryland tonight at 8 PM.

In the two regular season matches, Hopkins lost by one goal each time. One in OT. So, I expect a good game tonight.

Go Lady Jays!
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:31 pm -It was notable how cuse handled it and I wonder how Hopkins would've done it differently. I would have thought that as a much bigger institution cuse would have a playbook for this kind of issue but they really struggled with it. There were a lot of things that I didn't realize before like how much media coverage there is around the cuse program, how big their student run media is, that their coaches/players talk on camera to media every week. The Hopkins program makes such a big deal of how important and unique the sport is to the school, and how much interest there is and I was impressed w/how much more coverage cuse gets
Syracuse has a population of 400K. Baltimore is north of 2M with two big-time pro sports franchises to cover. No mystery as to why Syracuse lax gets more coverage in the local media.

And Hopkins did indeed deal with a similar lacrosse player/co-ed/alleged felony situation, and I'm surprised you've forgotten.

And that story made it to the NYTimes, Sun, WaPo.....
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:58 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:31 pm -It was notable how cuse handled it and I wonder how Hopkins would've done it differently. I would have thought that as a much bigger institution cuse would have a playbook for this kind of issue but they really struggled with it. There were a lot of things that I didn't realize before like how much media coverage there is around the cuse program, how big their student run media is, that their coaches/players talk on camera to media every week. The Hopkins program makes such a big deal of how important and unique the sport is to the school, and how much interest there is and I was impressed w/how much more coverage cuse gets
Syracuse has a population of 400K. Baltimore is north of 2M with two big-time pro sports franchises to cover. No mystery as to why Syracuse lax gets more coverage in the local media.

And Hopkins did indeed deal with a similar lacrosse player/co-ed/alleged felony situation, and I'm surprised you've forgotten.

And that story made it to the NYTimes, Sun, WaPo.....
Syracuse also has a high-ranked Communications program. The Newhouse School of Public Communications has 2,000 undergrads; most of those students are wandering the halls looking for stories.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

They’ll be wandering around looking for jobs too.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Maybe they can inflate the Syracuse page count.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

As a 35 year summer resident of Up-State NY I quickly learned that the City of Syracuse has two major sports which receive continuous coverage from their local media: SU basketball and SU lacrosse.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

FYI. The Virtual Lacrosse Watch Party will be a replay of the 1984 Championship against Syracuse.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:32 pm FYI. The Virtual Lacrosse Watch Party will be a replay of the 1984 Championship against Syracuse.
watching it now-this delaware field is gorgeous, why did they get rid of it?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Marcille starting again

Lyne and Keogh back healthy according to starting lineups
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

And Dixon on the call. Thank God.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

jhu06 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:51 pm
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:32 pm FYI. The Virtual Lacrosse Watch Party will be a replay of the 1984 Championship against Syracuse.
watching it now-this delaware field is gorgeous, why did they get rid of it?
Probably cheaper to have the stuff cows won’t eat.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Baskin has played ahead of Peshko most of the season. Let that sink in.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”