Go romo!
Henpecked

Re: 2021 NCAA Tournament

Post by Henpecked »

xxxxxxx wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:07 pm
10stone5 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:06 pm Lehigh will get a seeding,

easily.
This didn’t age well
Seriously, who the hell has Lehigh beat this year? They should have to win to get in, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. The media has a hard on for Lehigh for some reason. Patriot League should be a one bid league.
a fan

Post by a fan »

gunnerz wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:53 pm
Henpecked wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 pm What “eye test” will Syracuse pass to get an at-large bid?

The team can’t play defense.
They're done. 6-5 after they lose today? No 6-5 team warrants an at-large bid, especially after today's performance.. They're losing 20-6 right now.
They beat UVA twice....that's two wins against a top 5 RPI opponent. Who do you put in their place?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Henpecked wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:36 pm What “eye test” will Syracuse pass to get an at-large bid?

They're done. 6-5 after they lose today? No 6-5 team warrants an at-large bid, especially after today's performance.. They're losing 20-6 right now.
+1 Would never have imagined this before the season but completely agree. They aren’t just 6-5 but have been completely blown out 4 times. When picking at large teams, style points matter. They have better wins than some other teams that may get at larger but they absolutely so not deserve a spot after getting pummeled so many times.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

easily.
This didn’t age well
Definitely No.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Lehigh might well have to win one in the PL tournament to even get in. Tourney championship could still get them a seed depending on how a lot of things play out.

The rest of my seeding as well as inclusion thoughts

Syracuse should be off the seed list for now with the drubbing they took today, but will still get invited to the dance, and might deserve a seed depending on how the various league tourneys play out. The rest of the ACC should be seeded.
Rutgers is likely to get a bid regardless unless they get blown out by whomever they face in the BIG10 semis They need at least a round one win in the BIG, plus not losing to anyone but Maryland in the finals to be considered for a seed .
Georgetown has to beat Nova and whoever they might face in the finals for a chance at a seed. A loss to Nova in the semis might leave them nervous about even getting an invite. Nova probably has to win the BigE tourney to get a bid. A loss in the BigE semis leaves Denver vulnerable to not getting an invite, win the tourney and it looks like they get a seed, runner-up and they still get an invite.
PL winner may well get a seed. I think Loyola has to win it all to even get in. Runnerup in the tournament among Army, Navy and Lehigh is likely to get a bid.
CAA gets screwed again as a one bid league if Drexel and Delaware both make it to the league finals. If either loses earlier the league only deserves one bid
Rest of the leagues are one-bid unseeded invitees.
Last edited by calourie on Sat May 01, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm +1 Would never have imagined this before the season but completely agree. They aren’t just 6-5 but have been completely blown out 4 times. When picking at large teams, style points matter. They have better wins than some other teams that may get at larger but they absolutely so not deserve a spot after getting pummeled so many times.
The Committee has always put an emphasis on tough schedules. What you are saying here is that they're going to reward weaker schedules....unlikely, but possible.

Syracuse had an RPI of 5 coming into this weekend. Hard to picture the NCAA not giving them a bid.

And for the record, I don't like RPI....but I don't care about losses. Anyone can lose a game. Show me teams that can actually beat top teams....that's who I personally think should get bids. But I'm not the NCAA......
calourie

Post by calourie »

pcowlax wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:17 pm

+1 Would never have imagined this before the season but completely agree. They aren’t just 6-5 but have been completely blown out 4 times. When picking at large teams, style points matter. They have better wins than some other teams that may get at larger but they absolutely so not deserve a spot after getting pummeled so many times.
Barring a loss to ROMO, which would put them firmly on the bubble, I think Syracuse gets an invite.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Henpecked wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:11 pm

easily.
This didn’t age well
Seriously, who the hell has Lehigh beat this year? They should have to win to get in, but I have a feeling that won't be the case. The media has a hard on for Lehigh for some reason. Patriot League should be a one bid league.
They get so much love for being average, especially the last few years, and their coach tries to leave every year for the top job that opens.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Henpecked wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:11 pm

easily.
This didn’t age well
I don't think they're all that good but they've beaten every team they've played on the bubble outside of Nova. Bubble is probably Georgetown, Lehigh, Army bubble in; Villanova, Navy, Loyola bubble out. Lehigh beat Army, Navy, and Loyola. And before this weekend hadn't lost. If they lost to Navy or Loyola...would get interesting. But as of now they're in.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Syracuse (if they even get in) and Virginia should meet in round one of the dance, which the committee probably never allow to happen. UVA needs to show that they can be better than Cuse, and Cuse has to show that they are still a tourney worthy team.
calourie

Post by calourie »

As far as At Large bids go I see 4 ACC teams as locks.

As far as the other 4 AL invites go the swami in me says:

1.Syracuse is in with a victory over BobbyMo.
2.Denver and Georgetown can both assure themselves an invite to the dance by reaching the Big East finals. In that case one will be a seeded AQ, and the other will be an unseeded AL.
3.Rutgers gets in with a win over Hopkins. Maryland is in the field no matter what.
4. In the PL Lehigh and Army both get in if they reach the PL finals, again one as an AQ the other as an AL Loyola and Navy's only avenue to the dance is if they win the PL tourney.

Which is all to say I think the ACC gets 5 ALs, Big East 1, Big 10 1, and the PL 1 even if some unexpected bracket intruders crop up

Most likely bracket busters:
Villanova in the Big East
Loyola in the Patriot
Hopkins in the Big10 the way they have played their last two games
BobbyMo if they beat Syracuse, not that they get in the tourney, but that it would put Syracuse precariously on the bubble

My its' a crying shame prognosis:
The CAA being seen as a one bid league as I think both Drexel and Delaware should be judged tournament worthy should they succeed in getting to the CAA finals. Whom would I want them to replace? Any of the teams mentioned that stumble down the stretch, as I think both CAA contenders mentioned are that good. Go BobbyMo!
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

calourie wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:42 am As far as At Large bids go I see 4 ACC teams as locks.

As far as the other 4 AL invites go the swami in me says:

1.Syracuse is in with a victory over BobbyMo.
2.Denver and Georgetown can both assure themselves an invite to the dance by reaching the Big East finals. In that case one will be a seeded AQ, and the other will be an unseeded AL.
3.Rutgers gets in with a win over Hopkins. Maryland is in the field no matter what.
4. In the PL Lehigh and Army both get in if they reach the PL finals, again one as an AQ the other as an AL Loyola and Navy's only avenue to the dance is if they win the PL tourney.

Which is all to say I think the ACC gets 5 ALs, Big East 1, Big 10 1, and the PL 1 even if some unexpected bracket intruders crop up

Most likely bracket busters:
Villanova in the Big East
Loyola in the Patriot
Hopkins in the Big10 the way they have played their last two games
BobbyMo if they beat Syracuse, not that they get in the tourney, but that it would put Syracuse precariously on the bubble

My its' a crying shame prognosis:
The CAA being seen as a one bid league as I think both Drexel and Delaware should be judged tournament worthy should they succeed in getting to the CAA finals. Whom would I want them to replace? Any of the teams mentioned that stumble down the stretch, as I think both CAA contenders mentioned are that good. Go BobbyMo!
Great analysis
calourie

Post by calourie »

Should have included Navy as a likely PL bracket buster to go along with Loyola.

Also suspect Rutgers gets a low seed with a victory over Hopkins. A loss to Hopkins is only a problem if Hopkins wins the Big 10 AQ. Equally problamatical for the Scarlet Knights would be a loss to Michigan in the Big finals were the Wolverines to somehow find a way to beat Maryland.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

While still a lot to shake out here I keep seeing and thinking there’s going to be a few funky rd 1 matchups given the relative strength south (of course IVYs are all NE) and especially w an unseeded Cuse.

From MD down you likely have:

GTown
UMD
UVA
UNC
Duke
Navy possibly

Three of whom are the top seeds I’m quite certain

Out west you have ND and Denver and north of MD weve got

NEC - SJU/BRyant/Hobart/LIU
MAAC - lets go Bonnies but whatever
Rutgers
PL - Lehigh/Army
CAA - Del/Drexel/UMass/Towson

Seems like a seed above 7 may get a interesting matchup give two flights and mileage
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Mark Hart
@fieldystick
Eighth draft bracketology. Notes: 1) UMCP must be #1 or #3 imo; UNC/Duke résumés too similar to split. 2) See seeding note in comment below. 3) SU/DU/RU each clinch tourney bids w/ wins in their Th/Fri games. 4) Navy@Loy on Tues = elim game. 5) CAA = 1 bid. Next update: Friday am

Mark Hart
@fieldystick
·
2h
Replying to
@fieldystick
Seeding note: We're getting to the time of year where I start looking at potential QF matchups. My preferred "straight" seeding is #7 Denver, #8 Rutgers. I feel more comfortable "fudging" on #7/8 than I do on #1/2 to avoid a potential UMCP/RU QF game.

DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Mark Hart
@fieldystick
Eighth draft bracketology. Notes: 1) UMCP must be #1 or #3 imo; UNC/Duke résumés too similar to split. 2) See seeding note in comment below. 3) SU/DU/RU each clinch tourney bids w/ wins in their Th/Fri games. 4) Navy@Loy on Tues = elim game. 5) CAA = 1 bid. Next update: Friday am

Seeding note: We're getting to the time of year where I start looking at potential QF matchups. My preferred "straight" seeding is #7 Denver, #8 Rutgers. I feel more comfortable "fudging" on #7/8 than I do on #1/2 to avoid a potential UMCP/RU QF game.
10:50 AM · May 3, 2021

Last edited by DU-fan on Mon May 03, 2021 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
calourie

Post by calourie »

DU-fan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:00 pm Mark Hart
@fieldystick

Mark Hart
@fieldystick
·
2h
Replying to
@fieldystick

Bubble out teams should be included as potential "bid thieves"as an AQ by any would replace a bubble in. For Rutgers sake lets not even talk about what happens if they lose to Hopkins. In addition a Cuse loss to BobbyMo would leave Syracuse looking awfully bubbly
DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

Mark Hart
@fieldystick
·
2h
A slight update to my eighth draft bracketology post from this morning. First round host information originally sourced from: https://virginia.sportswar.com/mid/1542 ... /lacrosse/ (so take that for what it's worth), but I believe it is true and will proceed until I hear solid info otherwise.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”