ACC Tourney

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: ACC Tourney

Post by DMac »

Yes, thanks and good call. Just about half way through exactly. 14:57 on the game clock, 17th goal, 1:32 mark on the video.
Just a nice shot, not hot doggish, just headsy and called for.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxinforlife wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 pm Can't find the highlight of the between the legs with back to the goal shot that was scored yesterday but it sure was a pretty shot...the right one too. Was either Wurzburger (I used to be a Wurzburger when I lived in Wurzburg, Germany) or Smith. Wurzburger has got as pretty a quick stick in front of the cage as anyone in the game. Very quick, smooth, and accurate.
Anyone got that clip?
https://youtu.be/K1vu3JZY1sg
Thanks to you too lfl, that's the one.
laxinforlife

Post by laxinforlife »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:49 pm
laxinforlife wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:45 pm
DMac wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:51 pm Can't find the highlight of the between the legs with back to the goal shot that was scored yesterday but it sure was a pretty shot...the right one too. Was either Wurzburger (I used to be a Wurzburger when I lived in Wurzburg, Germany) or Smith. Wurzburger has got as pretty a quick stick in front of the cage as anyone in the game. Very quick, smooth, and accurate.
Anyone got that clip?
https://youtu.be/K1vu3JZY1sg
Thanks to you too lfl, that's the one.
You’re most welcome!! I’m a huge fan of CW!! She is not only a great lacrosse player but an even better person!!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

I’m going with Carolina 14-12. Deehan makes 10 saves. Ortega nets 5.

BC wins 17-12. Kayla Treanor draws up a plan to take advantage of the North face guard with better off ball movement. Medjid scores 4 goals. North wins 65% of the DCs.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm My pet peeve. Go the cage, throw a subtle fake, lean one way shoot the other. Just put the ball past the goalie.
Definitely should have had that one.
Its a hard skill to learn, if it doesn't come naturally. Got to hold the ball long enough to do as you described.. Most can't wait that long as they are worried about getting checked
Dr., maybe you've seen this but this is the ticket. Meanwhile, Gary's girls have had many a day when they're ofer on FPSs (blows my mind).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFkDo8Cbpis
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:32 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:46 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:40 pm My pet peeve. Go the cage, throw a subtle fake, lean one way shoot the other. Just put the ball past the goalie.
Definitely should have had that one.
Its a hard skill to learn, if it doesn't come naturally. Got to hold the ball long enough to do as you described.. Most can't wait that long as they are worried about getting checked
Dr., maybe you've seen this but this is the ticket. Meanwhile, Gary's girls have had many a day when they're ofer on FPSs (blows my mind).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFkDo8Cbpis
That is a good general lesson. 8 meter FPS faking is another level. Got to beat 2 or 3 field players crashing on you while coming at the goalie as fast as you can....Anyone who can handle all of that, and, fake/shoot is an extreme level player :D
DMac

Post by DMac »

Question; I see a lot of girls going to the cage on the FPS with their sticks high as if trying to snag stars from the sky.
Are they not allowed to keep that stick tucked next to their ear and protect it more because of that halo? They have to give the D equal opportunity to get at that stick without going into the halo?
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 am Question; I see a lot of girls going to the cage on the FPS with their sticks high as if trying to snag stars from the sky.
Are they not allowed to keep that stick tucked next to their ear and protect it more because of that halo? They have to give the D equal opportunity to get at that stick without going into the halo?
Good question(s). Cradling in front of the head/face is an illegal cradle (if it prohibits the D from making a legal check). This is hard to call in the field, but is alot more evident on the FPS. That said, it rarely gets called.

There is no limitation to keeping the crosse in the sphere around the head, but it may limit your shot options (see below)

I think the reason that many hold it high is that some are taught to do that because it allows more shot flexibility with a wrist movement. Both right and left shots are easier from a central high position. That makes it harder for the keeper to know where it's headed. It doesnt allow for as good faking (per the GOAT's video) though as you really have to move the stick alot to change levels.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ah, thank you, so that does come into play. Have wondered about that for a long time as these gals do so many things that are contradictory to my mlax mentality/experience. I get what you're saying about the wrists/angles/direction.
glaxer24

Post by glaxer24 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 am Question; I see a lot of girls going to the cage on the FPS with their sticks high as if trying to snag stars from the sky.
Good question(s). Cradling in front of the head/face is an illegal cradle (if it prohibits the D from making a legal check). This is hard to call in the field, but is alot more evident on the FPS. That said, it rarely gets called.

There is no limitation to keeping the crosse in the sphere around the head, but it may limit your shot options (see below)

I think the reason that many hold it high is that some are taught to do that because it allows more shot flexibility with a wrist movement. Both right and left shots are easier from a central high position. That makes it harder for the keeper to know where it's headed. It doesnt allow for as good faking (per the GOAT's video) though as you really have to move the stick alot to change levels.
Yeah, can't say I've ever seen it get called... imo it's just using your stick to your advantage (ex. one handed cradling, putting your stick out in front of you and running, etc)
richard

Post by richard »

One on one with the goalie, I was taught to show the goalie the ball and the goalie will commit. If you show the ball from a shooting position that gives you options as to more spots to shoot to then he goalie is toast. I would always show the ball from the ear but not tucked too tight.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am

Agree with all those points Dr! Plus, keeping the stick in front of you and shooting from the top of your head/directly in front of your body also means defenders sticks coming in from either side have a longer distance to go if they hope to block the shot. Shooting from that position may make it harder to fake, but it still allows for placement, which is more important than power if the shooter decides to run the ball in on the free position. Shooting from one side of the body or the other in such a tight space leaves you more prone to easy stick checks or defenders getting a stick on the shot (that is of course, unless you're shooting from the 8-meter and not carrying the ball in).

I've only ever seen illegal cradles called if they are egregious and obvious, with the crosse and ball being so close to the players face they are practically touching. There are plenty of legal ways to cradle the ball where it is impossible for the defender to check you legally!
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Holy crap, these Carolina girls play faster than bunnies on methamphetamines. Ball movement and convergence on ground balls is remarkable. Well on their way to a running clock, which I suppose will be good for getting the BC/Cuse game started on time.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Heels are so dominating you feel sorry for the Irish lassies.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm Heels are so dominating you feel sorry for the Irish lassies.
Carolina is telling them no nay never, no, nay never no more.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Can Opener wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:03 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:56 pm Heels are so dominating you feel sorry for the Irish lassies.
Carolina is telling them no nay never, no, nay never no more.
Thought this would happen. Sending everyone a message.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:49 pm Agree with all those points Dr! Plus, keeping the stick in front of you and shooting from the top of your head/directly in front of your body also means defenders sticks coming in from either side have a longer distance to go if they hope to block the shot. Shooting from that position may make it harder to fake, but it still allows for placement, which is more important than power if the shooter decides to run the ball in on the free position. Shooting from one side of the body or the other in such a tight space leaves you more prone to easy stick checks or defenders getting a stick on the shot (that is of course, unless you're shooting from the 8-meter and not carrying the ball in).
Agree with all above. You said it more clearly :)
fergie25

Post by fergie25 »

this is a bloodbath. Get Deehan out of there. Not her fault, but she shouldn't have to take this beating
DMac

Post by DMac »

This team reminds me a bit of the Gait era teams at Cuse (throw in Marechek), just so good and deep you sometimes felt sorry for the opponent....21-9 over Loyola for the title in '90, and you know you don't make it to Memorial Day unless you're pretty darn good.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

So I'm wondering if UNC became a little bored in their last couple of games given their complete domination and played down to the competition. It's like they have literally flipped the switch and are firing on all cylinders - like a cat playing with it's prey.

Shout out to CW, she has really stepped up in the last 4 or 5 games and is literally a different player...playing with complete confidence now and going to cage with conviction and looking for the ball and her teammates are looking to get it to her.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”