Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
ggait

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by ggait »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 am Progs keep losing house seats. New census realignment should tell you what you need to know.

Both Texas and Florida picking up seats. New York losing.

Watch the house in 2022. Will be a blowout. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy come on down!!!
Troll boy don't know shirt about fork.

The population growth is coming mostly from blue demos -- younger, browner, urban/suburban. No one is getting more seats because of a surge in old white rural no college guys.

The lost seat in NYS will come from a GOP incumbent. Same for IL. Same for WV. OH and MI will off D incumbents. Hard to say who will lose the seats in CA and PA.

New CO seat will be D. New TX seats will be 1D and 1R. New OR seat surprisingly may wind up R. The new MT seat surprisingly will be competitive for the Ds. New FL seat probably goes R. NC is TBD.

So net/net is wash-ey for the House in the short term.

Long term it is bad for the current GOP. All those growing south/west states are trending bluer -- NC, GA, TX, AZ all seem to be going along the VA/CO path. When TX becomes a true swing state it is the GOP apocalypse. Although you could see the Rust Belt trend to red as it continues to shrink and age.

GOP power increasingly hinges on minority rule tools -- gerrymandering, voter suppression, state house majorities. But those only can last for so long...
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am
Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:26 am Progs keep losing house seats. New census realignment should tell you what you need to know.

Watch the house in 2022. Will be a blowout. House Speaker Kevin McCarthy come on down!!!

The population growth is coming mostly from blue demos -- younger, browner, urban/suburban. No one is getting more seats because of a surge in old white rural no college guys.

The lost seat in NYS will come from a GOP incumbent. Same for IL. Same for WV. OH and MI will off D incumbents. Hard to say who will lose the seats in CA and PA.

New CO seat will be D. New TX seats will be 1D and 1R. New OR seat surprisingly may wind up R. The new MT seat surprisingly will be competitive for the Ds. New FL seat probably goes R. NC is TBD.

Long term it is bad for the current GOP. All those growing south/west states are trending bluer -- NC, GA, TX, AZ all seem to be going along the VA/CO path. When TX becomes a true swing state it is the GOP apocalypse. Although you could see the Rust Belt trend to red as it continues to shrink and age.

GOP power increasingly hinges on minority rule tools -- gerrymandering, voter suppression, state house majorities. But those only can last for so long...

I’m so old I remember when Democrats were giddy that that ‘Florida is turning blue’ :lol:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... 0-strategy

What gait fails to grasp (not a huge surprise) is the people moving to red states are attracted to low taxation, personal freedoms, business climate, and hospitable culture. In other words, Republicans.
ggait

Post by ggait »

What troll boy fails to grasp is...reality. Boycott stupid.

The drift of congressional seats and electoral votes to the south and west has been going on for 80 years. Seems to be working fine for the Dems these days. Since the population growers (blacks, Latinos, youngsters, urbans, college grads and California flee-ers) generally vote blue.

CO and VA aren't even swing states anymore. Red states like NC, GA and AZ are now swingers. And TX is getting bluer. Rep margin in the presidential race was 12% in 2012; 9% in 2016; 6% in 2020. TX is getting two more seats because of growing Dem demographics, not more Republicans.

Other than FL, the south and west are trending blue. The future of the GOP is more likely in places like OH. While shrinking, it has gone from the #1 swing state to solid red as it gets older and whiter.

If you were winning the game on head count, you'd be doing everything possible to make voting easier and get as many people to the polls as possible....
Boycott stupid. If you ignore the gator troll, eventually he'll just go back under his bridge.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:42 am

So what person has come forward and declared the system was so hard they simply could not vote? This voter supression bullchit is nothing more than this. If the FLP Democrats can whine and b***h about it long enough stupid people will begin to believe them. That is what Democrats always count on.. stupid people that will believe any horsechit they put out there. If you say it is too hard for people to vote then they might as well stay home and cry in their cornflakes about it. How odd is it that for today's Democrats to win they have to tell the average American that voting is just too damn complicated for them to figure out.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

If you were winning the head count contest, you’d want the census count to keep going longer rather than shorter, right?

We will get the detailed census data in September, but it looks like there was a meaningful undercount. Maybe partly due to COVID. But also due to magas messing with census.

Gerrymandering, vote suppression, us senate, filibuster, scotus, messing with the census. All the things you go to to retain power when you are losing the contest for head count.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:13 pm What troll boy fails to grasp is...reality. Boycott stupid.

The drift of congressional seats and electoral votes to the south and west has been going on for 80 years. Seems to be working fine for the Dems these days. Since the population growers (blacks, Latinos, youngsters, urbans, college grads and California flee-ers) generally vote blue.

CO and VA aren't even swing states anymore. Red states like NC, GA and AZ are now swingers. And TX is getting bluer. Rep margin in the presidential race was 12% in 2012; 9% in 2016; 6% in 2020. TX is getting two more seats because of growing Dem demographics, not more Republicans.

Other than FL, the south and west are trending blue. The future of the GOP is more likely in places like OH. While shrinking, it has gone from the #1 swing state to solid red as it gets older and whiter.

If you were winning the game on head count, you'd be doing everything possible to make voting easier and get as many people to the polls as possible....
This is generally right though Va/co are different paths to getting there. VA has always been culturally split between DC area NOVA and Va basically Richmond south, less from net migration of the more conservative part of state. CO seems to have just migrated over time.

The argument that folks move south and change their stripes is specious at best, absolutely idiotic is within the greatest area of the curve on a chart.

What I would suggest is the hardcore, $10 coffee and avocado crowd who likes to pretend they understand why wine is priced the way it is while discussing the most recent New Yorker story and presenting a intellectual fairy tale aren’t moving to the south. It’s white collar, moderate republican and Biden/clinton type Democrat’s so the shift will be more modest and incremental than I think some believe. It’s a 10-20yr game
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:12 pm
ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:13 pm What troll boy fails to grasp is...reality. Boycott stupid.

This is generally right though Va/co are different paths to getting there. VA has always been culturally split between DC area NOVA and Va basically Richmond south, less from net migration of the more conservative part of state. CO seems to have just migrated over time.

The argument that folks move south and change their stripes is specious at best, absolutely idiotic is within the greatest area of the curve on a chart.

What I would suggest is the hardcore, $10 coffee and avocado crowd who likes to pretend they understand why wine is priced the way it is while discussing the most recent New Yorker story and presenting a intellectual fairy tale aren’t moving to the south. It’s white collar, moderate republican and Biden/clinton type Democrat’s so the shift will be more modest and incremental than I think some believe. It’s a 10-20yr game

Fairly sure I heard Democrats squealing like fangirls that Florida was turning blue.

Florida is now probably the most reliable red state in America. Thanks to northern tax-happy governors.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:58 pm If you were winning the head count contest, you’d want the census count to keep going longer rather than shorter, right?

We will get the detailed census data in September, but it looks like there was a meaningful undercount. Maybe partly due to COVID. But also due to magas messing with census.

Gerrymandering, vote suppression, us senate, filibuster, scotus, messing with the census. All the things you go to to retain power when you are losing the contest for head count.
I guess here in NYS we lost a seat or 2 in congress. The Dems run the show here. The consensus is they will do some gerrymandering of their own to keep upstate NY from having any effective representation in the state ever. It all depends how the Dems decide the best way to stick it to the Republicans in this state. They really don't have to do very much. The Republicans went running away with their tails between their a couple of years ago.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
ggait

Post by ggait »

I guess here in NYS we lost a seat or 2 in congress. The Dems run the show here.
The impact can be different between the Electoral College (winner take all) and Congress (proportional by district).

Blue team actually wins at the district level in NYS and IL, since the eliminated seat will be red. Blue team loses, though, at the EC level. Exact opposite in red state Ohio. Red team wins at the district level by losing a Dem seat; but red team loses in the EC.

Red team loses at both levels in WV. Blue team wins at both levels in CO. TX is a wash at the district level (both teams will pick up one seat); TX red team wins (short term) in the EC; TX blue team wins (longer term) in the EC.

But the larger trend is that it is the Sun Belt cities and suburbs are growing -- which is blue, indy and non-MAGA red. White rural areas shrinking. I personally like Cracker Barrel more than Whole Foods, but I can clearly see that out here in the Sun Belt, WF is winning over CB.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

ggait wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:58 pm
I guess here in NYS we lost a seat or 2 in congress. The Dems run the show here.
The impact can be different between the Electoral College (winner take all) and Congress (proportional by district).

Blue team actually wins at the district level in NYS and IL, since the eliminated seat will be red. Blue team loses, though, at the EC level. Exact opposite in red state Ohio. Red team wins at the district level by losing a Dem seat; but red team loses in the EC.

Red team loses at both levels in WV. Blue team wins at both levels in CO. TX is a wash at the district level (both teams will pick up one seat); TX red team wins (short term) in the EC; TX blue team wins (longer term) in the EC.

But the larger trend is that it is the Sun Belt cities and suburbs are growing -- which is blue, indy and non-MAGA red. White rural areas shrinking. I personally like Cracker Barrel more than Whole Foods, but I can clearly see that out here in the Sun Belt, WF is winning over CB.

:lol:

Talking your book is a phrase used to describe what portfolio managers are doing when they discuss their portfolio holdings. It is generally assumed that this discussion is to create interest (and buyers) of these securities. This will ultimately benefit the price of the security and the manager's portfolio.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:32 pm

Fairly sure I heard Democrats squealing like fangirls that Florida was turning blue.

Florida is now probably the most reliable red state in America. Thanks to northern tax-happy governors.
What about 10-20yr game wasn’t clear?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

What about 10-20yr game wasn’t clear? Did I actually reference FL? Now or then? Other than to discuss scratch and dent trailer trash that Jeff Epstein and Matt Gaetz we’re developing into mental health case studies?
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:28 pm [quote="Peter Brown" post_id=253934 time=<a href="tel:1619724775">1619724775</a> user_id=1372]
[quote=Farfromgeneva post_id=253912 time=<a href="tel:1619723552">1619723552</a> user_id=1206]
[quote=ggait post_id=253854 time=<a href="tel:1619716424">1619716424</a> user_id=487]
What troll boy fails to grasp is...reality. Boycott stupid.

[/quote]

[/quote]

What about 10-20yr game wasn’t clear? Did I actually reference FL? Now or then? Other than to discuss scratch and dent trailer trash that Jeff Epstein and Matt Gaetz we’re developing into mental health case studies?
[/quote]
10/20 year game. I live in nj vote dem locally and mostly republican nationally. Keep the salt tax make my leaders balance an effing budget. I would benefit in the short term if salt is removed, but the long term ramifications of NJ Tax spend and borrow thinking ..and we give more than we get is effing ridiculous.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:27 pm

What about 10-20yr game wasn’t clear?

Eventually we all die, and I assure you I won’t be on Fanlax in 20 years. Meanwhile, Democrats should save their capitalist money and never show up in Florida again. It’s gone for them. Even Miami has gone red. The only blue city left here is dreadful Tallahassee which no one including residents like.

2022 will be a massive bust for Dems. Watch. By the way, keep defunding police; it’s really working great! :lol:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:37 pm

Talking your book is a phrase used to describe what portfolio managers are doing when they discuss their portfolio holdings. It is generally assumed that this discussion is to create interest (and buyers) of these securities. This will ultimately benefit the price of the security and the manager's portfolio.
"Talking your book is a phrase used to describe what portfolio managers are doing when they discuss their portfolio holdings."

https://abnormalreturns.com/2010/02/18/ ... everybody/

Talking your book was a term, back in the day, that applied to traders, long before there were mutual funds....but since you stole someone's definition, I'll take it up with the originator. :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:57 am

"Talking your book is a phrase used to describe what portfolio managers are doing when they discuss their portfolio holdings."

Talking your book was a term, back in the day, that applied to traders, long before there were mutual funds....but since you stole someone's definition, I'll take it up with the originator. :roll:

If you were a proper lib, you’d report me to the Administrator and complain that I’m being anti-trans because, well, just because. Stifle debate!!!!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

For anyone interested in free speech and how libs get it wrong (in essence, deferring all power to the state), this is just a phenomenal article written by Ken White:

https://www.popehat.com/2012/09/19/thre ... re-enough/

Discusses numerous free speech cases, and of course Holmes.

You will learn a ton about ‘yelling fire in a crowded theater’, and why you’ve never understood the history of that phrase and why Holmes regretted saying it.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am

If you were a proper lib, you’d report me to the Administrator and complain that I’m being anti-trans because, well, just because. Stifle debate!!!!
Good news, I'm not a proper anyting.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

foreverlax wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:34 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:26 am

Good news, I'm not a proper anyting.

Most FLP aren’t.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Hoping to not incite certain feedback, this is the sort of thing that had me skeptical of democratic approaches that look in others pockets. This was the candidate after a pretty sad Al Gore run for the Dems. Also should note back then he parked his yacht in another state to save something like $9mm in taxes while talking up the proletariat game. Kennedy and guys like this are why most of the rest of the country pigeonholes Massachusetts as a parochial and miserable state.

John Kerry discloses millions in income from finance, energy firms
Lachlan Markay
Lachlan Markay
John Kerry
Photo: Anna Moneymaker-Pool/Getty Images
John Kerry disclosed millions in income and a massive stock portfolio that he's liquidated since taking office as President Biden’s special climate envoy, according to a financial filing obtained by Axios on Friday.

Why it matters: Kerry is among the wealthiest members of the Biden administration. He maintains significant influence over U.S. energy and environmental policy as Biden's climate envoy, a role that comes after he advised a number of firms in the space following his time as secretary of State.

The State Department, where Kerry officially works again, says he has divested assets that could pose a conflict of interest, and signed an ethics pledge barring him from participating in specific policymaking decisions that could affect his former clients and employers.
The big picture: Kerry received millions of dollars in salary, consulting fees and honoraria, according to the filing, which covers 2020 and most of January 2021.

He drew a $5 million salary from Bank of America. He was tapped as chairman of the bank's global advisory council months after his tenure as Barack Obama's second secretary of State.
He landed $382,400 in speaking fees from entities including Deutsche Bank, Waste Management and Cornell University.
Kerry also reported compensation "in excess of $5,000" for more than a dozen other speeches in 2019, including ones to Barclays, Zurich Insurance and the foundation run by Ukrainian oligarch Victor Pinchuk.
Kerry also reported receiving $125,000 in consulting fees from The Rise Fund, an investment firm with a significant renewable energy portfolio, just one of the entities in the energy and environment space to which he reported business ties.

Kerry was the advisory board chairman for Climate Finance Partners, which "creates innovative and globally needed finance solutions that address climate change."
He was also the president of the Vietnam Sustainable Energy Corporation.
In addition, Kerry reported receiving more than $5,000 in compensation as an advisor to the New York-based investment firm Ripplewood, which specializes in leveraged buyouts. The firm is run by his friend Tim Collins.
Kerry's huge stock portfolio was largely held through a trust affiliated with his wife Teresa Heinz Kerry, heiress to the Heinz food processing fortune.

He reported liquidating between $4.2 million and $15 million in stock holdings last month.
Federal ethics rules could permit Kerry to defer capital gains taxes on those sales by reinvesting the money in "permitted" assets such as treasury bonds or exchange-traded funds. It was not immediately clear whether Kerry had done so or planned to.
What they're saying: "The State Department's Ethics Office reviewed Special Presidential Envoy Kerry's assets and investments upon his appointment to identify holdings that could pose a significant risk of a conflict of interest," a State Department spokesperson told Axios.

"Special Presidential Envoy Kerry agreed to divest the assets identified by the Ethics Office and has done so."

Return to “POLITICS”