NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
ah23

Re: NESCAC 2020

Post by ah23 »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I assumed the original commenter was being sarcastic.
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

JumboFan4 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 pm
Maggsedge wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:38 pm Jumbos face a “real” defense and don’t score 30 goals!? North hype back to where it was in 2016. Can’t wait until they play a south team. Good luck, looking forward to it
Right back at you. The slow paced, pass the ball around and wait until 10 seconds on the shot clock to shoot, strategy didn’t work so well for Dartmouth today. All good, another comfy victory over here.
Was that Dartmouth's strategy or a function of them being Freshmen and playing in their first Collegiate game/scrimmage after something like 5 days of practice?
11 out of Dartmouth's 15 points (7goals, 4 assists) were scored by someone who has never played in a Collegiate game, or scrimmage for that matter. One of the assists was from a backup GOALIE playing middie.

On the other end. 2/3 Defensemen were Freshmen, none of the Dmids had any meaningful game experience and I don't believe any of the 3 LSM's on the roster are currently enrolled. One of D's FOGO's was playing LSM at one point.

Hincks is the real deal and the only reason this game stayed within reason.

Tufts is an exceptional team, however, I would caution you against drawing any conclusions from this particular result.
JumboFan4

Post by JumboFan4 »

NEWestFan wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 pm [quote=JumboFan4 post_id=252449 time=<a href="tel:1619403230">1619403230</a> user_id=1192]
[quote=Maggsedge post_id=252442 time=<a href="tel:1619401115">1619401115</a> user_id=2263]
Jumbos face a “real” defense and don’t score 30 goals!? North hype back to where it was in 2016. Can’t wait until they play a south team. Good luck, looking forward to it
Right back at you. The slow paced, pass the ball around and wait until 10 seconds on the shot clock to shoot, strategy didn’t work so well for Dartmouth today. All good, another comfy victory over here.
[/quote]

Was that Dartmouth's strategy or a function of them being Freshmen and playing in their first Collegiate game/scrimmage after something like 5 days of practice?
11 out of Dartmouth's 15 points (7goals, 4 assists) were scored by someone who has never played in a Collegiate game, or scrimmage for that matter. One of the assists was from a backup GOALIE playing middie.

On the other end. 2/3 Defensemen were Freshmen, none of the Dmids had any meaningful game experience and I don't believe any of the 3 LSM's on the roster are currently enrolled. One of D's FOGO's was playing LSM at one point.

Tufts is an exceptional team, however, I would caution you against drawing any conclusions from this particular result.
[/quote]
Honestly, I was really impressed with Dartmouth. They were well coached and clearly have a lot of young talent on the roster. I think the fact that Tufts’ margin of victory wasn’t larger is a testament to that. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to minimize Dartmouth, I was just responding to that possibly sarcastic poster.
I drive a Dodge Stratus.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Honestly, I was really impressed with Dartmouth. They were well coached and clearly have a lot of young talent on the roster. I think the fact that Tufts’ margin of victory wasn’t larger is a testament to that. Sorry, I wasn’t trying to minimize Dartmouth, I was just responding to that possibly sarcastic poster.
I've seen a lot of both Dartmouth and Tufts over the last few years. I would agree with this post. Dartmouth played a VERY good seasoned team that loves to run and attack at all times with limited numbers and even less experience. To hold Tufts to 15 is something to be proud of. And for Tufts to get another game against a quality opponent will only help down the road.

I say congrats to both programs for making this work and more importantly congrats to the young men that had the opportunity to compete.
You could have ended this quote with "Hincks is the real deal."
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

A south team? I’m assuming the poster means Salisbury. No one team in D3 will compete with the Jumbos.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 am No one team in D3 will compete with the Jumbos.
Do your parents know that you are using the computer before school?
SouthernLaxGenius

Post by SouthernLaxGenius »

Tufts does look on "another level" (again) this year and with the NESCAC being "down" this year, there may not be any repeats of 2018 or 2019 before championship weekend.

I think there are a few teams in the south that can "challenge" and (possibly) have it look like 2016 again.

The question is, is there anyone in the North other than RIT with a chance?
ah23

Post by ah23 »

I think it's fair to say that the NESCAC as a whole is down this year. Usually there are multiple legit title contenders; this year there is one. Williams/Wesleyan/Amherst would be the most likely threats; Amherst isn't playing and we've already seen what Tufts did to Wes. It's not surprising that Tufts is alone at the top; it's the size of the gap that is really astonishing. In 2019, Tufts had close/competitive games with Colby (W 13-11), Williams (W 15-14, W 17-16 OT), Wesleyan (L 10-9), Amherst (W 15-14, L 13-11), Bates (W 19-14), Bowdoin (W 13-7, close through 3), and Midd (W 14-13 OT). In six NESCAC games since ('20-'21), Tufts' average margin of victory is fifteen goals. That includes a ten goal win over then-#2 Amherst last year and a sixteen goal win over Wesleyan this year. The only single digit margin was Conn College this year, which was the Saturday tuneup for Wes-Tufts the next day.

With the NESCAC not a postseason threat to Tufts (assuming they win the conference title), I don't think there is a single team in the North outside of RIT that is even close to Tufts. I don't even know who to suggest. Union? St. Lawrence? Would Gettysburg or F&M get there? Who knows. Tufts hasn't lost to a non-NESCAC opponent in the North bracket since 2013, and most of those games haven't even been close. 2021 Tufts looks better than any Jumbos team since the 14/15 title winners, and there is nothing to indicate that other North teams have made the same leap.

As for RIT...I will believe it when I see it. They are obviously a great program, but they looked somewhat mortal against both Cortland and SJF. Additionally, a bit of history: the Tigers are 1-5 in the postseason against the NESCAC since 2014 despite playing every single one of those games at home (RIT and being overseeded in the North; name a more iconic duo). Losing to a NESCAC team in Rochester is basically a yearly playoff tradition for the Tigers. RIT is obviously among D-III's elite, but still: I would pick Tufts and I wouldn't think twice. RIT winning would be an unbelievable story...especially if the selection committee makes the Tigers get on a bus to play a real live road game for the first time since the Lincoln administration.

In sum: ignoring the unproductive comment from the resident Salisbury fan, I do think I would take Tufts handily against almost any D-III team. The Gulls are the obvious exception; they would have no chance of outgunning Tufts straight up (it's not who they are), but with an elite defense and a FOGO who might eat Tufts' FOGOs for lunch they are well-constructed to give the Jumbos problems. RIT is right there with Salisbury, though they'd lack the same decisive edge on faceoffs. Having watched Cabrini...not a chance. I have not been able to see York/Stevenson yet but York is weird this year and Tufts has beaten the brakes off the Stangs multiple times in recent years. The score of a Lynchburg-Tufts matchup might look like a Big 12 football game. Who knows. I would pick Tufts against any team in the country right now and wait to be surprised.
Last edited by ah23 on Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernLaxGenius

ah23, love the insight and information.

Thank you

I believe Gettysburg and FM have a chance to end up in the South (but it does come down to geography and who wins the AQs this year).

Looks like Williams/Trinity winner will get to face the Jumbos in 2 weeks
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Dr. Pretorious wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:04 am
Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:26 am No one team in D3 will compete with the Jumbos.
you seem to be the only one that thinks otherwise.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am I think it's fair to say that the NESCAC as a whole is down this year. Usually there are multiple legit title contenders; this year there is one. Williams/Wesleyan/Amherst would be the most likely threats; Amherst isn't playing and we've already seen what Tufts did to Wes. It's not surprising that Tufts is alone at the top; it the size of the gap that is really astonishing. In 2019, Tufts had close/competitive games with Colby (W 13-11), Williams (W 15-14, W 17-16 OT), Wesleyan (L 10-9), Amherst (W 15-14, L 13-11), Bates (W 19-14), Bowdoin (W 13-7, close through 3), and Midd (W 14-13 OT). In six NESCAC games since ('20-'21), Tufts' average margin of victory is fifteen goals. That includes a ten goal win over then-#2 Amherst last year and a sixteen goal win over Wesleyan this year. The only single digit margin was Conn College this year, which was the Saturday tuneup for Wes-Tufts the next day.

With the NESCAC not a postseason threat to Tufts (assuming they win the conference title), I don't think there is a single team in the North outside of RIT that is even close to Tufts. I don't even know who to suggest. Union? St. Lawrence? Would Gettysburg or F&M get there? Who knows. Tufts hasn't lost to a non-NESCAC opponent in the North bracket since 2013, and most of those games haven't even been close. 2021 Tufts looks better than any Jumbos team since the 14/15 title winners, and there is nothing to indicate that other North teams have made the same leap.

As for RIT...I will believe it when I see it. They are obviously a great program, but they looked somewhat mortal against both Cortland and SJF. Additionally, a bit of history: the Tigers are 1-5 in the postseason against the NESCAC since 2014 despite playing every single one of those games at home (RIT and being overseeded in the North; name a more iconic duo). Losing to a NESCAC team in Rochester is basically a yearly playoff tradition for the Tigers. RIT is obviously among D-III's elite, but still: I would pick Tufts and I wouldn't think twice. RIT winning would be an unbelievable story...especially if the selection committee makes the Tigers get on a bus to play a real live road game for the first time since the Lincoln administration.

In sum: ignoring the unproductive comment from the resident Salisbury fan, I do think I would take Tufts handily against almost any D-III team. The Gulls are the obvious exception; they would have no chance of outgunning Tufts straight up (it's not who they are), but with an elite defense and a FOGO who might eat Tufts' FOGOs for lunch, they are well-constructed to give the Jumbos problems. RIT is right there with Salisbury, though they'd lack the same decisive edge on faceoffs. Having watched Cabrini...not a chance. I have not been able to see York/Stevenson yet but York is weird this year and Tufts has beaten the brakes off the Stangs multiple times in recent years. The score of a Lynchburg-Tufts matchup might look like a Big 12 football game. Who knows. I would pick Tufts against any team in the country right now and wait to be surprised.
A lot of truth here. Williams would have given Tufts a very good game last year (and may well have been favored as they were the preseason #1 ranked team which doesn't mean a ton except that they were extremely loaded). They would have this year as well but are missing the majority of upperclassmen on their expected roster. The same is true for many of the NESCAC team, including Wesleyan, EXCEPT for Tufts, which would have been the best team in the league anyway but this year is playing intact vs a bunch of team with reduced rosters stuffed with freshman. Which is not to say they won't with the title (I would be very surprised if it is anyone other than them or Salisbury) but does explain why the rest of the league appears down and why they will likely put up some in-league beatdown scores that are rarely seen in the NESCAC.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:22 pm
you seem to be the only one that thinks otherwise.
Apparently not - see post above from ah23:

The Gulls are the obvious exception; they would have no chance of outgunning Tufts straight up (it's not who they are), but with an elite defense and a FOGO who might eat Tufts' FOGOs for lunch, they are well-constructed to give the Jumbos problems.
Dr. Pretorious

Post by Dr. Pretorious »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

In sum: ignoring the unproductive comment from the resident Salisbury fan,
Not sure if you are referring to me but if so incorrect. As I have posted several times here on the D3 forum, I am a fan of the Centennial conference. Had a son and nephew both play in the Centennial, currently have a grandson playing in the Centennial, so a BIG Centennial fan.

I do respect the Salisbury program however. And I will admit to deriving great entertainment from observing how the mere mention of their program on the NESCAC thread causes some of the posters to lose their collective minds as they go from 0 to 100 racing to their keyboards to fire off a retort. Don’t know why that program pushes your guys buttons so much, but it is predictable and entertaining.

Going back to the original post to which I responded, wherein someone suggested that no team in D3 could compete with Tufts, you yourself pointed out that there was at least one team that probably could compete.

Anyone can opine that Tufts is the best team in D3 this year, and he may well indeed prove to be correct.
Anyone can opine that Tufts is the clear favorite to win the D3 championship this year, again may well prove to be correct.
Anyone can opine that Tufts WILL win the D3 championship this year, and again may be correct.
In fact, I would tend to agree, for pretty much the reasons you state yourself.
But for anyone to say that there was no other team in the realm of D3 who who can even compete with Tufts is, IMHO, an exaggeration - seems like more of a cheerleading commentary than an objective analysis. That’s all.
UpperCorner

Post by UpperCorner »

This Weekend!

Tufts vs Colby
Hamilton vs Wesleyan
Trinity vs Williams
Bates vs Conn College
Trinity vs Wesleyan

Its about time!!!!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Maybe, Doc P, because you made a sophomoric and dbag post like above:
FCIAC LAX

Post by FCIAC LAX »

UpperCorner wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:21 pm This Weekend!

Tufts vs Colby
Hamilton vs Wesleyan
Trinity vs Williams
Bates vs Conn College
Trinity vs Wesleyan

Its about time!!!!
Hearing Colby Lax kids sent home........
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

ah23 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am The Gulls are the obvious exception; they would have no chance of outgunning Tufts straight up (it's not who they are), but with an elite defense and a FOGO who might eat Tufts' FOGOs for lunch they are well-constru
cted to give the Jumbos problems. RIT is right there with Salisbury, though they'd lack the same decisive edge on faceoffs..
One more resident Gull fan here. No disrespect, but whoever said no DIII can compete with Tufts is slipping off their rocker. No doubt Tufts is putting up points, and I agree it wouldn't be in the Gulls best interest to run up and down the field with them. That being said, I find interesting how a few out there appear to dismiss SU's offense. I won't argue that they are working out some kinks, but It will not surprise me at all if the Gulls offense shines come playoff time, and any team who doesn't respect that group will likely pay dearly for it.

Truth is that nobody has played enough challenging games this year to really know how this thing is going to turn out. There will be new stresses, teams will be well prepared and there will be far fewer easy goals as teams edge deeper into the playoffs. Never can tell how a team will respond when they are really tested. I'm sure both squads will be prepared and I hope we get a chance to see these teams square off in the last game of the season.
bighoss74

Post by bighoss74 »

FCIAC LAX wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:56 pm
UpperCorner wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:21 pm This Weekend!

Tufts vs Colby
Hamilton vs Wesleyan
Trinity vs Williams
Bates vs Conn College
Trinity vs Wesleyan

Its about time!!!!
Hearing Colby Lax kids sent home........
Can confirm via anonymous source
SouthernLaxGenius

Tufts schedule also has Trinty game cancelled.

No games for the Jumbos until May 8 and the NESCAC chip.

Do they get another game against a D1 or D2 opponent in the mean time? :shock:
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

There was a lot of talk of an * being placed on who ever won the DIII tournament when is seemed the NESCAC was out due to COVID. Not seeing a whole lot of asterisk talk now that their back and Tufts is playing well. Weird. Because there are still a lot of X factors and cancellations this year where teams got short changed or took a schedule hit.

If Tufts wins, does the asterisk crowd still want to apply it?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”