FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
random observer

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by random observer »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm The last 2 posters challenging my comments regarding Lehigh still have the right of free speech in this country, at least for now. You have the right to challenge but my guess is neither of you have seen a Rutgers or a Lehigh game this year and can't make a fair comparison. And i have seen a lot of them. Objectively, if Rutgers had lehigh's faceoff guy, Rutgers may be the best team in the country. That said, the point of my original post is in most polls, with the exception of the USILA poll, are incredibly biased towards the ACC. Regarding lehigh, they have played 6 of their 9 games at home and 2 of their games are against lafayette, 0-9, who plays mostly freshmen. If lafayette had Sisselberger?, lehigh's faceoff guy, lafayette , on that day, would have defeated lehigh by ten goals. Just my opinion. Lastly, the USILA poll, the coaches poll, and the most objective and unbiased, has rutgers at #5. Maybe you should exercise your expertise to challenge them, not me. i wish you well.
"Beyond that, there are 30-40 teams better than Lehigh."

"Objectively, if Rutgers had Lehigh's face-off guy, Rutgers may be the best team in the country."

"If Lafayette had Sisselberger they would have beaten Lehigh by 10 goals."

These three statements tell me that you've seen a lot of Rutgers games and not nearly enough of anybody else's games (and that you don't know the meaning of the word objective). Hate to break it to you but Rutgers isn't an elite FOGO away from glory; they went 50% at the face-off X against Maryland and still lost by 8 goals. They lack scoring depth and their defense is just ok.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

random observer, my guess is you never played organized sports in your lifetime other than maybe a CYO league. The fact that you insist on questioning and challenging a random poster's opinion on the sports equivalent of facebook is indicative of your character. Regarding lacrosse, my guess is your knowledge is limited to the posts here on fanlax. Why not just agree to disagree? Our opinions are just that. You chose to go after my post specifically. Otherwise, this dialogue would not exist. I wish you well.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

RURICK wrote:
Beyond that,
there are 30-40 teams better than Lehigh
in the country.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
random observer

Post by random observer »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 pm random observer, my guess is you never played organized sports in your lifetime other than maybe a CYO league. The fact that you insist on questioning and challenging a random poster's opinion on the sports equivalent of facebook is indicative of your character. Regarding lacrosse, my guess is your knowledge is limited to the posts here on fanlax. Why not just agree to disagree? Our opinions are just that. You chose to go after my post specifically. Otherwise, this dialogue would not exist. I wish you well.
I chose to go after your post because in the same paragraph that you bemoaned Rutgers not getting enough respect, you turned around and spewed nonsense about a team in a similar position to them. If you're going to make such statements you have to be prepared to wear them. The fact that you keep trying to hammer home your point by repeatedly referencing only one game that Lehigh has played (which they lead the entire way and won comfortably if not convincingly), just shows that you're arguing out of bad faith. I assume you would not take kindly to someone reducing Rutgers entire season to scraping by 2-8 Michigan.

The irony is that I quite like this Rutgers team and will be rooting for them in the tournament (and would root for them in a hypothetical matchup with Lehigh); I thought they got screwed by the selection committee a couple of times in years past.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Good lord, the Rutgers burns. You have not beat a team with a winning record. Rutgers might be 20th in the country , maybe 10th, who knows? Certainly Lehigh has better wins and I am obviously not high of Lehigh from my last posts. Random Observer is actually not a random observer and knows of what he speaks. RURICK seems to have not watched may lax games. RU may win a game or 2 in the tourney, most top level lax are games are 2-3 goal toss ups. If they played in the ACC though they would probably have 4-5 losses and not be in the tourney discussion.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:04 pm The last 2 posters challenging my comments regarding Lehigh still have the right of free speech in this country, at least for now. You have the right to challenge but my guess is neither of you have seen a Rutgers or a Lehigh game this year and can't make a fair comparison. And i have seen a lot of them. Objectively, if Rutgers had lehigh's faceoff guy, Rutgers may be the best team in the country. That said, the point of my original post is in most polls, with the exception of the USILA poll, are incredibly biased towards the ACC. Regarding lehigh, they have played 6 of their 9 games at home and 2 of their games are against lafayette, 0-9, who plays mostly freshmen. If lafayette had Sisselberger?, lehigh's faceoff guy, lafayette , on that day, would have defeated lehigh by ten goals. Just my opinion. Lastly, the USILA poll, the coaches poll, and the most objective and unbiased, has rutgers at #5. Maybe you should exercise your expertise to challenge them, not me. i wish you well.
well, it sure was difficult to discern the point of your original post was that the acc was criminally overrated. especially as you didn't mention them and banged on lehigh. what makes you think i haven't seen rutgers or lehigh play? do you mean in person? in person i haven't, i can see how that matters to some.

the acc is now 30 something and 1 out of conference. what makes you believe they're the recipient of crazy bias? how many games have you seen in person?

does lehigh get to use their faceoff guy vs rutgers if they play in the nc$$?

i am curious. you don't like the acc and you don't like lehigh. who do you like in their spots? (other than rutgers, of course)
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 pm "Beyond that, there are 30-40 teams better than Lehigh."

"Objectively, if Rutgers had Lehigh's face-off guy, Rutgers may be the best team in the country."

"If Lafayette had Sisselberger they would have beaten Lehigh by 10 goals."

These three statements tell me that you've seen a lot of Rutgers games and not nearly enough of anybody else's games (and that you don't know the meaning of the word objective). Hate to break it to you but Rutgers isn't an elite FOGO away from glory; they went 50% at the face-off X against Maryland and still lost by 8 goals. They lack scoring depth and their defense is just ok.
Man, I've seen at least half of Rutgers's games and 2 or 3 Lehigh games, and I don't think Lehigh beats Rutgers in a neutral field game. RU's issues have more to do with their lack of depth behind their top 6 on offense, which is as good as any in the nation. Lehigh's defense is really good, and they play really good complementary offense. They aren't going to get into a transition game against anyone. They eat into shot clocks and force teams to be really efficient on offense to beat them. That's why their FOGO is vital.

TBH, I have a much harder time assessing how good DU and Georgetown are. Like RU, they don't have a ton of offensive depth. DU still doesn't have a lot of guys that can win one-on-one match-ups (their downfall against UNC and Duke), but they've definitely gotten better. GU has the same issue, IMO, outside of Carraway.

And, look, the ACC is either going to be SEC football or B1G basketball. Without games against B1G or Ivy opponents, none of us know.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

hahaha. the acc played 30 something games against outside opponents.

seems we know plenty about them. how is it we didn't figure out pre-season the b1g fans would turn around everything on everyone else? we know nothing about the b1g other than eye test.

md and rutgers "look good". i'm sure they'll be ready. tho hopkins looked good saturday, too.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:52 pmThere are 30 -40 teams better than lehigh in the country.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:41 pm random observer, my guess is you never played organized sports in your lifetime other than maybe a CYO league. The fact that you insist on questioning and challenging a random poster's opinion on the sports equivalent of facebook is indicative of your character. Regarding lacrosse, my guess is your knowledge is limited to the posts here on fanlax. Why not just agree to disagree? Our opinions are just that. You chose to go after my post specifically. Otherwise, this dialogue would not exist. I wish you well.
Well then if that’s how we’re going to do it then objectively Hobart is the greatest lacrosse team ever.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

Ok guys, one more round of debates before i bid you a fond farewell. Just wanted to point to the USILA rankings for conversation. I would argue that, given the fact that the Big Ten elected to play only conference games during this covid season, this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc. That said, UMD is #1, Rutgers is #5, Penn state is #19, and OSU is #20, the last 2 being ranked in the top 20 despite possessing 4-6 records. Both PSU and OSU were ranked as high as #6 until the Big ten started beating up on each other. In my opinion, the teams ranked #11 thru 20 are interchangeable and the top ten are accurate as of today. So excited to hear from those posters on here attack me for "spewing nonsense", lol. Attack away.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

myself, i didn't attack you, but i am curious for you to answer my question.
who goes in front of the acc and lehigh besides rutgers?

i don't follow coaches around, but given they're allowed but 24 hours in a day i doubt they see 10 or 20 or or even more than a couple games a week for teams not on their schedule. if they vote at all and don't hand it off to a minion.

as the committee is taking in input from other/weird sources for the tourney, i'd imagine the final poll in 2 weeks might matter some (normally it means jack). most importantly around the bubble. that may only be 5-7 teams of consequence, most of those bubble out.

barring an upset of umd, rutgers might be part of that discussion, likely bubble in. or they may be a 6 or so. no one knows. the only probable is they'll likely not line up ru and umd on the same side of the bracket.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am ...this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc...
Even if their lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent is off the charts, their biases are palpable. In terms of objectivity, this would be the absolute worst group of people to use for an impartial ranking. With this said... I'm not sure what your point is. That UMD and RU are Top Teams? I don't think anyone is arguing against this.
Caddy Day
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am Ok guys, one more round of debates before i bid you a fond farewell. Just wanted to point to the USILA rankings for conversation. I would argue that, given the fact that the Big Ten elected to play only conference games during this covid season, this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc. That said, UMD is #1, Rutgers is #5, Penn state is #19, and OSU is #20, the last 2 being ranked in the top 20 despite possessing 4-6 records. Both PSU and OSU were ranked as high as #6 until the Big ten started beating up on each other. In my opinion, the teams ranked #11 thru 20 are interchangeable and the top ten are accurate as of today. So excited to hear from those posters on here attack me for "spewing nonsense", lol. Attack away.
Well,
your 30-40 teams better than Lehigh claim
was pretty silly,
that wasn’t going to get a pass here.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am ...i'd imagine the final poll in 2 weeks might matter some (normally it means jack)...
To say the polls don't matter is like saying the media doesn't matter. it does. players, recruits, parents, and fans give credence to the rankings and polls and so, whether UVM is actually a quality program or not, if a reputable media source says, UVM is #2 in the nation! (even if it's preseason and based on nothing real), people listen, recruits listen, players listen, etc. The media matters. Words matter.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:13 am ...your 30-40 teams better than Lehigh claim was pretty silly, that wasn’t going to get a pass here.
That would put an undefeated Lehigh with wins over Army, Navy, and Loyola just after Merrimack whose best win is over Mount St. Mary and has lost to Hobart and Bryant twice...
Caddy Day
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:15 am
wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:10 am ...i'd imagine the final poll in 2 weeks might matter some (normally it means jack)...
To say the polls don't matter is like saying the media doesn't matter. it does. players, recruits, parents, and fans give credence to the rankings and polls and so, whether UVM is actually a quality program or not, if a reputable media source says, UVM is #2 in the nation! (even if it's preseason and based on nothing real), people listen, recruits listen, players listen, etc. The media matters. Words matter.
reputable media source. ha!
i was speaking re: the tourney. rurick very well could've been talking about some of the consumable you're referencing. so my tangential subject twist would be just that other than how it applies to nc$$.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:12 am
RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am ...this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc...
Even if their lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent is off the charts, their biases are palpable. In terms of objectivity, this would be the absolute worst group of people to use for an impartial ranking. With this said... I'm not sure what your point is. That UMD and RU are Top Teams? I don't think anyone is arguing against this.
+1000 College coaches are probably the least reputable possible group to vote in polls. I don’t ever think they have the most knowledge (we aren’t taking tactics here) but they are clearly the most biased. RURICK you are t helping yourself here.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

My "30-40" teams comment was tongue in cheek but it was enough to get some posters here to respond, lol. Lehigh has talent but has played nobody anywhere close to the Big Ten caliber teams outside of Army. Separately, the ACC teams beat each other up just as the Big Ten does to each other. Three of their five teams currently have losing conference records. Finally, if i am incorrect for suggesting a total bias for the ACC teams, please explain why the rules do not apply for the ACC. When conference expansion took place a few years ago, The ACC lost Maryland, a blue blood, to the Big Ten. Subsequently, the ACC had only 5 teams and their conference was not mandated to go to 6. Why? The Big Ten actually went out to an independent, JHU, to go to 6. The result was the ACC does not have a conference tourney or an auto bid. Just saying that the odds are stacked in favor of the blue bloods from the ACC as they are eligible for 5 at large bids each year. Recruiting is also affected negatively. If i were a stud high school player, and I wanted to virtually guarantee my playing in the NCAA tourney EVERY year, I would only consider the ACC. The other posters quick to denounce and attack me here have posted nothing to contradict or disprove the statistical facts that I have presented. Keep firing away at me guys. One final point about rankings. Take villanova as another example, currently ranked 16th. They lost to GTOWN 16-1 early in the season. I would suggest to you that if Rutgers lost 16-1 to ANYONE at any time during the year, they would never see their name ranked for the rest of the year and would never even be under consideration for an at large berth. There is not an honest, knowledgeable poster here that could deny this. Lastly, thanks to all here who have made me feel welcome to post on fanlax.I have posted 13 times and every post has been attacked. Most attackers have thousands of posts, lol. Get a life people unless Fanlax is your life. Be well.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

RURICK wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:59 am Ok guys, one more round of debates before i bid you a fond farewell. Just wanted to point to the USILA rankings for conversation. I would argue that, given the fact that the Big Ten elected to play only conference games during this covid season, this poll, comprised of college coaches, even though they also have their biases, have the most lax knowledge and ability to evaluate talent, etc. That said, UMD is #1, Rutgers is #5, Penn state is #19, and OSU is #20, the last 2 being ranked in the top 20 despite possessing 4-6 records. Both PSU and OSU were ranked as high as #6 until the Big ten started beating up on each other. In my opinion, the teams ranked #11 thru 20 are interchangeable and the top ten are accurate as of today. So excited to hear from those posters on here attack me for "spewing nonsense", lol. Attack away.
This is some major things skin for somebody showing up out of the blue like a fair weather fan making extremely bold proclamations.
Same sword they knight you they gon' good night you with
Thats' only half if they like you
That ain't even the half what they might do
Don't believe me, ask Michael
See Martin, Malcolm
See Jesus, Judas; Caesar, Brutus
See success is like suicide

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”