2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Can Opener

Re: 2021 Tewaaraton watch list released

Post by Can Opener »

North scored 5 goals on 5 shots and added an assist. She also led BC to 18-10 domination on draws. That was all in a come from behind upset win on the road. Yeah, yeah, the real action is in the NCAA tournament, but she made yet another statement tonight.
DMac

Post by DMac »

You gonna call that an upset win????
A comeback win after leading in the game for how many minutes....50+ (and given a one goal gift)?
Enjoy the W, but c'mon.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

North's goal at 25:46 was unreal. Wouldn't call this an upset when they are ranked 3/4 or come from behind when BC led most of the way. Next two meetings will be intense. Hoping for the best for Meghan Carney.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

seacoaster wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:28 pm So, to sum up, Izzy doesn't get the award until NU plays somebody good, right? Agreed? Sweet.
In an up year for the ACC and a down year for the bubble-wrapped Big Ten, Scane only wins this award over Ortega and North if NU wins the 'ship, and maybe not even then.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

DMac wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:08 pm You gonna call that an upset win????
A comeback win after leading in the game for how many minutes....50+ (and given a one goal gift)?
Enjoy the W, but c'mon.
BC trailed with under 12:00 to go. (Will the judges give me that? Maybe?)
OK, so that’s not a super strong point, but they were underdogs. Lower ranked playing on the road in an iconic lacrosse venue. I imagine it’s pretty rare that Cuse is ranked top 3 and gives one up at home. As much as I’d like to gloat, I can’t stop thinking about Carney. I am a total wimp about that stuff. Had to turn my screen off out of fear they’d show a replay. Huge respect to Cuse and how hard they play.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Will give you the on the road in Dome part but underdog, not so much. You and I both know that the difference between number three and four when ranking teams is microscopic and says the two teams are near equals. There's no upset here, there were many who thought BC had a real good shot of winning this one, including me, going into it.
Completely agree on Carney, just really sad. I wouldn't have looked at it twice either and I don't think they did show it.
Bart

Post by Bart »

What impressed me most about Ms North last evening were not the goals or DC's but how hard she worked to get the ball while being face guarded. Once she did get the ball she did not force it. Team play by her all evening IMO.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Bart wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:14 am What impressed me most about Ms North last evening were not the goals or DC's but how hard she worked to get the ball while being face guarded. Once she did get the ball she did not force it. Team play by her all evening IMO.
She had one great goal off of a cut when BC was actually a man down. However, I'm not sure that I would call what Syracuse was doing was a faceguard. It was more of a shadow. The girl playing her did not completely shut her off.
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Slow day today on WLax forum, so thought it was time to stir up some debate.

How’d our top 4 Tewaaraton candidates do this weekend as the regular season ended and how are they trending in no particular order?

1) Ortega-out with injury, probably benefitted the most by her absence as UNC looked like a shell of themselves on offense. Trend way up.

2) Moreno-4 saves, 9 goals allowed, 31% save percentage, she is human after all. Trend down a little. Upcoming Tourneys will decide her fate.

3) North- game 1 with face guard was stellar 5G, 1A, 6 Pts, 8 draws, 2 To’s in win, game 2 with face guard was not stellar 0G, 0A, 0pts, 5 draws, 2 TO’s in loss. BC must make a run with CN leading. Trend down slightly.

4) Scane- No game, Trend about same.

Thoughts anyone?
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxallday wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 pm Slow day today on WLax forum, so thought it was time to stir up some debate.

How’d our top 4 Tewaaraton candidates do this weekend as the regular season ended and how are they trending in no particular order?

1) Ortega-out with injury, probably benefitted the most by her absence as UNC looked like a shell of themselves on offense. Trend way up.

2) Moreno-4 saves, 9 goals allowed, 31% save percentage, she is human after all. Trend down a little. Upcoming Tourneys will decide her fate.

3) North- game 1 with face guard was stellar 5G, 1A, 6 Pts, 8 draws, 2 To’s in win, game 2 with face guard was not stellar 0G, 0A, 0pts, 5 draws, 2 TO’s in loss. BC must make a run with CN leading. Trend down slightly.

Thoughts anyone?
Ill jump in....But how much does the committee look at individual games I wonder? Do they just kind of look at overall stats for the year?

1.) Ortega being injured and out that game and how UNC responded poorly def prob helped her stock.
2.) Moreno - it was like a week of goalies not doing well or being pulled . Agree ACC will make or break
3.) North - Not the first time a FG has tripped her up. Not a lot of chatter about second game and her performance...crickets...again how she and BC do in ACC could go a long way.'
4.) Yep, and a bye in first round so no Scane chatter for a while.
Any new players entering in conversation? Kavanagh, Kennedy?
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm
Laxallday wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:55 pm Slow day today on WLax forum, so thought it was time to stir up some debate.

Thoughts anyone?
Ill jump in....But how much does the committee look at individual games I wonder? Do they just kind of look at overall stats for the year?

1.) Ortega being injured and out that game and how UNC responded poorly def prob helped her stock.
2.) Moreno - it was like a week of goalies not doing well or being pulled . Agree ACC will make or break
3.) North - Not the first time a FG has tripped her up. Not a lot of chatter about second game and her performance...crickets...again how she and BC do in ACC could go a long way.'
4.) Yep, and a bye in first round so no Scane chatter for a while.
Any new players entering in conversation? Kavanagh, Kennedy?
Not sure they look that much into individual games. Maybe look at who they did well against, etc. Not on committee so I’m not sure. You could add a Kavanaugh or Kennedy, but they would likely have to at least make final for it to really put them up there with the rest. Could add somebody on D like Trenchard, who is great, but competing against her own teammates or Colson who has plenty of stats but Maryland not likely to make it to quarters.
laxagainsthumanity

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:29 pm Ill jump in....But how much does the committee look at individual games I wonder? Do they just kind of look at overall stats for the year?
The biggest criteria seems to be postseason performance. Can you lead your team deep into May? Can you command the field on the biggest stage? I don't think they care too much about individual performances during the regular season, but certainly consistency is a big factor in how any player is regarded.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Colson as a finalist. She's one of the best in the country and the Tewey Committee sure does love those Terps. I don't think anyone outside our list of favorites has a shot to actually win the thing though.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm Maryland not likely to make it to quarters.
I like this scenario. Please expound.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:14 pm the Tewey Committee sure does love those Terps.
As my cousin used to say when I said something he agreed with wholeheartedly: “You ain’t never lyin!”
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:12 am
Laxallday wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:26 pm Maryland not likely to make it to quarters.
No offense to our Terp posters, but I just don’t see Md winning two games. No first round bye which is always a disadvantage, no home field advantage, limited offensive options and solid not spectacular on draws and D. Colson can only win so many draws and cover so many top offensive threats.
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxallday wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 am
No offense to our Terp posters, but I just don’t see Md winning two games. No first round bye which is always a disadvantage, no home field advantage, limited offensive options and solid not spectacular on draws and D. Colson can only win so many draws and cover so many top offensive threats.
Agreed. Colson is a tad overrated this year. She didn’t have any affect on Izzy Scane vs Northwestern (9 goals 1st game; 5 in 2nd) or Olivia Dirks (5 goals 1st game) (O’Neil and Muldoon both had 5 in 2nd game) for Penn State. They have no leadership on offense which has also been a factor for the last two years.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 am
Laxallday wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:05 am
Agreed. Colson is a tad overrated this year. She didn’t have any affect on Izzy Scane vs Northwestern (9 goals 1st game; 5 in 2nd) or Olivia Dirks (5 goals 1st game) (O’Neil and Muldoon both had 5 in 2nd game) for Penn State. They have no leadership on offense which has also been a factor for the last two years.
https://www.Uslax magazine.com/college/women/taylors-takes-breaking-down-the-5-tewaaraton-favorites
Cletus

Post by Cletus »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 am Agreed. Colson is a tad overrated this year. She didn’t have any affect on Izzy Scane vs Northwestern (9 goals 1st game; 5 in 2nd) or Olivia Dirks (5 goals 1st game) (O’Neil and Muldoon both had 5 in 2nd game) for Penn State. They have no leadership on offense which has also been a factor for the last two years.
https://www.Uslax magazine.com/college/women/taylors-takes-breaking-down-the-5-tewaaraton-favorites
I was just coming to post this! So ridiculous. I guess Terp blood runs thick.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:22 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:19 am
Cletus wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:09 am Agreed. Colson is a tad overrated this year. She didn’t have any affect on Izzy Scane vs Northwestern (9 goals 1st game; 5 in 2nd) or Olivia Dirks (5 goals 1st game) (O’Neil and Muldoon both had 5 in 2nd game) for Penn State. They have no leadership on offense which has also been a factor for the last two years.
I was just coming to post this! So ridiculous. I guess Terp blood runs thick.
Colson should not be on this list. She is not even the best defender in the country, let alone the best player regardless of position. She's a great player but she's not having Tewaarton season.
laxagainsthumanity

Brownlax wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:31 pm Colson should not be on this list... She's a great player but she's not having Tewaarton season.
Hit the nail on the head.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”