Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
get it to x

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by get it to x »

get it to x wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 pm Let me put it like this. Was having a chat w a “buddy” who has a side business of the less transparent kind. Grew up in Bouldercrest, one of the toughest parts of Atlanta. Nice,thoughtful guy who I like because he is really observant and sees people and not just in a cynical manner. This guy has high school and the kind you’d see in season 4 of the wire where focus is difficult. We were discussing college costs somehow and the difference between undergrad liberal arts and generic university education setting aside class size, university focus on research and grad programs, TAs teaching up to 300 level etc at Universities. He was pretty clearly of the view that why would you pay more than a little money, not even $20k a year to get a education that’s doing accounting or anything that’s trade like and for the specific purpose of getting a job? He saw how clearly the value of learning how to think overcomes specific domain training without any input from me. I even told him in defense LibArts have gotten stupid expensive and there is a theoretical elitist element to spending four years and all that dough to learn to think and he rejected that out of hand with effectively “f**k that, if I’m spending time and money of any kind I want to become smarter as a person not just learn how to do one thing for a company that may not last 20 years.” (He added “they have a lot of girls that like to party in college too right?” Which was amazing)

So it’s not liberal arts folks that see the value it’s people that see what education is. And this guy owns 125ac of land in AL and three houses lock stock cash in his name in East atlanta (Modest homes rented under section 8 but the underlying land is appreciating fast as the area is under significant gentrification) and hes 34.

That’s as compelling as any other argument
I never said Lesbian and Gender Studies was useless. If you’re on a path to a job in HR it might even be helpful. It doesn’t require advanced mathematics like STEM fields either. Again,if it’s your thing, go for it. But what are progressives saying to young people when they are blocking/watering down the first rate public education they say is a right.

Also, stop confusing progressive and liberal. Progressives are about as far from classic liberalism as the Orioles are from winning the World Series.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:42 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:37 am Just not factual or intelligent. Consistent with nonsense sprayed around here but of zero value to any human being on the planet.
I doubt PB actually knows what the liberal arts are, or what is the origins of the idea. He sees the word liberal and has a conniption.

No one needs a pure liberal arts degree. One reason we have so many Marxist morons in America is because some of us pretend to value the valueless. The only thing a liberal arts degree does for its adherents is push them to get similarly worthless graduate degrees. Then Democrats float the idea of forgiving that debt too.

Everyone needs a trade. If my world collapsed (again!), overnight I can be a heavy equipment mechanic, heavy equipment operator, or fixed wing pilot. I also have enough plumbing knowledge to get jobs. I have actual skills which other humans value.

If you numbnuts think lesbian studies or any of those other junk studies are valuable to anyone, keep deluding yourselves. Junk is junk.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So people who have liberal arts degrees can’t have knowledge and ability in trades but folks that go to state U and get a TA provided education in classes of hundreds of students do?

That makes no sense as an argument.

I’ve been a mailman, worked at Long John Silvers, Ruby Tuesday and Geound round as bartender, waitstaff and in kitchens (unofficially bc cooks liked me and I liked to learn how to cook with that stuff), saved $20k+ for college from selling baseball cards off my porch I contributed to my undergrad which was a luxury for my family, paperboy, parts plus distribution center, overnight shift at a gas station, etc along with internships and jobs at places like Credit Suisse, Commerzbank etc. No prestige MBA a few years after college.

Just don’t know what people are acting when they make proclamations sometimes.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:14 pm
get it to x wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:02 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 pm Let me put it like this. Was having a chat w a “buddy” who has a side business of the less transparent kind. Grew up in Bouldercrest, one of the toughest parts of Atlanta. Nice,thoughtful guy who I like because he is really observant and sees people and not just in a cynical manner. This guy has high school and the kind you’d see in season 4 of the wire where focus is difficult. We were discussing college costs somehow and the difference between undergrad liberal arts and generic university education setting aside class size, university focus on research and grad programs, TAs teaching up to 300 level etc at Universities. He was pretty clearly of the view that why would you pay more than a little money, not even $20k a year to get a education that’s doing accounting or anything that’s trade like and for the specific purpose of getting a job? He saw how clearly the value of learning how to think overcomes specific domain training without any input from me. I even told him in defense LibArts have gotten stupid expensive and there is a theoretical elitist element to spending four years and all that dough to learn to think and he rejected that out of hand with effectively “f**k that, if I’m spending time and money of any kind I want to become smarter as a person not just learn how to do one thing for a company that may not last 20 years.” (He added “they have a lot of girls that like to party in college too right?” Which was amazing)

So it’s not liberal arts folks that see the value it’s people that see what education is. And this guy owns 125ac of land in AL and three houses lock stock cash in his name in East atlanta (Modest homes rented under section 8 but the underlying land is appreciating fast as the area is under significant gentrification) and hes 34.

That’s as compelling as any other argument
I never said Lesbian and Gender Studies was useless. If you’re on a path to a job in HR it might even be helpful. It doesn’t require advanced mathematics like STEM fields either. Again,if it’s your thing, go for it. But what are progressives saying to young people when they are blocking/watering down the first rate public education they say is a right.

Also, stop confusing progressive and liberal. Progressives are about as far from classic liberalism as the Orioles are from winning the World Series.
It was the dismissiveness of the nature of the comment that bled through. And my hitting it was partly due to your unnecessary and uniformed indignant attitdue on one topic previously which predicated this. After you flipped out on me, and in my world calling someone a piece of crap is something that person should be prepared to back up. So I looked and I can see your biases pretty quickly here, totally different than the lacrosse posts in terms of civility and attitude towards towards, and when in that light the comment wasn’t purely academic in nature clearly. But yet you jumped in on botard. What if someone her had a daughter or sister who liked h th enslaved due to abuse over being a lesbian? Or not jump on others over a word.

Ironically I agree with you’re second part. I’m a republican but really just anal govt in general and would bounce subsidies to both sides and knock out half the regulatory regime even if it meant utilizing interstate commerce to take things like licensing of business away from localities. I don’t see the left as particularly liberal myself.

What you are conflating however is education for the sake of learning to think (liberal arts in general) with learning for a trade. Is that what you think the only function of higher ed/college is? Pretty narrow and obtuse view of education and the thinking that is part of the problem that leads to greater govt intervention In education actually.

By the way you’re using a non technical and pejorative version of progressive. What would I find in the dictionary about progressive? No not a synonym of liberal but the way you’re tossing words around they are conflated often. Same as most people around here, so you think Peter Brown distinguishes when using liberal or progressive or do you think he uses the term liberal appropriately definition ally?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

California has military jet on standby for domestic intimidation.

https://redstate.com/scotthounsell/2021 ... ssion=true
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:36 pm California has military jet on standby for domestic intimidation.

+1, the gubmint has the average American outgunned 6 ways to Sunday. Shhhhhhhhhhhhh, they don't want folks to know that. I wonder who wins in a heads up conflict... The 82nd airborne or the white supremacists?
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:36 pm California has military jet on standby for domestic intimidation.

Complete nonsense speculation, refuted by actual base leaders: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 26259.html
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

RedFromMI wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:20 pm

Complete nonsense speculation, refuted by actual base leaders: https://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/ar ... 26259.html
Glad the military folks told them to pound sand.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

It’s so funny when libs realize they’re the actual fascists in our midst. :lol:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:06 pm

It’s so funny when libs realize they’re the actual fascists in our midst. :lol:
Question for you, Meggsy. Did you get beat up and stuffed in your locker every day in high school?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

No. He had to settle for playing D3 ball.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

So 100+ years after the fact we finally have a president with the balls to call bullsh*t on the Turks. Recognizing the Turkish massacres of Armenians as genocide.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 pm So 100+ years after the fact we finally have a president with the balls to call bullsh*t on the Turks. Recognizing the Turkish massacres of Armenians as genocide.
Actually the term genocide wasn't defined/invented until after World War II ended. Nevertheless, the situation with the Ottomans and Armenians was a massacre on a scale that would subsequently certainly qualify as what was to become known as a genocide.

Pandering to the Turks all this time was also not warranted especially now with dirtbag Erdogan in charge.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Figure this belongs here since it belongs to libs.

E7A910AF-3CC6-496F-BD62-038F72519703.jpeg
E7A910AF-3CC6-496F-BD62-038F72519703.jpeg (72.38 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:32 pm So 100+ years after the fact we finally have a president with the balls to call bullsh*t on the Turks. Recognizing the Turkish massacres of Armenians as genocide.

I think that the queen of evil would say it best.. " at this point in time what difference does it make"
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:41 pm

I think that the queen of evil would say it best.. " at this point in time what difference does it make"

The Clintons are actual live trailer trash.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The Turks must have been an inspiration for Stalin and Chairman Mao. How come almost nobody ever talks about the genocide committed under those 2 dictators? I get it.. don't wanna tick off the chicoms now do we? :roll: we can pizz off the Turks, leave them chicoms outta the mix.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:46 pm

To quote the queen of evil.. " at this point in time what difference does it make."
Bob Ross:
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:49 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:46 pm

To quote the queen of evil.. " at this point in time what difference does it make."
:D

Return to “POLITICS”