Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Agreed, but the supporting argument made to counter the argument that “are they really improved if they’ve lost 6 straight?”, to which the answer could be yes given some context, but instead the rebuttal was “ask Tillman if they think Hop is any good”. I’ve only watched maybe 5-6qtrs of Hope lacrosse this year personally didn’t see much, probably better than 2-9 or whatever, but a lot of those losses came to Mich, PSU and a not so great OSU so hard to say if they’ve gotten better. Mainly just pointing out that specific argument as being specious and not compelling, not that the conclusion Is correct or incorrect.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
NYterp09

Post by NYterp09 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 pm
There’s a lot of defensiveness around here. Some take the position that you can only speak negatively regarding anything Hop if you are a (former player or more likely not) alum and even then...

I didn’t see it live but the pic put up when you zoom in can se it’s somewhere between the blue and yellow vertical line,or at lest at the blue one, so I see where the terp perspective could say he was closer from and “East/west” Perspective. Whether that’s enough to offset the north/south Delta I can’t say. But there’s like four people screaming about how it was the reason Hop lost the game one one guy comes on who is taking the time to look at it repeatedly and he gets immediately called a moron. And with the impressive use of LOL by an adult too!

If anything it was surprising it was even close but doesn’t change that MD is a title contender and Hop won’t be in the playoffs.
Is popular, decades-old internet slang not allowed on here? My mistake, I’ll try and clean it up in the future. But I did get a chuckle at all the saltiness. That call was way too close either way to be pretending like it cost anyone the game.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The defense looked sharp and SSDM play is about 1000% better than the past few years (or even earlier this year). I think Koesterer is making a huge difference.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NYterp09 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:55 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:14 pm
There’s a lot of defensiveness around here. Some take the position that you can only speak negatively regarding anything Hop if you are a (former player or more likely not) alum and even then...

I didn’t see it live but the pic put up when you zoom in can se it’s somewhere between the blue and yellow vertical line,or at lest at the blue one, so I see where the terp perspective could say he was closer from and “East/west” Perspective. Whether that’s enough to offset the north/south Delta I can’t say. But there’s like four people screaming about how it was the reason Hop lost the game one one guy comes on who is taking the time to look at it repeatedly and he gets immediately called a moron. And with the impressive use of LOL by an adult too!

If anything it was surprising it was even close but doesn’t change that MD is a title contender and Hop won’t be in the playoffs.
Is popular, decades-old internet slang not allowed on here? My mistake, I’ll try and clean it up in the future. But I did get a chuckle at all the saltiness. That call was way too close either way to be pretending like it cost anyone the game.
It’s like thinking anyone under 25 gives a crap about Facebook. Just can tell when it’s someone who’s too old to be using it, if it should be used at all.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

from the teams instagram page after the game. the diprospero/brown responses recieved more than 30 likes which you can see by clicking on the like. Benn, Greeley, etc.
jhumenslax
Baltimore city mandates limited attendance to just 250, but they got their money's worth. Not the result we were looking for, but another classic in lacrosse's greatest rivalry. #GoHop
diprospero
Can Ernie hit us with a stat for last time we were 2-8?
rbrownie4
Verified
@diprospero never
mdolente4
@diprospero preach
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Terps were probably justified thinking it was going to be a cakewalk when it was 5-0—-it could have been 9-0 without Marcille’s heroics. That was the first inspiring goalie play the Jays have received all season and it definitely lifted the entire team to play at a level they had not reached til now.

Hop had Maryland on the ropes. It took the stupendous goal by #12 as the shot clock expired to change the result. Terps’ last two goals fed off that momentum change. #12’s goal was the dagger in the heart of Jays’ fans, not the call before—-which I could understand because #12 dove farther than Marcille towards the end line.

I see the Hopkins team as a jigsaw puzzle where the pieces are finally coming together. Peshko, with his two goals, including that brilliant Canadian shovel shot, is the perfect centerpiece on EMO. Yes, it took ten games, but sometimes it takes time to earn the coaches’ trust. That is one piece in place for 2022. Martin is an excellent player who will have a starting SSDM role next season. Tyler Dunn has showed flashes with his second goal off that FO speed break. I was super pleased by Degnon’s range and placement on his three outside bombs. Matt Narewski helped Hopkins win nine straight FOs that helped fuel the 7-2 run in the second half. He’s a junior. I hope Deso, who now has 21 goals on .438% shooting, plus 15 assists, will return as QB. Plus, he had a brilliant CT on a pure hustle ride in the second half. Epstein, who has 29 points, is operating well in the offensive scheme from the wing.

I also hope that Reinson and Delaney will return. 55 GBs and and 20 CTs between them speak volumes about their play.

I admit to some confusion about Grimes. Since that 3-3 goal outburst in the first half against Ohio State, he has become invisible in the offense. An still high on his scoring potential in 2022.

Am curious whether Hopkins will become the team that no one will want to face in the BIG tournament. You can argue that in nearly spoiling Maryland’s undefeated season, Hop has finally become the sum of its talented parts. Of course, I’m biased, but don’t see a big talent disparity with the Terps. I see an experience disparity which probably explains Hop’s inability to close out a win up two goals with less than two minutes to play.

I do see a height advantage for Maryland as their goalie is one inch taller than ours.

Finally, I would have called a timeout with 8 seconds to go in the shot clock and concentrated my defense on #!2 and #1. In those 8 seconds, Terps had only one offensive move.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-If you read the instagram page it's very interesting to read the divide between the lacrosse alumni in terms of their comments and posts. The younger kids who played under Petro are extremely critical of the team and PM, and then you see the guys who predate Petro really having the current players and staffs backs, strongly encouraging them, and taking more of a long term approach.
-HOB those are the some of the questions they probably have to figure out after the season of what guys they have they think they can work with and who might not fit and then which ones might not want to stay. They clearly have some belief in baskin, epstein, reinson, delaney, degnon, deso, angelus, grimes, martin, narewski, jaronski, lilly, szulak, peshko, marcille, owen mcmanus, dunn, means, and eddie shure on man down. Beyond it's anyone's guess.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Hoponboard wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:33 pm Finally, I would have called a timeout with 8 seconds to go in the shot clock and concentrated my defense on #!2 and #1. In those 8 seconds, Terps had only one offensive move.
Just a few quick things about this. A defensive timeout resets the shot clock if I'm not mistaken. Secondly, I think we had already burned all our timeouts at that point.
RURICK

Post by RURICK »

It seems DocBarrister, jhu06, and SocHop are the only Hopkins fans that are realistic and not delusional. Only my 3rd post here on your page and i was welcomed by your fans. I will repeat what i said in my first post. Hopkins most valuable player is your new coach. He had to find out which players could complement each other and carry out his game plans. It took him a season to undo what Pietramala cemented into Hopkins culture. Millman is a great coach. Everything came together and you have an excellent faceoff guy that gave you more possessions. Trust me, nobody wants to face Hopkins in the Big tourney.
viho

Post by viho »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 pm -If you read the instagram page it's very interesting to read the divide between the lacrosse alumni in terms of their comments and posts. The younger kids who played under Petro are extremely critical of the team and PM, and then you see the guys who predate Petro really having the current players and staffs backs, strongly encouraging them, and taking more of a long term approach.
The start of PM's tenure could be worse. Remember Dave Cottle putting down a full blown revolt in College Park? He missed the playoffs his first year.
Players were/are part of the program due to Petro. Loyalties run deep.
jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:43 pm -HOB those are the some of the questions they probably have to figure out after the season of what guys they have they think they can work with and who might not fit and then which ones might not want to stay. They clearly have some belief in baskin, epstein, reinson, delaney, degnon, deso, angelus, grimes, martin, narewski, jaronski, lilly, szulak, peshko, marcille, owen mcmanus, dunn, means, and eddie shure on man down. Beyond it's anyone's guess.
Amazing how the last month of excuses that there is little talent on the roster have vanished. :lol:
The pendulum has just swung back to, "Why isn't their record better?"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Some thoughts:
Pretty bad form on the recent Hopkins players IMO - they should follow Petro's lead - show some class - stay silent or cheer for the guys who are wearing the same uniform as you once did and going through some tough times. While there are no moral victories you have to admire the fight. Milliman didn't orchestrate Petro getting released and none of the current players did.

I have to admit I haven't watched the entire game yet - I couldn't watch it live - my DVR of course was set to ESPNU so I got a snootful of Bernhardt for 3-0 and then some awesome volleyball. The full game is up on youtube. So this is going to sound bad and ill informed but given the commentary on this thread I was surprised to learn from the stats that the Maryland goalie had more saves in the last 3 quarters and the Hopkins save percentage was still in the low 40's - 44 to be exact. I understand he had a flurry in the first quarter that kept the game from possibly really getting away but we once again need to pump our brakes. I'm very glad he got the opportunity and played reasonably well.

A defensive time out does reset the shot clock

So I assume Penn State is #3 in the BIG Final standings having beaten Ohio State twice? Does anyone know if Rutgers defeats Michigan does Hopkins end up 5th or 6th. A Wolverine upset would send Hopkins to State College I would guess?
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Watching the highlights on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/NcvdjjYRdCI

Yes, Hopkins did not have any timeouts left, under two minutes. They really needed one after #12 made it 13-12.
johnnyonthegunpowder

Post by johnnyonthegunpowder »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:28 pm Hopkins goalie luck-robbed 4 UMD goals

Championship level performance by Wisnauskas/Bernhardt on the 2 goals before the last game winning goal

Wisnauskas goal from the ground is the best of the year from any team.
Agree 100%. Beautiful displays of passion, drive, and creativity from both of them. Also, Essexfenwick, respect to your handle; it is peak salty.
calourie

Post by calourie »

RURICK wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:57 pm It seems DocBarrister, jhu06, and SocHop are the only Hopkins fans that are realistic and not delusional. Only my 3rd post here on your page and i was welcomed by your fans. I will repeat what i said in my first post. Hopkins most valuable player is your new coach. He had to find out which players could complement each other and carry out his game plans. It took him a season to undo what Pietramala cemented into Hopkins culture. Millman is a great coach. Everything came together and you have an excellent faceoff guy that gave you more possessions. Trust me, nobody wants to face Hopkins in the Big tourney.
Very impressed with Hopkins play today. Not only did they look like they belonged on the field with Maryland today, but I actually thought they had a better than 50% chance of winning until Bernhardt's (I think ) goal making it 13-12 with a couple of minutes to go.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Wisnauskas goal made it 13-12. As great as that goal was, Logan’s behind-the-back assist, falling down, double teamed, may be the play of the season.

That it took two other-worldly goals by the Terps to win demonstrates how competitive the Jays have become.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:41 pm Some thoughts:
Pretty bad form on the recent Hopkins players IMO - they should follow Petro's lead - show some class - stay silent or cheer for the guys who are wearing the same uniform as you once did and going through some tough times. While there are no moral victories you have to admire the fight. Milliman didn't orchestrate Petro getting released and none of the current players did.

I have to admit I haven't watched the entire game yet - I couldn't watch it live - my DVR of course was set to ESPNU so I got a snootful of Bernhardt for 3-0 and then some awesome volleyball. The full game is up on youtube. So this is going to sound bad and ill informed but given the commentary on this thread I was surprised to learn from the stats that the Maryland goalie had more saves in the last 3 quarters and the Hopkins save percentage was still in the low 40's - 44 to be exact. I understand he had a flurry in the first quarter that kept the game from possibly really getting away but we once again need to pump our brakes. I'm very glad he got the opportunity and played reasonably well.

A defensive time out does reset the shot clock

So I assume Penn State is #3 in the BIG Final standings having beaten Ohio State twice? Does anyone know if Rutgers defeats Michigan does Hopkins end up 5th or 6th. A Wolverine upset would send Hopkins to State College I would guess?
I’ve been trying to figure that out. I agree that PSU is #3.

A 2-8 tie between Michigan and Hopkins doesn’t get resolved by head-to-head, because they split. Now, the goal differential in those two games favor Hopkins, but I don’t think that’s how the next tiebreaker works.

For other sports, it looks like the next tiebreaker is something like PF-PA. (Scored, Allowed). I’m not sure if that’s over all games, or whether they subtract out the scores of their own matchups and just include the totals against the other four teams.

You’d think a sports journalist somewhere would have scoped this all out. But, nah, yeah. Just wait until some time after 2 PM today.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

So the recent Hopkins alums, who accomplished little to nothing on the national landscape, have been openly critical of PM?

And the older Hopkins alums who have multiple natty rings are supporting him publicly?

Got it.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

From the @jhumenslacrosse Rutgers game score post
john_gags
Is the words of Schwarzegger “We’ll be back “ @ddenihan42 @bpic9 @brian_carcaterra @jonmarcus44 @seandenihan @paulcarcaterra
bpic9
@john_gags Yes. We will be.
brian_carcaterra
@bpic9 never loved @jhumenslax more than now.
1w1 likeReply
rbrownie4
@brian_carcaterra you love being 2-7???
brian_carcaterra
@rbrownie4 yes, I guess I do. Just like I was in 2015 when the team was 4-6 and then made the final four.
1w4 likesReply
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:27 am So the recent Hopkins alums, who accomplished little to nothing on the national landscape, have been openly critical of PM?

And the older Hopkins alums who have multiple natty rings are supporting him publicly?

Got it.
+1 with this. Bad look by many of them. People need to know who has the ability as alums to step up and voice their opinions. Big $$$ donors or prominent players. Everyone else unfortunately won't have much cache behind them
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:27 am So the recent Hopkins alums, who accomplished little to nothing on the national landscape, have been openly critical of PM?

Got it.
Hard to argue with this post in any way.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”