Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
PDSlax

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by PDSlax »

I know teams go on runs, but after St. Joe's, I don't like the way this one is going.

I feel like Hobart is the better squad today, but I've seen this before.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Didn’t we lose a goal taken away last week then they got one.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

What is with these refs?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Thought some of the technicals called were questionable, but the high check on Frankie I was a good call from where I sat. It was unintentional, but still direct contact to the head.
Not thrilled with q3, but the coaching and time management at the end of q2 was good. Our possession was much higher, and our shot selection was good ( except we, when we seemed to aim for the goalies chest. Overall the offense was very solid. We were also very aggressive on rides, and it paid off.
The defense was very strong in the first half, but they figured something out in the second half. We still allow goals from deep inside. It is our weakest link.
Faceoffs were wonderful. And our hustle plays really established our early lead.
Still work to do, but given everything, this game was all I hoped for. I hope Wagner happens. We need more playing time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PDSlax wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:46 pm What is with these refs?
The one later on Mack for delay was a bit iffy too but they got more than they lost from the refs in the day, just another example of how bad they were.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:27 pm Thought some of the technicals called were questionable, but the high check on Frankie I was a good call from where I sat. It was unintentional, but still direct contact to the head.
Not thrilled with q3, but the coaching and time management at the end of q2 was good. Our possession was much higher, and our shot selection was good ( except we, when we seemed to aim for the goalies chest. Overall the offense was very solid. We were also very aggressive on rides, and it paid off.
The defense was very strong in the first half, but they figured something out in the second half. We still allow goals from deep inside. It is our weakest link.
Faceoffs were wonderful. And our hustle plays really established our early lead.
Still work to do, but given everything, this game was all I hoped for. I hope Wagner happens. We need more playing time.
I watched on camera which was a specific downward angle but it looked like shoulder and front of body enough. Couldn’t see the head hit. Rule is what it is but shouldn’t unreleasables be on penalties deemed intentional? Bigger question beyond that hit though.

Seem to be getting healthier and more kids playing. Mitrow would’ve started last two years but for injuries and appears back. Knox took a lot of shots and thought he’d get a few more but that approach will pay off.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Prob worth noting 0/3 on EMO which is down to 18% on season now vs 32% for opponents (9-6 goals so only -3 on season from it all thankfully)
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

The officiating in the NEC has been a mess this year.
Much better play all around by the Statesmen today.
A little worried late , but they responded.
Excellent game for Wylie Sherman
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

I think my objection was to the unreleasable element. I didn't think that any of the penalties seemed like they were malicious and deserving of being unreleasable. Of course, the refs might have cautioned the players at various points during the game, and I was unaware since I was watching from North Carolina.

It's nice to see the games on campus and recognize the places where I spent four years of my life.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Still can’t understand how Blanchard having been knocked down from behind and stomach in ground while our wing cleanly scoops ground ball and they flag Blanchard for a unreleasable? That’s insane.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Anyone notice how we score in a tight corridor? With guys in and out of lineup all year. 13, 12, 13, 11, 12, 14. At times some games seem like we could pull away and out up north of 15 but haven’t had full personnel and put it together in one game. Even today where Mott and Madonna were lights out (9/18) the combined Archer/Knox/Simas gave us a collective 1/21 even if Knox shot well today IMO. They contributed for sure with 5 assists, 7gbs vs 4tos which is the difference between a win and a loss often getting the non scoring help on those days. But those 5 still end up at 25% basically 10/39). We haven’t seen those 5 get 30% on 40 shots once this year but historically you’d expect that. That’s even 2 more goals today collectively.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Do we actually know who is out, short or long term, injury?

Herlihy and Romm all season.

Delaney back? Haven’t seen him but someone said they saw him step on field last week.

Is Durkin hurt? Had played in first 3-4 games but haven’t seen him since.

Meite/Ballo/Wood/Yanko/Hocheimer/Sampson/Dickson/Trujillo are all guys who got run the last two years I haven’t seen (other than a little Yanko for like two games) at all this year?

Have to assume some after Delaney here are out for one reason or another but we haven’t had opportunities to go too deep in a compressed, conf only schedule unfortunately.

Feel like we are going to have to go deeper in the conf playoffs than we have. Perhaps the last two games will allow that. Or we could pick up a last second matchup w Cuse or Cornell and play to win but focus on development a lot too.

Just noticed Cam Hancock isn’t on roster. Did he leave the school w Brian graduated?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Yanko wasn't dressed today. Delaney was but I didnt see him get time. Sampson out all season with ACL. Paris out for the rest of the season.
I think Bach is having a really good first year and will be a steady force in the future.
I really worry about not seeing Meite, Ballo, Trujillo. Seems like the depth could only help. Barthelme is coming on, but he hasn't hit his stride yet.
On the penalties, I agree that unreleasables should be intentional, but given the climate on head injuries, anything that snaps back the head will ne called severely. I didnt know what the heck happened to get Blanchard called. But I do think we benefit when we win solidly in games like this. Also, you couldn't pay me enough to ref. It is a thankless job, but there would be no games at all without refs.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Thanks in some of that. Didn’t ask. It assumed Ward was still recovering from that HS knee injury and wasn’t trying to focus on the FR as much other than Delaney.

Almost all of the FR and Sophs are improving and I was hot on Bach for like two years seeing some of his football film it was clearly he was fast and agile for his size. His ability to get inside and hands free is very good for a kid who I believe played a lot of attack.

Let’s not forget Durkin had comparable or better numbers Soph and Jr yr at JD to archer something like 140pta and wasn’t first team all state (small school) in 2019 sharing that attack line with Xavier Airline and Joey Spallina.

I’m sure there’s a reason Barthelme started early and is getting opportunities and had a nice goal today. Confidence (and a few mins of muscle) may be his biggest need, along with more games.

Seems like the mix of Baltzer, Driscoll and Gullace are holding down SSDM fairly well w Sherman but have heard Meite is perhaps the fastest player on the team so thought maybe he could be helpful on clears. Ballo and Trujillo May be stuck behind a ton of very good LSMs we have. Hard to say who that is playing should give up any time to see them this year other than for future development. Kewely as a FR has a played a little as well
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

I have to laugh at the comments on players and their playing time.... where are these guy? Are they hurt? Are they dressed? Hey, when you have 50+ guys on the roster it becomes very difficult, in my opinion, to manage the team. We have a lot of very good players, as the various posters have noted. Who gets playing time? My senior year we had 19 guys on the roster.... the Babe, didn't have a problem. So who plays to satisfy an ego?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Of course we have a lot of talent. Mainly trying to understand who’s fully available and who isn’t. I mean in the extreme if we didn’t know anyone was injured we’d be wondering why John Herlihy isn’t playing....
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Watching ydays game, 4 things stood out. Our shooting was off. Placement was nowhere , or easily read by Mack's goalie. Key players need to stay late and work on ALL their shots. Secondly, too many passes look like dying quails. and the guy on the receiving end has to hope he reads the bounce right. Take some of the whip out of the sticks and you'll have a lot better results both passing and shooting. Third, we still coughed up the ball after a "successful" clear 4 or 5 times. Simple passes to the offense have to be easier than they make it. Spacing is key as we had 2 or 3 guys within 5 yards of each other. Last, why is our d allowing backdoor cuts leaving Holtby alone to make the save? This has been an issue for years.
Still, it was a good gritty win. the team had what has become their usual Q3 lapses. This time, they stopped it in time. Excellent pressure and good GB work helped tremendously. We now have a 2 headed monster at the dot with Shea and Blanchard. Seeing what a healthy Tom Mott can do has been a major plus. Now if Knox could sink a few more it will make our offense something to be respected. Hope we get to play Wagner on Tuesday to get some more guys some PT. We will need everyone in the NEC tournament.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Don’t forget Madonna. I was bummed he had a slow start to the season w 7pts theough 4 games (3,4)After demonstrating his ability in 2019-2020 and now 2 games and 12pts later he’s someone that maybe St Joes didn’t game plan for but will now and teams needing to focus 4-5 deep is a huge difference over 1-3 which m is what we kind of had to start the year. Can see the difference between SHU (Lilberg and Edwards) or Mack (Rooney’s and maybe black though I was expecting more form him for first time I saw him) where you focus on 2-3 guys and they can’t get past ten goals. Our top five scorers shot 25% on sat but Madonna and Mott were 50% (9/18). When teams have to worry about guys they can’t pole is where we should’ve been and need to be.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

SMAIN wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:14 pm I have to laugh at the comments on players and their playing time.... where are these guy? Are they hurt? Are they dressed? Hey, when you have 50+ guys on the roster it becomes very difficult, in my opinion, to manage the team. We have a lot of very good players, as the various posters have noted. Who gets playing time? My senior year we had 19 guys on the roster.... the Babe, didn't have a problem. So who plays to satisfy an ego?
Shouldn't be so hard to manage a team with 50 players when there is a coach, two full time assistants, plus two or three "volunteers", plus trainers, strength and conditioning coaches, equipment managers, etc... Times have changed a bit since the Babe.
But more importantly, it is just general interest and specific interest in certain players. Isnt the his forum all about that? And armchair coaching?
I've been wondering about EBFs playing time. Just curious about why I haven't seen him as much this year.
Looking forward to today's game. I think we benefit from this late intense schedule. We need more game play to keep in a groove. 4 full quarters should be the goal today.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

anyone have any luck locating a viable WHWS audio feed for Ted's broadcast?

Got it thanks to Chris G:

https://whws.fm/listen/

The whws broadcast is about a full min ahead of NEC FR

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”