Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
get it to x

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by get it to x »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:48 pm
get it to x wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:27 pm STEM without math is STE.
STEAM without the “Arts” is a stem; a fragile basis for a worldview.
Would rather my airliner's wing be designed by a black Mechanical Engineering graduate than a white Doctorate in Lesbian and Gender Studies. I want access to success for everyone, so if you want to be an artist and that's your definition of success, go for it.

Anyone care to answer my original question: Is not allowing advanced math until 11th grade racist?
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

get it to x wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:06 pm
Would rather my airliner's wing be designed by a black Mechanical Engineering graduate than a white Doctorate in Lesbian and Gender Studies. I want access to success for everyone, so if you want to be an artist and that's your definition of success, go for it.

Anyone care to answer my original question: Is not allowing advanced math until 11th grade racist?
No shite you want an aeronautical engineer to design your plane. I want one who has studied engineering and some of the “arts” so they aren’t a narrow-minded pr$ck.

What does racism have to do with age “advanced” mathematics are taught? Most people’s brains aren’t ready for that level of instruction until age 17 or so.

If they are a “Srinivasa Ramanujan”-like figure they can teach themselves. Otherwise wait.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:34 pm

No shite you want an aeronautical engineer to design your plane. I want one who has studied engineering and some of the “arts” so they aren’t a narrow-minded pr$ck.

What does racism have to do with age “advanced” mathematics are taught? Most people’s brains aren’t ready for that level of instruction until age 17 or so.

If they are a “Srinivasa Ramanujan”-like figure they can teach themselves. Otherwise wait.
Math has to be taught earlier in life. How many times have you gone into a store rang up your bill and it’s $10.89 you hand the clerk $21 and they look at you like your crazy, you then have to explain just give me a $10 bill and 11 cents. Advanced math drives the algorithms in programming. You need a strong base and continue to build on that base, if you wait you fall behind.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

lagerhead wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:48 pm

Math has to be taught earlier in life. How many times have you gone into a store rang up your bill and it’s $10.89 you hand the clerk $21 and they look at you like your crazy, you then have to explain just give me a $10 bill and 11 cents. Advanced math drives the algorithms in programming. You need a strong base and continue to build on that base, if you wait you fall behind.
Sometimes I do that just to eff with the store clerks. I love seeing that deer in the headlight look that tells me automatically they know jack squat about math. It is mean but it is amusing as hell every time you have to explain the concept of change to these people. These are some of the employees who think they are worth 20 dollars an hour and would struggle to figure out change for a buck. :roll:
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

The question was about “advanced” math, not foundational basics. Reading should be taught early to encourage literacy...
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:42 pm

The question was about “advanced” math, not foundational basics. Reading should be taught early to encourage literacy...
The foundations of math are necessary to learn advanced math. Yes advanced math should be taught as early as possible. Falling behind early is a failure on teachers and parents. Math is also used in the arts.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Reading, writing and arithmetic the holy trinity when I was in catholic grammar school. Use to call em the three Rs... readin, ritin and rithmatic. Your correct, reading should be taught but it is not a big deal anymore. If you can't read at a second grade level then they will teach you in 3rd grade. If you still can't read at a 2nd grade level they will teach you in 4th grade. This inane concept continues all the way up to if you happen to graduate from HS. Then your college professors can fine tune your reading skills. Back in Catholic grammar school if you did not have the appropriate understand of reading, writing and arithmetic you would be invited back to repeat that grade all over again. In today schools teachers are told not to correct tests with red ink pens. That causes a stigma in young children that sends the wrong signal. :roll:

https://www.infobloom.com/why-are-some- ... ed-ink.htm
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Reading, writing and arithmetic the holy trinity when I was in catholic grammar school. Use to call em the three Rs... readin, ritin and rithmatic. Your correct, reading should be taught but it is not a big deal anymore. If you can't read at a second grade level then they will teach you in 3rd grade. If you still can't read at a 2nd grade level they will teach you in 4th grade. This inane concept continues all the way up to if you happen to graduate from HS. Then your college professors can fine tune your reading skills. Back in Catholic grammar school if you did not have the appropriate understand of reading, writing and arithmetic you would be invited back to repeat that grade all over again. In today schools teachers are told not to correct tests with red ink pens. That causes a stigma in young children that sends the wrong signal. :roll:

Catholic grammar school? That explains a lot; you have my sympathy.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:08 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:06 pm

Catholic grammar school? That explains a lot; you have my sympathy.
At least we learned how to read and write and do math. My sympathy goes to the kids in grammar school today who will probably never learn in 12 years of school what we were taught in 2nd grade. They will be wizards when it comes to climate change and political correctness. Sad they may never know how to spell political correctness, unless they have spell check on their laptops. :roll:
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I still don’t understand how science, technology and engineering work without it math. The stupid thing is crapping in liberal arts because it doesn’t recognize that math is just a language to explain the world, really no different than english. But hey let’s feign indignant on one topic disingenuously and then turn around and disparage lesbians studies (which I would never take but can’t dismiss as having zero value as only someone who thinks of lesbians as less human would do..).

And how it relates back to the prior post about how math isn’t important to understanding as it was conflated with all education.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I said f it after linear algebra, which was spring trimester FR year at 8:30 am Mon/weds/fri as the same days we had morning running for football at 5am and I regularly walked over in partial clothing and half slept through classes pulling a B-. Some advanced econometrics for Econ but that more about understand model error and modeling than full mathematical analysis.
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:35 pm
I still don’t understand how science, technology and engineering work without it math. The stupid thing is crapping in liberal arts because it doesn’t recognize that math is just a language to explain the world, really no different than english. But hey let’s feign indignant on one topic disingenuously and then turn around and disparage lesbians studies (which I would never take but can’t dismiss as having zero value as only someone who thinks of lesbians as less human would do..).

And how it relates back to the prior post about how math isn’t important to understanding as it was conflated with all education.
You’re right!! I almost went back and changed my post. It made the point. Just like a progressive though, taking offense on behalf of another “victim” when no offense was intended.
"I would never want to belong to a club that would have me as a member", Groucho Marx
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Kismet wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:59 pm
get it to x wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:30 pm Not only that, they also think uneducated people are easier to control and manipulate.
Perhaps that might make them Republicans..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
+1
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

get it to x wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:56 pm

You’re right!! I almost went back and changed my post. It made the point. Just like a progressive though, taking offense on behalf of another “victim” when no offense was intended.
Say what? Are you related to 6ft?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

get it to x wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:56 pm

‘Lesbian studies’ removes its majors from the world of real work, widening the chasm between them and actual jobs which exist in the real economy. Skills are qualities people are willing to pay for. Unless you want to be a porn director, lesbian studies have zero value to anyone.

Only libs keep promoting the idiocy of liberal arts, because it is but one more excuse to not be a participant in the economy.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Just not factual or intelligent. Consistent with nonsense sprayed around here but of zero value to any human being on the planet.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Presented without comment

46235697-7463-401F-A92B-5843AF2B6371.jpeg
46235697-7463-401F-A92B-5843AF2B6371.jpeg (52.92 KiB) Viewed 1907 times
RedFromMI

Post by RedFromMI »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:37 am Just not factual or intelligent. Consistent with nonsense sprayed around here but of zero value to any human being on the planet.
I doubt PB actually knows what the liberal arts are, or what is the origins of the idea. He sees the word liberal and has a conniption.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Let me put it like this. Was having a chat w a “buddy” who has a side business of the less transparent kind. Grew up in Bouldercrest, one of the toughest parts of Atlanta. Nice,thoughtful guy who I like because he is really observant and sees people and not just in a cynical manner. This guy has high school and the kind you’d see in season 4 of the wire where focus is difficult. We were discussing college costs somehow and the difference between undergrad liberal arts and generic university education setting aside class size, university focus on research and grad programs, TAs teaching up to 300 level etc at Universities. He was pretty clearly of the view that why would you pay more than a little money, not even $20k a year to get a education that’s doing accounting or anything that’s trade like and for the specific purpose of getting a job? He saw how clearly the value of learning how to think overcomes specific domain training without any input from me. I even told him in defense LibArts have gotten stupid expensive and there is a theoretical elitist element to spending four years and all that dough to learn to think and he rejected that out of hand with effectively “f**k that, if I’m spending time and money of any kind I want to become smarter as a person not just learn how to do one thing for a company that may not last 20 years.” (He added “they have a lot of girls that like to party in college too right?” Which was amazing)

So it’s not liberal arts folks that see the value it’s people that see what education is. And this guy owns 125ac of land in AL and three houses lock stock cash in his name in East atlanta (Modest homes rented under section 8 but the underlying land is appreciating fast as the area is under significant gentrification) and hes 34.

That’s as compelling as any other argument
get it to x

Post by get it to x »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:58 pm Let me put it like this. Was having a chat w a “buddy” who has a side business of the less transparent kind. Grew up in Bouldercrest, one of the toughest parts of Atlanta. Nice,thoughtful guy who I like because he is really observant and sees people and not just in a cynical manner. This guy has high school and the kind you’d see in season 4 of the wire where focus is difficult. We were discussing college costs somehow and the difference between undergrad liberal arts and generic university education setting aside class size, university focus on research and grad programs, TAs teaching up to 300 level etc at Universities. He was pretty clearly of the view that why would you pay more than a little money, not even $20k a year to get a education that’s doing accounting or anything that’s trade like and for the specific purpose of getting a job? He saw how clearly the value of learning how to think overcomes specific domain training without any input from me. I even told him in defense LibArts have gotten stupid expensive and there is a theoretical elitist element to spending four years and all that dough to learn to think and he rejected that out of hand with effectively “f**k that, if I’m spending time and money of any kind I want to become smarter as a person not just learn how to do one thing for a company that may not last 20 years.” (He added “they have a lot of girls that like to party in college too right?” Which was amazing)

So it’s not liberal arts folks that see the value it’s people that see what education is. And this guy owns 125ac of land in AL and three houses lock stock cash in his name in East atlanta (Modest homes rented under section 8 but the underlying land is appreciating fast as the area is under significant gentrification) and hes 34.

That’s as compelling as any other argument

Return to “POLITICS”