VIRGINIA Lacrosse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MDlaxfan76

Re: VIRGINIA Lacrosse

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:06 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm Don’t like to pinpoint kids. But, people are in la-la land if you think it’s just defenders in front of him. Go back & watch the game vs ND @ Klockner last year. Or look at this weeks stats. 17 goals on 40 shots, 6 saves. It’s something to take a look at if your making adjustments. What can we do to make stops on one side of the field.
You also have to consider where those shots are coming from. As a coach, we use a scatter chart after film is broken down to see the yardage and angle of shots, saves, goals.
That is a good point. Shots taken etc. & angles. So, let’s leave out VMI from 2018. The last 4 games , 3 from 2018, they have given up 47 goals. Close to 15.5 goals a game. Something has to change. Right? You don’t need scatter charts to realize things have to change.
I wouldn't go so far as to say that we in the stands know what the right moves might be in terms of personnel, as we are very likely to not have any solid insight as to what goes on in practice, who is ready and who isn't. I know I don't have that insight.

But, sure, these stats definitely need to improve...a lot... in order for UVA to win against strong opponents.

The differential is all the more striking when the opposing goalie is lighting it up.

I agree about the scatter plot, but I think you'd find that UVA's pattern of shots were not more advantageous to a tender than were Loyola's.
One goalie was hot, the other was struggling to get a save.

To be fair, Stover is a talented, mature tender who has a lot of miles behind him.
He's had his share of rough days along the way.
But right now, he looks ready to have a terrific senior season.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Yes, Stover has some seasoning. Kraus -injured, Conrad , Laviano 3-26 shooting. So, this was a factor.
molo

Post by molo »

FYI, the Lehigh game, originally scheduled for Saturday, has been moved to tomorrow due to the expected weather this weekend. I think playing a day earlier and gaining day of rest before facing a dangerous High Point team is to UVA's advantage. After the beatdown at the RAC, they should be eager to get back into action. Will the Mountain Hawks be at full strength, or are they still minus some starters?
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Getting down to a 5pm Friday game in C-ville from D.C. can be tough, 66 usually backs up early on Fridays.
Live Free or Die!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Mr3Putt wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:35 pm Yes, Stover has some seasoning. Kraus -injured, Conrad, Laviano 3-26 shooting. So, this was a factor.
+1.A huge factor.How about Slides?
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

molo wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:22 pm FYI, the Lehigh game, originally scheduled for Saturday, has been moved to tomorrow due to the expected weather this weekend. I think playing a day earlier and gaining day of rest before facing a dangerous High Point team is to UVA's advantage. After the beatdown at the RAC, they should be eager to get back into action. Will the Mountain Hawks be at full strength, or are they still minus some starters?
This is all very good for the Hoos. Lehigh is an opponent that on an even playing field, could cause problems. Now, Virginia has both the home field advantage and a circumstance that puts the Mountain Hawks a day back in preparation. Should be a relatively east W for the Cavs now.
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

It seems like a small thing to me. The Hoos lose a day of preparation also.

I don't really know what Lehigh's travel plans were, whether they planned on busing down to C-ville early Saturday morning or were going to head down to C-ville friday night and spend the night. If it was the former, the shift of game time to 5 pm would seem like a plus for Lehigh, while if it is that latter it would probably be a minus.
Live Free or Die!
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:11 am Options
Attachments
Relative easy w for the Cavs??? If Petite does not play for Lehigh that hurts, and the Friday 5 Pm game is really an advantage for the Cavs, depending on when Lehigh arrives in C'ville it could be really big. All this favors the Cavs. Unfortunately for UVA, Lehigh has a bad habit of actually playing team D. If anyone thinks this will be an easy win for UVA, you just have serious ACC bias, and have not actually watched these two teams play the last few years.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Mid 40's and rain is hardly a reason to reschedule a game these days and I am sure the game Tuesday is a factor in the decision. However both coaches have to agree to the change so my guess is that it is a good move for both teams. Personally I like any game not on a Saturday it gives me another one to watch, I would love to see more Sunday games just to mix it up.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

I am all for Friday night games.

After watching Lehigh's last game vs Hofstra...If Pettit isn't playing, it doesn't matter what type of bad defense Virginia plays, Lehigh still won't score more than 7 goals. And that is clearly not enough to beat the Hoos.

I am hoping that I am wrong because I'd love to see a competitive game. I will be tuned in.

I just read that Pettit will not be playing tonight and also that Lucas Spence is out. This game could get ugly.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

I only saw the 1st half. Did UVa start winning fo's and stop hacking arms to win in the second? Props to Rhode for trying to push the pace with his clearing passes; Lehigh is a tough team to try that against, well coached, strong dmids.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I missed the 1st half, wouldn't say they dominated face offs in the second but held their own. Lehigh helped Va out with too many TOs, they had opportunities but didn't capitalize. Actually looked to be pretty evenly matched teams, Va's a little deeper though which I think mattered as the clock was running down.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Virginia was trailing 6-3 at one point then finished on 8-2 run. Sloppiness and dumb penalties held them back in first half, low # of turnovers didn't reflect the # of dropped passes that stunted their flow but talents like Kraus and Aiken are eventually going to bite .Not sure who was missing for Lehigh but they appeared to wilt , 22 to's, 11-18 on clears, ugh. Good fogo. Know they are senior team with some advertised players but had not seen them before. Was slightly disappointed . Season still young, play by both should improve
HowieT3

Post by HowieT3 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:14 am Mid 40's and rain is hardly a reason to reschedule a game these days and I am sure the game Tuesday is a factor in the decision. However both coaches have to agree to the change so my guess is that it is a good move for both teams. Personally I like any game not on a Saturday it gives me another one to watch, I would love to see more Sunday games just to mix it up.
The forecast I saw in B'more at 6 PM on Thursday was for 1-2" of snow in Central VA. It has since been changed to rain.
52 70 72 99
03 06 11 19 21
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Lehigh per IL was missing 7 players and two starters on attack including their second leading scorer from last year. Read it very early so ...
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Did Lehigh play much zone D in this one, I know this is often a staple in their game planning.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yes.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Thanks. I figured, as Sun Tzu said...."So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak."
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Inside Lacrosse's headline:
"Virginia's Defense Takes 'Big Step Forward' in Win Against Lehigh"
- didn't Hofstra hold Lehigh to 3 last week?
Lehigh was without 2 starting attackmen also.
Live Free or Die!
laxmaven

Post by laxmaven »

OCanada wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:03 am Lehigh per IL was missing 7 players and two starters on attack including their second leading scorer from last year. Read it very early so ...
Confirmed it - heard 7 or 8 players including the two attack man.

Doesn't seem like this game proved much at all and scoring production should have been much higher.

Opposing teams know by now if they move the ball to the interior near the crease it will be easy to to move the ball unimpeded and score. I still have not seen one Hoos defenseman put anything close to resembling a body check on an opposing player or move them off their dodge line at all, even against the Lehigh easy competition.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”