GAME TALK; W&L vs Denison

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

GAME TALK; W&L vs Denison

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

First game out for Denison could be a significant advantage for the Generals...Good matchups with gunslinger Pitroff on attack and W&L’s own AJ Witherell. Also Decamp and Hodgson go toe to toe at the dot.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FannOLax

Re: GAME TALK; W&L vs Denison

Post by FannOLax »

You're probably right, Dehunts. I'll say Washington and Lee 12 Denison 9.
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Denison has won 5 of 8 since the series resumed in 2011. Big Red only graduated three seniors and has their entire offense, AA FOGO and longstick and all three of their goalies. They will be fine out of the box. Denison wins a close one at home.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Denison Lost 3 of their top defensive players, 2 all American close D men and an all American ssdm.....they also lost a promising jr midfielder Wilson to injury. Should be a good game despite losing 3 of their AA’s from last year
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Denison 12-11.
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

I like W&L in a close one. Lots of weapons.
Most interested in seeing how Denison adapts to shot clock. They have always had a methodical, patient offense that controls time of possession and wore opponents down...
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

Nothinbutthelax wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:29 am I like W&L in a close one. Lots of weapons.
Most interested in seeing how Denison adapts to shot clock. They have always had a methodical, patient offense that controls time of possession and wore opponents down...
They need to get the shot clock situation under control. We had a Generals conference call on this last night and it was decided we should recommend when this happens, all the players freeze in place, and drop their sticks so as to avoid any advance movement that would give either team an advantage, until the referee signals all go, LOL. Generals win by 2 (I hope).

valaxfan
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Looks like 30 degrees at game time.
d3commenter

Post by d3commenter »

Gennies gotta get downhill and draw slides from the midfield. Bear down, be a threat, make the hot man make a decision so it isn't so easy to deny 21 the ball. They've got the horses, let them run! Good guys 11-9

Beat your man, score a goal - number 1
- dino
NewHSCSID

Post by NewHSCSID »

I’m looking at a few things this game...

1. Who will create to get the wheels turning on offense? We’ve seen teams deny AJ the ball the first two games (and let’s be honest it’s going to be a theme this season). I expect the same from Denison without the alpha cover guy down low this year. Say what you want about some kid on the roster but Duhoksi and Sawyer are just some names on plaques in the athletic center in Granville now. Coach C will scheme something up to prevent #21 from creating tomorrow. Hamill is a distributor (and a damn good one at that), but need a hard nosed beast to utilize his frame or speed and get to the rack...that will open up a slew of options for the Generals afterwards...

2. Excited to see Hodgson vs DeCamp @ the dot. In my opinion, possession could come down to wing play / positioning. Will be key as these teams will both try to put their guys in position to scoop up contested loose balls between the lines to win possession.

3. How will Denison adapt to the new shot clock? Previous posters were right when they said Denison is traditionally a methodical offense. That’s not to say that they take the air out of the ball, but they are deliberate in their attack. Interested to see what Pitroff and Waxter can do to generate scoring opportunities with limited time.

4. Jack Taylor has been a bonified stud this year so far. Granted he has an experienced, talented defense in front of him with Broderick, Callahan, Brown, and Allison, but he’s playing lights out. Got my eye on him this year and looking to see how he handles another top 10 matchup.

5. Noticed Garrett Cannon playing some SSDM vs CNU. Curious to see how he develops into an asset in transition in the modern shot clock era. Not to mention he was standing kids up Wednesday night.

6. Greenspon looks to be gaining confidence. Having two serviceable midfield lines is an overlooked advantage at this level. As the season progresses, it will prove to help the Generals grind teams down and win close contests. Looking forward to seeing how their chemistry continues to blossom.
d3commenter

Post by d3commenter »

NewHSCSID wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:09 pm I’m looking at a few things this game...

1. Who will create to get the wheels turning on offense? We’ve seen teams deny AJ the ball the first two games (and let’s be honest it’s going to be a theme this season). I expect the same from Denison without the alpha cover guy down low this year. Say what you want about some kid on the roster but Duhoksi and Sawyer are just some names on plaques in the athletic center in Granville now. Coach C will scheme something up to prevent #21 from creating tomorrow. Hamill is a distributor (and a damn good one at that), but need a hard nosed beast to utilize his frame or speed and get to the rack...that will open up a slew of options for the Generals afterwards...

2. Excited to see Hodgson vs DeCamp @ the dot. In my opinion, possession could come down to wing play / positioning. Will be key as these teams will both try to put their guys in position to scoop up contested loose balls between the lines to win possession.

3. How will Denison adapt to the new shot clock? Previous posters were right when they said Denison is traditionally a methodical offense. That’s not to say that they take the air out of the ball, but they are deliberate in their attack. Interested to see what Pitroff and Waxter can do to generate scoring opportunities with limited time.

4. Jack Taylor has been a bonified stud this year so far. Granted he has an experienced, talented defense in front of him with Broderick, Callahan, Brown, and Allison, but he’s playing lights out. Got my eye on him this year and looking to see how he handles another top 10 matchup.

5. Noticed Garrett Cannon playing some SSDM vs CNU. Curious to see how he develops into an asset in transition in the modern shot clock era. Not to mention he was standing kids up Wednesday night.

6. Greenspon looks to be gaining confidence. Having two serviceable midfield lines is an overlooked advantage at this level. As the season progresses, it will prove to help the Generals grind teams down and win close contests. Looking forward to seeing how their chemistry continues to blossom.
Let us not forget that the away team has come away with the W in the last 4 meetings, starting with an unbelievable 8 goal performance from Cam Lewis in '15 and an unthinkable second half comeback for the boys from Lexington in '17. Those long bus rides give plenty of time for preparation and visualization...impossible not to come ready to play
oldtimelax

Post by oldtimelax »

Denison up 9-8 in 3Q....buffering problems, tough to watch.
Dehuntshigwa’es

9-8 Denison 6 min left 3rd , Denison man up . Pretty even matchup so far. Denison looks good for a first gsme
Nothinbutthelax

Post by Nothinbutthelax »

Picked it up in 3rd. Fun to watch. Where’s AJ?
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Denison wins a close one. Nice gutty comeback by the Generals in the 3rd Q.

Agree with Dehunt, Denison looked pretty good for a first game.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Surprised to see DeCamp win so few FOs for Denison, which makes the Big Red's win all the more impressive. I still have reservations about lacrosse in Feb...
Dehuntshigwa’es

While CNU was a nice win they are not a top 5-12 team which I believe both York and Denison are. Losing to both teams by one goal in the fourth qtr is heartbreaking. W&L is legit but need a way to close out these tight games. Hodgson and his wingmen had a great game. Not sure if the personnel on attack makes for the best combination. While they are loaded at midfield, they might be better served if they shortened the bench and gave fewer of the offensive mids more of a burn. Right now W&L is the best 1-2 team in the country.
Last edited by Dehuntshigwa’es on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:44 pm Right now W&L is the best 1-2 team in the country.
I couldn’t agree more. Especially seeing as how they are the only 1-2 team in DIII lacrosse.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DIII/teams

But all kidding aside, even if they weren’t the only 1-2 team, they’d be up there.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Dehuntshigwa’es

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:32 pm Surprised to see DeCamp win so few FOs for Denison, which makes the Big Red's win all the more impressive. I still have reservations about lacrosse in Feb...
Hodgson smoked them last year as well
valaxfan

Post by valaxfan »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:56 pmEspecially seeing as how they are the only 1-2 team in DIII lacrosse.
Now, that is funny stuff. Generals played closer game with AJ out, hats off to the BIG GUY for coming and playing hard.

valaxfan

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”