Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/13 ... 5724933121
Former @AmherstLacrosse goalie Gib Versfeld will head to @JHUmenslacrosse as a grad student, per @BlueStarLax. Versfeld (6'4, 210 lbs.) took over as the starter for the DIII runner-up in 2019, stopping nearly 55 percent of the shots he faced.
I assume the Annino connection helped here.

6'4'' goalie saved 55% for the D3 runner-ups in 2019. Can't hurt! Great name too.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/13 ... 5724933121
Former @AmherstLacrosse goalie Gib Versfeld will head to @JHUmenslacrosse as a grad student, per @BlueStarLax. Versfeld (6'4, 210 lbs.) took over as the starter for the DIII runner-up in 2019, stopping nearly 55 percent of the shots he faced.

6'4'' goalie saved 55% for the D3 runner-ups in 2019. Can't hurt! Great name too.
Looks like Coach will be active in the transfer game. I wonder what that means for Kirson next year.
ABClaxfan

Post by ABClaxfan »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:14 am
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:08 am https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/13 ... 5724933121

Looks like Coach will be active in the transfer game. I wonder what that means for Kirson next year.
I feel for Marcille, wonder if he'll ever get his shot
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

http://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/201 ... iii-final/

Interesting pickup. Some good quotes here.

Doubt they just hand him the job after the way Kirson has worked out for them. Marcille could get his chance. It would be negligent to not get someone for next year considering you would otherwise be going into the season with (1) unknown young goalie, (1) unknown true freshman, and (1) 5th year who you already know isn't getting the job done.
Last edited by Catbird on Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 am
flalax22 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:14 am

I feel for Marcille, wonder if he'll ever get his shot
More bodies are better I guess, but after this year (I thought Kirson would be good), I won't be optimistic about our goalie situation until I see some actual 50%+ performance. I continue to mourn the loss of Demopolous. Was convinced he was going to be the answer.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

ABClaxfan wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:23 am I feel for Marcille, wonder if he'll ever get his shot
Could be this week-end

Win one for the Gibber is a very interesting move - He played in '18 and '19 for the now Mammoths so he has one year of eligibility left so this is a stop gap if he indeed plays. If Kirson was sitting at mid 50's save percentage and gave the coaches the signal he wanted to return and passed the eye test as well - probably don't make this move. The wrinkles for '22 have offically begun - as Samuel Jackson said in Jurassic Park - "Hold on to your butts"
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Would he have 2 years if he wants it? Presumably he would get an extra year for 2020 like everyone else and Amherst is not playing in 2021 so that wouldn't count either.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:46 am Would he have 2 years if he wants it? Presumably he would get an extra year for 2020 like everyone else and Amherst is not playing in 2021 so that wouldn't count either.
He should have two years of eligibility left.

51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

oh good point - momentarily forgot he's not playing this year - so 2 years of eligibility - slightly different hue on that decision
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 am Are these guys classically trained journalists - of course not - but the journalism and news lines have clearly been blurred by web-sites, blogs, podcasts, social media etc. Journalism is the wrong word probably but they are the most recognized media outlets for lacrosse news and lacrosse opinion. So, IMO, they are somewhat subject to the integrity component of the journalism definition which is "Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on current events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence." So do I think the New York Times or the Washington Post should hire Quint/Carc/Anish because they are journalists? Absolutely not - of course not. But do I think they should be obligated to either preface pieces like they did on the Epstein thing with blinking lights that this is absolute speculation and nonsense OR maybe try to get some facts along the way? Yes. Like it or not - IL - IL's web-site and QK/Carc are how ALOT of people consume their lacrosse "news".
I fully agree with 51 here.

I will add this:

If you were to pin QK down on key people who have significantly influenced his career, there is one name that I would hope he would mention early and prominently.

In the early days of WMAR-TV coverage, QK had Scott Garceau as a mentor. He would do well to remember and apply what he learned from those days with Mr. Garceau.

I have no idea how and where Carc and Anish popped into the broadcast world. Maybe it was just volunteering, raising their hands and yelling “Me! Me! Me!” That’s sure as how hell their broadcasting comes off, centered on being the focus.

You are supposed to be the Storytellers, not the Story.

And Professionals, not Amateurs.

The one who came out of the WMAR work and learned the most from Scott Garceau and others is Mark Dixon. He gets it.
Didn't Anish win some sort of ESPN "American Idol" type stunt? That would make sense.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:02 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:42 am Are these guys classically trained journalists - of course not - but the journalism and news lines have clearly been blurred by web-sites, blogs, podcasts, social media etc. Journalism is the wrong word probably but they are the most recognized media outlets for lacrosse news and lacrosse opinion. So, IMO, they are somewhat subject to the integrity component of the journalism definition which is "Journalism is the production and distribution of reports on current events based on facts and supported with proof or evidence." So do I think the New York Times or the Washington Post should hire Quint/Carc/Anish because they are journalists? Absolutely not - of course not. But do I think they should be obligated to either preface pieces like they did on the Epstein thing with blinking lights that this is absolute speculation and nonsense OR maybe try to get some facts along the way? Yes. Like it or not - IL - IL's web-site and QK/Carc are how ALOT of people consume their lacrosse "news".

I will add this:

If you were to pin QK down on key people who have significantly influenced his career, there is one name that I would hope he would mention early and prominently.

In the early days of WMAR-TV coverage, QK had Scott Garceau as a mentor. He would do well to remember and apply what he learned from those days with Mr. Garceau.

I have no idea how and where Carc and Anish popped into the broadcast world. Maybe it was just volunteering, raising their hands and yelling “Me! Me! Me!” That’s sure as how hell their broadcasting comes off, centered on being the focus.

The one who came out of the WMAR work and learned the most from Scott Garceau and others is Mark Dixon. He gets it.
Didn't Anish win some sort of ESPN "American Idol" type stunt? That would make sense.
Good God - I didn’t think anyone could say anything that made me think less of someone, but if true, there you go. I am no fan of those Idol like broadcasts. I had to put up with that crap when I was in Korea.

What strikes me about Anish is his voice is a dead ringer for one of the earlier ESPN anchors. I forget which one - would have to look him up.
primitiveskills

Catbird wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:39 am http://www.towntopics.com/wordpress/201 ... iii-final/

Interesting pickup. Some good quotes here.

Doubt they just hand him the job after the way Kirson has worked out for them. Marcille could get his chance. It would be negligent to not get someone for next year considering you would otherwise be going into the season with (1) unknown young goalie, (1) unknown true freshman, and (1) 5th year who you already know isn't getting the job done.
Agree that it is unlikely that they would hand a D3 player who hasn't played in a couple years the reigns. They absolutely need depth at G; remember they lost 2 commits over the past year or so (Dimopoulos and DiMarsico). I suspect Marcille will get a shot this weekend and will be in good position to compete for a starting spot next year.

BTW...when I looked DiMarsico up to see where he landed (he looked really good in some all-star type games last year), it looks like he's involved in a lawsuit(!) with the University. Anyone know what that's about? Wasn't sure if it was discussed here.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 am BTW...when I looked DiMarsico up to see where he landed (he looked really good in some all-star type games last year), it looks like he's involved in a lawsuit(!) with the University. Anyone know what that's about? Wasn't sure if it was discussed here.
The court information on the internet indicates something to do with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 / Other Civil Rights. It likely had something to do with admissions, etc. The university may have reneged on something that had perhaps already been "agreed to", perhaps scholarship dollars or something along those lines very well might have something to do with the coaching staff change and an alteration of "the deal".
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

He filed it in October of 2020 and it was mediated and resolved in less than a month.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:17 am

I will add this:

Good God - I didn’t think anyone could say anything that made me think less of someone, but if true, there you go. I am no fan of those Idol like broadcasts. I had to put up with that crap when I was in Korea.

What strikes me about Anish is his voice is a dead ringer for one of the earlier ESPN anchors. I forget which one - would have to look him up.
Steve Levy

Every time I look up and expect to see Steve Levy.

And, if you only watch one YouTube video today, make it this one:

Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:28 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:34 am Much different trajectory to their season than Hop's. Coaching matters.
I would like to ask a simple question in response to this. In 2020 Towson Men's Lacrosse:
- Lost to Johns Hopkins by 8 goals
- Didn't "Should have" lost to MSM like Hopkins - Actually LOST to MSM
- Lost to Cornell by 7
- Lost to Loyola by 9
- Lost to UMBC by 5 (Doubled up 10-5)
- Lost to Gergetown by 12

Summary 0-6 - outscored by 42 goals in 6 games. So your honor - my question is this:
Why didn't the "Coaching matters" apply in this situation?
I would say a disparity in roster talent. As I recall, Towson lost a lot of players to graduation from 2019. But they were doing pretty well before that and beating HOP. I think Nads gets more out of his roster than Petro was getting out of his. That's what you want from a Coach.
You can't argue with Towson's trajectory this year. It's the opposite of Hop's trajectory.

The other issue is, any good coach knows that you adjust the system to your roster, not the roster to your system. The latter is forcing square pegs into round holes.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I will add this:

I think Scott Van pelt and others also won the american idol of announcers for espn. Was when I started pulling back from non live game events on that channel when they cared so much about themselves to create a become a new announcer program.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:39 am
primitiveskills wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:20 am BTW...when I looked DiMarsico up to see where he landed (he looked really good in some all-star type games last year), it looks like he's involved in a lawsuit(!) with the University. Anyone know what that's about? Wasn't sure if it was discussed here.
The court information on the internet indicates something to do with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 / Other Civil Rights. It likely had something to do with admissions, etc. The university may have reneged on something that had perhaps already been "agreed to", perhaps scholarship dollars or something along those lines very well might have something to do with the coaching staff change and an alteration of "the deal".
Since the court case is public I guess it's fair game to talk about it. Had nothing to do with the coaching change. The university rescinded his admission due to a video in which he used a racial slur immediately following wisdom teeth surgery. I guess he was high out of his mind (as you often are following surgery), sent the video to friends, and the university caught wind of it. He argued he shouldn't be responsible for stuff he said in that delirious state—he also apparently has ADHD and dyslexia which his lawyers claimed exacerbates the effects of those medications—and thus the school discriminated against him on the basis of his disability. Anyway, I guess the school didn't buy any of that, so he sued them and as 51 said it appears to have been quickly settled. Given that he never came back to Hopkins I would assume the settlement was purely financial. It is an unfortunate development but one the staff seemingly had zero involvement in.
primitiveskills

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:09 pm

I will add this:

I think Scott Van pelt and others also won the american idol of announcers for espn. Was when I started pulling back from non live game events on that channel when they cared so much about themselves to create a become a new announcer program.
Van Pelt actually started out on local TV and then went tothe Golf Channel and became a hot commodity after a really great interview with Tiger Woods. So he earned it the conventional way.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

To the extent they earn it at all. Never been a fan of the tool cool sports announcers. RIP STI Scott but I blame him.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”