Dartmouth 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Sportin' Life

Re: Dartmouth 2021

Post by Sportin' Life »

The Big Green is slated to host Tufts on Sun. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kend/57733
Finish Strong
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sportin' Life wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 pm The Big Green is slated to host Tufts on Sun. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kend/57733
Considering The Big Green's probable rustiness and the quality of opponent, this should be a very tough test for Dartmouth. Kudos to whatever powers approved this game in spite of the arbitrary 40-mile radius restriction that was originally announced. I have to say that I love the return of D1 v D3 games; some of the first lax games I watched as I child were D1-D3 match-ups that could have happened only in lacrosse. Go Green!
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:07 pm
Sportin' Life wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:45 pm The Big Green is slated to host Tufts on Sun. https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... kend/57733
Considering The Big Green's probable rustiness and the quality of opponent, this should be a very tough test for Dartmouth. Kudos to whatever powers approved this game in spite of the arbitrary 40-mile radius restriction that was originally announced. I have to say that I love the return of D1 v D3 games; some of the first lax games I watched as I child were D1-D3 match-ups that could have happened only in lacrosse. Go Green!
What's the deal with Dartmouth players available to play with Covid and opt outs, etc.? Last Sunday, there were 14-15 subs on Wesleyan's bench when Tufts played due to opt outs.
Razor21

Post by Razor21 »

They have about 25 players. All the freshman, 3 sophomores, 5 juniors and 3 seniors. They are really thin but any chance to play is a good thing.
Heyward

Post by Heyward »

Interestingly, Tufts has according to Wikipedia around 1200 more undergrads than Dartmouth. Clearly, D3 and D1 are distinguished by something other that the presumed size of the student body.
Unknown Participant

Heyward wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm Interestingly, Tufts has according to Wikipedia around 1200 more undergrads than Dartmouth. Clearly, D3 and D1 are distinguished by something other that the presumed size of the student body.
This is kind of an ignorant post.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:43 pm
Heyward wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:34 pm Interestingly, Tufts has according to Wikipedia around 1200 more undergrads than Dartmouth. Clearly, D3 and D1 are distinguished by something other that the presumed size of the student body.
Not sure what makes it "ignorant" as it's pretty accurate. That said, not sure I understand what Heyward means to suggest by the second sentence.

As this is the Dartmouth thread and I'm a Dartmouth alum, and though Dartmouth is a small college, there are those who love it... ;) let me say to any Tufts fans or NESCAC fans or DIII fans, Tufts is a great college and has a top rate lacrosse program. Any kid would be immensely lucky to study there, play lax there. But for the flip of a coin, a lot of Ivy players would fit in very well.

My son's Harvard team a few years ago scrimmaged Tufts one preseason and had a heck of game with them. Tufts was at the top of DIII at the time and were terrifically talented. Harvard won it that day, but my son reported they could sling it with the best, on any given day. He played a lot of summer ball with Stevenson and Salisbury guys and likewise, it was clear those guys could run with the best as well. Certainly individually. Now, Stevenson/Salisbury and Tufts (and other NESCAC's) are not exactly the same academically, but the caliber of play is first rate.

As to this particular contest, it means absolutely nothing more than a bunch of young men are going to get to run around and have some fun with one another...far too little of that this past year!

Have fun guys, play hard, and appreciate the chance to get after it. You'll some day have a beer with your opponents and know that you are comrades at arms.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unknown Participant

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:37 pm
Not sure what makes it "ignorant" as it's pretty accurate. That said, not sure I understand what Heyward means to suggest by the second sentence.

As this is the Dartmouth thread and I'm a Dartmouth alum, and though Dartmouth is a small college, there are those who love it... ;) let me say to any Tufts fans or NECAC fans or DIII fans, Tufts is a great college and has a top rate lacrosse program. Any kid would be immensely lucky to study there, play lax there. But for the flip of a coin, a lot of Ivy players would fit in very well.

My son's Harvard team a few years ago scrimmaged Tufts one preseason and had a heck of game with them. Tufts was at the top of DIII at the time and were terrifically talented. Harvard won it that day, but my son reported they could sling it with the best, on any given day. He played a lot of summer ball with Stevenson and Salisbury guys and likewise, it was clear those guys could run with the best as well. Certainly individually. Now, Stevenson/Salisbury and Tufts (and other NESCAC's) are not exactly the same academically, but the caliber of play is first rate.

As to this particular contest, it means absolutely nothing more than a bunch of young men are going to get to run around and have some fun with one another...far too little of that this past year!

Have fun guys, play hard, and appreciate the chance to get after it. You'll some day have a beer with your opponents and know that you are comrades at arms.
There is a pretty big chasm between Stevenson/Salisbury and Dartmouth academically, not so sure that is the case with all the Nescacs and certainly not with the top tier, as an FYI.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:55 pm

As this is the Dartmouth thread and I'm a Dartmouth alum, and though Dartmouth is a small college, there are those who love it... ;) let me say to any Tufts fans or NECAC fans or DIII fans, Tufts is a great college and has a top rate lacrosse program. Any kid would be immensely lucky to study there, play lax there. But for the flip of a coin, a lot of Ivy players would fit in very well.

There is a pretty big chasm between Stevenson/Salisbury and Dartmouth academically, not so sure that is the case with all the Nescacs and certainly not with the top tier, as an FYI.
Can't really follow what you mean here. There is a huge chasm between Stevenson/Salisbury and any NESCAC academically. And, obviously, while many large schools are D1 and many small are D3, student body size itself is not a criteria in any sport for which division schools play in.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Absolutely...quite comparable.

Terrifically good schools.
My son looked hard at multiple NESCAC's (and W&L) as well as the Ivies.
As I said, but for the flip of a coin practically.

Personally, I like the DIII model that limits even further the amount of practice time commitment to a sport, better enabling multiple sports or other activities. My god-daughter was captain of both field hockey and lax teams at Middlebury.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:15 pm

Can't really follow what you mean here. There is a huge chasm between Stevenson/Salisbury and any NESCAC academically. And, obviously, while many large schools are D1 and many small are D3, student body size itself is not a criteria in any sport for which division schools play in.
I think he meant between the comparison to be between Dartmouth and for that matter other Ivies and the top NESCACS like Amherst, Williams, etc...not a big difference academically... Stevenson/Salisbury a whole different ballgame so to speak.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Ah, that makes more sense. Certainly, the top NESCACs are the equal of any school academically. Tough matchup for Dartmouth with such a young team vs very veteran Tufts team but it will be a great opportunity for a bunch of freshman to get on the field and no one every really knows what will happen after the whistle blows.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I’m curious what you guys mean by “academically”. Is this code for stratification based on perceived intellectual ability? Or more socio-economic?

I’m pretty sure most subjects are the same regardless of the instructional venue.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Looking at "selectivity" as a proxy for academic competitiveness:

Williams admits approximately 3.06% of students who apply

Amherst admits approximately 4.4% of students who apply

Dartmouth College admits approximately 7.9% of students who apply

Actual "matriculation rates" may be lower when decision time comes around, since the most academically competitive students may have multiple offers of admission.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am Looking at "selectivity" as a proxy for academic competitiveness:

Actual "matriculation rates" may be lower when decision time comes around, since the most academically competitive students may have multiple offers of admission.
well, definitely one proxy...but need to get the #'s straight from the last normal cycle:

Amherst 11.3% acceptance rate.
Williams 12.6%

Dartmouth 7.9%
Harvard 4.6%
Cornell 10.9%
Princeton 5.8%

And then there's the average SAT, ACT, etc.

these are all super selective schools...by comparison:

Ohio State 53.7%
Penn State 75.9%
Stevenson 80.8%
Salisbury 73.5%

https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... niversity/

But note that the current application year is off the charts worse at these "most selective" schools. Huge increases in application #'s at the most selective, brand name colleges and universities, and lower raw #'s of acceptances. Logjam due to Covid effect (lots of gap year and take a term or two off upper class students...so, less 'room at the inn' for new students) and more time for top HS seniors to apply to more schools.

This is less extreme at less selective schools, but a factor all over.

PS, you may have meant that Williams and Amherst matriculate that rate of those who apply as opposed to those they offer admission. Your Dartmouth % was admit rate was correct.
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:35 am
faircornell wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:02 am Looking at "selectivity" as a proxy for academic competitiveness:

well, definitely one proxy...but need to get the #'s straight from the last normal cycle:

Amherst 11.3% acceptance rate.
Williams 12.6%

Dartmouth 7.9%
Harvard 4.6%
Cornell 10.9%
Princeton 5.8%

And then there's the average SAT, ACT, etc.

these are super selective schools...by comparison:

Ohio State 53.7%
Penn State 75.9%
Stevenson 80.8%
Salisbury 73.5%

https://www.collegesimply.com/colleges/ ... niversity/

But note that the current application year is off the charts worse at these "most selective" schools. Huge increases in application #'s at the most selective, brand name colleges and universities, and lower raw #'s of acceptances. Logjam due to Covid effect (lots of gap year and take a term or two off upper class students...so, less 'room at the inn' for new students) and more time for top HS seniors to apply to more schools.

This is less extreme at less selective schools, but a factor all over.

PS, you may have meant that Williams and Amherst matriculate that rate of those who apply as opposed to those they offer admission. Your Dartmouth % was admit rate, so correct.
Thanks for your clarifications! I pulled these from the internet too quickly. I know that Cornell's eventual matriculation rate drop to about 50% of its acceptance rate as admits head off to HYP, Stanford, MIT and other Ivies or equivalents.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

This is great, let the kids play! Most likely a few kids on both rosters that considered the other.

My gut says Tufts by a bunch. They have already played a few games and posted 20+ goals. Dartmouth has had limited practice time with limited roster, from an already young (albeit talented) squad. Tufts is also very hard to scout, Dartmouth sees a bit of it when playing Brown, but even Brown reels it in a bit. The Jumbos just run and shoot as many times as possible. Your game plan cannot be just stop their transition, they are so good at creating transition at all times, especially when you least expect it.

But when it all is said and done. I love this. We always wonder about the di vs diii matchup, well here we go! (sort of)
Toplucy15

Post by Toplucy15 »

Dartmouth vs Tufts top 3 D3 team
Dartmouth vs Saint A's a top 20 D2 team

Thoughts on outcome?
Unknown Participant

So MD laxfan ...

What did you mean by this?:

"Now, ....... Tufts (and other NESCAC's) are not exactly the same academically [as Dartmouth]"
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

life is getting back to some semblance of normal. academic pissing contests on the ivy threads.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”