Syracuse 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Syracuse 2021

Post by DMac »

No Phaup from early in the 3rd on. Nice move JD, other FOGOs held their own, got some experience and Phaup saved a little wear and tear.
Really like Cuse coming from behind the cage a whole lot more this year, right my alley. Not a big fan of creating from up top, just think it's more effective coming from behind. Definitely got the sticks and personnel to come from there.
Hiltz is just flat out pretty to watch, what a great stick and set of eyes that kid's got.
Actually enjoyed a Carc story today when he was talking about Alfie and the Medicine Game. Feel lucky to call Alfie a friend, have spent a lot of time in his shop passing time and listening to stories (watching the stick making too, of course). Am not much of a spiritual person but there is a definite spirit in that shop and in the sticks Alfie makes, understand what he was saying.
Denver14

Post by Denver14 »

15 goals. That was a lovely way to honor a teammate.
greenielax

Post by greenielax »

Anyone know why Buttermore didn't play against HC?
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

greenielax wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 pm Anyone know why Buttermore didn't play against HC?
He was dealing with an injury (never heard what it was exactly) but apparently he'll be back this week.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Denver14 wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:27 pm 15 goals. That was a lovely way to honor a teammate.
https://www.gofundme.com/f/Our-Village- ... hare-sheet
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Both teams coming off of tough losses last weekend, to say this game is pretty big seems like an understatement.
Buttermore was listed as healthy but never got on the field last week, maybe he's a go this week? 2nd line actually did better at least early on against Duke. It feels like Trimboli hasn't really established himself yet this year so maybe this is the game he goes off?
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:38 am
tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:27 am
Ketch wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:15 am
catchnshoot wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 am The last thing this team needs is a spur of the moment games with Cuse
The way they are clearing they may never get the ball out of our own end of the field
Would be a complete rout
I agree. Would be a bloodbath.
No offense but SU may need a higher profile team as a last resort ticket should they stumble with the next couple games.
wouldn't think they would have many options on that.
hofstra, bryant, delaware, lehigh and drexel are most of the list. and i'd suspect from that group they'd rather be prepping for their tourneys and possible aq.

primary considerations are probably:
- proximity
- get a win to guarantee .500 and let chips fall

so from what is said above (haven't seen them play), hobart might qualify best.

interesting that 'cuse has been mum on the subject best i can tell.
I would bet they're focusing on UNC and nothing else at this point.

They have UNC, UVA, then ND again. What do you predict for the Orange with that gauntlet of games wgdsr?

They have to win at least one or it's going to get very uncomfortable.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:56 am
catchnshoot wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:50 am The last thing this team needs is a spur of the moment games with Cuse
The way they are clearing they may never get the ball out of our own end of the field
Would be a complete rout
No offense but SU may need a higher profile team as a last resort ticket should they stumble with the next couple games.
hofstra, bryant, delaware, lehigh and drexel are most of the list. and i'd suspect from that group they'd rather be prepping for their tourneys and possible aq.

- proximity

They have UNC, UVA, then ND again. What do you predict for the Orange with that gauntlet of games wgdsr?

they have to win one or get another game or they're 5 and 6 and 99% out. even in a covid-eye-test year, have to believe there's no way that cuts it.

of course they're focused on this weekend as they should be. if it doesn't happen, things will get uncomfortable quick. and maybe they have something provisionally lined up and haven't announced pending saturday.

no predictions. my only idea was that no one was going undefeated in the acc this year, too many loaded teams. so i'm done predicting.

if i were coaching, i'd be dismayed at the ability to identify hedge/1st slide/cover 2nd slide on d. 1st game out of the chute, ok. but we're getting on now. would be slow to go, tell my d to play best position possible on ball, pack it in adjacent some and let the drake track shooters. unless they can turn around the x, even their efficient offense won't have enough possessions if they can't get stops. and the sliding and ball watching isn't working. best matchup is vs. uva's d mids offensively, but unc at home is an edge and a good matchup for cuse's d mids vs unc's big bodies.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am
Would be a complete rout

- proximity

they have to win one or get another game or they're 5 and 6 and 99% out. even in a covid-eye-test year, have to believe there's no way that cuts it.

of course they're focused on this weekend as they should be. if it doesn't happen, things will get uncomfortable quick. and maybe they have something provisionally lined up and haven't announced pending saturday.

no predictions. my only idea was that no one was going undefeated in the acc this year, too many loaded teams. so i'm done predicting.

if i were coaching, i'd be dismayed at the ability to identify hedge/1st slide/cover 2nd slide on d. 1st game out of the chute, ok. but we're getting on now. would be slow to go, tell my d to play best position possible on ball, pack it in adjacent some and let the drake track shooters. unless they can turn around the x, even their efficient offense won't have enough possessions if they can't get stops. and the sliding and ball watching isn't working. best matchup is vs. uva's d mids offensively, but unc at home is an edge and a good matchup for cuse's d mids vs unc's big bodies.
Agree with most but not sure UNC @ home is much of an edge since SU was handled two times @ home this season. What may be an edge is UNC on a bit of a slide after they were looking invincible.

Wykoff on Gray will be interesting too.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

tech37 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:26 pm
wgdsr wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 11:51 am
Would be a complete rout

- proximity

Agree with most but not sure UNC @ home is much of an edge since SU was handled two times @ home this season. What may be an edge is UNC on a bit of a slide after they were looking invincible.

Wykoff on Gray will be interesting too.
those were year in year out 2 of the best defenses in the country. unc is not that.
if you were ranking the other 4 acc faceoff crews, unc would be last. an achilles heel for the cuse so far.
throw in a frosh goalie (from the island), whose been solid, in his first trek to the dome and they should be able to have the ball some and get to him. the dome's not as tough on goalies since the buzzing left the building and in particular the endzone tarp, but still it'll be all new. not sure if they're flying or (gulp) driving.

this weekend might be best chance. a little desperation for motivation but not desperate.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Nothing (yet) on Cuse board re Aviles and Dipietro availability for UVA game. Among other, SU will need them to solve staunch UVA ride.

Please post any info if/when available.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

Scanlan suspended. Oh boy.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Things are beginning to feel very late stage Starsia and Petro with the Cuse
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 am Things are beginning to feel very late stage Starsia and Petro with the Cuse

Desko more in charge of the program and boys than those guys were at the end.

But I get your point.
georgeoar394

Post by georgeoar394 »

Assuming it's gotta be either covid protocol related or things just got heated after such a sh** game among players/coaches? Anyone have inside access?
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 am
jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:36 am Things are beginning to feel very late stage Starsia and Petro with the Cuse

Desko more in charge of the program and boys than those guys were at the end.

But I get your point.
Is he? He just had to suspend one of his best players with 3 weeks left in the season. There was that situation at the beginning of the year where Rehfuss and other players were in the portal for something and then backed out.

That’s why I said it. He doesn’t feel totally in control of things anymore
DMac

Post by DMac »

Scanlan out indefinitely for "an incident" after the ND game. The Cuse meltdown continues.
Don't see this as a big loss. "Star" my asz.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... ended.html
calourie

Post by calourie »

I'm going to venture that some of Syracuse's problems come from unrealistic expectations. The addition of Scanlon last year and then receiving an unofficial #1 end of season ranking after going 5-0 in an abbreviated season with no significant victories, leading to a preseason best in ACC as well as the country expectation can do that to a team. Throw in Carc's this team having a "championship or bust" mentality early on when this was still a possibility even after the Army debacle wasn't helpful. I'm reminded of Jim Mora's "you are what your record says you are" which is probably a pretty tough pill to swallow for such a proud program and the players in it. I've always liked Desko, who to my thinking tends to be a straight shooter with the media, win or lose, but even he seems to have been swept up early on with the preseason hype iinto thinking he had a more competitive ACC team than it turns out he does have. I wouldn't put it past him to pull out a little magic and win one or even both of his remaining tests against UVA and Notre Dame, but if he loses both I don't think we will have seen the end of doubts about his prowess and control over the program.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:05 pm Scanlan out indefinitely for "an incident" after the ND game. The Cuse meltdown continues.
Don't see this as a big loss. "Star" my asz.
https://www.syracuse.com/orangelacrosse ... ended.html

If anyone could copy and paste that article, that would be great. It’s behind a registration wall. Thanks.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Argh... keep movin on...

I agree with fans already posting on Cuse board that Seebold will move to attack and Buttermore runs with Quinn and Cook on 2nds.

We'll see

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”