Ivy League 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Ivy League 2021

Post by wgdsr »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:10 am
smoova wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm
Neverplaydown wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:22 pm I never went to college. I went to work and ended up running 2 very profitable businesses. I have 5 kids that all went to the so called higher education. I have 2 points. First the Ives absolutely blew this. Mighty than all, but you all look like fools to have not let the kids play. 2nd point is kids make it in this world with hard work, not with what’s given to them. I would hire a CAA player over and ivy kid. kid.
Nonsense - you'd interview both, evaluate their skills/experience, determine whether they pass the "beer" test and hire the one you felt was the best fit for the position. I do find it fascinating, though, that you think Ivy grads are unlikely to be hard workers ... or at least less hard-working than CAA kids.

Full disclosure: I graduated from a service academy and am one of the laziest SOBs around.
I wonder what other group of people he would lump all together and not hire.
not a chance i'd hire anybody on fanlax.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

wgdsr wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:17 am
Neverplaydown wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:22 pm I never went to college. I went to work and ended up running 2 very profitable businesses. I have 5 kids that all went to the so called higher education. I have 2 points. First the Ives absolutely blew this. Mighty than all, but you all look like fools to have not let the kids play. 2nd point is kids make it in this world with hard work, not with what’s given to them. I would hire a CAA player over and ivy kid. kid.
Nonsense - you'd interview both, evaluate their skills/experience, determine whether they pass the "beer" test and hire the one you felt was the best fit for the position. I do find it fascinating, though, that you think Ivy grads are unlikely to be hard workers ... or at least less hard-working than CAA kids.

Full disclosure: I graduated from a service academy and am one of the laziest SOBs around.
Some I definitely wouldn’t hire.
“I wish you would!”
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

How would you know if they were FanLax posters?

Think they would tell you?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Including yourself
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PizzaSnake wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:05 pm

How would you know if they were FanLax posters?

Think they would tell you?
Well if one walked in and started speaking like a drunken Dr Suess I’d have an idea...
smoova

Post by smoova »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:11 pm Well if one walked in and started speaking like a drunken Dr Suess I’d have an idea...
That was magnificent.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Lazy is not the worst thing ...
“I divide my officers into four groups. There are clever, diligent, stupid, and lazy officers. Usually two characteristics are combined. Some are clever and diligent — their place is the General Staff. The next lot are stupid and lazy — they make up 90% of every army and are suited to routine duties. Anyone who is both clever and lazy is qualified for the highest leadership duties, because he possesses the intellectual clarity and the composure necessary for difficult decisions. One must beware of anyone who is stupid and diligent — he must not be entrusted with any responsibility because he will always cause only mischief.”
https://news.clearancejobs.com/2019/10/ ... -and-lazy/
According to Larry Wall(1), the original author of the Perl programming language, there are three great virtues of a programmer; Laziness, Impatience and Hubris

Laziness: The quality that makes you go to great effort to reduce overall energy expenditure. It makes you write labor-saving programs that other people will find useful and document what you wrote so you don't have to answer so many questions about it.
Impatience: The anger you feel when the computer is being lazy. This makes you write programs that don't just react to your needs, but actually anticipate them. Or at least pretend to.
Hubris: The quality that makes you write (and maintain) programs that other people won't want to say bad things about.
http://threevirtues.com/
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

I don’t think that first part defines laziness very well if you have to work to be lazy.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

He makes a point. Maybe a little too broad. But, he has a point. Absolutely most worthless person I had to work with was an Ivy grad—undergrad and post-grad degrees. No common sense and an inability to understand how to navigate an important issue. I — and my colleagues — gave up. Not sure what happened to that person but they were not cut out for real world issues, despite having spent about a half a million dollars on higher education. What is being taught or learned sometimes is pretty useless in the real world.

I would not write off anyone because of where they went to college but it’s a fair point that not all Ivy leaguers have the aptitude to make the almighty buck. Oftentimes the B+ kid at a good public university has the stuff to get things done in the real world.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

CharmCityLaxMan wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:16 am

He makes a point. Maybe a little too broad. But, he has a point. Absolutely most worthless person I had to work with was an Ivy grad—undergrad and post-grad degrees. No common sense and an inability to understand how to navigate an important issue. I — and my colleagues — gave up. Not sure what happened to that person but they were not cut out for real world issues, despite having spent about a half a million dollars on higher education. What is being taught or learned sometimes is pretty useless in the real world.

I would not write off anyone because of where they went to college but it’s a fair point that not all Ivy leaguers have the aptitude to make the almighty buck. Oftentimes the B+ kid at a good public university has the stuff to get things done in the real world.
Not sure anyone has said otherwise. An absolutely good for nothing that I know was a USAF Academy grad. I don’t lump people together. You can find good people in plenty of places. I know some Ohio State “grads” you wouldn’t want to “work” with.
“I wish you would!”
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Penn appears to be playing (DIII) Cabrini this Friday.

https://pennathletics.com/sports/mens-lacrosse/schedule

https://cabriniathletics.com/sports/men ... edule/2021

Hopefully there will be a feed available.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Sure looks like there will be a live stream (D3 home teams typically provide). Wonder if Penn can pick up a few more games.
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm Penn appears to be playing (DIII) Cabrini this Friday.

Sweet. Can’t wait to see what Handley and company look like.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DeepPocket wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:44 pm Penn appears to be playing (DIII) Cabrini this Friday.

quint says cuse probably needs a may 8 game. Wonder who lines up for that.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Le Moyne? RIT? St John Fisher? Ithaca? Cortland?

It’s not like they wouldn’t have (local) options.
Last edited by DeepPocket on Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They could play West Genny.
HU34

Post by HU34 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:36 pm

If a top seed loses in CAA semifinals they should be all over that.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Actual lacrosse posts!!

👏👏👏👏👏
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it does always make me laugh when quint and other media are quoted, as if that certifies it.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:11 pm

it does always make me laugh when quint and other media are quoted, as if that certifies it.
I’m always down for a quint or espn jab; but if they go 5-6 they’ll be ineligible for the tournament and they do have an open date on 5/8 that they’ll need to win a game for to be eligible for an AL

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”