Loyola Greyhounds 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
NovaHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2021

Post by NovaHound »

Can anyone say Kyle LeBlanc and Joey Kamish. That’s as good a reason Hounds dropped this game. Missing 2 key components. Oh well, on to Lafayette.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

NovaHound wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:24 am Can anyone say Kyle LeBlanc and Joey Kamish. That’s as good a reason Hounds dropped this game. Missing 2 key components. Oh well, on to Lafayette.
Wishing them both a successful recovery and return for the 2022 season...Two of our best according to our staff and we miss them...it showed.

With that said, the rest of the guys need to figure it out and compete and finish this season...Every game is important.

As you say, on to Lafayette...

Disappointing year...no debating that...
Garygreyhound

Post by Garygreyhound »

Relatively new to the Greyhound family. I have two children who play D1 lacrosse and two completely different experiences playing out simultaneously. We are incredibly unimpressed with how this season has played out. For starters, there has been almost no communication between coaching staff and families. The team is fractured beyond belief and “pods” have turned into cliques. Leadership from team captains is questionable as I’m sure they aren’t strong enough to speak up and advocate for players. There was an earlier discussion about kids entering the transfer portal. We attended this weekends game against Navy and I’m here to tell you, there was a lot of conversation about kids transferring and for various reasons. Lack of leadership on the team and apparently all of the seniors who were feted will be returning next year which may or may not be a good idea. If I ran my business the way this team seems to be operating , I would be out of business. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Imagine being one of the kids on the sidelines or with a couple of runs watching the game unfold every week. They are essentially being told that these 15 players are the best Loyola has to offer, they are not trusted to make a difference and the team is incapable or afraid of change. There is absolutely no ingenuity. The only passion on display was from Navy. They deserved the win. I understand we are down two key players but you would think at this level, you have others more than able to step up. Personally, I think Vanarsdale needs some new tricks up his sleeve instead of his current strategy of slinging jello at a wall each week and hope something sticks.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Takes from the Navy Game:

Offense:
1. Missing Kamish hurt.
2. There is player development on this team. We have seen no improvement of the middies. they do not produce, they do not created doubles, they cannot beat their man one on one. This comes down to coaching. Vanarsdale has failed here. There is a reason UVA's offense has shown growth in the last 3 years and Loyola's has diminished
3. Teams have figured out to lock down our attack and force the middies to beat you.
4. We cannot play with an aggressive physical team.
5. Turnovers turnovers turnovers

Defense:
1. Missing Lablanc hurts, we saw it with man down, timing and communication off. Railey did a good job, but just out of sync.
2. SSDMs, Higgens and Benus solid
3. Wyers, like his aggressiveness, but needs to control the stick
4. Goalies.... Schafer came in and sparked the come back with some saves. Whitiker did not do a bad job.

FOGO:
1. Struggled with positioning and had little or no help from the wings. You know you are struggling when they bring in Swindell to run the wing.

Coaching:
1. This loss falls squarely on them. The team was not prepared, period.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Not sure Toomey participates in transfer market but expect to see alot of decent players enter portal this offseason that could address outlined deficiencies . Loyola is a attractive destination on a few fronts.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

That's a good way of looking at it. We all know the drill. About half of any team will get significant playing time. That leaves 20+ other players standing on the sideline, contributing and working hard in practice (in theory) but who might only get time on the field in a blowout game - of which there were none this season really (except maybe Utah/Bucknell). Players will tell you that their team mates who don't get a lot of playing time are happy as long as the team is winning. When you begin losing that's a different story.

The biggest disappointment this year is that there aren't enough W's and it's been a strange year and a half. Nothing is normal and everyone is trying hard to make it work. Cliques or Pods are the result of COVID practices and protocols. No one wants that but that is the hand these players and coaches were dealt. Could things be better? Sure. Hounds could have more Wins. Loyola could have fans at the games and a home field advantage. The team could have normal practices. Fans and family could meet our friends and their players after the game.

I really feel bad for the Freshman and Sophomores on this team, and their families. Nothing has been normal. And these players, at least the Sophomores on up, will get another year if they want it. I don't think the Patriot League lets you redshirt unless it is for a medical reason. From what I hear, A lot of the Seniors will be back. Some won't. So I guess if a player feels he'll be better off someplace else then go for it. I understand. but the grass isn't always greener. Loyola is still a coveted school to attend academically and athletically. There were also a large number of injuries, perhaps more than in other years.

Now for some lacrosse news. I hear Loyola will play Navy again in the first round in the PL tournament. Army and Lehigh get a bye. Navy is a good team and its mission has been to beat Loyola for the past two years. Forget Army. They wanted to beat Loyola and even had the T-Shirts. It was going to happen and now Navy can build its program back and the future games between Navy and Loyola will be intense. Navy, after all, has one of the top recruiting classes according to IL. I hope the game is at Navy so I can attend along with many others. Loyola will beat Navy this time.

My last point is that I thought I saw Poitras running more at Attack and Evan James working more as a Middle in the 2nd half, spurring that 6-0 run. Maybe the coaches do have a clue :lol:
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

NovaHound wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm That's a good way of looking at it. We all know the drill. About half of any team will get significant playing time. That leaves 20+ other players standing on the sideline, contributing and working hard in practice (in theory) but who might only get time on the field in a blowout game - of which there were none this season really (except maybe Utah/Bucknell). Players will tell you that their team mates who don't get a lot of playing time are happy as long as the team is winning. When you begin losing that's a different story.

The biggest disappointment this year is that there aren't enough W's and it's been a strange year and a half. Nothing is normal and everyone is trying hard to make it work. Cliques or Pods are the result of COVID practices and protocols. No one wants that but that is the hand these players and coaches were dealt. Could things be better? Sure. Hounds could have more Wins. Loyola could have fans at the games and a home field advantage. The team could have normal practices. Fans and family could meet our friends and their players after the game.

I really feel bad for the Freshman and Sophomores on this team, and their families. Nothing has been normal. And these players, at least the Sophomores on up, will get another year if they want it. I don't think the Patriot League lets you redshirt unless it is for a medical reason. From what I hear, A lot of the Seniors will be back. Some won't. So I guess if a player feels he'll be better off someplace else then go for it. I understand. but the grass isn't always greener. Loyola is still a coveted school to attend academically and athletically. There were also a large number of injuries, perhaps more than in other years.

Now for some lacrosse news. I hear Loyola will play Navy again in the first round in the PL tournament. Army and Lehigh get a bye. Navy is a good team and its mission has been to beat Loyola for the past two years. Forget Army. They wanted to beat Loyola and even had the T-Shirts. It was going to happen and now Navy can build its program back and the future games between Navy and Loyola will be intense. Navy, after all, has one of the top recruiting classes according to IL. I hope the game is at Navy so I can attend along with many others. Loyola will beat Navy this time.

My last point is that I thought I saw Poitras running more at Attack and Evan James working more as a Middle in the 2nd half, spurring that 6-0 run. Maybe the coaches do have a clue :lol:
Hellooo??? how does this work? I thought Loyola is the #2 seed, don't they ply the #1 seed which is Lehigh or Army in the first Semi final round?
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

houndace1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:39 pm
NovaHound wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:54 pm That's a good way of looking at it. We all know the drill. About half of any team will get significant playing time. That leaves 20+ other players standing on the sideline, contributing and working hard in practice (in theory) but who might only get time on the field in a blowout game - of which there were none this season really (except maybe Utah/Bucknell). Players will tell you that their team mates who don't get a lot of playing time are happy as long as the team is winning. When you begin losing that's a different story.

Hellooo??? how does this work? I thought Loyola is the #2 seed, don't they ply the #1 seed which is Lehigh or Army in the first Semi final round?
This is not correct. It is a 4-team tournament this year - Lehigh, Army, BU, and Loyola. Navy is out. Loyola will be the #3 or #4 seed and face Army or Lehigh in the semifinals.

https://patriotleague.org/tournaments/?id=317
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Heard the same about tourney. Playing Tuesday afternoon g town
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

laxbro11 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:25 am Takes from the Navy Game:

Offense:
2. There is player development on this team. We have seen no improvement of the middies. they do not produce, they do not created doubles, they cannot beat their man one on one. This comes down to <recruiting. or players getting better.>
Vanarsdale has failed here.
ftfy
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:43 pm

Offense:
2. There is player development on this team. We have seen no improvement of the middies. they do not produce, they do not created doubles, they cannot beat their man one on one. This comes down to <recruiting. or players getting better.>
Vanarsdale has failed here.
ftfy
I concur.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

Wow, what a negative view of the Loyola program. I am not a Loyola fan, but I respect Loyola as a tough team year in and year out. It is clearly down in a horrible period caused by the epidemic. And there had to be some hangover from losing all all time great like Pat Spencer.

I recall seeing that Loyola has recruited some talent in the next few classes, and Toomey is still a great coach. So the fair weather fans should not be too down, I think.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Not fair weather fans, just disappointed in how this team has shaped up this season. There was so much potential for success.

I can see that some of the freshman and sophomores are disenchanted with Loyola. They practice day in and day out, you play the same players and get the same results... And with most of the seniors coming back next year, Loyola will put the same product out on the field. a 500 team. This is not what we expect from a Loyola team. They are not the hard nosed blue collar team of past. There is no leadership on this team, it seems that everyone is out for themselves

It is hard to replace a Pat Spencer, but Van Arsdale is using the same offense that they used with Pat... You do not have those players. Olmstead and Lindley cannot command the double teams that Pat could. The middies that are playing cannot create and get the defense to slide.

IMO the there are two all star players... McNulty and Wyers

Last point is that Loyola has a log jam of players...With incoming freshman and players not leaving, it will be even more chaotic. The worst thing the NCAA was grant a blanket year of eligibility for all players. Just will causing problems down the line
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

[...]

Coaching:
1. This loss falls squarely on them. The team was not prepared, period.
I m struggling with this one. How much preparation is needed to play a team you beat soundly just 2 weeks prior? I'm sure Navy made some adjustments following their loss, but it's not like they totally transformed themselves. Seems to me it also had to be a combination of losing 2 starters coupled with the knowledge that the outcome of the game wouldn't affect anything in terms of the postseason. The team knew they didn't have to win, so they didn't.

It was a really poor performance though, aside from the 6-0 run in the 4th quarter. Of course, if we had won the game, we'd probably all see it as a great comeback. I still can't get the images out of my head of Olmstead running into a double team and simply giving up and turning the ball over, time after time.

I hope we don't look past Lafayette the same way. Looks like they managed to give Lehigh a game on Sunday.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Garygreyhound wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:28 pm Relatively new to the Greyhound family. I have two children who play D1 lacrosse and two completely different experiences playing out simultaneously. We are incredibly unimpressed with how this season has played out. For starters, there has been almost no communication between coaching staff and families. The team is fractured beyond belief and “pods” have turned into cliques. Leadership from team captains is questionable as I’m sure they aren’t strong enough to speak up and advocate for players. There was an earlier discussion about kids entering the transfer portal. We attended this weekends game against Navy and I’m here to tell you, there was a lot of conversation about kids transferring and for various reasons. Lack of leadership on the team and apparently all of the seniors who were feted will be returning next year which may or may not be a good idea. If I ran my business the way this team seems to be operating , I would be out of business. The definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result. Imagine being one of the kids on the sidelines or with a couple of runs watching the game unfold every week. They are essentially being told that these 15 players are the best Loyola has to offer, they are not trusted to make a difference and the team is incapable or afraid of change. There is absolutely no ingenuity. The only passion on display was from Navy. They deserved the win. I understand we are down two key players but you would think at this level, you have others more than able to step up. Personally, I think Vanarsdale needs some new tricks up his sleeve instead of his current strategy of slinging jello at a wall each week and hope something sticks.
Welcome to the Greyhound family! I hope you stay. As a longtime fan (~40 years), I can't tell you how painful this is to hear, but I appreciate you sharing your insights. Most painful of all is that this is such a stark contrast to what I've heard in talking to many, many parents over the years. Toomey has built a reputation around his concern for his players and his appreciation for character and culture over just the on-field performance. I have to assume the pandemic protocols are largely to blame for this situation. I hope we return to "normal" next season.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:16 pm Not sure Toomey participates in transfer market but expect to see alot of decent players enter portal this offseason that could address outlined deficiencies . Loyola is a attractive destination on a few fronts.
Definitely. Way to think positive! Toomey has done a great job over the years of picking up impactful transfers, including from the ACC. On the current roster, we have Millhouse (UVA), Hughes (Mercer), and Decker (Marist), and in the recent past, McGovern (UNC) and Mazza (Penn State) to name a few.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Don't forget Riley Seay from Bellarmine. Young man has a lot of upside in his game.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

RILEY SEAY from Bellarmine too.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Yes, how did I forget Seay?!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:47 am
stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:16 pm Not sure Toomey participates in transfer market but expect to see alot of decent players enter portal this offseason that could address outlined deficiencies . Loyola is a attractive destination on a few fronts.
Definitely. Way to think positive! Toomey has done a great job over the years of picking up impactful transfers, including from the ACC. On the current roster, we have Millhouse (UVA), Hughes (Mercer), and Decker (Marist), and in the recent past, McGovern (UNC) and Mazza (Penn State) to name a few.
Yeah but did they get Millhouse’ mom in the real too?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”