UNC v Syracuse

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: UNC v Syracuse

Post by DMac »

I'm not so sure of that but I won't argue the point. Fifteen minutes of watching this kid in practice should have been enough to see that he should be on the field for 60 minutes.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 am I'm not so sure of that but I won't argue the point. Fifteen minutes of watching this kid in practice should have been enough to see that he should be on the field for 60 minutes.
Do you really believe Hiltz should transfer?
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

To McGill or Hobart
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

wgdsr wrote hiltz started after the 1st game. and prior to 1st game army they'd been practicing 2 weeks and had no scrimmages.
You're right, Hiltz was on the starting attack unit from minute one of the Virginia game, my bad.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

First of all, outstanding game played (in every facet) by the Tar Heels.

As for defense yesterday (or lack there of)... and this is not an excuse by any means... not having Aviles and DiPietro out there may not have made much difference in the final score but did make a difference in SU's ability to clear. Both players handle the ball well, and clearing, until yesterday IMO, hasn't been an issue. JD in post-game presser commented on this.

Also, Gray (argh) had 8 points (6 assists)... I wonder if there was any discussion in pre-game planning about shutting Gray off, a la Teat? UNC staff probably would have been ready for it but perhaps it could have at least cut his production in half?
DMac

Post by DMac »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 am
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:56 am I'm not so sure of that but I won't argue the point. Fifteen minutes of watching this kid in practice should have been enough to see that he should be on the field for 60 minutes.
Do you really believe Hiltz should transfer?
I just said I wouldn't blame him if he did. Lot of talent there to be playing on a sinking ship, sure could understand why he'd want to be cruising on a different liner that offers smoother sailing.....see Maltz and Wisnauskas.
Oak St

Post by Oak St »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:51 am The O should absolutely be running through Hiltz, tell me a better passer in the game. This kid's stick is incredible, throws 20-30 yard lightning bolts dead nuts into the stick with very little room or time needed. He should be touching the ball a whole lot more than he is. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred to a team where his skills are more valued and the players around him recognize the potential there with a little off ball movement. It took JD three or so games to recognize that he should be on that starting attack unit over Cook. Think about that for a minute (Cook 1 G this year).
That best in all of college lacrosse midfield line bought the hype and believed it (never when it was being screamed the loudest did I). Too often these guys hold on to the ball for too long, make their mind up the second they get a pass that they're going to shoot and come hell or high water they do...good shot or not. For quite some time when I've watched the the rest of the ACC I've thought Cuse would get hammered by any one of those teams, they just don't play on the same level. Anyone care to wager that Va will get that series tied up again including number of goals scored the next time they meet? #22....no comment. This team plays like they're Syracuse and their history will win games for them, trouble is they don't play with anywhere near the same fire or at anywhere near the same speed as the teams that made that history. I'll be damn surprised if Cuse doesn't end up with a 5 and 6 record....and no, they shouldn't make the tourney.
Well said DMAC. The trust hurts, Cuse nation
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

Pork42 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 5:03 pm
durpadurp66 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:09 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:15 am UNC is 2-1 on the road ( 7 home games ). Your getting them out of there comfort zone on the road at the Dome. Both teams defenses are being questioned. UNC gives up 11, Syracuse gives up 12 goals a game. Carolina gave up 18 goals vs Va on 33 shots on goal. Kreig the Freshman made 15 saves last week. I think this is a big spot for him. First trip to the Dome vs an angry Syracuse team. He very easily could get lit up like a Christmas tree. I dont think UNC defense midfield handles Syracuse. Just too many athletes.
UNC seems to be doing just fine so far.
You think 🤔
Yeah I was dead wrong. Syracuse has issues.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:51 am
Pensky Material wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:38 pm
10 10 2 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:10 pm Whats the deal with Syracuse this year? Pretty anemic performance by all (except maybe Dordevic) from start to finish in this one. On senior day to boot.
I 'm not sure where to start right now? Face-offs have been inconsistent to bad, defense collectively has mostly been bad and Porter hasn't been able to bail them out enough. Offense has mostly been efficient when they manage enough possessions but the last few games I'm not sure what they're trying to do out there. Rehfuss has been mostly good but they should run more through Hiltz.
The O should absolutely be running through Hiltz, tell me a better passer in the game. This kid's stick is incredible, throws 20-30 yard lightning bolts dead nuts into the stick with very little room or time needed. He should be touching the ball a whole lot more than he is. I wouldn't blame him if he transferred to a team where his skills are more valued and the players around him recognize the potential there with a little off ball movement. It took JD three or so games to recognize that he should be on that starting attack unit over Cook. Think about that for a minute (Cook 1 G this year).
That best in all of college lacrosse midfield line bought the hype and believed it (never when it was being screamed the loudest did I). Too often these guys hold on to the ball for too long, make their mind up the second they get a pass that they're going to shoot and come hell or high water they do...good shot or not. For quite some time when I've watched the the rest of the ACC I've thought Cuse would get hammered by any one of those teams, they just don't play on the same level. Anyone care to wager that Va will get that series tied up again including number of goals scored the next time they meet? #22....no comment. This team plays like they're Syracuse and their history will win games for them, trouble is they don't play with anywhere near the same fire or at anywhere near the same speed as the teams that made that history. I'll be damn surprised if Cuse doesn't end up with a 5 and 6 record....and no, they shouldn't make the tourney.
Hiltz is supremely talented, O will run through him next year, need togetherness on and off field, be shrugs if one entered portal, Loyola contingent forewarned . Refhuss and Hiltz been great and should be played off. Last year mids were moving and swinging ball but something has changed and cant quite put finger on it, stark contrast watching UNC crisply moving ball to each other . Curry and Dordevic undeniably talented but perhaps one needs to drop to attack next year . Playing too slow on both ends. Porter a good stopper but outlet reads slow and overly conservative. Running game misses those quick outlets upfield by Madonna on saves and TBomberry on gb's that initiated breaks by Dearth. Kennedy and others. Watch how quickly Rode releases upfield to get UVA going. Game reminded me of early UNC -Denver game when Tar Heels blitzed the Pios. They are really difficult to defend when so sharp. Deeper in season but didnt help a so -o defense to be missing a solid starter in DiPietro and dm Aviles who looked to be coming along after a slow start. Hopefully they will be back this week. This version of Cuse will have a difficult time beating a vengeful UVA or balanced and coordinated ND. Talent is there but getting all issues sorted is unlikely anytime soon.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”