Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
ABV 8.3%

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by ABV 8.3% »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 am The Nadalen thing is absolute lunacy - let's again dive in shall we and put some facts on the wall - Towson went 0-6 in 2020 after Sunday, Maloof, Monohan, Goodrich, Woodall left did they not? Nadalen had a fall in 2019 and an entire pre-season practice in '20 did he not? A 2-4 awful Johns Hopkins team wiped the field with them did they not?

Now let's look at this year - defense is obviously improved - I've said the man can coach that end but let's really look at Towson's record - 6-6 certainly better than Hopkins but perhaps we should look at the wins a little bit
UMass - 3-4 record
Hofstra 6-4 with wins over Sacred Heart/Stony Brook/Wagner/Fairfield/ and wait for it - Towson
Fairfield (1 goal win) 2-7 record
Loyola - here's the big feather in the cap but Loyola is very un Loyola like - 5-5 with wins over Richmond/Utah/Lafayette/Bucknell/Navy - some OK teams there but certainly not OSU/Rutgers or God forbid Maryland
MSM - 3-9 record
St. Joe's - 6-3 record - Wagner/Merrimack/MSM/Sacred Heart/Hobart and Bryant the Hawk W's

So the record of the opponents in Towson's victories? 25-32
Hopkins 24-19 with one of the opponents ranked #1 in the country and the other #7

I submit to you that if Hopkins had Towson's schedule - 2-7 would not be the outcome

That is not comparing apples and oranges or even fruit to vegetables - that's Jules and Vincent Vega discussing foot massages to ..... never mind

You had the ball with the score tied at 11 against the number 7 team in the country near the end of the third quarter. I know Hopkins doesn't want moral victories - I certainly don't - but Sean Nadalen was not going to change the out come of this season.
comments like THIS.....is why we hate Hopkins (arrogance, untruths, unprincipled )

suddenly....records....umm....matter. (thought it was "good loses" and top RPI )

See post above" Hopkins decade of dominance

more like decade "charitable" giving and wasteful ncaa bid offerings.........

Like Hopkins Lacrosse, just because it is shoved in our face, all the time, doesn't make W.A.P. a pleasing song to listen too. Means that the awesome Cardi B is any good. YET...........there it is.......in the BillBoard top whatever......

......whores in the house, indeed :lol:
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

You can't trot out another program's coach and say we should have hired that coach because that program has a better record - opponents matter - I know you have the bee in your undies about 2016 - don't blame me - don't blame Hopkins - blame Navy that made it a 3 horse race. I'm not being arrogant or untrue - it's my opinion that if Hopkins played that schedule their record would be better than 2-7 - I'm not saying that gets them anything.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:25 am The Nadalen thing is absolute lunacy - let's again dive in shall we and put some facts on the wall - Towson went 0-6 in 2020 after Sunday, Maloof, Monohan, Goodrich, Woodall left did they not? Nadalen had a fall in 2019 and an entire pre-season practice in '20 did he not? A 2-4 awful Johns Hopkins team wiped the field with them did they not?

Now let's look at this year - defense is obviously improved - I've said the man can coach that end but let's really look at Towson's record - 6-6 certainly better than Hopkins but perhaps we should look at the wins a little bit
UMass - 3-4 record
Hofstra 6-4 with wins over Sacred Heart/Stony Brook/Wagner/Fairfield/ and wait for it - Towson
Loyola - here's the big feather in the cap but Loyola is very un Loyola like - 5-5 with wins over Richmond/Utah/Lafayette/Bucknell/Navy - some OK teams there but certainly not OSU/Rutgers or God forbid Maryland
MSM - 3-9 record
St. Joe's - 6-3 record - Wagner/Merrimack/MSM/Sacred Heart/Hobart and Bryant the Hawk W's

Hopkins 24-19 with one of the opponents ranked #1 in the country and the other #7

I submit to you that if Hopkins had Towson's schedule - 2-7 would not be the outcome

That is not comparing apples and oranges or even fruit to vegetables - that's Jules and Vincent Vega discussing foot massages to ..... never mind

You had the ball with the score tied at 11 against the number 7 team in the country near the end of the third quarter. I know Hopkins doesn't want moral victories - I certainly don't - but Sean Nadalen was not going to change the out come of this season.
typically agree with a lot of what you say, but this is conflation of some of the highest order. and towson's victories vs hopkins' games scheduled, is that what that is? towson's schedule isn't what one would call easy, certainly not for '21 hopkins. there isn't any knowing whether they'd be pulling off w's.
you guys are both doing the same thing.
GSP

Post by GSP »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:42 am

UMass - 3-4 record
MSM - 3-9 record

comments like THIS.....is why we hate Hopkins (arrogance, untruths, unprincipled )

suddenly....records....umm....matter. (thought it was "good loses" and top RPI )

See post above" Hopkins decade of dominance

more like decade "charitable" giving and wasteful ncaa bid offerings.........

Like Hopkins Lacrosse, just because it is shoved in our face, all the time, doesn't make W.A.P. a pleasing song to listen too. Means that the awesome Cardi B is any good. YET...........there it is.......in the BillBoard top whatever......

......whores in the house, indeed :lol:
ABV 8.3:
Are you hearing the Hop Band playing "Nearer my God to thee" in the background too? It seems to be getting louder by the minute!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

None of this really matters anyway because Nads WAS offered the job. There was a back and forth. The end result was he didn't take the job and Hop continued the search. I'm not sure what Towson being 6-6 this year is supposed to prove exactly.

Here are some facts.

Stats 2020/2021. Bold = better:

Goals per game: 10.8/10.6
Goals allowed per game: 13.2/12.7
Goal differential: -2.4/-2.2
Assists per game: 6/6.1
Shooting: 26%/30%
Shot on goal: 59%/64%
Man-up: 38%/50%
Man-down: 53%/65%
GB per game deficit: -2.1/-1.3
TOs per game: 15.3/15.4
CT per game: 4.3/6.7
FO: 59%/52%
Clears: 79%/86%
Opponent clears: 89%/87%
Penalties per game: 4.8/2.7

Lot more bold on the 2021 side. Games are closer and more competitive. Jays are fouling less, clearing better, riding better, shooting better, converting better on both man-up and man-down (Shilling's debacle yesterday included) and that's without having a fall ball! The record is not what anyone wants it to be but if there's a proverbial light at the end of the tunnel it's that if you break it down, the numbers suggest a team that is better than they were in most categories last year—even while winning fewer faceoffs.

Tough to say if one schedule is harder than the other: 2020 did have the UNC/Princeton/Cuse gauntlet but they also got to play a tragic Towson team and MSM. 2021 has had Rutgers and OSU twice and Maryland once—PSU and Michigan are meh. For the purposes of comparing the two seasons I think the schedule has pretty much been a wash in terms of difficulty.

Key personnel lost: Colwell, Murphy, Hubler, Smith
Key personnel gained: Delaney, a healthier Epstein, freshmen, Kirson (though hasn't been an upgrade)
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am typically agree with a lot of what you say, but this is conflation of some of the highest order. and towson's victories vs hopkins' games scheduled, is that what that is? towson's schedule isn't what one would call easy, certainly not for '21 hopkins. there isn't any knowing whether they'd be pulling off w's.
I'm not saying Towson's schedule is easy - I'm not saying Hopkins would win every single one of those games - but the more delusional Hopkins posters that have lost their minds over the record and the Epstein thing think things would be different if the Towson coach was wearing Hopkins Blue (No its not Columbia Blue) and Black. With a record of 6-12 over the last year and a half I do not see the evidence to get all hot and bothered. Especially given the mess PM inherited and the lack of time and preparation he had to do anything.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 pm None of this really matters anyway because Nads WAS offered the job. There was a back and forth. The end result was he didn't take the job and Hop continued the search. I'm not sure what Towson being 6-6 this year is supposed to prove exactly.
How do you know this? I have not heard this mentioned anywhere.
It seemed like Nads didn't even make it to the final round of interviews.
It seems improbably to me that Nads would turn down the job at his Alma Mater.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 pm
wgdsr wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:50 am typically agree with a lot of what you say, but this is conflation of some of the highest order. and towson's victories vs hopkins' games scheduled, is that what that is? towson's schedule isn't what one would call easy, certainly not for '21 hopkins. there isn't any knowing whether they'd be pulling off w's.
I'm not saying Towson's schedule is easy - I'm not saying Hopkins would win every single one of those games - but the more delusional Hopkins posters that have lost their minds over the record and the Epstein thing think things would be different if the Towson coach was wearing Hopkins Blue (No its not Columbia Blue) and Black. With a record of 6-12 over the last year and a half I do not see the evidence to get all hot and bothered. Especially given the mess PM inherited and the lack of time and preparation he had to do anything.
You are making excuses for a staff that openly acknowledges that they don't believe in excuses.
Start: 2-3
Finish: 0-6
Explain that away.
You can't.
Next year we lose Cole Williams and he's our best player. You said yourself that without Cole that Rutgers game would have been a blow out early.
How is this thing improving? It's clearly headed in the wrong direction.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:05 pm
i agree. but counting towson's opp record the way it gets counted for rpi is 64-42. hopkins' is (i think) 8 games below .500 until they play md. when it'll be .500.

towson is rpi #20 according to laxbytes, which of course includes towson's record and opp opp record.

comparing 2021 records isn't a way to evaluate a coach hire, agreed.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

The whole "should have been Nadelen", "should have been Marr", "should have been Coach X" discussion is ridiculous. The second coming of Bob Scott would not have this roster over .500

A lot of people on this board, at the beginning of the season, were in violent agreement that this year was not about W-L. And guess what, you were all right. And you are still right.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:18 am Too bad Hop and Cuse aren't playing this year, could call it The Witness Of Demise game.
Oh.....don't worry....if possible, you'll get your wish.

Loses......or struggling to win, against AE or Patriot league teams ....

doesn't the rpi "formula" allow for tossing,, really, really, really BAD loses from the mix ? ;)

exactly

sweet, sweet, music.......neither should be in the ncaa's, if season ended today.

If I were 'Cuse coach, ....would PPD the rest of the season.....otherwize ,they run the risk of math keeping them out, if they continue to play games :D

PEOPLE......stop acting as if this is a normal TWO seasons. Nothing normal about ANY of this 15% of ALL div. I teams said "no thanks" this season

Marist, apparently, is the covid blackhole

The Cursed Cross of the Holy did what its athletic department does best.......

at least Fauci is actually, finally......following his own words, and wearing a mask, INDOORS, always. Took him long enough....but, the theatre of disrobing, unmasking, while indoors, telling everyone....to ALWAYS.....wear a mask....indoors...epecially when social distancing can't be..... all, while unmasked...indoors, where social distancing can't be practiced.

Was going to ask the Harvard coach if he was going zone against Yale next Saturday......but, Gerry's not returning my phone calls for some reason

I like Danowski.....he seems to get "time, place....life experiences" When he was coach for team USA, he commented how important the GAMES were, not the outcomes. While playing within killing range of some Syrian missles.......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:16 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:02 pm None of this really matters anyway because Nads WAS offered the job. There was a back and forth. The end result was he didn't take the job and Hop continued the search. I'm not sure what Towson being 6-6 this year is supposed to prove exactly.
How do you know this? I have not heard this mentioned anywhere.
It seemed like Nads didn't even make it to the final round of interviews.
It seems improbably to me that Nads would turn down the job at his Alma Mater.
There wasn't a "final round of interviews" and then they make a decision while everyone waits for the big reveal—that's not how these searches work.

They were, at some point, in negotiations with Nads relatively early on in the process. It did not result in a hire. Maybe he wanted a golf membership and they wouldn't give it to him. I don't know. But what does it matter? You're going to drive yourself crazy thinking the grass is always greener. If they hired Nads, you'd probably be wishing they hired Milliman instead right about now. "Cornell was 5-0 and ranked #2 last year!! Why not hire that guy???" meanwhile we're still 2-7. How about we give the new staff just a little bit more time? At least one season with a fall ball, no Covid, and a single one of his recruits in the door—let's start there.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

wg - yes sorry should not have compared the record of opponents for Towson's wins to Hopkins's opponents overall record
Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:19 pm You are making excuses for a staff that openly acknowledges that they don't believe in excuses.
Start: 2-3
Finish: 0-6
Explain that away.
You can't.
Next year we lose Cole Williams and he's our best player. You said yourself that without Cole that Rutgers game would have been a blow out early.
How is this thing improving? It's clearly headed in the wrong direction.
primitiveskills wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:26 pm The whole "should have been Nadelen", "should have been Marr", "should have been Coach X" discussion is ridiculous. The second coming of Bob Scott would not have this roster over .500
THIS - +1 - in spades - high 5

Look - I am not trying to explain anything away. Hopkins was not great in 2019 - they were bad in 2020 and they are not very good this year. And depending upon a variety of factors none of us can begin to fathom - who stays - who goes - does anybody come in - who gets hurt etc. etc. '22 may be the same - a little better - a little worse - alot worse. It is WAY too early especially given the COVID factor - to be calling Jen Baker and demanding Milliman get replaced. Along with HF16's stats - there are a couple things to like:
- They fight - they compete - they don't always execute but they don't give up - At 4-1 or 9-6 with the fog horn blowing like crazy who expected Hopkins to have the ball at 11's? I doubt very many.
- Milliman and staff clearly identified team weaknesses and tried to do something about it - didn't always work obviously but with the limits they had they tried - goalie - they got a transfer that by all appearances was going to be at least better than the career 45ish percentage of the incumbent - didn't work out that way but it wasn't like they brought in Peg Leg Johnson - they brought in someone who had started in the BIG10. Now the reactionaries will say "Why didn't they start Marcille sooner?" Let's not have 15 minutes where - ignoring the empty net goal - Rutgers put only 4 shots on cage and 2 of them went in - put that much green grass on the other side. I would love for Marcille to be the next coming and the biggest mistake for Milliman/Koesterer/Annino but it might also not be true. SSDM - a team weakness for years - yeah they are tinkering and changing and doing all sorts of things but it's better then it was and maybe their methods have helped someone like Martin shine like he has the past couple games.
- The Epstein thing is old news - 2 weeks 3 games ago - he had 2 and 2 yesterday - I did not see the lack of effort - still didn't shoot well - put 5 of his 8 shots in Kirst's bread basket for the most part
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

2 wins...worse than the 1971 horror show... ‘nuff said

🥵
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

hopfan16 you are wrong and your sources are wrong. Nads was never offered the job FACT. Delusional to think Hopkins would beat any of the top 3 teams in any of the mentioned conferences here... Big East, Patriot, AE, CAA. Those top 2-3 teams in each division would beat PSU, Hop, Michigan by 5 goals each. Coaching matters. Look at the way they played teams in their second round.... adjustments or no?
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

Actually, this team is much improved over last year. Not in W-L record, but in caliber of play. Defense is more solid than last year, face-offs are good, the attack is moving the ball better, etc

The biggest problem in the Rutgers game was "unforced errors". The loopy pass from the midfield to the attack, where the Rutgers goalie has "time" to run 5 steps out of the goal to intercept the pass. Shots "at" the Goalie. Other bad passes, etc. The ball is really "valuable". All that can be fixed. Players just need to be more careful and value the ball. Can't really "coach" that. The players just need to be careful.

My snarky younger son emailed my wife and I, stating that he saw that Maryland (my wife's alma mater) was ranked # 1, and Cleveland State, LIU, and Quinipac, etc were ranked ahead of JHU. He wondered if I needed an "emotional support animal" :lol: :lol: . No I don't. Everyone knew it would be challenging year. I think the players are doing fine under the circumstances. No need to apologize for anything, especially to the strange people who get some kind of perverse pleasure for spewing vitriol about our school.

JHU is playing Lacrosse, the Creator's Game, with the support of the Administration, the Alumni, and former Players. God is in Heaven and all is right with the World. Go Blue! ;)
Chitown

Post by Chitown »

One more thing that I noticed at the Ohio State game and the Rutgers game: the size of our roster.

There were approx 35 Hopkins players in total at both games. So it seems that the Coaches will/are actively cutting the roster from the 60 plus from the Pietramala days. I don't think that is just "travel roster", but a sensible return to a roster size that can actually be coached at practice.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Chitown wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 pm One more thing that I noticed at the Ohio State game and the Rutgers game: the size of our roster.

There were approx 35 Hopkins players in total at both games. So it seems that the Coaches will/are actively cutting the roster from the 60 plus from the Pietramala days. I don't think that is just "travel roster", but a sensible return to a roster size that can actually be coached at practice.
I’m sure the roster will be cut next year, but I would guess this about COVID related travel restrictions more than anything.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:27 pm Look - I am not trying to explain anything away. Hopkins was not great in 2019 - they were bad in 2020 and they are not very good this year. And depending upon a variety of factors none of us can begin to fathom - who stays - who goes - does anybody come in - who gets hurt etc. etc. '22 may be the same - a little better - a little worse - alot worse. It is WAY too early especially given the COVID factor - to be calling Jen Baker and demanding Milliman get replaced. Along with HF16's stats - there are a couple things to like:
- They fight - they compete - they don't always execute but they don't give up - At 4-1 or 9-6 with the fog horn blowing like crazy who expected Hopkins to have the ball at 11's? I doubt very many.
- Milliman and staff clearly identified team weaknesses and tried to do something about it - didn't always work obviously but with the limits they had they tried - goalie - they got a transfer that by all appearances was going to be at least better than the career 45ish percentage of the incumbent - didn't work out that way but it wasn't like they brought in Peg Leg Johnson - they brought in someone who had started in the BIG10. Now the reactionaries will say "Why didn't they start Marcille sooner?" Let's not have 15 minutes where - ignoring the empty net goal - Rutgers put only 4 shots on cage and 2 of them went in - put that much green grass on the other side. I would love for Marcille to be the next coming and the biggest mistake for Milliman/Koesterer/Annino but it might also not be true. SSDM - a team weakness for years - yeah they are tinkering and changing and doing all sorts of things but it's better then it was and maybe their methods have helped someone like Martin shine like he has the past couple games.
- The Epstein thing is old news - 2 weeks 3 games ago - he had 2 and 2 yesterday - I did not see the lack of effort - still didn't shoot well - put 5 of his 8 shots in Kirst's bread basket for the most part
You can say there's a kind of Hemingwayan Victory in Defeat here, but the future is just not looking bright.
This year's recruiting class has maybe one player who can help. The year after that has some four star recruits but no five stars.
The goalie situation is a hot mess. The guy who set the Hop freshmen scoring record is now keeping both teams in the game.
The best player is leaving.
By the end of year # three everyone is going to be screaming for PM's head and we'll be back to the Nads/Marr conversation again.
I don't know why they thought they could go off the farm and it was going to work out. It never has before.
Jenny, you have some 'splainin to do.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

#3 might be the only one that turns out to be accurate. i'd get a couple stiff ones or hit up fatty or dmac.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”