Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by runrussellrun »

Njlaxx11 wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:07 am
Drcthru wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:47 pm
lagerhead wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 6:16 pm
Why is Rutgers allowed that obnoxious horn but, we can't have a simulated cannon. What is SHI* stadium?
Horn is annoying as hell and I’m a jersey guy.

Also don’t understand the naming rights..,,,
The* was for T.
[/quote]

https://www.shi.com/ - they're a tech company. i believe their HQ is located the town next to where the stadium is. i have a couple friends that work for them.
[/quote]

A loud, "gun shot" like sound .......and Hopkins guys are wondering why they can't have the cannon?

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/crime ... story.html

https://homicides.news.baltimoresun.com/?range=2021

Bloomberg arm the campus cops yet.......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 pm -the veterans are 4-11 players. This is exactly the situation that the 2010 veterans played themselves into and petro benched them for younger guys and you saw how that played out on the field in 2011-12. It certainly didn't hurt recruiting judging by the classes he hauled in after that. There is nothing that brett baskin, evan zinn, shure, shilling, dipietro, and keough are bringing today that is arguably better today or for the future of the program than what younger guys could bring. The argument to play them is that their feelings might get hurt. Too bad. You never mention that the younger kids watching these veterans lose week in week out might have feelings too and work hard too and might be excited to see the field. Then you have williams, delaney, reinson, disimone, and lyne, credible players, but again the senior nucleus of a 2-6 team going nowhere where the minutes could offer the staff a chance to evaluate where guys who could be a part of a winning program moving forward are legit.
I need Rod Serling - first off - Don't let the facts get in the way of your narrative. Duerr Boyle and Wharton started the first game in 2010 at attack - started the last game against Loyola. DeVore, Drenan and Durkin started the first game - started the last. Kimmel of course was a mainstay at mid-field. Zach Palmer - as a freshman - started the game against Manhattan - played in every game and started 8 of them. Max Chautin also played in all 15 games and started 8 of them. So you are down to Bassett for Gvozden whose Save percentages were dead equal that year BTW - and Gvoz's GAA was LESS than Bassett's. Look at the Loyola box score from '10 - Greeley and Ranagan were now playing - maybe as the #1 and a Top 20 recruit should be playing by the end of the year - oh Ranagan played in all 15 games and Greeley 14. Petro really switched it up - thank God there were programs back then - could hardly keep track.
- Why even mention Dipeitro? Poor kid has been hurt all year and has played in 3 games - probably 1 run as an SSDM yesterday - I am sure Special K has no idea what to do next year at SSDM because of that decision
- Assuming he's here Zinn will likely be an SSDM for you next year - so let's hope he gets time and plays well
- You have zero basis for your statement "There is nothing that brett baskin, evan zinn, shure, shilling, dipietro, and keough are bringing today that is arguably better today or for the future of the program than what younger guys could bring." given that you have zero clue as to what any younger guy you haven't seen could do or not do.
- You want to take williams, delaney, Reinson, DeSimone and Lyne off the field? OK then - first Delaney hasn't been the nucleus of anything he's been playing basketball. Second - without Williams yesterday it would not have been 11-11 with 17 minutes left in the game. I enjoy watching 11-11 lacrosse for 43 minutes even if they imploded in about 3. I don't want to watch and they don't want to play in a 23-8 game which is what it would have been if those 5 players had not played - Ridiculous.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Glad you are bringing up Hopkins two thousand and teen years

ZERO bizness being at the NCAA's. the first round results, speak for themselves.

2013 Finally

That is 3 seasons, of the past 10, that Hopkins had pretty bad records........even when shutting out Manhattan.

Hopkins lacrosse has been pedestrian for a while...........and keep on loving the Trump loving Bill Bellicheat. Did trump still send him his medal :lol:

What....you think the tens of thousands of lacrosse playing college graduates are all from the laxmafia colleges :o

BIG production, and caring about lacrosse.......is obvious. :roll: When can the Maryland ground crew let me in.....got a couple cases of green paint....you know....to make the lacrosse field ....ummm.....look,, like a lacrosse field?

inept clowns

CAA, patriot league, AE, etc.......ALL have better production than the "big" dogs. And.......all for FREE.

big and ESPN charge to watch Syracuse football lines in the dome ? dude.......lacrosse fields are beautiful things......all that green.

only green Big Cares about is getting to ACK island to party with Trump lovers.......
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DMac

Post by DMac »

Gotta agree, russy, the B1G Network is the worst. They should call it the Hoover Network cuz it just sucks, unless of course you enjoy watching games from horrible angels and levels. Some of the live streams done by freshman dabbling in production are better.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:55 pm
Still, no time to give up. A win against Maryland next week would change everything. Time to get back to work.

DocBarrister
I'm not seeing a win against UMD next week. I'm scared to even watch the game.
Milliman and Co. started off 2-3, which wasn't bad considering the lack of fall ball and preseason.
But the second half of the season they are going 0-5 or 0-6 in all probability.
That seems like regression to me, not improvement. The team seems on the wrong trajectory to me.

Maybe PM can pull in some high profile transfers in the offseason (?????). Maybe Marcille is the answer in goal.
But, otherwise, I'm not sure what the hope is moving forward for this group. All I see is poor fundamentals, poor shooting, and a team that week-in and week-out finds ways to lose. Faceoffs are good but everything else is broken.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

Take a look at how Towson started the year and what they are currently doing now... Coaching matters. Nads was never offered the job which is a shame. The administration and the alums on that board should be feeling the heat, they deserve it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 am Gotta agree, russy, the B1G Network is the worst. They should call it the Hoover Network cuz it just sucks, unless of course you enjoy watching games from horrible angels and levels. Some of the live streams done by freshman dabbling in production are better.
Are these the BTN Plus games or the Big Ten broadcast network games? I had always thought the production quality of the BTN broadcast games were excellent but I had not paid much attention this year. Have the PSU v Michigan on my DVR. Will take a look.
“I wish you would!”
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am Take a look at how Towson started the year and what they are currently doing now... Coaching matters. Nads was never offered the job which is a shame. The administration and the alums on that board should be feeling the heat, they deserve it.
YUP.....coaching matters

First round spanking.....NO biz being invited

justifiable invitation, spanked, again, in NCAA's

First round spanking...NO biz being invited

First round spanking.....NO biz being invited

Decent playoff run......invitation justifiable

2nd round spanking.......

Finally

2nd round spanking.....

Spanked, 2nd round

First round spanking....NO biz being invited

results speak for themselves.

keep on touting all those NCAA bids........like Hopkins deserved them in the first place.

Quint K, badda bing, baddaa boom.......Blue Jays can always go back to being independent. :lol:
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:58 am
DMac wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:23 am Gotta agree, russy, the B1G Network is the worst. They should call it the Hoover Network cuz it just sucks, unless of course you enjoy watching games from horrible angels and levels. Some of the live streams done by freshman dabbling in production are better.
Are these the BTN Plus games or the Big Ten broadcast network games? I had always thought the production quality of the BTN broadcast games were excellent but I had not paid much attention this year. Have the PSU v Michigan on my DVR. Will take a look.
It is called a LACROSSE game........play it on a lacrosse field, not using some other sports "lines".....geez.....simple

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whWIIw77EZE

but, but....SPRING football.......What the heck

oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

PSU games are solid, especially with Joe Beninati...he is so good, along with Dixon or Medhurst. You can almost close your eyes and see the game when they are on the call. My only complaint with PSU games is where they have the onfield mic.....the fan section seems to echo off the building wall (players side) and is way too loud. You'll enjoy that game, I did.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am Take a look at how Towson started the year and what they are currently doing now... Coaching matters. Nads was never offered the job which is a shame. The administration and the alums on that board should be feeling the heat, they deserve it.
+1
Totally agree with you.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Is this the sound at Rutgers you all had issue with? :lol:

https://twitter.com/the_post_game/statu ... 18882?s=20
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 am
PSU games are solid, especially with Joe Beninati...he is so good, along with Dixon or Medhurst. You can almost close your eyes and see the game when they are on the call. My only complaint with PSU games is where they have the onfield mic.....the fan section seems to echo off the building wall (players side) and is way too loud. You'll enjoy that game, I did.
They need to seriously fix their scoreboard. Or pay the electric bill. Game breaks for scoreboard breakdowns are incredibly annoying.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:29 am Nads was never offered the job which is a shame.
That is incorrect.

Some other observations I made being at the game:

- Marcille brings a TON of energy to the bench—seems like a great teammate. I'm glad he finally got in. I wouldn't count on him starting next week, but who knows
- Mabbett also was pacing the sidelines trying to amp everybody up. I don't know what his injury is but he didn't appear to have a brace on or anything like that
- The underclassmen and freshmen especially all seem pretty close. They all mobbed Peshko after he scored and congratulated McDermott for his first career point. Did the same for Martin after he stole Mullins' lunch money
- Milliman would be a great poker player—the guy hardly reacts to anything positive or negative. Coach K is a lot more animated
- I was sitting near a Rutgers fan who kept yelling "Get on Epstein!!!!" over and over again, even when we were still clearing or just setting up the offense—there was likely something wrong with him but it was making everyone in my section crack up
- The Rutgers goal horn is indeed triggering—I'm going to hear that thing in my sleep for awhile. They accidentally played it once during a mom goal which IMO should result in one goal being taken off the board. Will submit that suggestion to the NCAA rules committee
- I overheard an ND player's dad (once a Hopkins commit, from NJ) tell someone that South Bend is a prison

If there is one difference between the team this year and the one from last year it's that they don't lay down and quit when they go down by 3,4,5 goals. Last year against Carolina, Princeton, and Syracuse, small deficits became big ones in a hurry...this year they're fighting back and at least making it respectable for 3, 3+ quarters before the wheels fall off the bus. They're not curling up in the fetal position like we've seen from some past Hopkins teams.

51 brought up the inexplicable path decisions of some guys on the clear—I genuinely believe a few of them are still psychologically scarred from previous experiences and are afraid to make mistakes, which results in overthinking, which in turn leads to bad decisions. It comes out every now and then and no better example than taking a ridiculously circuitous route on the clear rather than just running in a straight line and trusting yourself to get past one guy. I know PM preaches a style that gives players more free roam/creativity/agency to make decisions but I think a lot of damage has already been done that is hard to erase in a year.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:09 am
Yes. Really good broadcast team. I haven’t seen any BTN+ games. My suspicion is that those are “school” produced. The network games were usually well done. I looked forward to that broadcast team. Low ‘lax bro’ factor.
“I wish you would!”
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

When Richie Meade was replaced Navy offered to several D - 1 head coaches. They were turned down by 4 anyway, Hopkins offered from what I understand and did a “national search” that was well not intense.

I am not buying the trauma psychology thing. Some players make bad judgments; done more than others. All of them have played for multiple coaches since they were youngsters. Trauma, psychological damage, inability to overcome ? Sorry, no.

Also not buying the reference to last year either. Yesterday UNC destroyed Cuse. Sowers at Princeton averaged about 10 points a game. The answer is talent gap
GSP

Post by GSP »

runrussellrun wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:22 am
GSP wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 9:20 pm It is being widely reported that Johns Hopkins' President Ronnie Daniels, Mike Bloomberg and AD Jennifer Baker have rented a 9th floor, Homewood facing, suite at the Inn at the Colonnade to watch the April 24, Maryland game. During that game, they intend to reprise the roles of the Judge, Gus Sands and Memo Paris from the movie, "The Natural." Apparently, a deal in this particular instance, had been struck in early January of 2020 that would require the Hopkins lacrosse team to transfer to DIII if they were unable to win at least 5 of their next 12 games. After going 2 and 4 in 2020, Dave P, clearly recognizing the inevitability of what was to come, asked Daniels for a solid for old times sake, so that he would not be tarred personally.

The group of 3 found their replacement in Millman who has been forced to "play along to get along." Daniels ordered Millman to pull Roy Hobbs, I mean Joey Epstein, out of the lineup two weeks ago and then "screw with his head" publicly to insure Daniels' desired outcome.

It may have gone unnoticed to casual Hop fans that Joey cracked the head of his stick today against Rutgers. He has now asked Doc Barrister to "pick him a winner," for the Maryland game to replace Lightning. The Hopkins' lax fanbase is on pins and needles waiting for the results of Doc's search however after reports surfaced of fans seeing Doc probing his proboscis there is growing concern that Doc may have misunderstood Joey's request.

Will keep you apprised of future developments.
Always figured Doc is like the guy in the hat..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo

great post, gsp

Who plays the bastard Son? or, is that symbolism , representing a "new" tradition.

Is there room in Swathmores and Haverfords lacrosse league :D

DocB........must be working hard on getting the vaxx to those he cares about......the poor. Hopkins neighbors.....but, NOPE......half of Baltimore STILL can't get the vaxx. Hunt valley?
Too funny but I had Doc lamped as the psychologist that is brought in to lecture the team.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Too bad Hop and Cuse aren't playing this year, could call it The Witness Of Demise game.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

OCanada wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:53 am When Richie Meade was replaced Navy offered to several D - 1 head coaches. They were turned down by 4 anyway, Hopkins offered from what I understand and did a “national search” that was well not intense.

I am not buying the trauma psychology thing. Some players make bad judgments; done more than others. All of them have played for multiple coaches since they were youngsters. Trauma, psychological damage, inability to overcome ? Sorry, no.

Also not buying the reference to last year either. Yesterday UNC destroyed Cuse. Sowers at Princeton averaged about 10 points a game. The answer is talent gap
Was there a talent gap with Mount St. Mary's too?

A lot of these kids probably weren't used to getting screamed at or having to shield themselves from rage spittle in front of thousands of people including their families and friends with their high school or club coaches.

Petro's teams toward the end there played timid. They were afraid to make mistakes. They hesitated, they were thinking too much. You could almost hear the gears turning in their heads.

The Jays are clearing at 86% this year. They were 79% last year. Coincidence?

They are also allowing fewer goals than last year despite getting even worse goaltending. Largely the same crop of players on that side of the field, albeit with a few guys in different spots.

The defense had no freaking clue how to even slide last year. It was overthink city. Always too early, too late, or not at all. They still have plenty of things to clean up but if you can't see that the defensive packages this year are WORLD's better than before then I don't know what to tell you. They actually can time a slide this year. The defense is by no means *good* but it is clearly improved.

As poor as shooting has been at times, that, too, is markedly better than last year. DeSo and Williams, who had career shooting percentages in the 20-25% range prior to this year, are shooting 45% and 38%, respectively. That doesn't happen this late in their careers by accident. They suddenly now as seniors just start shooting after practice? Could it be they aren't so much in their own heads anymore?

It's not all going to change overnight but there are clear markers if you know where to look.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

The Nadalen thing is absolute lunacy - let's again dive in shall we and put some facts on the wall - Towson went 0-6 in 2020 after Sunday, Maloof, Monohan, Goodrich, Woodall left did they not? Nadalen had a fall in 2019 and an entire pre-season practice in '20 did he not? A 2-4 awful Johns Hopkins team wiped the field with them did they not?

Now let's look at this year - defense is obviously improved - I've said the man can coach that end but let's really look at Towson's record - 6-6 certainly better than Hopkins but perhaps we should look at the wins a little bit
UMass - 3-4 record
Hofstra 6-4 with wins over Sacred Heart/Stony Brook/Wagner/Fairfield/ and wait for it - Towson
Fairfield (1 goal win) 2-7 record
Loyola - here's the big feather in the cap but Loyola is very un Loyola like - 5-5 with wins over Richmond/Utah/Lafayette/Bucknell/Navy - some OK teams there but certainly not OSU/Rutgers or God forbid Maryland
MSM - 3-9 record
St. Joe's - 6-3 record - Wagner/Merrimack/MSM/Sacred Heart/Hobart and Bryant the Hawk W's

So the record of the opponents in Towson's victories? 25-32
Hopkins 24-19 with one of the opponents ranked #1 in the country and the other #7

I submit to you that if Hopkins had Towson's schedule - 2-7 would not be the outcome

That is not comparing apples and oranges or even fruit to vegetables - that's Jules and Vincent Vega discussing foot massages to ..... never mind

You had the ball with the score tied at 11 against the number 7 team in the country near the end of the third quarter. I know Hopkins doesn't want moral victories - I certainly don't - but Sean Nadalen was not going to change the out come of this season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”