Good News

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Good News

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:22 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm The J J Vincent Cremant de Bourgogne is probably the best the the French Cremants I’ve come across. They’re based in the Maconnais and basically use the two most common grades used in Champagne, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Here’s my lineup for NYE and home with the Ms AS and cat pal.

Aperitif sparkler - Castellroig Rose, Cava
Dinner sparkler - Champagne L. Aubry (RM) 1er Cru, Jouy-les-Reims
Wild salmon roe canapé on boiled potato
Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Tuna tartare ala Aqua Restaurant (SF)
Broiled lobster tail with tarragon butter
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
:lol: hot pockets!! Good eating
So I’ve met the Hot Pockets family. They’re worth $4Bn! Wish I had known when I often burned the s**t out of the roof of my mouth every time I ate one in college.

(They back a SoCal based consumer point of sale FinTech lender through their family office which is how I got to know them-that family has some spread out investments)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:43 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:36 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 7:42 am
AOD wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:14 am
ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:00 pm The J J Vincent Cremant de Bourgogne is probably the best the the French Cremants I’ve come across. They’re based in the Maconnais and basically use the two most common grades used in Champagne, Chardonnay and Pinot Noir.

Here’s my lineup for NYE and home with the Ms AS and cat pal.

Aperitif sparkler - Castellroig Rose, Cava
Dinner sparkler - Champagne L. Aubry (RM) 1er Cru, Jouy-les-Reims
Wild salmon roe canapé on boiled potato
Jumbo shrimp cocktail
Snow crab claws
Tuna tartare ala Aqua Restaurant (SF)
Broiled lobster tail with tarragon butter
Seared scallops
Hot Pockets (50% off)
Nice! If there are mussels in those Hot Pockets, your meal will amount to a NYE Feast of the Seven Fishes.
I wonder if those seared scallops were wrapped in bacon. We all know that everything is better with bacon. I'm guessing Julia Child would have given Ardilla's menu two enthusiastic thumbs up. :D
Bacon is awesome but a good scallop on its own is superb. The bacon wrapped scallop was something you’d see before the arrival of the fresh dayboat or fresh, dry scallops in the mid-90’s. When scallops are fresh they have a dry, tacky feel and you never want to do anything to them but add a sprinkle of salt and white pepper before sitting them in a smoking hot steel or cast iron pan coated with olive oil. In their dry state they’ll develop a nice caramelized crust yet be rare inside. One of my favorite seafoods that I make regularly.

Scallops sold in a preservative blueish brine won’t achieve that crust nor be nearly as good, so you may as well wrap it in bacon or put it in a cioppino.

Dry scallop tips. In better markets, dry scallops shouldn’t be in direct contact with melting ice as it’s imperative to keep them dry. Many will stack them on the cloth bag the come shipped in. If it’s sitting in a blue brine then it’s an inferior product. Scallops usually have a noticeable tendon on one side that needs to be pulled off. It’s too tough to eat. Never oil dry scallops before putting them in a pan. Just place the seasoned items in a just oiled, smoking hot pan. To keep track of their cooking time it’s easiest to start at 12 o’clock and go clockwise. Let’s them develop a browned crust before turning and keep it to one flip. It only takes a few minutes to finish both sides so don’t walk away.

Serve with a bone dry Muscadet or Loire Sauvignon Blanc, a dry, oakless Chardonnay from Burgundy, an Alsatian Pinot Blanc or Riesling, a Gruner Veltliner from Austria, a Rueda (Verdejo) or Rias Baixas (Albariño) from Spain, a Roero (Arneis) from the Piemonte or Greco di Tufo from Calabria in Italy. If you live in Southern Maryland then serve with a Mountain Dew.
In Southern Maryland they’d be”Bay Scallops’ (Skate wings)with old bay & served with 10oz. Budweiser’s 😂😂
I think you mean Schlitz
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:27 pm August 8, 1982. A line drive foul ball hits a four year old boy in the head at Fenway. Jim Rice, realizing in a flash that it would take EMTs too long to arrive and cut through the crowd, sprang from the dugout and scooped up the boy. He laid the boy gently on the dugout floor, where the Red Sox medical team began to treat him.

When the boy arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later, doctors said, without a doubt that Jim's prompt actions saved the boy's life. Jim returned to the game in a blood-stained uniform. A real badge of courage. After visiting the boy in the hospital, and realizing the family was of modest means, he stopped by the business office and instructed that the bill be sent to him.

This is what a sports Hero looks like!

Ironically wasn’t Jim rice considered a malcontent by the media?
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

Yes as I recall.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

It is my understanding that malcontents are brilliant and great leaders.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:38 pm It is my understanding that malcontents are brilliant and great leaders.
Thank you for the compliment. :lol:
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:38 pm It is my understanding that malcontents are brilliant and great leaders.
Likewise. ;)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:20 pm
youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:38 pm It is my understanding that malcontents are brilliant and I'm great leaders.

True dat except for the brilliant and great leader parts. :lol: the malcontent label is spot on though.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Roger “Al Capone” Stone sued for tax evasion. Delicious.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

PizzaSnake wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:48 pm Roger “Al Capone” Stone sued for tax evasion. Delicious.
Hmmm, that is good news:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... story.html

"The U.S. government filed a lawsuit Friday against Roger Stone, claiming he owes the Internal Revenue Service almost
$2 million in unpaid tax bills stretching back more than a decade — another legal blow for the political consultant convicted of obstructing Congress and later pardoned by his longtime friend, President Donald Trump.

The Justice Department lawsuit was filed in federal court in Florida and argues that Stone’s tax problems stretch back to 2007, when a $205,410 tax bill mushroomed with interest and late fees to a bill of nearly half a million dollars.

The lawsuit alleges that Stone and his wife, Nydia Stone, used a trust and a company to try to improperly shield their assets from tax collectors while they continued to live a lavish lifestyle.

A lawyer who represented Stone last year did not respond to requests for comment."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

It is all Hilary's fault.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

jhu72 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:18 am It is all Hilary's fault.
Funny. But you know there are people who will just chalk this up, not to Stone failing to pay his taxes, but to the "Deep State" getting revenge on this grand disruptor.
njbill

Post by njbill »

My guess is Stone is lucky this is only a civil lawsuit, and that he hasn’t been indicted for tax evasion or tax fraud. Of course, that may still happen.
AOD

Post by AOD »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:12 pm My guess is Stone is lucky this is only a civil lawsuit, and that he hasn’t been indicted for tax evasion or tax fraud. Of course, that may still happen.
You're right that he's lucky. "Tax evasion" includes payment evasion although the most common form of tax evasion is underreporting.

The IRS formerly maintained a policy prohibiting "parallel investigations", which generally required that a criminal investigation reach its conclusion before civil action was taken. About 10 years ago (probably longer), the IRS revised its policy and generally allowed parallel investigations where the civil proceeding would not imperil or damage the criminal investigation. In this case I think it unlikely a criminal charge for payment evasion is in the offing given the closeness of the civil matter with the criminal, but this could be a continuing conduct crime that gives rise to a charge by Tax Justice if he takes additional avoidance/evasion measures.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:49 pm

An incident took place that was not reported by the news media though it was no secret in NY where the incident took place: a young black reporter stepped up to Rice, introduced himself, and posed a question. Rice spat in his face and walked away. Next day the reporter mentioned the incident on a local soul music station. Nothing was ever done to Rice and he never apologized.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

Think the elephant’s name was Karma?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/elephan ... l-park.amp
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

seacoaster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:51 pm
Funny. But you know there are people who will just chalk this up, not to Stone failing to pay his taxes, but to the "Deep State" getting revenge on this grand disruptor.
... of course they will. There is no end to stupid republicans.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

jhu72 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:55 am
seacoaster wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:51 pm
Funny. But you know there are people who will just chalk this up, not to Stone failing to pay his taxes, but to the "Deep State" getting revenge on this grand disruptor. Be
... of course they will. There is no end to stupid republicans.
There is some Karma there. There is also no end to stupid Democrats... :lol:. Mad Maxine is as always leading the parade.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Brooklyn wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:43 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:49 pm

An incident took place that was not reported by the news media though it was no secret in NY where the incident took place: a young black reporter stepped up to Rice, introduced himself, and posed a question. Rice spat in his face and walked away. Next day the reporter mentioned the incident on a local soul music station. Nothing was ever done to Rice and he never apologized.
rice was my favorite player growing up. what was the question?

Return to “POLITICS”