ODAC lax season is on

D3 Mens Lacrosse
W&LLover

Re: ODAC lax season is on

Post by W&LLover »

Might be a close one between W&L/Ferrum...Ferrum could run away with this one pretty early.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

islander wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 am And that was the only game last night, as it appears the 2 others were PPD (VWC vs RMC/HSC vs Guilford)

Looking ahead to this weekend:

HUGE game with HSC/Noke
Lynchburg vs Bridgewater
W&L vs Ferrum
Assuming Guildford vs VWC won't happen.
HSC / Noke game has the makings of a great contest. I’m getting a sense that the youngsters at Roanoke are growing up and are starting to figure it out. I thought HSC would be a lock several weeks ago. I’m still sticking w them but believe Noke is beginning to play well. The issue will be face offs for Noke, goal play Federau or freshman Lewis and how will Kammerman and Caldwell fare
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

islander wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:36 am And that was the only game last night, as it appears the 2 others were PPD (VWC vs RMC/HSC vs Guilford)

Looking ahead to this weekend:

HUGE game with HSC/Noke
Lynchburg vs Bridgewater
W&L vs Ferrum
Assuming Guildford vs VWC won't happen.
And Noke has a COVID outbreak so that game is postponed.
JackieMoon

Post by JackieMoon »

You hate to see a covid issue stall competition with the tournament right around the corner. Noke has been putting it all together and HSC has been on fire since their early season loss. I really hope they get this rivalry game back on the schedule.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

Running out of time for rescheduled games.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

TidewaterLax wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 am Running out of time for rescheduled games.
Yeah I'd be surprised if even half of the cancelled/postponed games are rescheduled at this point. Unless you count tomorrow, and its highly unlikely a game will be rescheduled for tomorrow if it hasn't already been, teams have at best a 12-day window to work with to get games in, starting this Monday, if they want them to count towards the ODAC standings because the ODAC Tournament starts May 2 with 10 of the 11 teams scheduled to play on May 1.

If each team had a game or two that would be one thing, but...

Roanoke is going to have a minimum one game and part of another game to resume because of going on a COVID pause/weather. And the game that needs to be resumed would take priority, I assume.

Guilford had to go on a COVID pause and missed three games because of it.

Virginia Wesleyan missed 7 ODAC games because of a COVID pause, and they've only managed to reschedule one of those. It's going to be impossible for them to make up the other 6 ODAC games AND play the four they already have scheduled over the next 12 days.

Randolph went on a COVID pause and missed three games (though the last may be due to VWU going on a COVID pause). They have four games left scheduled. I don't foresee them fitting in an additional three games in the next 12 days.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 am
TidewaterLax wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:21 am Running out of time for rescheduled games.
Yeah I'd be surprised if even half of the cancelled/postponed games are rescheduled at this point. Unless you count tomorrow, and its highly unlikely a game will be rescheduled for tomorrow if it hasn't already been, teams have at best a 12-day window to work with to get games in, starting this Monday, if they want them to count towards the ODAC standings because the ODAC Tournament starts May 2 with 10 of the 11 teams scheduled to play on May 1.

If each team had a game or two that would be one thing, but...

Roanoke is going to have a minimum one game and part of another game to resume because of going on a COVID pause/weather. And the game that needs to be resumed would take priority, I assume.

Guilford had to go on a COVID pause and missed three games because of it.

Virginia Wesleyan missed 7 ODAC games because of a COVID pause, and they've only managed to reschedule one of those. It's going to be impossible for them to make up the other 6 ODAC games AND play the four they already have scheduled over the next 12 days.

Randolph went on a COVID pause and missed three games (though the last may be due to VWU going on a COVID pause). They have four games left scheduled. I don't foresee them fitting in an additional three games in the next 12 days.
Actually it's really only an 11-day window as May 1 isn't going to be available to any of the ODAC teams to play a rescheduled ODAC game, unless one of those games currently scheduled for May 1 is cancelled.

It sucks, but it felt like it was 10x worse in men's basketball with there being more games cancelled than games played across the league and five of the teams withdrawing from the ODAC Tournament. So it can always be worse. Looks like Virginia Wesleyan will be the only team with more games cancelled than games played and no one else will even be close to that.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

I think the obvious question would be, why can't they have the flexibility to move the playoff dates out a week or so in order to get more games in. This is very sadly an extraordinary time we are stuck with, why not have the flexibility to allow these kids to end this season on as good a note as possible. I get that the big tournament has dates already scheduled but I hope they actually do try their best to end this positively for these boys (especially the Seniors) who have been screwed by not just the pandemic but also all the insanity surrounding it.
thescottharris

Post by thescottharris »

TidewaterLax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:43 am I think the obvious question would be, why can't they have the flexibility to move the playoff dates out a week or so in order to get more games in. This is very sadly an extraordinary time we are stuck with, why not have the flexibility to allow these kids to end this season on as good a note as possible. I get that the big tournament has dates already scheduled but I hope they actually do try their best to end this positively for these boys (especially the Seniors) who have been screwed by not just the pandemic but also all the insanity surrounding it.
The NCAA Tournament starts May 15. The ODAC Tournament ends May 8. The selections are announced May 9, I believe. I mean the NCAA normally announces selections for all their tournaments on a Sunday or Monday. Having it end nearly last minute is about as flexible as it's going to get.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Caught a good bit of the Tufts v Conn College game today. I was underwhelmed by Tufts to be blunt. I’ll give them some leeway for rust, as this is only their second game of the season I believe. The other observation I would offer is that they sure do think they’re great.
If they played Lynchburg tomorrow I think it would be an ugly blowout in Lynchburg’s favor. At this point I think Burg and Salisbury are the teams to beat.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

Lynchburg and Salisbury both deep with current seniors and 5th year players, experience matters. I’m going out on a limb and taking the Gulls 😂. Haven’t seen York play yet, anyone think they’d have a shot. Deepocket?
MrLax2U

Post by MrLax2U »

Hey Dehunt;
Of course. It'll be one and out. York has a puncher's chance. Good coach, good team chemistry; they've beaten the Gulls before. Playoff may even be a home game for York which is worth a point or two.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

If Salisbury can gel with all that talent, they’ll be a VERY tough out. They are a tough out even when it’s clear that the gel isn’t quite there yet.

I want to see the York Stevenson game, but a punchers chance is where I’m at too.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

thescottharris wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 3:02 pm
TidewaterLax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:43 am I think the obvious question would be, why can't they have the flexibility to move the playoff dates out a week or so in order to get more games in. This is very sadly an extraordinary time we are stuck with, why not have the flexibility to allow these kids to end this season on as good a note as possible. I get that the big tournament has dates already scheduled but I hope they actually do try their best to end this positively for these boys (especially the Seniors) who have been screwed by not just the pandemic but also all the insanity surrounding it.
The NCAA Tournament starts May 15. The ODAC Tournament ends May 8. The selections are announced May 9, I believe. I mean the NCAA normally announces selections for all their tournaments on a Sunday or Monday. Having it end nearly last minute is about as flexible as it's going to get.
I am sure it is dreaming but my inference was to move the dates for the NCAA tournament out a week or maybe two. Nothing about this year is or has been normal so why does the tournament have to be.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

JBFortunato wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:29 pm Caught a good bit of the Tufts v Conn College game today. I was underwhelmed by Tufts to be blunt. I’ll give them some leeway for rust, as this is only their second game of the season I believe. The other observation I would offer is that they sure do think they’re great.
If they played Lynchburg tomorrow I think it would be an ugly blowout in Lynchburg’s favor. At this point I think Burg and Salisbury are the teams to beat.
... and what is the commonality of these 2 teams ... many, many 5th year players. They are both tough enough in a normal year without that huge advantage.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

TidewaterLax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:19 pm ... and what is the commonality of these 2 teams ... many, many 5th year players. They are both tough enough in a normal year without that huge advantage.
Malamphy is in his 7th year of college lacrosse. I would argue that no one, other than maybe the goalie, has a bigger impact on the game than the faceoff guy each time Salisbury takes the field. So if we want to place an * on 5th years, we’re 2 years too late... just sayin.

But how would you want it? If these guys are allowed to play given the rules/exemptions, would you want your team to win it all without having to beat the best out there?

I get “a win being a win,” but there is something to be said for actually beating them on the field.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

Spoken like a true Gull or Hornet fan
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

TidewaterLax wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:11 pm Spoken like a true Gull or Hornet fan
Lol. You must be new here.
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

Yep, slumming tonight, nothing else to do.

Tell me, Salisbury 5th years are getting the old MBA in Poultry Sciences, what does Lynchburg have?
TidewaterLax

Post by TidewaterLax »

... and if they have guys who are actually 7 years into their collegiate career, maybe they now offer a Phd in Chicken Nuggetry?

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”