Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:07 pm Good one. Keep on hanging onto the past. You’ll fit in perfectly with the octogenarian cohort on some of these boards.
Buddy you came in here with no purpose other than to sh*t talk, which is fine, but I'm just dishing it back to you. If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Are the octogenarians still using that phrase?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ooh burn I can’t handle it. All this analysis and you’re 4-10. You can’t handle anyone ever saying anything negative and flip out every single time. Typical of so many here, want global recognition but limited controlled competition. Some people compete on harder playing fields and do more with less,such as hobart, Hopkins wastes what they have by looking backward and acting like the fans do.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:15 pm Ooh burn I can’t handle it. All this analysis and you’re 4-10. You can’t handle anyone ever saying anything negative and flip out every single time. Typical of so many here, want global recognition but limited controlled competition. Some people compete on harder playing fields and do more with less,such as hobart, Hopkins wastes what they have by looking backward and acting like the fans do.
The only one that's flipping out is you. I sense another one of your epic meltdowns coming so in everyone's interest I'm just going to let this one go. Moving on.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Cool. Good luck finishing out a 2-11 year and having 100 pages of people analyzing how a school blessed with so much can do so little.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:22 pm Cool. Good luck finishing out a 2-11 year and having 100 pages of people analyzing how a school blessed with so much can do so little.
2-11? Impossible.

Unless they add Asteroid and Meteor to the schedule and lose to both.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

They can only finish 2-9 if they don't win another game - just sayin

I think there of course will be plenty of time to assess the 2022 season when the time comes and it is fraught with uncertainty given the roster size/the COVID extra year for the seniors/newish staff/transfer portal. My 30,000 foot view says - assuming the naysayers are incorrect and there is not some mass exodus:
- Goalie is maybe the biggest issue
- Defense in front of the the netminder could be OK with a full year of working together and certainly there is some regarded young talent to develop such as Smith, Todaro, Rodgers. The defensive mid-field could be better too
- Face-offs look OK - improve the 50/50 face-off battles and you help tilt the field just a tiny bit
- Offense you are struggling to find experience - For example, amongst the "sophomores" Angelus is the only player to have scored a goal. I hesitated to bring that up because it raises the ghost of Owen Murphy but it is what it is.

FWIW - since I can be known to criticize them at times - I have to say I really like the college Recruiting Pages IL has - they show the two reported incoming classes right below the players that (in a non COVID world) would likely be exhausiting their eligibility with their stats. And it looks like the stats get updated - pretty slick
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... Hopkins/59
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm FWIW - since I can be known to criticize them at times - I have to say I really like the college Recruiting Pages IL has - they show the two reported incoming classes right below the players that (in a non COVID world) would likely be exhausiting their eligibility with their stats. And it looks like the stats get updated - pretty slick
It looks like they're headed in a direction that I imagine resembles the big football and basketball recruiting sites. I've never actually spent time on those sites, so I can only imagine, but Xanders is probably very familiar with them and pushing IL towards that model. I pulled up the Syracuse page, because I figured I'd be more familiar with those players. The page didn't really show me much of value. If there was a depth chart and showed where the HS class of '21 might fit in that depth chart, that might be useful. The interested players at the bottom of the screen was the only new info I got, but even that might be worth very little.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm FWIW - since I can be known to criticize them at times - I have to say I really like the college Recruiting Pages IL has - they show the two reported incoming classes right below the players that (in a non COVID world) would likely be exhausiting their eligibility with their stats. And it looks like the stats get updated - pretty slick
It is a great resource, only thing is I wish it were updated more frequently. The '21 and '22 classes are each missing a player ('21 middie Hakim Hicks and '22 FOGO Nicholas Lane), and I believe the '22 goalie Lucas Lawas reclassed to be a '23 (meaning we still might recruit another '22 goalie). Nitpicks I suppose given that it's really the only place online with an exhaustive list of recruits in one place w/ HS, club info and for some written scouting reports.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 pm
It is a great resource, only thing is I wish it were updated more frequently. The '21 and '22 classes are each missing a player ('21 middie Hakim Hicks and '22 FOGO Nicholas Lane), and I believe the '22 goalie Lucas Lawas reclassed to be a '23 (meaning we still might recruit another '22 goalie). Nitpicks I suppose given that it's really the only place online with an exhaustive list of recruits in one place w/ HS, club info and for some written scouting reports.
Matt might not like me saying this, but I really liked laxpower's recruit database. I think it was accurate and pretty exhaustive. Also, I could easily copy and paste it into a spreadsheet for fantasy draft use.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:52 pm
IL has a missing or update data link.
Let them know if a recruit is missing.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

our outgoing class is loaded w/high end recruits and the incoming one only has one xanders rated kid and you wonder how PM is going to invest all that freed up $. One of the key questions for the offseason is does he go hard for transfers who could keep the program competitive and provide leadership or go after true recruits who might be around longer but require more time to develop.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm They can only finish 2-9 if they don't win another game - just sayin

I think there of course will be plenty of time to assess the 2022 season when the time comes and it is fraught with uncertainty given the roster size/the COVID extra year for the seniors/newish staff/transfer portal. My 30,000 foot view says - assuming the naysayers are incorrect and there is not some mass exodus:
- Defense in front of the the netminder could be OK with a full year of working together and certainly there is some regarded young talent to develop such as Smith, Todaro, Rodgers. The defensive mid-field could be better too
- Face-offs look OK - improve the 50/50 face-off battles and you help tilt the field just a tiny bit
- Offense you are struggling to find experience - For example, amongst the "sophomores" Angelus is the only player to have scored a goal. I hesitated to bring that up because it raises the ghost of Owen Murphy but it is what it is.

FWIW - since I can be known to criticize them at times - I have to say I really like the college Recruiting Pages IL has - they show the two reported incoming classes right below the players that (in a non COVID world) would likely be exhausiting their eligibility with their stats. And it looks like the stats get updated - pretty slick
this is why we need more peshko, grimes, mcdermott, smith, means, and whatever other baby jays they think may have a shot. Give them confidence and experience in a lost 21.
molo

Post by molo »

General business major at Hopkins? Please say it ain’t so!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:13 pm They can only finish 2-9 if they don't win another game - just sayin

this is why we need more peshko, grimes, mcdermott, smith, means, and whatever other baby jays they think may have a shot. Give them confidence and experience in a lost 21.
Let's see...

Grimes: apart from the mysterious absence in the second half against OSU, he is playing a ton
McDermott: he's gotten a ton of time on the 2nd midfield—I think he's a promising player with a bright future but he has yet to register a point. How much more time do you want him to have?
Deans: played a lot in the first half of the year, has disappeared recently but not sure if injury or just phased out
Peshko: starting to play more
Martin: plays a ton
Dunn: appears to be the #2 FOGO

Smith is really the only guy you can argue could be playing more but we don't know what's going on in practice—maybe he's not ready yet. You have to at least try to win these games. You can't just punt on the season/bail on the team. Again—you lose the locker room and no one wants to play for a coach who does that. It's not even a consideration. Once you understand that, then, sure, there are opportunities to play the younger guys in certain spots and they are already doing a lot of that. There are six freshmen getting PT—that's a lot, especially for a team that didn't have fall ball. Another guy who was in line to play (Chauvette) has been injured. At this point, if they're up for it, maybe you redshirt some of the guys like Arteaga, Bauer, etc. so you have them through 2025.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Someone in the Penn State athletic department forgot to pay the electric bill.
However, it looks like PSU locked up a three or four seed in the BIG tournament.
Barring a miracle, Hop will be travelling to either Happy Valley or Ohio State for the First Round.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:48 pm
jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:00 pm

Let's see...

Grimes: apart from the mysterious absence in the second half against OSU, he is playing a ton
McDermott: he's gotten a ton of time on the 2nd midfield—I think he's a promising player with a bright future but he has yet to register a point. How much more time do you want him to have?
Deans: played a lot in the first half of the year, has disappeared recently but not sure if injury or just phased out
Peshko: starting to play more
Martin: plays a ton
Dunn: appears to be the #2 FOGO

Smith is really the only guy you can argue could be playing more but we don't know what's going on in practice—maybe he's not ready yet. You have to at least try to win these games. You can't just punt on the season/bail on the team. Again—you lose the locker room and no one wants to play for a coach who does that. It's not even a consideration. Once you understand that, then, sure, there are opportunities to play the younger guys in certain spots and they are already doing a lot of that. There are six freshmen getting PT—that's a lot, especially for a team that didn't have fall ball. Another guy who was in line to play (Chauvette) has been injured. At this point, if they're up for it, maybe you redshirt some of the guys like Arteaga, Bauer, etc. so you have them through 2025.
according to you there are 57 guys on this roster, 6 who don't dress, 25 who play. If the other 25 aren't better than the 2-6 folks they need to go. You and 51 and quint and carc are really hung up on the feelings of a 4-11 group of veterans as if they are 7 year old pee wee league lacrosse players getting yelled at from the sidelines. They have had 2+seasons, 2 coaches to show they are good and they have lost and now we need to see what else exists in that lockerroom that's potentially salvageable.
DocBarrister

To Win, To Win ....

Post by DocBarrister »

As a fan and alumnus, I am hopeful for a big breakthrough today against Rutgers! We know the young men have worked hard and persevered. It is time TO WIN, TO WIN.

DocBarrister (Yeah, we’d like like hell to win ... TO WIN!) 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:29 pm Barring a miracle, Hop will be travelling to either Happy Valley or Ohio State for the First Round.
Well barring an upset today or next week - it was going to be a trip to OSU or the winner of last night's game. Not ideal but still should be a competitive contest
jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:32 pm according to you there are 57 guys on this roster, 6 who don't dress, 25 who play. If the other 25 aren't better than the 2-6 folks they need to go. You and 51 and quint and carc are really hung up on the feelings of a 4-11 group of veterans as if they are 7 year old pee wee league lacrosse players getting yelled at from the sidelines. They have had 2+seasons, 2 coaches to show they are good and they have lost and now we need to see what else exists in that lockerroom that's potentially salvageable.
More delusion and inaccuracies. I am not hung up on anyone's feelings. I have continually - my god ad nauseum - said the roster is too big by a large factor. Here's the main point - While some of us may get tidbits from time to time - unless you have a real direct line into PM/Jr/Special K you don't KNOW jack. So this is all speculation of the highest order. to wit:
- Given COVID and no fans - with the exception of Fernandez who we KNOW suffered a knee injury before the seaason - we don't really KNOW who's out for injury and what injury they might have. When I saw the doctor reach under Chris Boland's jersey and do the shoulder collarbone press - I pretty much knew they thought he broke his collarbone. When you see a player with a jersey number umpty ump on his sweatpants and he's in a boot or on crutches or in a wrist cast - well there you go. Other fans posters could see the same thing and it generated information. So several of these players that we might want to see could be in fact unable to play
- HF16 is absolutely correct - why do you bring up Grimes? He's either started on attack or played some mid-field in every game. It would be hard to conceive of a scenario where he doesn't play a major role for Hopkins in '22 (unless he left).
- These kids work hard - any coach worth his salt with a conference tournament on the horizon is not going to raise a white flag and say "season's over fellas - thanks for your 4+ hours a day devoted to this - but we're on to 2022. Don't let the door hit you on the butt on the way out." It might be one thing if under the old construct you knew right now the season was over...i.e. there was no way you could catch OSU/PSU and there were only 4 teams that made it. Then maybe you could get it out there that some youngsters are going to get some time - but that is not the case. Play/coach until the final whistle or you'll lose the room.
- Again back to HF16 - he's correctly pointed out that Peshko has appeared in half the games and McDermott has appeared in all but 1. There are certainly other freshmen mid-fielders that have not - They get their opportunities - every day in practice now. If they are not currently better options than the players who are out there - then they shouldn't be out there.
- Defense is tricky - I submit IMO the goalie position has not played well. The SSDM positon was rebuilt from scratch. It's interesting that there has been no Glassmeyer and there clearly has been some major tinkering. To start the year we took 2 former offensive middies - now juniors - and threw them out there along with a former close defender who played on man down. But all in all I think they have played well in stretches - not off the charts but better than the beginning of last year. And again - you don't KNOW who is hurt.
- Finally maybe he is absolutely thinking about 2022 - he has a roster with 57 names on it - I forgot about Hakim Hicks - so he actually has a class of 12 incoming players - he only HAS to say goodbye to 1 player - Williams - so theoretically his player pool is 68. Think about that - it's probably twice the size of some of Hopkins championship teams in the 70's/80's. Now clearly we are in for Mad Max's Fury Road in the offseason but since we don't KNOW anything maybe PM is actually planning for 2022.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-the veterans are 4-11 players. This is exactly the situation that the 2010 veterans played themselves into and petro benched them for younger guys and you saw how that played out on the field in 2011-12. It certainly didn't hurt recruiting judging by the classes he hauled in after that. There is nothing that brett baskin, evan zinn, shure, shilling, dipietro, and keough are bringing today that is arguably better today or for the future of the program than what younger guys could bring. The argument to play them is that their feelings might get hurt. Too bad. You never mention that the younger kids watching these veterans lose week in week out might have feelings too and work hard too and might be excited to see the field. Then you have williams, delaney, reinson, disimone, and lyne, credible players, but again the senior nucleus of a 2-6 team going nowhere where the minutes could offer the staff a chance to evaluate where guys who could be a part of a winning program moving forward are legit.
-You've criticized me personally several times for wanting better coverage of the program and you've just outline a number of different storylines that deserve coverage and haven't gotten it.
-it's fair to ask why PM didn't bring in a young goalie w/kirson last fall.
-big ten plus I get it. Nebraska wants some $ for parents to watch its volleyball team, but when it's hopkins and the money isn't going to us, it makes no sense and this needs to be addressed by homewood.

-on a plus note, the 22 forum on how you get from the 68 who could be on the roster plus whatever kids might transfer in to the 25 we see spring 2022, should make for fascinating content for xanders or someone who can tell us who the heck the bellarmine goalie or high point midfielder or penn lsm recruit castoff we get coming are.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 2:30 pm.
-it's fair to ask why PM didn't bring in a young goalie w/kirson last fall.
It’s not hard to figure out. Koesterer advocated for him and convinced PM he was an upgrade and all they needed. So far that hasn’t been the case.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”