Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 am There is a habit among many in the lacrosse community to take what one or two delusional Hopkins people say here or on other outlets and assume that is the Official Opinion of Hopkins alumni. It's not. In fact, it seems to me that most of the optimism about a near-future turnaround is coming from fans of other teams.
The problem is kind of embodied by Quint in this podcast and anyone that wants to pay attention to like Tinneys twitter feed or whatever. This whole "storm in a coke bottle" is fueled by anyone paying attention to the drivel that is social media. "I talked to Alumni" "PMs inbox is filled with a bunch of former players giving him advice and voicing their displeasure". All of this is kind of Response Bias, those with these views really feel compelled to voice it, while most people with a more subdued viewpoint aren't participating in the "discussion".

Adding to that I'd say there's still some bits of delusion here and there still within the general congregation of the converted. At some point some of the converts still need to come to accept that maybe Player X isn't actually as elite of a player right now in college as they might have been thinking and hoping. Do we have some very good players on this team? Sure. But like it's looking like Joey Epstein is not going to be the generational type talent many thought and hoped he would be for JHU and I don't think it's the fault of the new coaching staff. He hasn't been the same since the injury and even then maybe some of it was a flash before he got fully scouted and accounted for? To another degree guys like Cole Williams have been touted on this forum or on the broadcasts for years as being "elite playmakers" and the reality is they just haven't been playing to that level. Last year it was "we absolutely need to have Zinn out there" and he's just not getting the job done offensively. Even within these guys great performances with the great play our guys make they are often also making a bad play or not so good decision that leads to a costly turnover.
jhu7276

Post by jhu7276 »

The women’s fencing team is more of a national “power” than Men’s lacrosse...sheesh.. A poster made the point a few years ago that schools like Notre Dame and Duke which are of similar “academic ilk” to JHU remain competitive year in year out now in college D1 lacrosse and we can’t even break the top 25. No excuses. Extremely disappointing and Daniels has to take the hit as Pres...(rant now over).

😡
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu7276 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 pm Extremely disappointing and Daniels has to take the hit as Pres...(rant now over).
Still don't understand what Daniels should have done that he didn't do or did that he should not have done.

Should he have recognized that Petro was going 50 cal guns blazing on early recruiting and put a stop to it? Boy that's asking alot - while life is not bad for RD out in Montecito - alot of things cross a University President's desk these days and lacrosse is probably legitimately on the back burner. I still get back to the following:
- He let Petro have his season in 2013 when he could have stopped it
- The facility that was badly needed to put some street cred into the program's resources was built under his watch
- I have not heard of one example where a lacrosse recruit was denied admission evidenced by the fact that the all too full Hopkins early recruiting classes often had 90-100% enrollment and if players were lost it was likely due to poaching or Petro gently orchestrating things behind the scenes
Again give me a specific example of where his leadership failed the program - I freely admit I don't know anything to the contrary but nobody has produced anything to the contrary except that opinions that he has chased good profs/drs and administrators away which has nothing to do with lacrosse. You have my attention.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:36 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am PM spoke the truth about Epstein.

And Epstein hasn’t done anything recently to earn latitude for taking plays off.

Playing him for 10 more minutes would not likely hbe changed much against UMich. Hopkins just isn’t real good right now.
What plays is he taking off? He wasn’t benched for taking plays off he was benched because he wasn’t shooting well.
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:37 am On the heels of 3 for 16 shooting and 0 assists in the prior 2 games not many people could argue with
"He just needs to play a little better, I don't think he's been very consistent lately, and I don't think he's helping us enough. I think he's a very good player who - when he's playing well - is great."

The part that I think is setting everyone's hair on fire was the last little tidbit - "When he's not, it's really tough to struggle with him." I have a theory about what that might mean but I'll keep it to myself

The overall point is not the veracity of the comment but whether it should have been said at all. I absolutely agree with the statement - it is clear he didn't need to say it.

Everyone goes hard when they have the ball in their stick. I was looking more at the smaller things- Rides, getting to the spots setting up the dodge, chasing out shots.

Some attackmen and players in general are "fair-weather" players. They do the right things when things go their way. and the team is winning. When things get tough or the team is losing, "doing the right thing" begins to slip.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm
jrn19 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:36 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:28 am PM spoke the truth about Epstein.

And Epstein hasn’t done anything recently to earn latitude for taking plays off.

Playing him for 10 more minutes would not likely hbe changed much against UMich. Hopkins just isn’t real good right now.
What plays is he taking off? He wasn’t benched for taking plays off he was benched because he wasn’t shooting well.
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:37 am On the heels of 3 for 16 shooting and 0 assists in the prior 2 games not many people could argue with
"He just needs to play a little better, I don't think he's been very consistent lately, and I don't think he's helping us enough. I think he's a very good player who - when he's playing well - is great."

The part that I think is setting everyone's hair on fire was the last little tidbit - "When he's not, it's really tough to struggle with him." I have a theory about what that might mean but I'll keep it to myself

The overall point is not the veracity of the comment but whether it should have been said at all. I absolutely agree with the statement - it is clear he didn't need to say it.

Everyone goes hard when they have the ball in their stick. I was looking more at the smaller things- Rides, getting to the spots setting up the dodge, chasing out shots.

Some attackmen and players in general are "fair-weather" players. They do the right things when things go their way. and the team is winning. When things get tough or the team is losing, "doing the right thing" begins to slip.
Yeah, those are all things to my eye that he's doing well. The effort is not an issue. Just not hitting his shots in a bit of a stagnant offense
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They just hate Daniels because he's not Brody. He didn't put on lacrosse pads and go to practice as a publicity stunt. The only games he goes to are Homecoming. He cares more about academics than sports (as he should). He supports the program when asked but doesn't go out of his way to pump up the brand. He's not a "lax guy." But he's allowed the lacrosse program to be what it needs to be to be successful. How do I know that? It's already happened.

There were some VERY good top 5 Hopkins teams in 2011, 2012, 2014, and of course 2015—those all occurred under Daniels' watch. Of course all except the 2015 team choked in the playoffs but those were good teams with good players. Durkin, Ranagan, Boland, Wharton, Burkhart, Castronova, Benn, Bassett, the Stanwicks, Brown, Poppleton, Dolente, Pellegrino, Reilly, Crawley, Tinney, Fields—all these guys played in and/or were recruited to Hopkins during Daniels' presidency. Some were but most were not recruited as middle schoolers. Daniels didn't prevent the team from being ranked #1 after beating UVA at Klockner in 2012. If you are good enough to be ranked #1 in the country late in the season then it's probably the case that the administration is not sabotaging you. How many times did we host a first round game in that stretch? It's not the president's fault they couldn't win the big one in May.
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:19 pm Some attackmen and players in general are "fair-weather" players. They do the right things when things go their way. and the team is winning. When things get tough or the team is losing, "doing the right thing" begins to slip.
Doesn't seem like you've been watching games. Epstein was diving to the endline on every shot against OSU even when he wasn't scoring any points. He was in the middle of every single GB scrum on the offensive end of the field (and came up with a few good ones). Also forced a CT on the ride. He's leading offensive GBs on this team by a significant margin. I think that says a fair amount about who is trying to do the right things even when the team stinks. He isn't a fairweather player. He's just struggling with his shooting and some decision-making that comes along with that.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Grimes wins B1G freshman of the week despite only playing one half

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2021/4/1 ... -week.aspx
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 am If Petro had Ament - he probably would have been playing midfield
OK, now that's funny. Well done 51.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

nyjay wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:11 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:13 am If Petro had Ament - he probably would have been playing midfield
OK, now that's funny. Well done 51.
Or long stick middie.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

[quote=HopFan1
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:34 am Stupid comment - you know what I mean - glad you're counting Hopkins CTOs
CTO? Hell, this season and last is causing me CTE.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm
jhu7276 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:20 pm Extremely disappointing and Daniels has to take the hit as Pres...(rant now over).
Still don't understand what Daniels should have done that he didn't do or did that he should not have done.

Should he have recognized that Petro was going 50 cal guns blazing on early recruiting and put a stop to it? Boy that's asking alot - while life is not bad for RD out in Montecito - alot of things cross a University President's desk these days and lacrosse is probably legitimately on the back burner. I still get back to the following:
- The facility that was badly needed to put some street cred into the program's resources was built under his watch
- I have not heard of one example where a lacrosse recruit was denied admission evidenced by the fact that the all too full Hopkins early recruiting classes often had 90-100% enrollment and if players were lost it was likely due to poaching or Petro gently orchestrating things behind the scenes
Again give me a specific example of where his leadership failed the program - I freely admit I don't know anything to the contrary but nobody has produced anything to the contrary except that opinions that he has chased good profs/drs and administrators away which has nothing to do with lacrosse. You have my attention.
Here are FIVE:

1) Daniels pushed AD Tom Calder OUT. No successful AD like Tom suddenly has a desire to go into fundraising for a university at that point of your career, when you have a much more fun job at being an AD, around sports, and around the student-athletes. Fundraising is like prostitution, asking a bunch of old farts for money. There is NO WAY that was voluntary. Tom has, in fact, told me that it was time to move on and voluntary, but there are things you have to say after the deed is done to keep what job you have. I respected what Tom told me, but I know damn well he couldn’t tell me the full truth. And he’s got far more PR skills and smarts to keep his job than PM is exhibiting lately.

Long term - this has severely damaged the “Hopkins Brand” on the sports-related side of that Brand, because look what’s transpired since Calder got moved out. The Hopkins Brand absolutely DOES tie into fundraising, maybe not as a huge percentage compared to what a few major Bloombergesque gifts from dying people can do to inflate fundraising totals, but I’ve told my friends in Development for years to keep touting the sports-related Brand to Alumni. Now look where we are.

2) Daniels was behind the hiring of Shanihan. Look how that turned out. Penn connections. I was convinced at the time that I was looking at a hired hitman to do one main job: get rid of Petro. The way they made that staff walk the plank to the very end of their contract was cheap, BS and demeaning. Hopkins was too damn cheap to even buy them out a year earlier and give them ways to plan ahead with their lives.

Instead, not only did they make them walk the plank, which I figured meant they had a job until around Jun 30th, 2020, but HOLY HELL - apparently Petro’s contract had a statement in it that the contract concluded 30 days after the end of the season (or something to that effect), and with the season ended in mid-March due to COVID - they lowered the boom in mid-April, thirty days TO THE DAY (IIRC) after the MSM OT win.

That was just stone cold. Yeah, it might have been time for a change, but how Hopkins went about this was pathetic. I will not donate one further red cent to Hopkins because of this. No, I’m not Bloomberg. But I could have continued to contribute modest sums and healthy sums at death, but NFW now. That ship sailed. I’m contributing to the USNA instead, an institution that I respect.

3) Shanihan hires Baker. That might be one or two levels removed from Daniels, but it still has his fingerprints on it. He had to allow Shanihan to move away from being the AD so soon and letting an even newer AD be hired. Talk about moving away from Technique and Tradition. The best part of hiring Baker? Shanihan didn’t have to be the triggerman in the hit job on Petro and staff. The old adage: hire someone else to do your dirty work.

I hear Baker is good at PowerPoint presentations, especially those delivered to the NYC-area lacrosse alumni. And when her presentation makes no sense and her two coaches try to help her out by offering explanations to the attendees, what does Baker do? She calls the two coaches into her office back in Baltimore first thing the next morning to ream them out. Tucker and Petro put up with that crap - around DEC 2019. Fact. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that. Here’s an upstart AD, reaming out two legendary coaches who have devoted most of their professional lives to Hopkins and supporting the many kids - student-athletes - in guiding them to become better people, great athletes, graduating, and staying the hell out of national headlines like Duke and Virginia. They represent The Brand.

That’s the state of Hopkins’ current front office leadership.

I contend it’s a bunch of newbies who have a severe lack of respect and no knowledge of the history that’s gone on before them, and they are making great strides in tearing down that great history. It’s their way or the highway.

4) Baker hires Milliman - a connection of hers from Cornell. Again - this definitely is a level or two away from Daniels, perhaps by design, see above, but I severely doubt he didn’t have it run up his flagpole and approved it before the hiring was done and announced. And it directly traces back through events 1 through 3 described above. It’s how we got to where we are today.

5) Daniels closed PJ’s. He and he alone killed it. And that is directly from Jerry Smith (RIP) to me, at the last Hopkins Fall Alumni event that I attended.

If you don’t know the significance of that, well, trust me. There’s a reason why Petro very respectfully referred to Jerry as Coach Smith at events. Jerry was a huge presence in the Hopkins sports world, with a huge heart, a friend to everyone, and I will forever miss him and what he did for the program.

Some of you can praise Daniels forever. I’m waiting for him to go away and rot in Montecito.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Who is YOUR Jacob Marley "
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

I don’t care what you, in particular, think. Period.
CharmCityLaxMan

Post by CharmCityLaxMan »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 pm

Here are FIVE:

1) Daniels pushed AD Tom Calder OUT. No successful AD like Tom suddenly has a desire to go into fundraising for a university at that point of your career, when you have a much more fun job at being an AD, around sports, and around the student-athletes. Fundraising is like prostitution, asking a bunch of old farts for money. There is NO WAY that was voluntary. Tom has, in fact, told me that it was time to move on and voluntary, but there are things you have to say after the deed is done to keep what job you have. I respected what Tom told me, but I know damn well he couldn’t tell me the full truth. And he’s got far more PR skills and smarts to keep his job than PM is exhibiting lately.

Long term - this has severely damaged the “Hopkins Brand” on the sports-related side of that Brand, because look what’s transpired since Calder got moved out. The Hopkins Brand absolutely DOES tie into fundraising, maybe not as a huge percentage compared to what a few major Bloombergesque gifts from dying people can do to inflate fundraising totals, but I’ve told my friends in Development for years to keep touting the sports-related Brand to Alumni. Now look where we are.

2) Daniels was behind the hiring of Shanihan. Look how that turned out. Penn connections. I was convinced at the time that I was looking at a hired hitman to do one main job: get rid of Petro. The way they made that staff walk the plank to the very end of their contract was cheap, BS and demeaning. Hopkins was too damn cheap to even buy them out a year earlier and give them ways to plan ahead with their lives.

Instead, not only did they make them walk the plank, which I figured meant they had a job until around Jun 30th, 2020, but HOLY HELL - apparently Petro’s contract had a statement in it that the contract concluded 30 days after the end of the season (or something to that effect), and with the season ended in mid-March due to COVID - they lowered the boom in mid-April, thirty days TO THE DAY (IIRC) after the MSM OT win.

That was just stone cold. Yeah, it might have been time for a change, but how Hopkins went about this was pathetic. I will not donate one further red cent to Hopkins because of this. No, I’m not Bloomberg. But I could have continued to contribute modest sums and healthy sums at death, but NFW now. That ship sailed. I’m contributing to the USNA instead, an institution that I respect.

3) Shanihan hires Baker. That might be one or two levels removed from Daniels, but it still has his fingerprints on it. He had to allow Shanihan to move away from being the AD so soon and letting an even newer AD be hired. Talk about moving away from Technique and Tradition. The best part of hiring Baker? Shanihan didn’t have to be the triggerman in the hit job on Petro and staff. The old adage: hire someone else to do your dirty work.

I hear Baker is good at PowerPoint presentations, especially those delivered to the NYC-area lacrosse alumni. And when her presentation makes no sense and her two coaches try to help her out by offering explanations to the attendees, what does Baker do? She calls the two coaches into her office back in Baltimore first thing the next morning to ream them out. Tucker and Petro put up with that crap - around DEC 2019. Fact. Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall for that. Here’s an upstart AD, reaming out two legendary coaches who have devoted most of their professional lives to Hopkins and supporting the many kids - student-athletes - in guiding them to become better people, great athletes, graduating, and staying the hell out of national headlines like Duke and Virginia. They represent The Brand.

That’s the state of Hopkins’ current front office leadership.

I contend it’s a bunch of newbies who have a severe lack of respect and no knowledge of the history that’s gone on before them, and they are making great strides in tearing down that great history. It’s their way or the highway.

4) Baker hires Milliman - a connection of hers from Cornell. Again - this definitely is a level or two away from Daniels, perhaps by design, see above, but I severely doubt he didn’t have it run up his flagpole and approved it before the hiring was done and announced. And it directly traces back through events 1 through 3 described above. It’s how we got to where we are today.

5) Daniels closed PJ’s. He and he alone killed it. And that is directly from Jerry Smith (RIP) to me, at the last Hopkins Fall Alumni event that I attended.

If you don’t know the significance of that, well, trust me. There’s a reason why Petro very respectfully referred to Jerry as Coach Smith at events. Jerry was a huge presence in the Hopkins sports world, with a huge heart, a friend to everyone, and I will forever miss him and what he did for the program.

Some of you can blow Daniels forever. I’m waiting for him to go away and rot in Montecito.
Come gather 'round people
Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters
Around you have grown
And accept it that soon
You'll be drenched to the bone
If your time to you is worth savin'
And you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'
Come writers and critics
Who prophesize with your pen
And keep your eyes wide
The chance won't come again
And don't speak too soon
For the wheel's still in spin
And there's no tellin' who
That it's namin'
For the loser now
Will be later to win
For the times they are a-changin'
Come senators, congressmen
Please heed the call
Don't stand in the doorway
Don't block up the hall
For he that gets hurt
Will be he who has stalled
The battle outside ragin'
Will soon shake your windows
And rattle your walls…
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm Some of you can praise Daniels forever. I’m waiting for him to go away and rot in Montecito.
Wombat, this is a public forum. Kids read it. Clean up the language.
Laxwatch2007

Post by Laxwatch2007 »

Wombat Mod Emertis,

Tell how you really feel.

I have been practicing law (litigation) for 35 years and until I read your blast a few minutes ago, I though that I knew something about unburdening myself through print. I am in awe.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Wombat is the hero we need, but don't deserve right now
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:40 pm
Hey, never correct the boss in public. Sometimes you just have to bite your tongue. The people who know will praise you for it later.
Interesting history Wombat.
The first thing out of my mouth when they call me asking for money is "Daniels..."
If they want to truly get rid of someone, first they have to get rid of his cover.
The Milliman hire has always looked suspect. First, they hire a search firm. Then they interview 10 people. He gets the job but then they don't mention that they knew each other at Cornell at the Press conference. No one bothers to ask about it. Secretive.
I was expecting either Marr or Nads to get hired. Definitely shocked me. Sadly, a year later, the whole thing is looking more questionable by the minute.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

It was an impressive rant - find a couple touches of irony
1. Weren't you in the Petro has to go camp? Seems like there were very legitimate reasons to execute the coaching change as soon as possible - alot of them could be viewed as benefitting the men's lacrosse program and its players and its recruits - if you waited until June 30 to pull the plug and then did a search - you'd have a new coach in place by what? August 1st? '20 class showing up for school and fall ball in under 4 weeks (back then no one knew how bad the virus was going to be) - all the '21 class has gone in the wind and no infrastructure to think about the '22 kids
2. I could find you an aircraft carrier full of folks/former navy lacrosse players that thought the way the United State Naval Academy treated Richie Meade was reprehensible

Bottom line - you don't like (to put it mildly) the current chain of command at Johns Hopkins athletics and its effects on the "brand" (I hate that word BTW). I'm not sure I understand all your points - especially your second paragraph.

The fact remains, however, that most of what you put forth doesn't seem to carry much tangible evidence with respect to the men's lacrosse program unless you wanted Petro to stay - see point #1 above. I know the world is changing and Hopkins lacrosse will never be what it was etc. etc. but Petro - as far as I can tell - got most or alot of what he wanted. For example, I was told at a lacrosse event by an esteemed Hopkins coach of another sport that admissions standards for D3 sports were changing and it was going to hurt those programs but that standards for lacrosse were NOT.

All of a sudden - hiring Milliman is an issue? Look, he may turn out to be a meh coach or even a disaster. And you may have wanted a Baird man to coach Baird men or whatever but Milliman was the head coach at friggin Cornell. It wasn't like they pulled a Gerry Faust. He was a legitimate candidate. AND he inherited a MESS and then had to say "Thank you sir may I have another" when served the COVID poop sandwich (the biggest portion possible in the lacrosse coaching world). Yes - Hopkins is 2-6 - they have played 32 quarters of lacrosse - all but 7 have been very competitive. Yes - IMO - he made a mistake with his public Epstein comments - it created a firestorm that was mostly unnecessary and could have been easily avoided. But people make mistakes - let's see if he repeats them and we need to see a few years of his players to see if he can do anything - not with the S show placed in his lap.

I guess it will be in about 3 weeks when Hopkins season ends (I don't anticipate a heroic run through the BIG tourney - for all their hard work I would like to see a victory in the first round game for the players). Then when folks start to see who hits the portal, who doesn't exercise their last year of eligibility (or advised not to) and the incoming freshmen it will become more clear how '22 may look but the light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming train in '22.

What happened to "enjoy any minute of Hopkins lacrosse you get to watch?" Who said that a couple months ago? I forget.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”