Hobart 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2021

Post by Ketch »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:02 am As an SJU fan I agree with most of your observations
Holtby was very good again today
SJU got some great looks late and he made some great stops
If someone offered you 50% at the X before the game you all would have signed up for that.
Fundamentals and clearing Hobart’s biggest issues. Is that correctable at this stage or just who you are??
We’ll find out. The soft part of your NEC schedule is left to correct those things.
Hobart is not in a bad spot
SJU was equally bad in Q2 as Hobart was in Q4.
Always thought it would be a close game. They always are it seems
Your announcer is an all time homer. Not necessarily a bad thing
St. Joe‘s has a very tough team, so you have to show up at your best to beat them. I‘d like to think that yesterday was not Hobart‘s best. I still expect Hobart to make the NEC tournament- but as the 4th seed. That will undoubtedly be a rematch with St. Joe‘s. I don‘t think we can expect the same results against Cole again, so in any rematch the Hawks would be prohibitive favorites.

Our announcer, Ted Baker, is a total homer, which is why we love him so much. He‘s definitely not stingy with the criticism though. That goes for the Statesmen as well as for the officials at times. And I think that he always acknowledges the other team. No one needs to tell him that teams like Bryant and St. Joe‘s play good lacrosse and that it takes a lot to beat them.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:43 pm
ABV 8.3% wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:29 pm
LRoggy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm Holtby should sue for child support . . .

First time I can say we THREW AWAY A GAME . . . again and againa and again. Monday practice should be anyone who drops a ball does a mile on the track.
Right............

....how does running improve stick skills?
Easy... You don't focus n throwing and catching.... you run until you can do what you should be able to do at the D I level. Focusand quick, clear thinking were lacking today.
Yup.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:28 am
LRoggy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:10 pm Holtby should sue for child support . . .

First time I can say we THREW AWAY A GAME . . . again and againa and again. Monday practice should be anyone who drops a ball does a mile on the track.
Right............

Easy... You don't focus n throwing and catching.... you run until you can do what you should be able to do at the D I level. Focusand quick, clear thinking were lacking today.
Yup.
Lot of FR and Sophs who’ve played very little lacrosse in the last two years are playing due to injuries. Not sure why Knox was out, that didn’t help but we rely on 5-7 Fr-Sophs (who only played 5 games last year) heavily including Barthelme, Baltzer, Grooms, Dattellas, Horton, Bach and Gullace plus sometimes Durkin. Obviously having a couple of guys like Herlihy and Romm would be helpful but doesn’t quite explain the clearing issues. Baltzer is really strong I love his game. You’d think between the wealth of veteran long sticks and close D we’d be able to clear better that’s what I don’t get.

That plus giving up goals in Q1 & Q2 in the last 30 seconds of each period, of only 5 goals they got in the first half, two stupid give ups. It’s also clear other teams are going to grind it out and try to keep the ball away as much as possible. SJU really used a lot of clock on possessions in the second half.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:59 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:28 am

Right............

Yup.
Lot of FR and Sophs who’ve played very little lacrosse in the last two years are playing due to injuries. Not sure why Knox was out, that didn’t help but we rely on 5-7 Fr-Sophs (who only played 5 games last year) heavily including Barthelme, Baltzer, Grooms, Dattellas, Horton, Bach and Gullace plus sometimes Durkin. Obviously having a couple of guys like Herlihy and Romm would be helpful but doesn’t quite explain the clearing issues. Baltzer is really strong I love his game. You’d think between the wealth of veteran long sticks and close D we’d be able to clear better that’s what I don’t get.

That plus giving up goals in Q1 & Q2 in the last 30 seconds of each period, of only 5 goals they got in the first half, two stupid give ups. It’s also clear other teams are going to grind it out and try to keep the ball away as much as possible. SJU really used a lot of clock on possessions in the second half.
You make a lot of valid points. We really don‘t have very much experienced depth on offense. Losing both Holden and Scott has cost us dearly. As for the long sticks and defense, yes, you would expect them to perform much better. A week ago we were expressing our admiration for how tough the guys hung against Bryant. We‘re going to find out a lot more about this team in the coming weeks. Can they get over this huge loss and start to show some improvement, or are they going to tank? There‘s still much to play for.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Not to spin anything positive, but at the end of Q2, we were looking very good. For about 5 minutes there, I thought "Oh, here is the team I know." IMO, the inside goal by Bach in Q2 was the best of the game because it involved good vision, passing, off ball movement, and a well-placed quick shot. I think Madonna got the assist on that, which means he probably passed up an outside shot for a better percentage opportunity. Mott also played very well at the end of Q2.
The clears are a disaster, as is EMO, but nothing is more important to improve than basic catching and throwing. What pisses me off is that stick work, catching and throwing, and wall ball, are three things that could have been done all Fall.
One other thing: Blanchard did great. Congrats to him also for being inducted into Phi Beta Kappa. Talented, smart, and humble.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ditto on the congrats to Blanchard! Phi Bet Kappa is a great honor. Now back to basics. While having a good bit of whip in you stick is great if you have time and room to crank it up, it's a mess for passing anything over 5 yards. Is shooting 1 for 7 worth not being able to make effective passes? Don't know why Yanko wasn't back out there. He obviously understands the game and where and how to move. Benching him because a pass easy pass was whiffed on doesn't make sense. I like Mitrow. He will get better. But throwing him in during crunch time with little real playing experience over the past 2+ years (injuries I've head) is difficult situation for him. Pet peeve of mine is killing us. Too many guys are hanging their sticks doing one hand cradles. If you going to try to drive by your cover man, expect a double at this level. At that point you need 2 hands on the stick. As good as our players are, we don't have a Lyle Thompson who can dangle his stick and get away with it. Echoing what a few posters have said, wall ball and passing drills are what's needed this week.
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

NEC tournament prediction:

Winner of SJU @ Bryant will get 1 seed and host (Bryant should not be allowed to host if only their parents are allowed to attend imo)

Hobart wins out and would be the 2/3 seed

LIU loses to Bryant and SJU making them the 4 seed
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

[
build it
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oligarchy thanks you......same as it evah was
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

ABV 8.3% wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 am

Right............

Easy... You don't focus on throwing and catching.... you run until you can do what you should be able to do at the D I level. Focus and quick, clear thinking were lacking today.
How do you differentiate between a CTO and a TO....in real time? Or, is it just the obvious drops?

A D1 athlete should be able to run a mile in well under 6 or 7 minutes....easy. coach to player ratio already low, you putting one of them on "running watch" duty ?

While running your mile, they could have gotten 200, or more, passing practice "touches" .

Do you collect all the dropped ball players, and start to run the mile immediately after the dropped pass? Or, do you do it all, collectively, at the end of practice? Lay this out for us......sounds like a great use of team practice time.

Yeah, when tiger woods misses one of those 50 putts in a row........instead starting all over again.....he runs a mile after missing a putt :lol: :lol:

you must have a football background.....where "skill" can be "willed" ;)

technique is not the same as skill....
+1 the former is old school thinking..do you punish kids or try and make them better? A one goal loss with sloppy play is not the end of the world.
ABV 8.3%

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Div. I and all
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ABV 8.3%

"punishment" drills

Post by ABV 8.3% »

Ultimate Lacrosse: based on frizbee
Last edited by ABV 8.3% on Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TopShelf585

Post by TopShelf585 »

How do you differentiate between a CTO and a TO....in real time? Or, is it just the obvious drops?
It should be pretty clear for the stats guys- if a defending player causes the turnover he is credited with a CTO.
The player that gets the ball taken away is credited with a TO.

The problem we're having is when you have significantly more Turnovers then the opposing team has CTO.
This means that we're having too many unforced errors/turnovers.

Hobart Turnovers- 19
SJU Caused Turnovers- 7

Difference- 12 turnovers that were not caused by SJU- that will kill you.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 am

Right............

Easy... You don't focus on throwing and catching.... you run until you can do what you should be able to do at the D I level. Focus and quick, clear thinking were lacking today.

A D1 athlete should be able to run a mile in well under 6 or 7 minutes....easy. coach to player ratio already low, you putting one of them on "running watch" duty ?

While running your mile, they could have gotten 200, or more, passing practice "touches" .

Do you collect all the dropped ball players, and start to run the mile immediately after the dropped pass? Or, do you do it all, collectively, at the end of practice? Lay this out for us......sounds like a great use of team practice time.

Yeah, when tiger woods misses one of those 50 putts in a row........instead starting all over again.....he runs a mile after missing a putt :lol: :lol:

you must have a football background.....where "skill" can be "willed" ;)

technique is not the same as skill....
+1 the former is old school thinking..do you punish kids or try and make them better? A one goal loss with sloppy play is not the end of the world.
They have 2 losses out of 5 games already and exhibited the same lack of fundamentals in both the victories over MSM. The inability to clear at this level is inexcusable. How do you advise changing this?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Not sure if running as punishment works, but running to produce stressed situations does work. It's under the conditions of fatigue that our fundamentals fall apart and our decision-making fails. It is too late to develop those for this year, but next fall I'd be instituting lots of running and mental acuity drills.

Not sure what to do about fundamentals this year. But. the pattern is clear from the LIU game, first half of Bryant, and second half of St Joe's. We run the risk of collapse.

As far as the game is concerned, it wasn't the one point loss that bothered me. St Joe's is a good team and sometimes you lose to a good team. But it was the total collapse after being up 9 to 4. They just cant let that happen if they want to do well in the post season. Hobart still needs to find itself this year. There was a flash at the end of Q2, but we couldn't keep it up. We've seen this before ... some years we solve it and some we don't.

It is disappointing because everything was firing so well last year. But we lost something and haven't gotten it back ... yet.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:43 pm Not sure if running as punishment works, but running to produce stressed situations does work. It's under the conditions of fatigue that our fundamentals fall apart and our decision-making fails. It is too late to develop those for this year, but next fall I'd be instituting lots of running and mental acuity drills.

Not sure what to do about fundamentals this year. But. the pattern is clear from the LIU game, first half of Bryant, and second half of St Joe's. We run the risk of collapse.

As far as the game is concerned, it wasn't the one point loss that bothered me. St Joe's is a good team and sometimes you lose to a good team. But it was the total collapse after being up 9 to 4. They just cant let that happen if they want to do well in the post season. Hobart still needs to find itself this year. There was a flash at the end of Q2, but we couldn't keep it up. We've seen this before ... some years we solve it and some we don't.

It is disappointing because everything was firing so well last year. But we lost something and haven't gotten it back ... yet.
These two are burned into my soul.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2000/4/15/25620198.aspx

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2004/4/17/9765720.aspx
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:14 am
Laxgunea wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:43 pm Not sure if running as punishment works, but running to produce stressed situations does work. It's under the conditions of fatigue that our fundamentals fall apart and our decision-making fails. It is too late to develop those for this year, but next fall I'd be instituting lots of running and mental acuity drills.

These two are burned into my soul.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2000/4/15/25620198.aspx

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2004/4/17/9765720.aspx
I saw both of those games in person. How much more special would the 2004 season have been with those two games as W’s? We did beat Cornell that year, and don’t forget the 10-9 loss to a Navy team that went to the finals
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

The first one was actually a big give up to Georgetown in 2000. Up 9-3 in the third and keep in mind that was their Final Four team I’m pretty sure Brodie Merrill played on.

04 that was OSUs best team historically young until the tail end of the ECAC days. Our only loss in like 7-8 games and gave up a huge 3rd quarter lead. We beat Army, PSU, Cornell and Bucknell twice and lost to national finalist Navy in OT in the PL final.

2000 was an ugly playoff year and 04 we got turned around and sent to Cornell a week after beating them in rd 1 and lost and then Cornell lost a ugly 5-3 game to Navy in round 2
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:30 am The first one was actually a big give up to Georgetown in 2000. Up 9-3 in the third and keep in mind that was their Final Four team I’m pretty sure Brodie Merrill played on.

04 that was OSUs best team historically young until the tail end of the ECAC days. Our only loss in like 7-8 games and gave up a huge 3rd quarter lead. We beat Army, PSU, Cornell and Bucknell twice and lost to national finalist Navy in OT in the PL final.

2000 was an ugly playoff year and 04 we got turned around and sent to Cornell a week after beating them in rd 1 and lost and then Cornell lost a ugly 5-3 game to Navy in round 2
I remember the first one(G'town)..defeat from the jaws of victory. Also, G'town's Andy Flick was a Wilton, CT product, not Garden City, FWIW.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Wagner game postponed rescheduling date TBD.

https://wagnerathletics.com/news/2021/4 ... poned.aspx
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Things are getting worse, Holy Cross, Marist. I have real concerns about any schools around the tri state NYC area which would include Wags and SHU being able to finish the season.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”