D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by primitiveskills »

Welp
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

There are guys that put on the Hopkins jersey that don’t compete and it has nothing to do with their level of talent.
primitiveskills

Frustrating not to win that one. Also has to be disappointing to those predicting the imminent implosion of the program after Milliman's comments last week.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays never stopped fighting for this game, but some untimely and costly turnovers were the difference.

Has to be frustrating for the entire crew. Both the players and coaches need to find a way to get Epstein more involved.

DocBarrister :?
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think Grimes played in the second half. You never ever want a player to be hurt but I sincerely hope that was not a coach's decision. 3 goals on 3 shots and then disappeared into the night like D.B. Cooper.

Sometimes I think these players are still scarred from the experience of playing with Petro—almost like battered dogs. They tend to shrink in big moments. You can see the gears turning in their heads in crunch time. Worried about making a mistake. When you worry about making a mistake, you make a mistake. Just play.

Oh well. Was nice to see some freshmen make an impact. Grimes, Dunn, Martin, Peshko all had good games. Some hope for '22.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Too many mistakes to win, several disappointing defensive miscues leaving guys alone in the 4th when we were finally getting a few faceoff wins and even a few saves.

That said, game is tied but for the ref's "interesting" interpretation of the dive rule.

Grimes has to be injured, after letting him play through his struggles I doubt they take him out right when he was catching fire.
Last edited by Catbird on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

We lost another completely meaningless scrimmage. Showed some flashes of good more flashes of bad but there were some positives things that happened today. Would be nice to put together a full 60 against the opposition here one of these weeks though.

Coach may have said in the press it's time to be done tinkering but I don't think he was done today and that's alright by me.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:02 pm We lost another completely meaningless scrimmage. Showed some flashes of good more flashes of bad but there were some positives things that happened today. Would be nice to put together a full 60 against the opposition here one of these weeks though.

Coach may have said in the press it's time to be done tinkering but I don't think he was done today and that's alright by me.
Agreed, the time to be done tinkering with this group is Game 11 against whoever they draw in the B1G tournament (looking like it'll be OSU again at this rate).
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Catbird wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:01 pm Grimes has to be injured, after letting him play through his struggles I doubt they take him out right when he was catching fire.
He scored with 5 seconds left in the half, then didn't play again. If he got hurt, it didn't happen in the field of play.
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

If its not that then you might as well fire the coach now. I don't know what to tell you. Easy to miss things on a one-camera broadcast like that one, possible he got checked in the hand or wrist or something and it got worse during halftime lull. Pure speculation.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Just skimmed through the replay on BTN+. Grimes did not play in the 2nd half. He was standing on the sidelines in uniform next to all the other middies. They elected to only run out two 2nd mids a few times and play 5 on 5 with Delaney or Zinn standing in the corner with a defender. Baskin was out for every possession with the 2nd mids. Mixed and matched with Peshko and McDermott but the one constant was Baskin. Degnon-Angelus-Keogh was the first line, combined to score the same amount of goals in the entire game as Grimes did on three shots in one half. This is going to require an explanation.

Incidentally while I was rewatching I saw the "penalty" on Degnon again and that was easily the softest call I've seen in a lacrosse game this year and I've seen a lot. Player was not defenseless, his head was up, he had the ball, and Degnon came right at his shoulder with hands together. Textbook. OSU was softer than I remembered—guys flopping all over the place today.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

2-6.

Wlax is 3-4 and they play their final home game tomorrow, against Rutgers.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

Just brutal. I guess I have to admit that I’ve been a Pollyanna. This is worse than I thought it would be. The lack of positive trend is surprising. Really thought this team would get better as the season went on. Isn’t happening.

PM had a pretty deep reservoir of goodwill with me too. But he’s burned though a fair amount of it with the Epstein comments and the confusing personnel decisions. Making it much harder to have the entirely necessary patience. BTW - Dixon was pretty hard on PM on his IL podcast.

Would really like to hear something from the assistants.

Guess this is a full rebuild. Good news is that we’ll end up with a really good pick in next years draft. Oh, wait guess it doesn’t work that way.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

A full rebuild would can Milliman, Baker, Shanihan and Daniels.
primitiveskills

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 pm Just brutal. I guess I have to admit that I’ve been a Pollyanna. This is worse than I thought it would be. The lack of positive trend is surprising. Really thought this team would get better as the season went on. Isn’t happening.

PM had a pretty deep reservoir of goodwill with me too. But he’s burned though a fair amount of it with the Epstein comments and the confusing personnel decisions. Making it much harder to have the entirely necessary patience. BTW - Dixon was pretty hard on PM on his IL podcast.

Guess this is a full rebuild. Good news is that we’ll end up with a really good pick in next years draft. Oh, wait guess it doesn’t work that way.
I'm not so surprised, but not in a bad way. There's a ton of experimenting going on out there. Makes it hard to "trend" as a team. But Milliman is trying to figure out what he has and what he lacks on the roster, and that's becoming clear. And some of the players are really thriving in new and unexpected roles. This season was never about W-L, and you have to at least appreciate the new staff is serious about working it out.
primitiveskills

WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:05 pm A full rebuild would can Milliman, Baker, Shanihan and Daniels.
I can't tell if this is serious.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:00 pm Just brutal. I guess I have to admit that I’ve been a Pollyanna. This is worse than I thought it would be. The lack of positive trend is surprising. Really thought this team would get better as the season went on. Isn’t happening.

I'm not so surprised, but not in a bad way. There's a ton of experimenting going on out there. Makes it hard to "trend" as a team. But Milliman is trying to figure out what he has and what he lacks on the roster, and that's becoming clear. And some of the players are really thriving in new and unexpected roles. This season was never about W-L, and you have to at least appreciate the new staff is serious about working it out.
I guess. But it’s been 8 games.
primitiveskills

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:14 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:10 pm

I guess. But it’s been 8 games.
Granted. I guess what I'm saying is if you're still in player identification and development mode after 8 games, it is what it is, and its going to be difficult to see consistent progression and improvement across 8 games.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I don't want to get banned but here's a youtube video I found related to ohio state lacrosse and Johns Hopkins today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPuJlNHg4sI
here is an edited version of that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPzM9EJUgXs
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:50 pm Remember when 06 wanted to bench Cole
-I called out Milliman for not saying the goal was to win a title in his press conference
-I called for benching mabbett as a middie last year
-I called for benching mabbett as an ssdm middie this year
-I called for benching zinn last year
-I called for benching zinn this year
-I called for benching williams
-I called for benching baskin
-I called for cutting playing/practice time of grs/srs to get longer looks at underclassmen.
-I called for bringing the band and fans back
-I called for more content from Hopkinssports.com
-I called for games on btn not btn+
-I called for a centrally located dive bar off campus to replace pjs instead of a cocktail lounge serving $15 cocktails that no charles villager, student, grad student or professor is going to pay.
-I am calling for black to be permanent road jersey so I can see the numbers from these ridiculous @#$@#$@ camera angles in space big ten+ cameras use.
Those are the ones I can remember hf16.
-the milliman miami vice gif got 3.6k views. impressive.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”