Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by a fan »

frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm You guys do realize that the money from "the rich" already goes into our economy, right? They spend, invest, give it away, whatever, but it already goes into the cycle. Taxing it only changes what is done with it and who decides what is done with it. It doesn't make the proverbial pie any bigger.
Of course it makes the pie bigger, particularly when the money is so concentrated with the 1%.

How many pizzas does Bill Gates order a night. Now how many can 1,000 people order? Those 1,000 people that are just getting by will SPEND that money. Bill Gates won't.

What's Bill doing with his money? For one, he holds stock that does nothing. A big, fat nothing. It makes no direct difference to Microsoft's fortunes if that stock price is $100 per share, or $50 per share, now does it?

And now what is Bill doing with his money? How much of it stays in America? Any economist will tell you, the money for the 1% goes overseas, doing the American economy no good whatsoever.

I'm not a guy who wants to morally vilify the rich, but having so much money in the hands of so few is inherently bad for economies. You and I need customers! We need a middle class! The middle class is literally what differentiates us from 2nd and 3rd world countries.

That said, the real issue is that EVERYONE needs to pay more Federal taxes...as I've said for years, the average tax filer, across the board, is paying half of what they did under Clinton. That's unsustainable. We can't fix our financial problems by taxing the 1%, and no one else.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

It's ok, According to Ms.Harris, Trump already taxed the middle class with his tax break.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

thatsmell wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:05 pm It's ok, According to Ms.Harris, Trump already taxed the middle class with his tax break.
Had to get a kick out of that. She goes on Twitter and rants about how little "tax" returns people are getting, and yet she wants to take more from people. The comments are hillarious.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
old salt

Post by old salt »

old salt wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:29 am
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:20 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:18 pm (D) Minstrel Show in Richmond.
Flash traffic for VMI Superintendent : direct librarian to burn all past yearbooks.
The VA (D) Minstrel Show plays on.
The more icky stuff comes out on the LtGov,
the more empathetic the Gov becomes.
...moonwalking his way through colonial history.
Lordy ! Lordy !
The LtGov's 2nd accuser accused a Duke b-ball player of raping her & claims school admin did not take her seriously.
Where were Nifong & the Gang of 88 ?

The LtGov's calling for due process, while being sandwiched by the white privileged good ol boys who won't leave.
How the #MeToo (D)'s gonna adjudicate this one ?
Complicated situation for the (D) Virtue Signal Corps.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm You guys do realize that the money from "the rich" already goes into our economy, right? They spend, invest, give it away, whatever, but it already goes into the cycle. Taxing it only changes what is done with it and who decides what is done with it. It doesn't make the proverbial pie any bigger. It will buy votes though, and that is what the pols are after.
if I (not for profit/RRR home for angry souls) gives/donates one million dollars to One Mile foundation, and One mile donates one million to RRR home for angry souls, that counts, write? :roll:

This happens all the time.....at every level. Remember when people loved the, hugsNkisses, the fake news that was Warren Buffet BIG donation to charity. Only to find out that the charity he gives too is his families.....and he donates BH stock anyway. No one cares. Pick 80% of the Giving Pledge and review the vague 990 tax return.

https://givingpledge.org/

You will find enough info (sometimes, certainly enough to raise problems for tRumps) to figure out the ball washing circle of giving.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

dislaxxic wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:07 pm
frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:53 pm You guys do realize that the money from "the rich" already goes into our economy, right? They spend, invest, give it away, whatever, but it already goes into the cycle. Taxing it only changes what is done with it and who decides what is done with it. It doesn't make the proverbial pie any bigger. It will buy votes though, and that is what the pols are after.
You're just fine with the wealth and income gap we have today then, no problem there...?

But, but.......I have the exact same question? Funny how we are more alike than similar. ;)
frmanfan

Post by frmanfan »

It is shocking how such intelligent men can understand so little about how money works. Do you think Bill Gates sits at home on a mound of cash while he considers how many pizzas to order? Do you know what stock even is?

It is ok, like dis, to just come out and say that you think wealth should be redistributed, because you don't think it is fair for the few to be so much more successful (financially, as if that is the only measure) than the many. This has happened many times throughout history, and it usually doesn't work out the way the confiscators say it will, as the confiscators run out of money before all the promised results happen, or the "rich" have no more money to confiscate. Look it up.

The problem still comes down to our pols spending money we don't have, both Rs and Ds, and making promises that they know they can't keep but that gets them through the next election cycle. Doesn't matter who is POTUS, or who is in charge of the House or Senate, they all have it figured out. That is why the people, and not just in this country, are rebelling against the political elite. I don't know what the future holds, and I likely won't live to see the reckoning, but logic says it will happen and it won't end pretty.
A cold beer and a warm woman is all I need to keep me happy. Sometimes a cold beer is enough...
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Do you really think that when Bloomie donates money to Hopkins, that Hopkins endowment doesn't look to purchase investments favorable to "guns for me, none for zee" Mickey Bloomberg

amazing how blind we are
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

Wealth is already being redistributed - upward - just take a look at capital gains tax rates.

I've looked up what happens when wealth is redistributed from the wealthy in the form of 70-90% marginal tax rates for the top bracket. It's commonly referred to as America's Golden Age.

Do you really feel someone making $27,000 per day needs low taxes on additional income after that? Are they really working that much harder than you or I am?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

quote=frmanfan post_id=24579 time=1550010183 user_id=288]
It is shocking how such intelligent men can understand so little about how money works. Do you think Bill Gates sits at home on a mound of cash while he considers how many pizzas to order? Do you know what stock even is?

It is ok, like dis, to just come out and say that you think wealth should be redistributed, because you don't think it is fair for the few to be so much more successful (financially, as if that is the only measure) than the many. This has happened many times throughout history, and it usually doesn't work out the way the confiscators say it will, as the confiscators run out of money before all the promised results happen, or the "rich" have no more money to confiscate. Look it up.

The problem still comes down to our pols spending money we don't have, both Rs and Ds, and making promises that they know they can't keep but that gets them through the next election cycle. Doesn't matter who is POTUS, or who is in charge of the House or Senate, they all have it figured out. That is why the people, and not just in this country, are rebelling against the political elite. I don't know what the future holds, and I likely won't live to see the reckoning, but logic says it will happen and it won't end pretty.
[/quote]

"The problem still comes down to our pols spending money we don't have, both Rs and Ds, and making promises that they know they can't keep but that gets them through the next election cycle"

Winner winner chicken dinner... i have been opining this very opinion here since forever. There are are a bunch of problems in this country that need to be fixed, should be fixed and could be fixed if both parties wanted to. The dirty little secret is that they don't want to fix diddly jack chit. Everybody needs a gremlin to chase away to win their next re-election campaign. Fixing chit doesn't get you back in office. SAYING you will fix chit... now that is a horse of a different color. Unfortunately way too many Americans are too stupid to understand how this dog and pony show in DC works. They actually think that their folks will actually do what they say they will. How crazy is that... blind faith and trust on display for all to see. :roll:
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm Wealth is already being redistributed - upward - just take a look at capital gains tax rates.

I've looked up what happens when wealth is redistributed from the wealthy in the form of 70-90% marginal tax rates for the top bracket. It's commonly referred to as America's Golden Age.

Do you really feel someone making $27,000 per day needs low taxes on additional income after that? Are they really working that much harder than you or I am?
Do you really thinks its yours, mine or anybody elses business how much money they make a day? In the world that I grew up in if they are earning it and not breaking the law it is not of yours, mine or anybody elses business how much they earn on any given day. I am way more disturbed by the fact that you think it is any of your damn business in the first place. I call that sticking your nose where it does not belong. You have every right not to like it, but you have no damn right to judge anybody on how much money they make. That is the REAL problem here... people sticking their damn nose where it doesn't belong. If you mind your own damn business you will be busy all the time.

I know you are a business man and you work hard at your trade. I hope you have great continued success and earn boatloads full of money while doing so. How you want to spend or invest your wealth I promise you will always be none of my damn business. I have never been jealous or envious of any persons success that has worked their ass off to achieve it. If they make 10 dollars a day or 100,000 thousand dollars a day that is their business... not mine. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=if ... &FORM=VIRE
Last edited by cradleandshoot on Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
old salt

Post by old salt »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:31 pm I've looked up what happens when wealth is redistributed from the wealthy in the form of 70-90% marginal tax rates for the top bracket. It's commonly referred to as America's Golden Age.
Right. High marginal tax rates, which were easily avoided, were the reason for the USA's post-WW II golden age.

Gross tax receipts increased when top marginal rates were lowered & avoidance loopholes closed.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 pm Do you really thinks its yours, mine or anybody elses business how much money they make a day? In the world that I grew up in if they are earning it and not breaking the law it is not of yours, mine or anybody elses business how much they earn on any given day. I am way more disturbed by the fact that you think it is any of your damn business in the first place. I call that sticking your nose where it does not belong. You have every right not to like it, but you have no damn right to judge anybody on how much money they make. That is the REAL problem here... people sticking their damn nose where it doesn't belong. If you mind your own damn business you will be busy all the time.

I know you are a business man and you work hard at your trade. I hope you have great continued success and earn boatloads full of money while doing so. How you want to spend or invest your wealth I promise you will always be none of my damn business. I have never been jealous or envious of any persons success that has worked their ass off to achieve it. If they make 10 dollars a day or 100,000 thousand dollars a day that is their business... not mine. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=if ... &FORM=VIRE

It's our business what they make if they're screwing over taxpayers, screwing over workers, screwing over consumers and screwing over the country. The country wasn't founded on the monopolies of mega-corporations (we had a little tea party about that), it was founded on the hard work of the individual.

Unfortunately a lot of Americans are minding their own business, working 2-3 jobs and barely making ends meet. That's why it's my damn business.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

holmes435 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:28 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:47 pm Do you really thinks its yours, mine or anybody elses business how much money they make a day? In the world that I grew up in if they are earning it and not breaking the law it is not of yours, mine or anybody elses business how much they earn on any given day. I am way more disturbed by the fact that you think it is any of your damn business in the first place. I call that sticking your nose where it does not belong. You have every right not to like it, but you have no damn right to judge anybody on how much money they make. That is the REAL problem here... people sticking their damn nose where it doesn't belong. If you mind your own damn business you will be busy all the time.

It's our business what they make if they're screwing over taxpayers, screwing over workers, screwing over consumers and screwing over the country. The country wasn't founded on the monopolies of mega-corporations (we had a little tea party about that), it was founded on the hard work of the individual.

Unfortunately a lot of Americans are minding their own business, working 2-3 jobs and barely making ends meet. That's why it's my damn business.
Like I said... if they are not breaking the law, which would be covered under screwing over the taxpayers. The IRS is very good at making sure they get their fair share of the pie. In regards to screwing over workers... if you are in a union, then you need to discuss that with them. If you are not in a union here in NYS there exists the department of labor. All employers just LOVE to have the labor department folks come over and have a chat with them. There is nothing like a little heart to heart chat with the department of labor to make any employers day. If you are screwing over the consumers... you will be caught and dealt with. That is why the gubmint has a small army of lawyers to deal with the bad apples. The problem there is often times these people screwing the country are not breaking any laws... and who makes the laws? If your company is screwing over the country then you have even bigger problems because your sorry ass will wind up in jail.

My original point still stands. If you are an honest, hard working, taxpaying and law abiding business man it is NONE of any bodys damn business how much you make for your blood, sweat and tears. Holmes you seem to be stating that everybody in business making a lot of money must be effing somebody along the way. I still think good old Hank Jr was spot on... if you mind your own business then you won't be minding mine. Do you have a problem with a business person that makes 10 thousand a day and is playing the game by all the rules? Maybe that is your business to get into that persons business as well. If I am understanding you correctly... no one has the right to be making that kind of money. If they are then they have to be doing something wrong. It is sad enough most of these business folks have the gubmint crawling up their rear ends 24/7/365. The new enemy is every day Americans don't want you earning "too much money" That is not right or fair anymore, hard work shouldn't pay off for anybody. :roll:
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm It is shocking how such intelligent men can understand so little about how money works. Do you think Bill Gates sits at home on a mound of cash while he considers how many pizzas to order? Do you know what stock even is?

Stock is ownership. Next question.

Agreed with most of what you said....C&S is right, no matter what we say or do, not much seems to change, when it comes to the money.
foreverlax

Post by foreverlax »

cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Like I said... if they are not breaking the law, which would be covered under screwing over the taxpayers. The IRS is very good at making sure they get their fair share of the pie. In regards to screwing over workers... if you are in a union, then you need to discuss that with them. If you are not in a union here in NYS there exists the department of labor. All employers just LOVE to have the labor department folks come over and have a chat with them. There is nothing like a little heart to heart chat with the department of labor to make any employers day. If you are screwing over the consumers... you will be caught and dealt with. That is why the gubmint has a small army of lawyers to deal with the bad apples. The problem there is often times these people screwing the country are not breaking any laws... and who makes the laws? If your company is screwing over the country then you have even bigger problems because your sorry ass will wind up in jail.

My original point still stands. If you are an honest, hard working, taxpaying and law abiding business man it is NONE of any bodys damn business how much you make for your blood, sweat and tears. Holmes you seem to be stating that everybody in business making a lot of money must be effing somebody along the way. I still think good old Hank Jr was spot on... if you mind your own business then you won't be minding mine. Do you have a problem with a business person that makes 10 thousand a day and is playing the game by all the rules? Maybe that is your business to get into that persons business as well. If I am understanding you correctly... no one has the right to be making that kind of money. If they are then they have to be doing something wrong. It is sad enough most of these business folks have the gubmint crawling up their rear ends 24/7/365. The new enemy is every day Americans don't want you earning "too much money" That is not right or fair anymore, hard work shouldn't pay off for anybody. :roll:
You paycheck and how much you make from your job is my business. When your job is running a public company, regardless of whether I own stock or not. If you are a pol, I want to know what you make.

Otherwise, I could care less what someone makes. I do care that some people can't make it on what they do earn...which is what Holmes was suggesting.
holmes435

Post by holmes435 »

The people making the big bucks sure seem to want to stick their nose into my business. And their nose into the business of politics.

Income inequality traditionally leads to polarization and then bad times and societal upheaval if it goes on too long. The rich start to look tasty to those less fortunate than those of us here on the forums.
a fan

Post by a fan »

frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm It is shocking how such intelligent men can understand so little about how money works. Do you think Bill Gates sits at home on a mound of cash while he considers how many pizzas to order? Do you know what stock even is?
No. I don't know what stock is.

What do you think Gates has been doing with his money? Hint: google or wikipedia will help.

Hint #2: where is the Gates Foundation sending the bulk of its money? (pssst: it's leaving America)
frmanfan wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:23 pm It is ok, like dis, to just come out and say that you think wealth should be redistributed, because you don't think it is fair for the few to be so much more successful (financially, as if that is the only measure) than the many. This has happened many times throughout history, and it usually doesn't work out the way the confiscators say it will, as the confiscators run out of money before all the promised results happen, or the "rich" have no more money to confiscate. Look it up.
I did. How was America doing in the 1950's? None of those annoying libs anywhere in sight, right...so you can't blame them. Since you asked this foolish question, clearly you don't know: what was the top tax rate in America in 1950?

So now that you've answered that question, I have another: if the confiscatory tax rates of the 1950's "don't usually work out the way the confiscators say it will", what did these brutal taxes do to the American economy in the 1950's?

Here are your two choices, frmanfan. That top income tax rate of 91% in 1950 on the first dollar after $200,000 led to:

1. A Great Depression that lasted for years that history books forgot to mention, or

2. A GDP over 4% per year almost every year

Take your time. Think it over. Reread your boast about how horrible things happen when the rich are taxed, and then pick #1 or #2.

Now that I've given it to you as good as you gave it to me...... I'll tone it back down. ;)

As I wrote earlier---the problem is that we are ALL not paying enough Federal taxes. Not just the rich---the poor and middle class are skating without paying income taxes. This is clearly unsustainable. Doubly so if you want the new Green Deal.
old salt

Post by old salt »

Holy cow ! CA Gov just cx'd their high speed rail project.

https://abc30.com/politics/supporters-c ... n/5135410/

They'll complete the Bakersfield to Merced line already under construction.

Questions for CA residents or travelers familiar with CA's passenger rail network :

Will there be enough ridership on that line to cover the increased costs of high speed rail ?

Is there adequate connecting service to SoCal, Bay area & Sacramento to make that a viable alternate N-S corridor, rather than the coastal route ?

" Let's be real " : https://www.fresnobee.com/opinion/edito ... 60755.html

This is mind boggling.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

foreverlax wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:55 pm

You paycheck and how much you make from your job is my business. When your job is running a public company, regardless of whether I own stock or not. If you are a pol, I want to know what you make.

Otherwise, I could care less what someone makes. I do care that some people can't make it on what they do earn...which is what Holmes was suggesting.
When you hire on with any company there is a meeting of the minds. You will do the job they want you to do and they will pay you x amount of dollars. My part in this deal is to use x amount of dollars to run my household. If you can't make it on what you earn you either need to find another job or figure out where your money is going. This may seem harsh but since when is it any companies responsibility to pay more than what the prevailing wage is at the time? I know that any good business has a payroll budget that they need to stick to if they are going to compete in the world. My understanding is that wages are based on what similar positions are paying in the competitive market.

If you want to be generous as an employer and pay greater than what is the norm you had better be making enough money to justify the expense. Today, my company is allowing zero overtime because business is slow and it can't be justified. Our company had a pretty good year, our expectations for raises this year are pretty good. I understand that some folks have a hard time making it on what they earn. I have been there. When my sons were little I held 3 jobs for about a year and was working 60 to 70 hours a week and I hated it. That is what I had to do to get by. If what you are saying is that people are being underpaid in many fields of employment, that may or may not be true. Like I stated before, the prevailing wage is what it is. My job has always been to live within my means, not to expect more from my employer than we agreed on at the beginning of my employment. In my case my employer has recognized my abilities and has taken very good care of me.

Return to “POLITICS”