Johns Hopkins 2021

D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2021

Post by primitiveskills »

molo wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:00 pm That’s the first I’d heard about throwing Paul out of practice. The tongue lashings don’t surprise me. I’d heard they could be pretty personal. At least he had enough sense to kick Rabil out of practice and not games.
I recall Petro’s reference to political discussions he had with Rabil in his office. They must have been interesting.
That's a really important consideration here. The reality is that if you are a D1 athlete and overly sensitive to what a coach may be saying in the media, or what people on a message board(!) are saying about you, then its going to be difficult. The interactions and relationships that matter between player and coach are day-to-day, practice-to-practice. I know for certain that there are prominent players over the past 20 years that really struggled with Petro's practice-to-practice interactions. Not saying they we right or wrong, just saying that coaching styles and relationships are different between coaches and not necessarily everyone's cup of tea. If Milliman has solid and respectful reltionships with these guys on an everyday basis, what is said in the media and message boards matters less.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Jerry Smith/Pjs Tribute during pregame show tomorrow at 1035 am. Should've done hours on that, because I think it's important to show recruits there's a Hopkins community beyond the field and to reengage the lacrosse alumni but love that they're showing some appreciation like this to one of the best guys around the program. Also thought their pizza was criminally underrated.

For those that asked it's streamed on the youtube channel live
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCexKBM ... yOLY6cXekQ
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

Well, looks like I’m going to need to buy the 2021 version of this my Christmas tree this year.

Hunk-a-Hunk-a-Burning-Dumpster
Hunk-a-Hunk-a-Burning-Dumpster
3641C9F6-1825-48B6-AF57-EB31CEDC1839.jpeg (21.76 KiB) Viewed 2115 times

Already own this 2020 one.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:42 am
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:44 pm I feel like this has been discussed many times but you don't need to buy into the accuracy of HS recruiting rankings to understand that Petro was getting more than his fair share of the most sought-after kids. So maybe the conventional wisdom about those guys was wrong a lot of the time but Hopkins was still getting kids that Maryland, UVA, UNC, the Ivies, etc. also would have loved to have. So, yes, from that standpoint he "recruited" well. That many of those kids wound up not living up to expectations doesn't change the fact that they had their pick of schools, and picked Hopkins.

Kram—though I didn't necessarily agree I thought you brought up a relevant point about resources (especially this year...it's going to matter) but now you've pivoted to recruiting and trying to (inaccurately) critique the global standing of the university so it kinda just seems like at this point you're trolling and attacking things at random. But, hey, at least we're talking lacrosse.
I'm a fan of D3 sports and D3 lacrosse in particular. Quite familiar with Hopkins, the other Centennial schools, ODAC etc. And also quite familiar with many of the B1G and ACC schools. Been on and inside a lot of campuses over the past decade. IMO there is simply no comparison between any somewhat large D1 schools and Hopkins. Hopkins is just like every other D3 Centennial Conference school except they have a very nice lax building.

But here's the problem for Hopkins. Send a h/s kid through Homewood and the athletic offices on a normal Friday afternoon in the fall (When college recruiting tours occur). There's not much after the Cordish part of the tour. Then have a kid walk the same time through the OSU or UMD, or U Mich or even Rutger's athletic offices. There's a HUUGE difference. What message does that send a kid and recruit? Resources is a real issue.

Then there's simply the image of Hopkins. You Hopkins guys are rightfully proud of your history. But I'm currently coaching a bunch of MIAA kids and this generation of kids don't know about the Hopkins dominance or see them the same way many of you do. A few of their dads and grandfathers do. But it's just not the same. Hate to break it to you, but Hopkins doesn't have a great rep right now among the kids. The brand is stale and JHU is seen as "old school" lacrosse. What is JHU known for right now? A fun run and gun offense? Great suffocating defenses? Being a goalie school? Being a LSM factory? Having a dedicated coaching staff? Developing diamonds in the rough into great players? Outperforming expectations? Being a deadly NCAA tourney team?

I'd say none of the above, and that's what kids are looking for- an identity or something to hang their hat on in recruiting. You currently have a new crop of kids that sees UMD, Duke, UVA, Cuse and Yale as the bluechip schools. Then the rest are looking for the "next" and those things I mentioned and playing at schools that offer those things like Denver, Loyola, ND, OSU, Villlanova and Richmond.

And what comes first- the players or the wins? That is the challenge ahead for Milliman.
Jac Coyne gets it too:

https://twitter.com/jac_coyne/status/13 ... 67145?s=21
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Here is some better Twitter content

https://twitter.com/the_post_game/statu ... 40065?s=20
primitiveskills

Great start. This "shot from space" camera angle is going to take getting used to.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Grimes with 2 early.
primitiveskills

Kirson has to make some of these stops
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kirson isn’t even reacting to shots. Just standing there
primitiveskills

The eternal sorrow that is Hopkins goaltending
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

You want more than 20%?
Catbird

Post by Catbird »

Really surprised Kirson started today after his performance the last few weeks. Darby is no great shakes from what we've seen, but he did a marginal sight better than Josh when he got in last week, and at this point I'd take it.

Letting injured Terefenko score from 15 yards corner of the box? That's not Tre Leclaire firing that.

Amazing the inability of this program to field anything better than sub-par goaltending since Pierce Bassett left, except for about 6 weeks of Eric Schneider finally figured it out before graduating back in '15. The fact that we're back to talking about this is extremely disappointing.

What must they think of Tim Marcille if he can't even get a shot considering how his current associates have performed.
Last edited by Catbird on Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Kirson pulled, probably for the season
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:29 am Kirson pulled, probably for the season
Nevermind
primitiveskills

Well, a good start at least. Other positives:
- Avoiding turning the ball over by taking bad shots is critical for this offense. When they don't they can score.
- Narewski holding his own, but needs more help from the wings (Martin excepted; great play)
- Zinn looks mlike a natural SSDM
- Letting Grimes rotate out of that left wing spot will help him get shots.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

They need to give one of the freshmen a chance on 2nd mid instead of Baskin.

This is what rock bottom looks like.
primitiveskills

None of these OSU shots are great shots
primitiveskills

I think Milliman established the right precedent by saying when you are hurting the team, you sit for awhile. His issue is going to be applying that consistently. There's opportunity to do it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:34 am They need to give one of the freshmen a chance on 2nd mid instead of Baskin.

This is what rock bottom looks like.
I’m sure he’s a fine young man but it is incredibly hard to watch him on the field.
GSP

Post by GSP »

9-4. Looking problematic. If this does not change, Hop could easily be looking at being 2 and 8 going into the B10 tourney, Sad.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”