New England West 2021

HS Boys Lacrosse
random observer

Re: New England West 2021

Post by random observer »

Come to think of it, I notice that Brunswick has a pretty impressive schedule, but Taft and Deerfield are not on it. Avon is playing both Deerfield and Brunswick, and Taft and Deerfield are playing each other, so it doesn't appear that COVID guidelines are preventing these matchups. So why aren't they playing? I'd think that these are probably the two teams Brunswick would be most eager to play this year given how stacked all three are.

As for Wick's defense, if the Belmont Hill game footage is any indication, they are currently without two starting defenders (Charlie Johnson and Mario Rinaldi).
TotoketLax

Post by TotoketLax »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 pm Come to think of it, I notice that Brunswick has a pretty impressive schedule, but Taft and Deerfield are not on it. Avon is playing both Deerfield and Brunswick, and Taft and Deerfield are playing each other, so it doesn't appear that COVID guidelines are preventing these matchups. So why aren't they playing? I'd think that these are probably the two teams Brunswick would be most eager to play this year given how stacked all three are.

As for Wick's defense, if the Belmont Hill game footage is any indication, they are currently without two starting defenders (Charlie Johnson and Mario Rinaldi).
Related to scheduling this 2021 year, your logic makes sense. But weird COVId protocols are happening at the overall school level that are driving things. Some schools are giving leeway to each team (ie, Brunswick) to create innovative schedules. These are schools that value having “top” teams as a primary identity thing for the school. Others (mostly boarding schools) are not. Some boarding schools have created subgroups that they will primarily play with this year. Some are aggressive with schedules and setting 15-18 games (Brunswick, Lawrenceville). Others being conservative and setting 6-10 games (Choate).
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

random observer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:02 pm Come to think of it, I notice that Brunswick has a pretty impressive schedule, but Taft and Deerfield are not on it. Avon is playing both Deerfield and Brunswick, and Taft and Deerfield are playing each other, so it doesn't appear that COVID guidelines are preventing these matchups. So why aren't they playing? I'd think that these are probably the two teams Brunswick would be most eager to play this year given how stacked all three are.

It’s almost unbelievable that Wick would have a weak D with the top flight, 5 star talent they have, if some guys are out that might explain it
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Thought I’d compile the list of games this weekend as many teams begin their season. These are the only ones I could find.

AOF v Kent Fri/Sat
Westminster v Loomis Fri/Sat
Choate v Hotchkiss Sat
Brunswick v TP Fri/Sat

Anyone have any predictions? I heard Westy beat up on Choate in their scrimmage last Saturday.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

From what I understand, the powers that be are trying to make one or both of those matchups happen. If it doesn’t, it won’t be because teams didn’t want to play each other. As has been mentioned, different schools have different COVID rules, however inane they might be.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Don't know much about Penn Charter but Brunswiwck thumped them pretty good (18-9 final) down in Philly yesterday.
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Loomis beats westy 10-4 for their biggest win in the past five years. Score was 8-1 at the end of third. Trae ika (SJU) led with a dominating six goals. Westy struggled beating the first man with Loomis having some legit athletes at ssdm. LC goalie (Koch?- going to Merrimack) was big on the shots they were able to get off. I want to say he had 12-15 saves. Face offs were slightly favored to Westy, but not enough to make a difference.

Will be a fiesty one tomorrow as tempers flared near the end of the game. Probably bound to happen with the back to back games Friday Saturday
NEWestFan

Post by NEWestFan »

From yesterday as well. Brunswick 13 TP 5. Johnson and Rinaldi are back.

Play again today at 3pm.
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Westy takes game 2 over Loomis 8-5. Westy defense and goalie made some important stops in the fourth.
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Taft has a very local schedule ending with a joust at Deerfield on May 19th.

Check out https://www.taftschool.org/athletics/sp ... eam-id/212
Choate Rosemary Hall
4/17

Westminster School
4/23

Westminster School
4/24
2:30 pm

Loomis Chaffee School
4/30

Loomis Chaffee School
5/1

Hotchkiss
5/8

Hotchkiss
5/9

Brunswick School
5/12

Loomis Chaffee School
5/14
Deerfield Academy
5/19
4:30 pm
Deerfield Academy Away
3rdPersonPlural

Post by 3rdPersonPlural »

Whats up with this 2-games-same-opponent-in-2-days thing?

COVID, obviously. But what is the logic?
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

Schools test students on mon/tue and have results in hand for contests on fri/sat. You try to keep your bubble as small as possible so same opponent for both games....This is what the Lake Region schools did for fall and winter athletics and the ISL boarding schools are attempting something similar...
3rdPersonPlural wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:58 pm Whats up with this 2-games-same-opponent-in-2-days thing?

COVID, obviously. But what is the logic?
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Btw, good to see Brunswick and Taft will be playing each other. A lot of lacrosse between now and then but it could be a good one.
PrimeTime21

Post by PrimeTime21 »

ctbagataway wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:49 pm Btw, good to see Brunswick and Taft will be playing each other. A lot of lacrosse between now and then but it could be a good one.
Taft about to get worked. Paper tigers. Taft hasn't beaten Wick in at least a decade. Not about to stop now. Taft also doesn't get anywhere near first pick of the Fairfield and Westchester litter.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Brunswick over L'ville, 11-8.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Thought I'd put together the games this weekend again. The biggest matchup of the week is AOF- Salisbury as this is the first real matchup for both teams. These are Salisbury's first games and Avon's trouncing of Kent doesn't really indicate anything. Taft looks to establish themselves as the team to beat against Westy as they begin their West 1 schedule. Westy split the home and home this weekend against Loomis. Loomis plays Hotchkiss as both teams seek to get some wins under their belt. T-P and Kent square off and if the Avon game was any indication, TP should win handedly.

AOF- Salisbury: Fri, Sat
Taft- Westy: Sat
Hotchkiss- Loomis: Sat, Sun
T-P- Kent: Fri, Sat

Disappointed to see the Brunswick- Sebs game get cancelled. Would have been a fun matchup.
Michigan-Left

Post by Michigan-Left »

Can Trinity Pawling still win today with all their injuries?

The second half of the Brunswick game saw multiple starters go down some for the season…anyone else hear this.

Go BLUE
Dawgie

Post by Dawgie »

Avon with a big statement win 15-10 over Salisbury. Only could catch the second half, but supposedly the beavers were down 7-2 at the end of the first quarter. I was impressed my #6 for Avon who is only a sophomore, but has some big size and scored some timely goals. Home field advantage played a large part in the game with the Avon student section being quite boisterous. I assume tomorrow will be similar up in Salisbury.
MA Lax Fan

Post by MA Lax Fan »

“Only a sophomore” - LOL

Most sophomores aren’t 17 years old.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”